Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pool: Arrival at Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
mars loon
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 15 2006, 10:32 PM) *
Cleaned up the title.

thanks
as long as we're fix'in, how about that strange punctuation .,
mhoward
QUOTE (mars loon @ Aug 15 2006, 11:14 PM) *
thanks
as long as we're fix'in, how about that strange punctuation .,

Sheesh, you guys are sticklers. Okay. smile.gif

Can't do anything about the comma - Invision adds that.
mars loon
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 15 2006, 11:48 PM) *
Sheesh, you guys are sticklers. Okay. smile.gif

Can't do anything about the comma - Invision adds that.

looks great

you are indeed a man of many talents biggrin.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (mars loon @ Aug 15 2006, 05:05 PM) *
...has "arrival" been herein precisely defined ?

I thought our definition of "arrival" at a crater was the point at which the pancam and navcam lenses can see the floor of the crater down at least to its geometric center. Just seeing the far wall isn't enough.

-the other Doug
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 15 2006, 08:05 PM) *
I thought our definition of "arrival" at a crater was the point at which the pancam and navcam lenses can see the floor of the crater down at least to its geometric center. Just seeing the far wall isn't enough.

This is one area where O-Doug and I agree. I think someone suggested a few months back the first photo of any part of the dunes inside the crater was the arrival date.
djellison
QUOTE (mars loon @ Aug 15 2006, 11:05 PM) *
"arrival" been herein precisely defined ?

Yes. It is the first sol the rover spends at the site and drive number where it takes the large pancam mosaic that will obviously be taken of the crater. It's not the day that mosaic starts being taken, it's the day the rover is first on that site.

That definition has been in place for several months, and is something that I will determine at the time ( which is why I asked previously for my guestimate to be taken out for the sake of impartiality )

However despite a clear definition, I'm sure, as I expect will be the case with the far/near rim nonsense, it will results in a lengthy, pointless argument and debate that will end up with some deleted posts.

Doug
BrianL
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 16 2006, 01:54 AM) *
However despite a clear definition, I'm sure, as I expect will be the case with the far/near rim nonsense, it will results in a lengthy, pointless argument and debate that will end up with some deleted posts.

No it won't. biggrin.gif

Brian
dvandorn
QUOTE (BrianL @ Aug 16 2006, 11:36 AM) *
No it won't. biggrin.gif

Brian

Yes, it will!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
MizarKey
With the past couple of days drives, it looks like sol933 isn't out of the question...too cool.

laugh.gif
RNeuhaus
Now Oppy is on its Sol 916 and 317 meters away from the close to beacon (in straight line of its track). It is 4 days for starting the selecting the winner! smile.gif

If doing a simple maths, Oppy advancing at an average of 35 meters per sol in a week: that is 317 meters - 30 meters (before to rim for a slow motion) = 287/35 = 8.2 days + 4 days for recognizing => Total would be 13 days

I feel that Oppy will slow down few tens meters before arriving the rim. So my forecast is that the arrival would be in 13 soles.

So , it look like that the winners would be between Mizarkey and up to Climber only when the travel plan is almost a non-stop up to rim.

CODE
920    MaxSt          
921    Mony python
933    MzarKey        
934    Atomoid        
935    Climber        
940    Toma B        
942    Michaelcapobianco    
947    Rneuhaus        
948    Rakhir        
958    Airbag        
960    Tesheiner        
969    mars_loon        
973    Jamescanvin        
980    Adam        
987    Imipak        
998    Dvandorn        
999    Chris        
1000    General    
#1000    Djellison   Not in pool - acting adjudicator
1003    Ant103        
1013    Decepticon        
1014    Joffan        
1024    Marsman    
1024    Um3k        
1036    Alan        
1066    Pertinax    
1110    Bob Shaw    
1111    Nirgal        
1124    Reckless    
1138    Hendric        
1237    Nprev        
1500    OWW        
1500    Akuo        
1500    CosmicRocker

wheel.gif wheel.gif pancam.gif wheel.gif

Rodolfo
RNeuhaus
Today is 930 Mars sol.
New update, It seems very probably that Oppy will get in touch to VC by between September 18 and 24. That is between 13 and 20 soles only if there is no any safe mode interruption. The probably winners would be :

between 943 and 950 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

CODE
920    MaxSt           --> out      
921    Mony python --> out
933    MzarKey        
934    Atomoid        
935    Climber        
940    Toma B        
942    Michaelcapobianco    
947    Rneuhaus        
948    Rakhir        
958    Airbag        
960    Tesheiner        
969    mars_loon        
973    Jamescanvin        
980    Adam        
987    Imipak        
998    Dvandorn        
999    Chris        
1000    General    
#1000    Djellison   Not in pool - acting adjudicator
1003    Ant103        
1013    Decepticon        
1014    Joffan        
1024    Marsman    
1024    Um3k        
1036    Alan        
1066    Pertinax    
1110    Bob Shaw    
1111    Nirgal        
1124    Reckless    
1138    Hendric        
1237    Nprev        
1500    OWW        
1500    Akuo        
1500    CosmicRocker

Rodolfo
climber
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 5 2006, 06:56 PM) *
Today is 930 Mars sol.
The probably winners would be :between 943 and 950 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Rodolfo

You've only got 4 more sols to think about it tongue.gif
Tesheiner
Perhaps the MER team should plan a science stop here at Epsilon.
What do you think, climber? tongue.gif tongue.gif
Rakhir
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 5 2006, 06:56 PM) *
The probably winners would be :

between 943 and 950 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Rodolfo,

your guesstimate suits me fine biggrin.gif

-- Rakhir
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Rakhir @ Sep 5 2006, 04:07 PM) *
Rodolfo,

your guesstimate suits me fine biggrin.gif

-- Rakhir

Please ssssshhhhhh!!! not yet wink.gif
Rodolfo
Airbag
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 5 2006, 04:34 PM) *
Perhaps the MER team should plan a science stop here at Epsilon.
What do you think, climber? tongue.gif tongue.gif

I agree, a medium length stop would work well smile.gif

Airbag
mars loon
QUOTE (Airbag @ Sep 6 2006, 12:33 AM) *
I agree, a medium length stop would work well smile.gif

Yes. certainly a few more days to insure the highest quality science, no accidental tumbling, no dangling IDD and the Most Breathtaking Pan to ignite media attention!

would be appropriate tongue.gif smile.gif

ken
CosmicRocker
While I doubt they will, I could imagine sticking around this little cluster of craters for a while to do some science, but I am having a hard time coming up with 570 sols worth. laugh.gif
Bobby
Is this Rear Hazcam Image from a new drive today (September 5th) or is this from yesterdays drive???

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P1375R0M1.JPG
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 6 2006, 01:42 PM) *
Is this Rear Hazcam Image from a new drive today (September 5th) or is this from yesterdays drive???

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P1375R0M1.JPG

It's from yestersol (929) - no driving tosol
Bobby
Thanks James and posted this in the wrong thread unsure.gif
climber
Sorry guys, I still have a little chance but most of you don't tongue.gif
Pedal to the metal pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease wheel.gif
Pando
I'll make a prediction. Either of these two. It's going to be close.

940 Toma B
942 Michaelcapobianco

(note that I never signed up for this pool) smile.gif
climber
Note that (more or less biggrin.gif ) my maths weren't that far
Here is how I did my bet :

That' an easy one !
Take launch date of Spirit and Oppy 1006 and 0707; add them = 1707. Divide by 2 = 854
Difference between actual sol 773 and 854 is 854-773 = 81. Now, You just add it to 854....and
SOL 935 is my bet
Climber

If I didn't did this error of calculation, (1006 + 0707 give 1713 and not 1707) I would may be have been right smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 16 2006, 08:54 AM) *
Yes. It is the first sol the rover spends at the site and drive number where it takes the large pancam mosaic that will obviously be taken of the crater. It's not the day that mosaic starts being taken, it's the day the rover is first on that site.

That definition has been in place for several months, and is something that I will determine at the time ( which is why I asked previously for my guestimate to be taken out for the sake of impartiality )

Doug

According to this definition and taking into account last SS's update:

"Our current plan is to take some Navcam images from the arrival point at the alcove, pick either Cape Verde or Cabo Frio, and then move out onto the chosen promontory and take what should be one heck of a spectacular Pancam panorama."

Arrival won't be just a few (two?) driving sols in the future but we should consider driving to Cabo Verde too.

I like that! tongue.gif
djellison
LOL - the rule still stands - as it has stood for a long time ( and plenty long enough for people to have changed their minds ) - and I still maintain that until we stop to have a proper look, we've not 'arrived' smile.gif

Doug
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 15 2006, 12:28 PM) *
According to this definition and taking into account last SS's update:

"Our current plan is to take some Navcam images from the arrival point at the alcove, pick either Cape Verde or Cabo Frio, and then move out onto the chosen promontory and take what should be one heck of a spectacular Pancam panorama."

Arrival won't be just a few (two?) driving sols in the future but we should consider driving to Cabo Verde too.

I like that! tongue.gif

Tesheiner you're a DEVIL wink.gif biggrin.gif You CAN'T be right tongue.gif I'll do a Riot too if it's Sol 960

Edit : As you've seen, RIOTS pay OFF (see Ustrax's)
Pavel
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Aug 22 2006, 11:47 AM) *
CODE
948    Rakhir        
958    Airbag        

I guess Rakhir is the winner.
general
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 27 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Not yet...
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=69993

laugh.gif
RNeuhaus
The winner will receive prizes!, and also for the second and third places with some kind of champagne to splash overall laugh.gif

Rodolfo
Rakhir
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 27 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Let's wait for Doug's decision...
The suspense is killing me ! ohmy.gif
Airbag
Same here! Can we really see enough of the crater yet to warrant a full pancam mosaic though? I guess we'll find out in the next few sols... wink.gif

Airbag
djellison
I think we could be several sols from it yet.

Doug
Pando
Well Doug, make up your mind, since NASA already said it on their website: smile.gif

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20060927b.html
NASA's Mars rover Opportunity reached the rim of "Victoria Crater" in Mars' Meridiani Planum region with a 26-meter (85-foot) drive during the rover's 951st Martian day, or sol (Sept. 26, 2006).

I'd say that qualifies for 'arrival.' But yeah, we may have a few meters to go to reach the edge; then again, this thing is so huge that we may be nitpicking...

I would also mention that the peaked excitement the Sol 951 images caused in this forum also qualifies as 'arrival'.

And the fact that for the first time we can see the dune field, the absolute center bottom of this crater.

wink.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Pando @ Sep 27 2006, 08:11 PM) *
...we may have a few meters to go...

It's not a matter of how close to the edge they get, but where they park to take the initial full panorama. They haven't even decided where that will be, let alone arrived at it! I do remember that at one point the suggestion was made to have the first image of the central ripples mark arrival. But that was supplanted by arrival at the location from which the first full panorama is taken at some point. (Hey! I don't make the rules, I just try to understand them.)
djellison
The UMSF 'arrival' definition has been known for months and months. You all know the rules, you all had the chance to change your predictions....and you all know it's engineered so we 'arrive' during my Glog week wink.gif (Not really - but that's how it's looking to me at the moment )

Doug
djellison
Part one of the Duck Bay pan starts tomorrow (953) - so I declare 952 as the arrrival sol.

Rakhir is indeed - THE WINNER

smile.gif

Doug
Nix
Congratulations Rakhir smile.gif

Nico
RNeuhaus
Hello Rakhir,

Congratulations of your great luck. I remember that you chose my sol date and you realized that the sol was taken by me and you advanced further one sol. Again congratulations. It is unbelievle that we come so close to that date. wink.gif

Happy Victoria Beer! biggrin.gif

Rodolfo
jamescanvin
And a special mention to Ilbasso who in the original pool some 14 months ago was the closest (875). Not only that, but if you discount the 80 sols we spent at Erebus (651 - 731, the first 'real' drive) he was only 3 sols out! wink.gif
Airbag
Ah, nobody ever remembers who came in second smile.gif or third! blink.gif

Congrats Rakhir!

Airbag
Rakhir
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 29 2006, 12:08 AM) *
Part one of the Duck Bay pan starts tomorrow (953) - so I declare 952 as the arrrival sol.

Rakhir is indeed - THE WINNER

smile.gif

Doug

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thank you for all !

It's an honour to win a pool in such a great forum for the arrival at such a great place on Mars !

After this long trek from Endurance, it's time now to look at some beautiful pans, uncover some secrets from Victoria and Mars history
... and to open some good bottles. Champagne anyone ?

And congratulations to Rodolfo and Airbag for the second and third place, and to Ilbasso for the special mention of the original pool.

BTW, what is the price Doug ? smile.gif

-- Rakhir

Edit : Corrected second and third place as Doug declared 952 as the arrival sol (Rodolfo 5 days off, Airbag 6 days off)
clt510
QUOTE (Rakhir @ Sep 28 2006, 11:38 PM) *
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thank you for all !

It's an honour to win a pool in such a great forum for the arrival at such a great place on Mars !

After this long trek from Endurance, it's time now to look at some beautiful pans, uncover some secrets from Victoria and Mars history
... and to open some good bottles. Champagne anyone ?
And congratulations to Airbag and Rodolfo for the second and third place, and to Ilbasso for the special mention of the original pool.

BTW, what is the price Doug ? smile.gif

-- Rakhir

how do we go about collecting a little happy for Rakhir. I'd pop $5US for a nice bottle of champagne for him (& I didn't even participate in the "contest").
ToSeek
Huzzah!
climber
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Aug 22 2006, 05:47 PM) *
920 MaxSt
921 Mony python
933 MzarKey
934 Atomoid
935 Climber
940 Toma B
942 Michaelcapobianco
947 Rneuhaus
948 Rakhir
958 Airbag
960 Tesheiner
969 mars_loon
973 Jamescanvin
980 Adam
987 Imipak
998 Dvandorn
999 Chris
1000 General
#1000 Djellison Not in pool - acting adjudicator
1003 Ant103
1013 Decepticon
1014 Joffan
1024 Marsman
1024 Um3k
1036 Alan
1066 Pertinax
1110 Bob Shaw
1111 Nirgal
1124 Reckless
1138 Hendric
1237 Nprev
1500 OWW
1500 Akuo
1500 CosmicRocker

Regarding this very old trait, beware that OWW, Akuo & CosmicRocker didn't believe at this time that we'll be even at Victoria by now! Do NOT laught Nprev, your bet was for today! rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.