Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Santa Maria!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Stu
Everyone, say hi to a couple of newly-named features...

"Pedro de Villa"...

Click to view attachment

... and "Rui Fernandez"...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brellis
Mucho gusto! smile.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 17 2011, 03:01 PM) *
... and "Rui Fernandez"...

As one of Earth's Ruis I welcome our Martian namesake... smile.gif
Stu
There'll be a rock a *lot* bigger than that named after you one day, my friend! smile.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 17 2011, 12:36 PM) *
There'll be a rock a *lot* bigger than that named after you one day, my friend! smile.gif
You mean an abyss! laugh.gif

Maybe one of these.
nprev
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 17 2011, 09:36 AM) *

Indeed. However, the core requirement will be that it be highly huggable.. tongue.gif
Stu
Walk alongside Oppy as she heads uphill towards Luis de Torres...

http://twitpic.com/3r6r7b/full

(gif animation)
nprev
VERY cool! smile.gif
brellis
7 years in, and only one word is required: WOW! thx for the treat
fredk
This image just appeared on the exploratorium - it's from sol 353! blink.gif
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EEP2867L5M2.JPG
I wonder if this was stuck somewhere on earth all this time or if it actually just came down from Mars? There's an M1 version of the image at the jpl site.
MarkG
Looks like the RAT is in action (or at least its brush), from the Forward Hazcam images...

In reference to my earlier post about Santa Maria maybe being an impact in a rubble pile -- as better images came in, the horizontal layers below the old surface showed through the rubble, so it is NOT a crater in a rubble pile. There does seem to be something "funny" about the south/east side, though. And I like the dark friable debris dribbling out of cracks on the S/SE wall...

jvandriel
Partial panorama.

Taken on Sol 2484 with the L2 Pancam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Stu
I've just put up something new on my "astropoetry"blog, inspired by Oppy at Santa Maria, if anyone would like to take a look...

http://astropoetry.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/columbus-ghost
Stu
Brushing started...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SFJCody
QUOTE (Scott Maxwell)
The MB spectrometer radiation source has degraded so much that 100 hours of MB integration now = 15 minutes during prime mission. Wow!

Not unexpected of course, but still blink.gif blink.gif
When will they finish the integration? March? April?
Bobby
Update on Opportunity from NASA:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/news/mer20110120.html
Bobby
A video I found on you tube regarding Opportunity & Santa Maria. Recorded December 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdxhdTDrYio

They talk about Santa Maria
Stu
I've put up an animation of two MI images of Luis de Torres on my blog which shows some interesting structure on the rock's surface. Too large to post here, so I hope you won't mind taking a look at it over there.

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2011/...-luis-de-torres

Going to see if it will anaglyphalise*... is that a word? It is now. laugh.gif

Edit: why, yes, it does...

Click to view attachment

Larger version on blog.
Barry
Unnecessary full quote removed - Mod

Wow!...that is fantastic...if it is not a word this gives reason for it to be so...
jvandriel
Added 2 images.

The Sol 2484 L2 panoramic view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Stu
Colourisation of brushed area of Luis de Torres...

Click to view attachment
eoincampbell
Just to be clear, is it only Luis De Torres studies for the conjunction period?
djellison
Whilst I don't think that's been stated officially everywhere, we can take it as fairly certain that the conjunction plan will not involve IDD work - and thus the Mossbauer will be taking data throughout conjunction (it'll really benefit from a solid two weeks of integration given that it's almost 10 half lives old now )
jvandriel
Added 4 images.

Sol 2484 L2

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
diane
In the lower right portion of Jan's latest image, there's a long, narrow path that's cleared of blueberries. There are a few more of these in the distance, including one that is "downwind" of a rock.

Any idea how this happens?
Phil Stooke
I think it's not really cleared of blueberries, but the blueberries are covered up by fine dust or sandy material. That might happen in some places where a gap in the underlying rock causes a shallow depression which becomes filled in with dust. But here, I think the dusty strips are actually just small 'ripples', the last remnants of the big drifts we saw so much of earlier.

Phil
jvandriel
Added 3 images.

Panoramic view on Sol 2484 taken with the L2 pancam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
chuckclark
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 25 2011, 08:17 AM) *
I think it's not really cleared of blueberries, but the blueberries are covered up by fine dust or sandy material. That might happen in some places where a gap in the underlying rock causes a shallow depression which becomes filled in with dust. But here, I think the dusty strips are actually just small 'ripples', the last remnants of the big drifts we saw so much of earlier.

Phil

Sigh. I was so hoping it was tracks of blueberry harvesters.
fredk
Looking back towards Palos in 3D (admittedly not a lot of depth here):
Click to view attachment
You can pretty clearly see some original horizontal layering showing through the rubble.
Stu
Poor battered, smattered little thing...

Click to view attachment
nprev
Bizarre. Not only a compositionally distinct rock (probably, based on its appearance), but a possibly associated depression. Fused sand ejecta from Endeavour or elsewhere?

(Yeah, like I know.. tongue.gif )
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (fredk @ Jan 26 2011, 08:53 AM) *
... You can pretty clearly see some original horizontal layering showing through the rubble.

Nice. I have been waiting for that view of Palos. It verifies a prediction about bedrock I made back in mid-December when Opportunity first peered into Santa Maria.
fredk
Impressive call, Rocker. I'm surprized the rim looks so different on opposite sides.

QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 27 2011, 07:08 AM) *
a possibly associated depression
I can't make out any depression in the anaglyph - maybe a bit of a bump from eroding debris and dust:
Click to view attachment
It'll be interesting to see whether we examine any other targets after conjunction, or whether the call onwards to Endeavour will take precedence...
Stu
Very interesting... it almost looks like the object in the middle landed on a more fragile structure, leaving behind a kind of broken rim...

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Added 2 images to the right side of this pano.
Sorry for missing the rest of the horizon.

Sol 2484 L2

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Got an idea and added 2 images
to the horizon.
Sol 2484 L2

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
RokitSiNTst
@ Fred and Stu, there is a wiggle gif of that rock at http://members.cox.net/rocketwrencher/Mars...AXP2568L2M1.gif, there does appear to be a depression centered at the right end of the rear, 'wall' section
eoincampbell
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 27 2011, 09:44 AM) *
Very interesting... it almost looks like the object in the middle landed on a more fragile structure...

Would the images suggest that Rodrigo de Jerez (featured above) split from Terreros before both finally coming to rest?
False color view of the scene is so intriguing, the CRISM "hot pixel" area looks fairly familiar to Oppy...(kudos MRO smile.gif )
Can't wait for the details to come drifting in...
dilo
Probably you already noticed, anyway today's APOD image is Sol 2476 mosaic assembled/colored by me and Ken (already published on Universe Today):
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110129.html

ADMIN: Remember that we have a thread where this sort of stuff is more appropriately posted.
Zeke4ther
Congratulations on getting published on APOD!
Very nice panorama.
Astro0
Mars as art...just a nice image wink.gif
Stu
Couple more features been given names...

Click to view attachment

Ciba

Click to view attachment

Bosiba
Stu
The latest fact- and news-packed MER Update by The Planetary Society's AJS Rayl is now available for you to read...

http://www.planetary.org/news/2011/0131_Ma...te_Mission.html
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 1 2011, 10:46 PM) *
The Planetary Society's AJS Rayl is now available for you to read...

From Erebus, Opportunity began the 21-month-long journey to Victoria, an 800-meter- (half-mile) wide crater.

I believe she meant to say "Endurance."

I do however love this paragraph. It belongs on a poster:

They climbed a Martian hill,
forged across ancient salty sea beds,
drove into craters,
picked through rocky landscapes,
cruised across plains,
and [have] taken the most glorious pictures
ever snapped on the surface of Mars.
Through it all, they seemed uncannily determined,
allowing neither dust storms,
or gnarly sand dunes,
or treacherous terrains
or anything else
to keep them from their mission.
eoincampbell
Also mentioned in the report is :
"There, on the edge of what may – or may not – be a smaller impact crater along the side of Santa Maria,..."
Has anyone noticed this, at Yuma?
Stu
I read that to mean that Yuma itself might be a small crater, quite well disguised.
fredk
From the latest update, some good news for when Oppy gets going again:
As of Sol 2499 (Feb. 3, 2011), solar array energy production was 585 watt-hours with an unknown atmospheric opacity (Tau) of 1.07 and an estimated solar array dust factor of 0.678. The increase in solar array energy from the last reporting period seems to suggest a solar array cleaning event.

That's a sizable jump from last week's power, 524 Whrs!

About that "unknown Tau of 1.07" - does that make it a known unknown? laugh.gif wink.gif
Phil Stooke
After the new comet pictures, all it will take is for Opportunity to start rolling again and my happiness will be complete (until next time).

Phil
fredk
New pics are down! This is from yestersol, 2510:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...1M1.JPG?sol2510
smile.gif smile.gif
Zeke4ther
This probably means we will be moving soon tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.