Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring at Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Stu
Now would be a really great time for a super-res panorama of the cratered hills on the farside of Endeavour...(hint hint!)
Astro0
OT: Just some scale to consider in the way we can view Mars these days cool.gif

Click to view attachment

Thanks science!!!
Phil Stooke
Fantastic!

Phil
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jun 30 2012, 06:01 PM) *
OT: Just some scale to consider in the way we can view Mars these days cool.gif
Thanks science!!!

You missed one: wheel.gif

Paolo
marsophile
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 30 2012, 06:30 PM) *
Now would be a really great time for ...

Now that they have the energy for the necessary heating, I would like to see a dawn low-light image of the crater interior, to complement the dusk images.
Astro0
> You missed one: wheel.gif

Duly noted smile.gif

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
QUOTE (marsophile @ Jun 30 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Now that they have the energy for the necessary heating, I would like to see a dawn low-light image of the crater interior, to complement the dusk images.

We have the power but currently we have very little flash available. Effects of not having our friend ODY for some time.

Paolo
Astro0
Just a little experiment...combining the MI of Grasberg1 post-brushing and the color-filter Pancam view.
Click to view attachment

Evoking one of Stu's "not claiming scientific accuracy or anything' disclaimers. wink.gif
Stu
Ooh, that looks sore. If it starts bleeding, I'd get it looked at... unsure.gif

Seriously tho, really like that! Tried to do that myself a few times but failed miserably, so good work!

fredk
Some info at Lenda's blog:
For the future: We plan to cross the skirt of Cape York to the north to look at the transitional layers (do I sound like a geologist yet?) thereon. Then, southward back from whence we came — to the first entrance into the Endeavour Crater on the south side of Cape York, and then further sound to Cape Tribulation. Betcha we get there before next Martian winter — those RPs are itching to drive the heck out of Oppy, and they're damned good at it, too.
Hopefully that's southward via the "inboard" side of CY...

And I guess this would be the official anniversary moment:
According to my highly technical (read: I cheated and used SPICE again) analysis, Opportunity will hit Sol 3000 at 2012 JUL 02 01:51:32.572 UTC, or 2012 JUL 01 18:51:32.572 PDT.
Gladstoner
Stu
Thanks, CR. I really just gabble on about what's happening, and hope some people read it! smile.gif

Colourised view of the ground at Oppy's feet/wheels... fascinating to just scroll and pan around the area, taking in the different forms, structures and shapes...

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 3 2012, 12:30 PM) *
Thanks, CR. I really just gabble on about what's happening, and hope some people read it! smile.gif

Colourised view of the ground at Oppy's feet/wheels... fascinating to just scroll and pan around the area, taking in the different forms, structures and shapes...

Mahhh... it is just some gravel. Good only to spin some donuts... ;-) Seriously, have you guys found anything on Mars that is uninteresting?

Paolo
ngunn
Honestly, the planet doesn't matter. I could spend a similar length of time staring at a small patch of beach at Llandudno.
Phil Stooke
You're fired!

Phil

CosmicRocker
I have mixed feelings about his comment, Phil. I think you should cut Nigel some slack. I mean, only a geologist at heart could make such a generic statement about sediment. smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Just a joke...

Phil
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 3 2012, 03:11 PM) *
Seriously, have you guys found anything on Mars that is uninteresting?

ngunn
Gosh! Does the apparent size of the Sun really vary that much? (I assume those are at one Earth year intervals.) Calls for a movie if you ask me.
Eutectic
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 4 2012, 07:55 AM) *
Gosh! Does the apparent size of the Sun really vary that much?

Using Wikipedia's numbers for Mars' aphelion and perihelion distances, mean solar diameter, and trig, I calculate apparent solar diameters ranging from 19.20 arc minutes to 23.15 arc minutes, a spread of 20%. We Earthlings just aren't used to phenomena resulting from such an elliptical orbit.
mhoward
So I guess we've answered that question: no, there is not any type of MER image that we find uninteresting smile.gif

(Attached is a view facing north and about 45 degrees up, with the sun images from sols 2816-2914.)
fredk
Very cool sun collage! An animation showing the sun reaching farther and farther north until solstice, then back up south, would be extremely cool (but lots of work, of course!).
mhoward
That would be cool, someday. The above mosaic is just the "low hanging fruit" as it were.
fredk
Some info about sharing of Odyssey passes with MSL in the new Planetary Society report:
...Opportunity will have to put on the brakes again. "We will have a command moratorium, which means we will not try to talk to our rover or use the X-band during the [MSL] EDL," informed Nelson. He means, actually, about a week, because that moratorium will encompass the incoming TCM period, and the actual EDL. "During that time, we will have Odyssey passes – the rationale being that our daily pass proves Odyssey is still available for MSL," he confirmed.
Once Curiosity is landed... Curiosity will have exclusive use of MRO, and more than half of Odyssey. The writing on that wall would seem to indicate that the rover that likes to rove may find it slow going again from time to time during MSL's prime mission of one Earth year.
Or longer... Does anyone know any details about how sharing Odyssey might affect Oppy?
djellison
It shouldn't be too bad - they're 120 degrees apart, so passes are not close together for MERB and MSL leaving plenty of time for downlinking one vehicle before the next relay.

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 4 2012, 05:55 AM) *
(I assume those are at one Earth year intervals.)

They are really just random grabs spread out from Sol 2 to the present.
Astro0
Grasberg1

Click to view attachment

Sol3001: Via Odyssey

Ah! Did you see what I did there?! cool.gif laugh.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jul 5 2012, 03:02 AM) *
They are really just random grabs spread out from Sol 2 to the present.

Well you luckily managed to sample aphelion and perihelion well enough to show the periodic variation. I'd really love to see a full 8 year movie. I was wondering whether such a movie would also show the variations in atmospheric opacity, or is that somehow normalised out in the imaging process?
RoverDriver
I have assembled all of the pancam tau images (4779!) I could find.

Click to view attachment

Paolo
Bill Harris
QUOTE (mhoward @ Jul 4 2012, 11:27 AM) *
So I guess we've answered that question: no, there is not any type of MER image that we find uninteresting smile.gif

(Attached is a view facing north and about 45 degrees up, with the sun images from sols 2816-2914.)
Think "analemma"... smile.gif

--Bill
PaulM
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 5 2012, 05:08 PM) *
Paolo

Has a sunspot ever been seen in a pancam tau image? I remember in about 1976 seeing a large sunspot using my naked eye when the sun was close to the horizon. I wonder if that sunspot would have been visible in a pancam tau image?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (PaulM @ Jul 5 2012, 09:23 AM) *
Has a sunspot ever been seen in a pancam tau image? I remember in about 1976 seeing a large sunspot using my naked eye when the sun was close to the horizon. I wonder if that sunspot would have been visible in a pancam tau image?

I hope not. The IFOV (instantaneous field of view, the field of view of 1 pixel) is about 50" (arc seconds), the sun spot would need to be be quite big! Pancam Tau are taken usually around 1100-1200, so no atmospheric magnification.

Paolo
ngunn
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 5 2012, 05:08 PM) *

Hey, that's great! Thanks. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif But with sooooo many images the seasonal 'breathing' though quite apparent is almost imperceptibly slow.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jul 4 2012, 09:48 PM) *
Ah! Did you see what I did there?! cool.gif laugh.gif

I see so many little veins in Grasberg that Carly Simon could write a song about it.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 5 2012, 11:22 AM) *
Hey, that's great! Thanks. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif But with sooooo many images the seasonal 'breathing' though quite apparent is almost imperceptibly slow.

OK, I will see what I can do.

Paolo
fredk
Thanks for that solar compilation, Paolo. There should be several transits visible, but I haven't inspected each of the 4779 frames yet!

Back to what Oppy's up to now, here's a pancam anaglyph showing the "mini-notch" to our NE:
Click to view attachment
It looks like a fair bit of relief, which bodes well for relief at the real notch (Whim Creek).
fredk
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 5 2012, 08:24 PM) *
OK, I will see what I can do.

Hey, wait a minute, don't you have a rover to drive? laugh.gif wink.gif
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 5 2012, 11:30 AM) *
Hey, wait a minute, don't you have a rover to drive? laugh.gif wink.gif

I wish, my next shift is on 7/18! I had some spare time while waiting for one more simulation to complete, so I gathered the data and used whirlgif to generate the animation.

Paolo
RoverDriver
This is an animation of 747 frames that are separated by a bit more than 1 Sol. The variation in size of the Sun is now clearly visible.

Click to view attachment

Paolo
RoverDriver
OK, more fun with the tau images. For each of the tau images I binarized the images (fixed threshold @127) and counted the white pixels, finally, from the area I computed teh diameter. The attached plot shows the variation of Sun diameter vs Sol. Pretty crude and it shows, but it gives an idea of the variation.

Click to view attachment

Paolo
Stu
Thanks for all your hard work on that Paolo, it's much appreciated. Very interesting and informative too.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 5 2012, 04:11 PM) *
Thanks for all your hard work on that Paolo, it's much appreciated. Very interesting and informative too.

You are welcome. 5 min of scripting between MSL simulations ;-)

Paolo
fredk
That's extremely cool - a beautiful sinusoid from such a simple idea.

The obvious question: what happened at the aphelion around sol 1600? That minimum is anomalously higher than all the others. Something different about the exposures perhaps?
brellis
I assume some of the spikes reflect dust-clearing wind events. Are there 'windy seasons' at Meridiani?

edit: oops I thought Paolo's graph was dust-related. d'ohh!
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 5 2012, 04:19 PM) *
That's extremely cool - a beautiful sinusoid from such a simple idea.

The obvious question: what happened at the aphelion around sol 1600? That minimum is anomalously higher than all the others. Something different about the exposures perhaps?

The honest answer is: I don't know. It would not surprise me if the explanation involved dust accumulation on the PANCAM lens, I would need to take a look at the images. Also, keep in mind that I just applied a fixed threshold to all images, I did not attempt to compute the Sun area very well, it was a hack put together very, very quickly. Brellis: the way I computed the diameter is extremely crude and an error in a few pixels is very likely. This was obviously not meant to be a refined measurement, what I meant to show is that indeed you can see minor variations in the Sun diameter (and that there are no boring images from Mars).

Paolo
RoverDriver
QUOTE (brellis @ Jul 5 2012, 04:29 PM) *
Are there 'windy seasons' at Meridiani?

Forgot to answer this question. Yes, there are cleaning event seasons, sometimes followed by dusty seasons. IIRC they are end of the (Martian) summer. If you look at the Tau plots you should be able to see them.

Paolo
siravan
Very interesting graph. There is more information in this graph than seems at the first glance. For example, in principal, it is possible to calculate the Mars orbital eccentricity from the ratio of the largest to smallest diameter (let x be the ratio, e=(x-1)/(x+1) ). The value I'm getting is 0.063, which is 2/3 of the actual e=0.093. I suspect the discrepancy might be due to atmospheric effects of the apparent diameter.
RoverDriver
Now that we have demonstrated that even the Pancam Tau can be interesting, how about all those Cal Target? Any ideas on what we can do with them (besides their intended use)?

Paolo
siravan
One possibility is to plot the average pixel value of a region on the top of each frame over the background (probably divided by the value of a part of the calibration target to correct for change in the ambient light). This way one gets a graph of the local "soil" brightness/darkness over the course of 8 years.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 5 2012, 09:12 PM) *
Now that we have demonstrated that even the Pancam Tau can be interesting, how about all those Cal Target?
Well, there is "The Stain," on which a thread has grown to 31 pages over here:
http://www.marsroverblog.com/discuss-170792-the-stain.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.