Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paolo's Plunge
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Tesheiner
Hi all,

Like every morning, I've just checked the latest info on the pancam web looking for the current and immediate future imaging plan and ...
Stay tuned and start Alt-F5'ing the exploratorium page at 19:35 UTC or so because today might be the day. Sol 1291 is a driving sol!

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
jamescanvin
I think your right Tesh.

This line is telling:

CODE
01291::p2360::12::16::0::0::16::2::34::pancam_mid_drive_4x1_L257R2

A colour pancam mosaic mid-drive, very unusual.

Looks like we are going to see a repeat of sol 133 at Endurance; get all six wheels in, take some pictures, then back right out again.

Hold on to your seats...
Stu
Not going to make a huge deal out of it... many moving and powerful words will be written elsewhere today about both the event itself and the anniversary... but I think it will be very fitting, in a way, if Oppy drives into VC today, carrying with her a small piece of one of the Twin Towers, as described in Steve's excellent book.

Click to view attachment

Hope no-one minds me pointing that out, but I thought we should mark the anniversary in some way.

Right, go get 'em Oppy! We're with you! smile.gif
OWW
That's a picture from Spirit.
Stu
I know it is, thanks, but both rovers carry a piece, and that's the best view I've found of one of them so far.
sattrackpro
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 11 2007, 02:42 AM) *
...I think it will be very fitting, in a way, if Oppy drives into VC today, carrying with her a small piece of one of the Twin Towers, as described in Steve's excellent book.
Wow... I did not know that, Stu - 'twould indeed be most fitting. Thanks for noting this little known (probably) fact.
ElkGroveDan
The WTC metal is the plate attached to the back of the RAT motor casing with the US flag on it.

EDIT just noticed Stu's image above.
Stu
Yep, that's the one, as labelled on the pic in my original posting.

The story of how those pieces of the WTC came to be on Mars is one of the most moving parts of the "Roving Mars" book, in my opinion, gives a very human dimension to the mission.
Del Palmer
QUOTE (sattrackpro @ Sep 11 2007, 02:21 PM) *
Wow... I did not know that, Stu - 'twould indeed be most fitting. Thanks for noting this little known (probably) fact.

The RAT WTC memorial was discussed at length on NASA TV by the RAT team in 2004, so I'm not sure one could consider it a little-known fact. wink.gif

The builder of the RAT was Honeybee Robotics -- their offices are just a few blocks from the WTC site.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (DEChengst @ Sep 11 2007, 09:45 PM) *

Given this fhazcam image and this other one from the rhazcam, I think we are actually on top of the drift.

Edited: In the same fhazcam we can see the tracks telling that Opportunity got at least its front wheels on the slope.

PS: I'm replying here on "Back to work" to keep this one as the active thread.
BrianL
Looks that way to me too, and makes sense to test the driveability of the ripple before contemplating any movement into the crater. See if there are traction issues that could affect backing out.

Brian
mhoward
It looks like the drift is not an issue. That's great news.
Tman
Yeah, though it seems Oppy got a bit slippage while driving back, but it's not a problem I think.
Tesheiner
A clean path right ahead! biggrin.gif
May I call this mosaic "Paolo's plunge site"
Click to view attachment

> Yeah, but it seems Oppy got a bit slippage while driving back, though it's not a problem I think.

Think the same. The tracks reminds me of Purgatory, in that section where Opportunity was starting to slip.
Indian3000
and my version

Click to view attachment

and vertial projection

Click to view attachment
Indian3000
and a other 360° projection with front and rear cam

Click to view attachment
hortonheardawho
sol 1291 R0 1x3:

L0 1x3 here

All the images have sky-flat dusty lens corrections.
jamescanvin
You know, I think we may have gone further in than the tracks suggest. The tracks end where the surface transitions to rock and so Oppy could have gone further without making any (hazcam visible) tracks.

The tracking database suggests that Oppy backed up ~3.8m, that's over twice her length, out from inside Victoria (and about 70cm vertical decent/ascent). This could be inaccurate if there had been much slippage but it doesn't look that way to me as both the in and out data are consistent.

EDIT: A quick bit of photogrammetry seems to confirm this, objects are about 3m closer in the mid-drive pancams than in the end of drive navcams.

Oppy really did go right into Victoria! smile.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

Take that Cassini!

James
mhoward
I can't wait to get a look at that tracking data. Later this evening... biggrin.gif
alan
Mars rover begins risky downward drive
Opportunity takes a ‘toe dip’ into the biggest crater it’s ever visited

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20726395/
mhoward
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 12 2007, 12:10 AM) *

Hmm... that mosaic looks suspiciously non-JPL.
mhoward
I don't know how accurate the tracking data is, but I know I like it wink.gif

And it looks about right to me, actually.
mhoward
On closer inspection, I agree it looks like there was some slippage on the way out. And yet the tracking data seems to be about right. I think we are currently parked on top of the drift, so maybe we didn't make it out quite all the way yet. Looking forward to some more images or news.

mhoward
Ah, looks like the news is already here. That's what I get for not checking the official site.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2007-99b
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 11 2007, 04:42 AM) *
Not going to make a huge deal out of it... many moving and powerful words will be written elsewhere today about both the event itself and the anniversary... but I think it will be very fitting, in a way, if Oppy drives into VC today, carrying with her a small piece of one of the Twin Towers, as described in Steve's excellent book.

Click to view attachment

Hope no-one minds me pointing that out, but I thought we should mark the anniversary in some way.
Right, go get 'em Oppy! We're with you! smile.gif
Stu: ...many powerful words, indeed. Thank you very much for pointing out the significance of this date for the crater entry, and the special metal samples carried by each rover. Although it was intended to be a "quiet tribute," the fact that it wasn't noted elsewhere today is sad.
Geographer
Damn, these freakin' rovers!! They put such a smile on my face. Nearly four years on and they're still going. No dunes, sandstorms, or Martian winters can stop these badasses.
mhoward
Here's a little video of Paolo's Plunge, according to the tracking data. I'll do a nicer one sometime.
Tesheiner
Ok. Sol 1291 was the day in which Opportunity moved into and out of this slope.
But when will be the day to go IN to stay there? It's today, sol 1293!

CODE
01293::p1151::04::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
01293::p1212::09::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15
01293::p1312::07::2::0::0::2::0::4::rear_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15
01293::p1909::08::8::0::0::8::0::16::navcam_4x1_RVRAZ_0_Elneg17_3bpp
01293::p2361::12::6::0::0::6::1::13::pancam_duck_bay_change_detection_L256
01293::p2362::12::16::0::0::16::2::34::pancam_drive_dir_4x1_L257R1
01293::p2363::12::8::0::0::8::2::18::pancam_drive_target_L257R1

The images might hit the exploratorium around 20:35 UTC.
jamescanvin
Because of Iapetus I still haven't got a dust compensation flat fielding routine up and running, so this isn't great.

It is however our first view taken from inside Victoria and shows (I think) a good part of the ground the Oppy will be driving over on this first decent.

James
mhoward
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 13 2007, 01:19 PM) *
Because of Iapetus I still haven't got a dust compensation flat fielding routine up and running, so this isn't great.

When you get said dust compensation routine up and running, some of use would be interested in hearing the technical details... rolleyes.gif
hortonheardawho
sol 1291 L257 1x4:

Without at least a 1/3 overlap I don't think a dust compensation flat field mask will work on the 8 bit JPG data.

I hope that the Cornell Pancam Images will have a dust correction.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 13 2007, 03:19 PM) *
It is however our first view taken from inside Victoria

... and this one might be the second. It's the navcam mosaic taken at the same position inside VC; same pointing but a bigger fov.

Click to view attachment
SpaceListener
How can the entry surface of Duck Bay is so smooth, no boulders or stones? It seems that something has ironed it.
climber
QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Sep 13 2007, 05:12 PM) *
How can the entry surface of Duck Bay is so smooth, no boulders or stones? It seems that something has ironed it.

Endurance was as smooth as this, wasn'it?
stevesliva
The smoothness of the bays versus the boulder-strewn capes... not sure there is any consensus there!

Look for the discussions on "capes" and "bays" that are the terms used to describe Victoria Crater's scalloped appearance.
SpaceListener
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 13 2007, 10:45 AM) *
Endurance was as smooth as this, wasn'it?

Yes, indeed, Endurance's lateral surface is similar to Victoria's bay (no Capes). This case puzzles me about these stones were laid down as smooth as possible.

The only idea that is arised in my mind: "When that place was so hot soon after an asteroid had impacted. It was like a magma and the left stones from the asteroid impact were able to accommodate to the Mars' gravity."
kenny
We discussed this issue, the apparently planed smoothness of the slopes irrespective of the irregular composition of mixed boulders and matrix, quite a while back and I can't yet find where. But the answer we came to was aeons of erosion by wind and wind-borne dust grains, slowly grinding the jumbled boulders and ejecta mass down into a plane surface. It was deposited lumpy and irregular by the impact, then slowly smoothed down over an enormous period of time.

Kenny
dburt
An alternative hypothesis for Victoria is that the bays were long ago smoothed by wind abrasion, whereas the steeper capes are still shedding debris. Victoria may well be older than Endurance, most of which, except where Oppy entered, was relatively steep.
- HDP Don

Edit: Ooops. Kenny, we both answered "wind" at the same time. Obviously, I was referring to post #36 above. Incidentally, one could equally well (probably better) argue that Endurance is older than Victoria, and the morphological differences mainly result from Endurance's smaller size.
.dk
We are inside! smile.gif

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...JZP1312L0M1.JPG
Indian3000
sol 1293

Click to view attachment
djellison
A bit of photoshop, a lot of MMB..the view of the 'dip'

Doug
Indian3000
and front rear cam 360°

Click to view attachment
WindyT
QUOTE (Indian3000 @ Sep 13 2007, 09:38 PM) *
sol 1293
Love the fractures that seem to run straight down into the crater. That one right in the center of your composite, especially. Post crater formation, yes?
Indian3000
a manual merge between panorama sol 1291 and sol 1293

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
What about the slope angle?
What I've got from the mobility data tells me the rover is on a (at least) 15º slope.
djellison
I call this one... dip and dive smile.gif
jamescanvin
Ooh, I'm liking that one Doug. smile.gif wheel.gif

I've (kind of) got something working to correct for dust on the lens, still a lot of work to be done, not far past 'proof of concept' at the moment. I'm reposting the sol 1291 both because even my current crude routine improves the mosaic a lot and also, by some fluke this process has also outputted (to my eye) a much more pleasing colour.

Right, must dash, going away for the weekend...

James
mhoward
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2007, 12:21 PM) *
I call this one... dip and dive smile.gif

Nice one, Doug. Getting it to properly hide behind the drift like that must have been a bit of work.

If you turn off the left camera eye checkbox in the panorama settings, you will get a better view there. I've pretty much given up on Oppy's left cameras for now ( sad.gif ), but I'm now de-vignetting the right eye images for her.
jvandriel
For the computer guys,

is it possible to make and publish, here in Unmanned Spaceflight.com,

a small computer programme to correct the dust on the lens

of Opportunity.

It will be much appreciated by a lot of members.

jvandriel
alan
Current Location
Click to view attachment

Original image can be found here:
http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_...cape_verde.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.