Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On to Santa Maria!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
fredk
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 13 2010, 07:04 PM) *
Explore there during conjunction

Conjuction is February 4th, so assuming we arrive at Santa Maria by the end of this week, and taking the blackout period to last about a week after conjunction (it's actually not sharply defined), that gives us 8 weeks to spend at Santa Maria. Let's hope there's something interesting there!

If it's just the same old meridiani bedrock, I suppose they may just decide to drive off after the holidays. That'd give us a few weeks headstart on the drive to Endeavour. Although then they'd have to sit somewhere even more uninteresting over conjunction.
mhoward
QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 13 2010, 11:48 AM) *
That'd give us a few weeks headstart on the drive to Endeavour. Although then they'd have to sit somewhere even more uninteresting over conjunction.

Probably but maybe not necessarily? I'm still wondering what this area is, and it's just to the southeast now. (Three years later and here we are. Wow.)
ngunn
I was hoping for this. A fourth panel to complete the left end of the magnificent whole-body Santa Maria portrait has arrived: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2NP2360R2M1.JPG

Nobody can complain about the rate of forward progress of late and I like talk of lots of data. Is there still a chance of a colour version?
mhoward
Nice. I haven't done an actual stitch for a while:

Stu
Full length version of the Santa Maria portrait...

http://twitpic.com/3fo75f/full

Despite trying I can't get rid of the dark areas betwen frames, unlike others here do, but pleased with this anyway, and looking forward to all your cleaned-up versions :-)
Sunspot
Its amazing how quickly Santa Maria has appeared. A few weeks ago it was just a tiny vague feature in the pancam images.
climber
Did you notice the Mars Globe on the Sundial? (from this image: 1N345428754EFFAZ2NP0653R0M1.JPG)
Click to view attachment

Stu
QUOTE (mhoward @ Dec 13 2010, 09:23 PM) *
Nice. I haven't done an actual stitch for a while:

VERY nice, and thanks for letting me use it as the new header on my blog! smile.gif

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com
Hungry4info
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 13 2010, 03:43 PM) *
Did you notice the Mars Globe on the Sundial?

This is entirely coincidental discolouring of the pancam calibration target over the course of the mission.

Here's the sun dial as brand new:
http://www.astrobio.net/articles/images/sull_sundialg.jpg
marswiggle
Before the final approach, a regional anaglyph of the environment (1/4 of full size) might be of some interest. It's evident that Santa Maria is located on the (near) slope of a basin, probably an ancient double crater, and thus is tilted away from us. At the lower right part of the unusual terrain is visible.
climber
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Dec 13 2010, 11:20 PM) *
This is entirely coincidental discolouring of the pancam calibration target over the course of the mission.

Oh, I know! But I do like the coincidence.
fredk
QUOTE (mhoward @ Dec 13 2010, 09:08 PM) *
I'm still wondering what this area is, and it's just to the southeast now. (Three years later and here we are. Wow.)

It will be interesting to see that close up. Notice how there are several of what look like heavily eroded craters in the dark stuff, with the insides of the craters lighter, like the surrounding plains.

And, since we should turn to the SE after Santa Maria to head towards Cape York, it's a good bet we'll drive right through some of those dark areas.
fredk
QUOTE (marswiggle @ Dec 13 2010, 11:22 PM) *
It's evident that Santa Maria is located on the (near) slope of a basin

That's very nice - thanks for the anaglyph. You can also get a good sense of the basin and Santa Maria's position on the near slope from Phil's recent stretch.
Toma B
According to MER Pancam Data Tracking Web Interface there was another 100 meters drive today!!!
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
I can't wait to see how SM looks from less than 100 meters now!
jvandriel
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 13 2010, 10:24 PM) *
Full length version of the Santa Maria portrait...

http://twitpic.com/3fo75f/full

Despite trying I can't get rid of the dark areas betwen frames, unlike others here do, but pleased with this anyway, and looking forward to all your cleaned-up versions :-)

Stu,

after downloading and before stitching, use an Anti-Vignetting programme to remove most of the dark
areas.
I use MRCAntiVignetting.

Jan van Driel
Phil Stooke
I just make a rectangular selection around the bright central area, feather it about 100 pixels, select inverse (area outside original selection) and brighten until I'm satisfied.

Phil
Floyd
From Scott Maxwell's Twitter: "Thisol's drive should leave us ~ 20m from the edge of Santa Maria. Woo-hoo! "
fredk
That's interesting, Phil. But given the axially symmetric optics, would it perhaps be better to make a circular selection centred at the centre of the frame?
elakdawalla
Can somebody tell me approximately how far Oppy was from Santa Maria at the time of the sol 2447 pan?
peter59
200 m
Sunspot
Is the clock/time on the MER website still accurate?
Toma B
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 14 2010, 10:09 PM) *
...approximately how far Oppy was from Santa Maria?

I think we are somewhere around HERE ↓↓↓↓↓

Click to view attachment

This is my first time to do route map so please don't laugh.
Floyd
And from Scott's tweet, 2450 should be 20 m from edge.
ElkGroveDan
Hey Scott, STOP!!!
climber
You're right Dan, they don't even have time to send any pictures.
Phil Stooke
fredk: "That's interesting, Phil. But given the axially symmetric optics, would it perhaps be better to make a circular selection centred at the centre of the frame?"

By the time I've feathered the selection that much, it wouldn't matter if I started with a triangle! Actually, you're right, I do use a circle sometimes. And sometimes I just select the two edges as vertical rectangles. Rampant ad-hoccery is my guiding principle. Hey - that's a good line for my new sig!

Phil
elakdawalla
From Scott: Current position with respect to Santa Maria: "About 90m. So close we can taste it. Planning ~ 70m thisol; probably will do fine approach nextersol."
ElkGroveDan
20 meters? Wow that's past those two large boulders. Here's what 20 meters from the edge roughly consists of.
Bobby
Any Pictures yet from 20 meters away??? Waiting blink.gif
fredk
QUOTE (Toma B @ Dec 14 2010, 08:34 PM) *
This is my first time to do route map so please don't laugh.

Those look like pretty reasonable locations to me.

Bobby: we're currently 90 metres away. Pictures still due. Next drive planned to get us to 20 m.
fredk
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Dec 14 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Is the clock/time on the MER website still accurate?

No, it's way out. Use this site.
Stu
Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Not fair!!!! I'm at work, sneaking a look on my phone so I can't join in the rockhound fun! sad.gif
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 14 2010, 09:43 PM) *
Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Not fair!!!! I'm at work, sneaking a look on my phone so I can't join in the rockhound fun! sad.gif

We're not there yet Stu... coming days/weeks very exciting!
Hungry4info
What he means is,

Wow! These are the best images from either rover over their entire mission! Absolutely spectacular! It's a shame you can't see them wink.gif
Stu
Oh, I can *see* them, they're just <---- this ----> big!!!!!! wink.gif
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 14 2010, 09:37 PM) *

They look like petrified trees to my eyes
peter59
My fast compilation.
Click to view attachment
Note "zero phase angle effect".
Phil Stooke
Apart from some little pockmarks like Concepcion and Fram, this is the first real ejecta deposit we've seen at Meridiani. Great place to stop for a shortish break! A full panorama would be really nice.

Phil
climber
Yep. I wonder if they'll take the chance to climb (even partialy) on the mount on the left. This is the place for the HOV we're looking for.
charborob
Close-up on Santa Maria (I tried to remove some noise in the images).
Click to view attachment
Oersted
QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 14 2010, 09:37 PM) *

That big "boulder" on the right is obviously a crashed tie-fighter.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Oersted @ Dec 14 2010, 01:45 PM) *
That big "boulder" on the right is obviously a crashed tie-fighter.

I think those round objects are bantha droppings.
mhoward
Betelgeuze
Somehow, when I look at these latest pictures I have to think about Sojourner.
mhoward
Stu
Gorgeous pics everyone...

Some fascinating looking rocks over there...

Click to view attachment
empebe
Looks like the Easter Islanders beat us to it rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Mike
Decepticon
Whoa! That Rock looks HUGE!

Any ideas how Big?
djellison
Wopmay 2.0 smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.