Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring at Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
fredk
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 28 2012, 07:42 PM) *
It's worth sending an email to Mark asking him some of these questions. Worst is he doesn't answer!

Just got a reply from Mark about a new server for Oppy pics. See post here...
Lucas
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 11 2012, 05:12 PM) *
Just got word ODY is in safe mode again. They do not know what is the cause of the safe mode yet.

Paolo

Looks like ODY is back in business! smile.gif

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/odyssey/...ey20120713.html

--Lucas
RoverDriver
Yes but unfortunatly not in time to let me drive on Wednesday. Good thing I am on shift on Friday!

Paolo
RoverDriver
Friday 20, 2012 at 9am PDT the Opportunity SOWG meeting will be broadcast here I will play the role of RP1. Hopefully there will be something for me to do.

Paolo
brellis
yay! I'll be sitting on pins and wheels!
Stu
Oppy's been moving... Crater up ahead...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Down near Whim Creek now... look to the left, Oppy!

Phil
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 19 2012, 07:21 AM) *

Phil

Not so fast. I think that tomorrow we will be asked to drive to that crater and if they find some juicy stuff they will IDD. The idea is to flush flash (no pun intended) before MSL landing. During that period there will be little activity as passes will be very, very limited and therefore whatever observations will be done will likely stay on flash for a while. It is sort of like a mini conjunction stand-down. Darn it, when we had passes we did not have power. When power came back, ODY went into safe mode. Now we have power and ODY, but we do not have flash. When we will have power, and flash we will not have ODY. Is this some kind of musical chairs or something? mad.gif

Paolo
Stu
Yep, it sucks, Paolo, but as the First Hundred were fond of saying in the days after their landing...

Shikita ga nai...

rolleyes.gif
mhoward
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 19 2012, 09:21 AM) *

Turns out she completed a full Navcam pan four sols ago; the images just aren't down yet. She's been sitting here since sol 3010 and it's now late on 3016. At least we finally have a few images!

Paolo: it's frustrating even to watch.

MERB3010DriveDirection on Flickr
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 19 2012, 07:32 AM) *
Yep, it sucks, Paolo, but as the First Hundred were fond of saying in the days after their landing...

Shikita ga nai...

rolleyes.gif

Today I did some more scripting. laugh.gif

CODE
echo Shikita ga nai... | awk '{print substr($1,1,3) substr($1,6,1) ",", substr($3,1,1) sin($1) substr($1,6,1), substr($3,2,1) $2 substr($3,3,1) substr($3,1,1) "!"}'
Stu
Brilliant!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
fredk
Thanks for the update, Paolo!

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 19 2012, 03:21 PM) *
We can already see Whim Creek to our left in the R hazcam:
Click to view attachment
(That's not an Endeavour floor feature!) Can't wait for the navcams - pancam would be better still...

In other news, weather conditions have been updated with the new downlink and it looks like the winter days of extra low tau may be over...
marsophile
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 19 2012, 07:36 AM) *
Oppy's been moving... Crater up ahead...

No massive ejecta blocks like we saw at Odyssey crater. Yet it doesn't look old (not filled). An impact into soft soil?
climber
Be carrefull Paolo, you're gona drive OUTSIDE Eduardo's map...could be an abys there.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (climber @ Jul 19 2012, 03:46 PM) *
Be carrefull Paolo, you're gona drive OUTSIDE Eduardo's map...could be an abys there.

OK, Eduardo, how far can I wheel.gif tomorrow? laugh.gif

Paolo
SFJCody
http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...0OP1975L0M1.JPG

There's something very lunar about this particular view. The location of the rover wrt to Cape York brings the horizon closer, and the small crater reminds me of some I've seen in Apollo landing site photos.
fredk
Hmmm... I think you're right:
Click to view attachment
laugh.gif
SFJCody
laugh.gif Perfect! Apart from those wind-blown drifts in the foreground.
Stu
Pretty, pretty place...

Click to view attachment

3D view here: http://twitpic.com/a9lvzd/full
Tesheiner
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 20 2012, 03:19 AM) *
OK, Eduardo, how far can I wheel.gif tomorrow? laugh.gif

Paolo

<lurk mode off>
As many hundreds of km as you want, please! laugh.gif

BTW, I'm on vacations right now so would probably not update the route map in a while.
<lurk mode on>
jvandriel
Sol 3010.
The Pancam L2 view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
Yesterday I was interviewed for NASA Edge, hopefully I did not make a fool of myself, please be kind when it comes out. The combination of driving scarecrow, wearing a black t-shirt under the afternoon summer Sun in SoCal, not a good combination. blink.gif See you all in an hour!

Paolo
CosmicRocker
I've never done a G+ hangout before. Will there be a link on #HangoutOnAir?

I don't see one yet.

Never mind. I found it.
marsophile
I'm not getting any audio from the hangout, just seeing slides. Is there supposed to be audio?
CosmicRocker
They seem to be having technical problems. Audio is spotty and there is a lot of feedback sometimes.
mhoward
Once they got the audio working, that was quite awesome. Actually it was awesome even before they got the audio working, because we could still see the charts.

Some news from the SOWG meeting:

- The crater is called São Gabriel.
- I think I heard that they'll be imaging the "sparkly" area behind the rover visible in the latest Navcams? I heard them say "sparkly," at least.
- A visit to Whim Creek is planned before continuing south.
- Lots more, but I'll let others summarize.
CosmicRocker
It was terrific to be able to listen in on the meeting. In spite of the audio problems, it was fascinating to witness the "give and take" involved in planning the rover's daily activities. Thanks to everyone who made that hangout possible. smile.gif
CosmicRocker
For those who may have missed the event, it is now on YouTube.
fredk
Fascinating stuff for sure!

A few more details: on 3019, the plan is to do pre-drive imaging of two outcrops (Carlin 1 and 2). That should also include the "sparkly bits". Outcrops and sparkles are visible in this frame. Then drive towards São Gabriel. They'll do IDD work if there are interesting targets, but they think that's unlikely and then they'll continue to Whim Creek on 3021.

Then head back south on east side of CY, checking out small craters, outcrops, etc as they go.

edit: Oppy "stands down" for MSL from 3031-3038.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 20 2012, 10:30 AM) *
Fascinating stuff for sure!

A few more details: on 3019, the plan is to do pre-drive imaging of two outcrops (Carlin 1 and 2). That should also include the "sparkly bits". Outcrops and sparkles are visible in this frame. Then drive towards São Gabriel. They'll do IDD work if there are interesting targets, but they think that's unlikely and then they'll continue to Whim Creek on 3021.

Then head back south on east side of CY, checking out small craters, outcrops, etc as they go.

edit: Oppy "stands down" for MSL from 3031-3038.

I apologize for the audio feedback. Google was feeding back the audio from the server that had a 5 sec delay and it was not possible to have the meeting that way. I ended up suggesting muting the server audio and have the SOWG chair and Mission Manager dial in from their cellphone. That worked oute well.

Today, Sol 3019, we will be driving to Sao Gabriel ANd to Whim Creek! A total of about 42meters. All in one drive!
I hope you enjoyed the Hangout. There will be more to come.

Paolo
Phil Stooke
The name Sao Gabriel seemed to be attached to two different craters on Larry's map. Can you clarify?

Phil

mhoward
Wow! I guess the plan must have changed after the meeting? Makes sense, though, since there didn't seem to be much excitement around the crater.

Thanks so much for letting us (the Internet) sit in; that was truly great.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 20 2012, 01:11 PM) *
The name Sao Gabriel seemed to be attached to two different craters on Larry's map. Can you clarify?

Phil

i would if I knew the correct answer! we were puzzled as well.

Paolo
RoverDriver
QUOTE (mhoward @ Jul 20 2012, 01:12 PM) *
Wow! I guess the plan must have changed after the meeting? Makes sense, though, since there didn't seem to be much excitement around the crater.

Thanks so much for letting us (the Internet) sit in; that was truly great.

The plan was changed during the meeting, it probably was not at all clear from the discussion.

Paolo
mhoward
Ah. It was a little hard to hear, or maybe it was lack of understanding on my part. Still, very exciting.
eoincampbell
Enthralling to sit in on the meeting and watch (our) tax dollars at work smile.gif thanks all for posting
RoverDriver
QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Jul 20 2012, 01:52 PM) *
Enthralling to sit in on the meeting and watch (our) tax dollars at work smile.gif thanks all for posting

"One is glad to be of service!"

Paolo
fredk
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 20 2012, 08:17 PM) *
The plan was changed during the meeting, it probably was not at all clear from the discussion.
Thanks for the clarification - I do remember someone mentioning "drive by" imaging.

Perhaps you could clear one more thing up Paolo if you have a chance? I understand you want to flush the flash before MSL landing - does this mean activity will be restricted before the MSL stand down period? Do you think we might be parked at Whim Creek right through MSL landing, or could we continue to drive while flushing the flash?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 20 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Thanks for the clarification - I do remember someone mentioning "drive by" imaging.

Perhaps you could clear one more thing up Paolo if you have a chance? I understand you want to flush the flash before MSL landing - does this mean activity will be restricted before the MSL stand down period? Do you think we might be parked at Whim Creek right through MSL landing, or could we continue to drive while flushing the flash?

At the beginning of SOWG we have the LTP (long term planning) report (with the powerpoint presentation) in which we get a recommendation on how much volume we should generate during the plan. Our stand-down means we will have a lower recommendation from the LTP.

It is my hope we will be driving off from Whim Creek before MSL lands but I don'think anyone knows yet. If we will find juicy stuff near the creek we will more likely do IDD over the stand-down period.

Paolo
RoverDriver
QUOTE (mhoward @ Jul 20 2012, 01:22 PM) *
Ah. It was a little hard to hear, or maybe it was lack of understanding on my part. Still, very exciting.

I just watched part of the youtube video. The audio was HORRIBLE! I'm really really sorry! Hopefully next time will be better. The good thing is that you couldn't hear my thick accent! :-P

Paolo
PDP8E
Thanks JPL (Matt G. and crew) for the peek into the planning meeting <fascinating>
I was able to get the gist (mostly) and look forward to another go! .. BTW: what is an SA STOMP?
Thank you!
James Sorenson
Many thanks to Mark Powell for notifiying me of the Amazon S3 raw image feed. Here are some tau images that are unstretched taken from Sol's 2977-3007 pancam.gif
Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Jul 20 2012, 08:10 PM) *
Thanks JPL (Matt G. and crew) for the peek into the planning meeting <fascinating>
I was able to get the gist (mostly) and look forward to another go! .. BTW: what is an SA STOMP?
Thank you!

The Solar Array Stomp is a dance we do when we have lots of power. laugh.gif

OK, seriously, here's my understanding os the SA Stomp: The BCB (battery charger board) when it sees more than a set threshold of current from the Solar Array it triggers the CPU to boot. This is done so that if for any reason the rover does not wake up, the BCB will make it boot anyway (we make a sequencing mistake, we hit a low power event...). It is sometimes necessary to avoid operating the vehicle too early (too cold, or we want to charge the batteries...), in that case we tell the vehicle that if it finds herself on at a certain time she should immediately power off. Since we can predict when the solar array will generate the set threshold, suppose we predict that this will happen at 0930, we can include a command that at 0945 the vehicle should power off.

Please note that I did not pay attention to when the SA Stomp was sequenced on this planning cycle, so I just made up some numbers to give an example.

Paolo
Stu
Just catching up with yesterday's SOWG meeting, via the YouTube recording. Fascinating stuff! Looks like we have a route down the eastern side of Cape York all planned out...

Click to view attachment

..and put (roughly) onto Google Mars...

Click to view attachment
fredk
Whim Creek navcam view is down:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol3012
fredk
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 21 2012, 12:24 PM) *
Looks like we have a route down the eastern side of Cape York all planned out...
Tentative of course...

Whim Creek anaglyph:
Click to view attachment
Stu
*Everything* is tentative, of course. Nice to have a plan tho.
mhoward
Navcam panorama sols 3010-3012, centered on south.

MERB3010_3012Navcam on Flickr
Phil Stooke
Very nice! Here's a polar version of it.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.