Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn approaches Ceres
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Dawn
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Habukaz
Spot 1 is considerably bigger in the sense that it is a resolved feature, while spot 5 occupies less than one pixel at that resolution.
Explorer1
Some minor news while waiting for the images: the Ceres model has been updated in the simulated view with the new info.

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/live_shots.asp

Looks about halfway illuminated now....
Gladstoner
Trying to make sense of the recently released color map....

The area corresponding with the long-known Piazzi feature appears here to be a 'yellowish' region possibly surrounded by a 'frosty blue' 'halo':

Click to view attachment

Same area in RC2 images:

Click to view attachment

Without markings:

Click to view attachment

I think this area will prove to be quite interesting once we get the hi-res images.
elakdawalla
One thing I noticed in the caption to this map (emphasis mine):
Images taken using blue (440 nanometers), green (550 nanometers) and infrared (920 nanometers) spectral filters were combined to create the map. The filters were assigned to color channels in reverse order, compared to natural color; in other words, the short-wavelength blue images were assigned to the red color channel and the long-wavelength infrared images are assigned to the blue color channel.
JohnVV
and that false color map is the SAME!!! data from the other images from the feb25 first close approach
THE SAME ( the gray scale part is )

nothing really new for that bright spot

now in a few days ...........
wildespace
Any idea why the order of colours has been reversed?

Here they are in the conventional order by wavelength:

Click to view attachment
NASA/JPL-Caltech/UCLA/MPS/DLR/IDA
Processing by M. Kakitsev

Just a guess, but I suppose that the reddish areas is old, space-weathered surface, while the blue-green areas is freshly-exposed material.
Astro0
ADMIN NOTE: A number of posts related to Dawn observations post the March 6th arrival have been moved to the 'first orbit' discussion. Please ONLY post information here if it is relevant to the 'approach' phase of Ceres.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.