Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring at Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PDP8E
OPPY took this color image near sunset on 3017 (July 20th?) It just got down yesterday?
SOL 3017 would put it near Sao Gabriel, just before the hop over to Whim.
I see a 'gysum' like rock in the masthead shadow?
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
The foreground mosaic taken on Sol's 3032 and 3034.
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
And the False color.
Click to view attachment
belleraphon1
Nice False color!

Oppy..... we have not forgotten you! May you have many more new vistas for us.

Craig
elakdawalla
I know it's false color but I still find the contrast between the two different colors of rocks surprising. And cool.
walfy
Strange frothy rock there, that a wheel drover over partially.

Click to view attachment
walfy
Some nice layered rocks here:

Click to view attachment
walfy
I will always love you, Oppy, despite the new girl. wink.gif

A nice assortment of rocks makes for a fine anaglyph once again:

Click to view attachment
Pertinax
Interesting vein of seemingly more erosion resistant material running through the slabs just above the RAT in Walfly's last post (#508).

*** Warning: the following geology question is from an old Meteorologist, and may be dangerous to the health of true geologists. wink.gif ***

Would it be a reasonable assumption that this vein postdated the impact that produced Endeavour?

-- Pertinax
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Pertinax @ Aug 9 2012, 01:27 PM) *
Interesting vein.... reasonable assumption that this vein postdated the impact that produced Endeavour?
I don't know if there's been a consensus on this yet, but if these layered rocks are part of the sulphate Meridiani layers set down after the impact then your assumption would be correct because the layered rocks themselves would postdate the impact.

p.s. Also not a geologist
walfy
Wonderful wind-worn rock, from sol 3037:

Click to view attachment
walfy
Experimenting with panoramas. There are some great new sets that Oppy sent down recently. Since none of the pano-meisters have posted yet, here's a quick nav-cam pano from sol 3036. So cool to be in the creek!

Click to view attachment
Joffan
Nice pan waify
QUOTE (walfy @ Aug 9 2012, 11:13 PM) *
So cool to be in the creek!
It really is pretty awesome.
Eutectic
QUOTE (walfy @ Aug 10 2012, 12:13 AM) *
...a quick nav-cam pano from sol 3036. So cool to be in the creek!

Or standing in the middle of the street. I want to look over my shoulder for the bulldozer that carved this thing. The latest processes shaping it appear to post-date the original layering in the trench, development of the light-toned upper surface to either side, and formation of the rough terrain surrounding Cape York. Fascinating.
Marz
QUOTE (Eutectic @ Aug 10 2012, 11:12 PM) *
Or standing in the middle of the street. I want to look over my shoulder for the bulldozer that carved this thing. The latest processes shaping it appear to post-date the original layering in the trench, development of the light-toned upper surface to either side, and formation of the rough terrain surrounding Cape York. Fascinating.

Awesome pan, walfy! I'm assuming this feature is an expansion-related dip-slip fault?
walfy
Lots of nice new rock shots coming down. Here's one in particular:

Click to view attachment
nprev
That's a beauty!!! I NEVER get tired of the odd ways these sulfate-rich rocks erode!
SFJCody
Looks like there may be a drive sol planned for sol 3040... wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif Now the race for the clays is really on!
climber
QUOTE (walfy @ Aug 12 2012, 07:12 AM) *

Looks like a reverted crocodile.
Tesheiner
Opened a new thread to cover the trek by the east side. New pictures and discussion should be done there but everything related to Whim Creek should still be posted here.
jamescanvin
Whim Creek Mosaic

James
Ant103
It's not too late, I think.

Sol 3020 panorama, I really love the light angle.

@James : excellent work, as usual smile.gif
MahFL
QUOTE (walfy @ Aug 12 2012, 05:12 AM) *

Did Oppy break the rock in the background ? If so they must be dry and brittle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.