Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Santa Maria!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
jvandriel
and the Pancam L2 view on Sol 2468.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The panoramic Pancam view taken on Sol 2456
with the L2 Pancam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

fredk
The latest Planetary Society update is up.

One interesting comment from Arvidson:
"We can see multiple types of rocks in the wall and we're all anxious to get southeast so we can figure out what we're seeing in the CRISM data.”

And some classic inspiration from Squyres:
“The most important thing between Santa Maria and Endeavour that we know about is – getting to Endeavour," said Squyres. "We're going to put the pedal down and go like hell."

"I'm making no predictions," Squyres said. "But," he added, "we are 6.5 kilometers away with a rover that drove more than 7.5 kilometers this past year. You do the math.”

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Stu
Liking this view...

Click to view attachment

Scree-jumping, anyone? smile.gif
NickF
Stu's scree anaglyphed (pancam L2/R2)
Click to view attachment

jvandriel
The Pancam R2 view on Sol 2468.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (NickF @ Jan 4 2011, 06:25 AM) *
Stu's scree anaglyphed (pancam L2/R2)

No offense Nick but your channel separation was way off. I adjusted it for a bit more viewing ease.
NickF
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jan 4 2011, 03:02 PM) *
No offense Nick but your channel separation was way off. I adjusted it for a bit more viewing ease.

None taken! Thanks for the heads up. (I suspect it comes from balancing a laptop on my knee rather than my usual desktop setup.)
Floyd
From jvandriel's post 306 we can see Oppy is close to the little crater at 6 O'Clock (4.7 km East).
djellison
And now from above as seen on New Years Eve

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/releases/oppy-santa-maria.php
bgarlick
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 4 2011, 08:41 AM) *

From that web site there are two links, one for the main picture and then another link labeled 'here' to the supposed 18 degree oblique view.
I figured I could rotate the oblique view 90 deg ccw and make a stereo pair with the main image (text aside) and see if oppy would be able to pop-out in 3D.
However when I did this I got 0 stereo relief. It appears if these are actually the same image, but one is just rotated 90 degrees and has slightly different brightness.
Did Mathew Golombek point to the wrong picture (for one of them), is 18 degrees off nadir not enough to resolve stereo, or what??
The links to the two supposed different view images are
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/releases/ima...maria-large.jpg
and
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/releases/ima...ria-oblique.jpg
Even the jpeg artifacts seem to imply these are actually the same image source...

If these *were* a nadir and off-nadir point (where could they be found?), would we be able to resolve oppy as having height in 3D stereo view? (presumably Santa Maria at least would resolve depth...)
djellison
QUOTE (bgarlick @ Jan 4 2011, 04:23 PM) *
If these *were* a nadir and off-nadir point (where could they be found?), would we be able to resolve oppy as having height in 3D stereo view? (presumably Santa Maria at least would resolve depth...)

They are - but no, you wouldn't get stereo with the rover - it's too small.
eoincampbell
I was looking for the larger swath of the area from this observation that might show the scars relating to the recent wind activity...
brellis
Picasso's Planet!
fredk
QUOTE (bgarlick @ Jan 5 2011, 12:23 AM) *
It appears if these are actually the same image, but one is just rotated 90 degrees and has slightly different brightness.

I noticed that too - they're definitely the same image. Somebody got their wires crossed.
mars loon
nice to see Oppy
FatSplenda
Squyres is my damned hero!
climber
QUOTE (brellis @ Jan 5 2011, 02:16 AM) *
Picasso's Planet!

Well, I'd said Dali's instead.
I spent new year in Cadaques (4 hours from home) where Dali used to live.
Guess what Cadaques' church name is?
Click to view attachment
Stu
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jan 4 2011, 04:41 PM) *
From jvandriel's post 306 we can see Oppy is close to the little crater at 6 O'Clock (4.7 km East).

Sorry, was my post a bit too cryptic..?

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=169043

wink.gif
Fozzie
QUOTE (FatSplenda @ Jan 5 2011, 06:30 AM) *
Squyres is my damned hero!

I don't think the "damned" bit was necessary!
djellison
QUOTE (Fozzie @ Jan 5 2011, 02:29 AM) *
I don't think the "damned" bit was necessary!

If you have a problem complaint or query about a post, please use the Report button - found bottom left of every post at UMSF. This will bring it to the attention of the entire UMSF Admin team who can then take action if it's considered necessary.

What you did by moaning about it in a thread is start a rather tedious debate about language standard semantics in a thread about an 80m wide crater on Mars.

Issue closed.
Floyd
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 5 2011, 04:48 AM) *
Sorry, was my post a bit too cryptic..?
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=169043
wink.gif

Sorry Stu, Two reasons I could have overlooked your post 299: 1) it was on the previous page by the time I was looking at images; 2) Can't see the little crater in your image with out enlargement, could in jvandriel's post 306. Reading backward, you see the second post first.
Stu
Colourised view of "Yuma"...

Click to view attachment
walfy
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 5 2011, 10:29 PM) *
Colourised view of "Yuma"...

Is that the location where they hope to park the rover during occultation at the end of month?
(By the way, Stu, I love your mars blog!)
jvandriel
Added some images.
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 2468.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

jvandriel
Added also images to the Pancam view.
Here is the L2 view on Sol 2468.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
QUOTE (walfy @ Jan 6 2011, 01:50 AM) *
Is that the location where they hope to park the rover during occultation at the end of month?

You mean solar conjunction.
fredk
3D view of "Little South crater" from sol 2471:
Click to view attachment
New f and r hazcams were taken on 2471, but there was no movement.
ElkGroveDan
Nice Fred. Thanks.
eoincampbell
What are the clues that could tell us which of Santa Maria and Little South happened first?
john_s
"Little South" is located on the raised ejecta blanket of Santa Maria- if it had formed first it would have been at the level of the surrounding plains and would have been buried by Santa Maria ejecta. So it's more recent, definitely. I suppose it's possible that it's a late-arriving secondary from Santa Maria itself (i.e. more recent only by tens of seconds) but I think it's somewhat unusual to find secondaries so close to the prime crater rim.

John
eoincampbell
Thanks.
Floyd
It is interesting that there are ~8 small craters within 0.05 km of the north northeast rim of Santa Maria. Most look a little less pristine than south crater. May not be secondaries, but if not, maybe Opportunity should move as things from space seem to like to land around here. rolleyes.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (fredk @ Jan 6 2011, 10:07 AM) *
New f and r hazcams were taken on 2471, but there was no movement.

Aborted drive?
mars loon
QUOTE (walfy @ Jan 6 2011, 06:50 AM) *

Yuma is the general area of the hydrated sulfates
tedstryk
QUOTE (mars loon @ Jan 7 2011, 01:34 AM) *
New Years Posttards from the Edge by Opportunity Mars Rover

What is a Posttard? rolleyes.gif
mars loon
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jan 7 2011, 03:49 AM) *
What is a Posttard? rolleyes.gif

good catch .. sorry a typo ! lubkily the story headline is correct online. just double checked

but maybe be correct in Martian !! blink.gif

just had arm surgury so my typing is terrible
Stu
Lookls like the little crater has a name...

02471 11:58:52 p2369.27. 1 0 0 0 0 0 8 pancam_la_gallega_3x1_L257

http://www.shipsofdiscovery.org/gallega.htm
Stu
Gallega colour...

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Here is the navcam view taken on Sol 2468 and 2471 with the L0 navcam.
Mixed images taken on both Sols because there was no movement
of Opportunity.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
No movement of Opportunity between Sol 2468 and Sol 2471.
Only the antenna.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Here is the pancam L2 panoramic view
taken on Sol 2468 and 2471.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A circular version of Jan's navcam panorama. Thanks Jan!

Phil

Click to view attachment
kenny
Now that we are up on the rim of Santa Maria and edging round to a point where we can look east, are we finally seeing the HOA View ?
fredk
We've definitely got a great view of the local plains surrounding us right now from our perch up here. But our view of the rim of Endeavour is worse than it was a couple of months ago, because even at the highest part of the rim of Santa Maria, we're quite a bit lower than we were around sol 2400. You can see this by comparing this view from sol 2406:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...00P2435R2M5.JPG
with this view from our highest point on Santa Maria's rim:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...J3P2297R2M1.JPG
Compare the position of the crater on the far rim - we can now see quite a bit less below it than we could earlier. So as far as Endeavour is concerned, our best view was a couple of months ago (until we get very close, of course...).
MoreInput
QUOTE (fredk @ Jan 8 2011, 06:52 PM) *
Compare the position of the crater on the far rim - we can now see quite a bit less below it than we could earlier. So as far as Endeavour is concerned, our best view was a couple of months ago (until we get very close, of course...).

Yes we are lower, but we are also neared than sol 2400. (26,5 - 24,4 km: 2,1 km) so we should see more detail. On the near rim the effect should be visible, the far rim is still too far away. Maybe we should have a look at the nearest point of the rim?
Phil Stooke
This is the view with a 10x stretch.

Phil

Click to view attachment
BrianL
I think I can see some hobbits heading toward Mordor, Phil. smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Yes, I like their spiky little hats. I want one!

Phil
fredk
Here's a stereo view from back on sol 2467 (the left frame was just sent complete). I love rolling my eyes over the textures in this:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.