Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On to Santa Maria!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Tesheiner
Great. smile.gif
An idea: What about a sort of animated image with the pancams of last three or four drives?
mhoward
peter59
QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 1 2010, 05:42 PM) *
We can see quite a bit more of Santa Maria as of 2436.

Probably we are closer to Santa Maria about 130-140 meters. Am I right?
Tesheiner
100m.
ElkGroveDan
....and 900 meters to go!
Stu
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 1 2010, 05:09 PM) *
Great. smile.gif
An idea: What about a sort of animated image with the pancams of last three or four drives?

Oh, alright then...

http://twitpic.com/3bzhnf

smile.gif
Phil Stooke
I stitched the new pan and ran it through the old Astigmatron at Stretch Factor 10 (any more and it's gonna blow, Cap'n).

Phil

Click to view attachment
DFinfrock
Phil,

It's amazing how flat most of that image is, even with a 10X stretch!

David
ElkGroveDan
It definitely highlights though, why we haven't been able to view Santa Maria until now (barely.) That's a tidy little basin she's sitting in.
Astro0
EDIT: I decided I wasn't happy with the 100metre markers image I made.
While I did say that it may not have been accurate, it was probably too inaccurate to be usable and was giving a false impression.

I'd like to see some attempts made at putting a rough overaly on the navcam images though just to get a feel for how far we have to go.
Hey, fredk ...any chance of introducing a few little dark waving men to one of the images? wink.gif

In the meantime, here's a thought, we are about as far from Santa Maria crater as we were at Duck Bay from the farside of Vicitoria Crater! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 1 2010, 09:32 PM) *
Oh, alright then...

http://twitpic.com/3bzhnf

smile.gif

Thanks, Stu. We can clearly see the center section raising from behind the near horizon.
jvandriel
and another view of Santa Maria and Endeavour crater.

Taken with the L2 pancam on Sol 2436.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
It's still a long way as seen in this Navcam view taken on Sol 2436
with the L0 navcam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

fredk
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Dec 2 2010, 05:21 AM) *
...did a rough overlay on an MMB view and used the 100m line markers and some visible ground features to place some 100m marker posts.

My guess is we're still not seeing very far, and the "near horizon" is blocking most of the view ahead. I can't see in the pancams the ~15 metre diameter crater about 250 metres ahead of the 2436 position. But the little triplet of craters at around 150 metres is now visible. Still, the near horizon looks pretty far, so maybe that 15 m crater has a very subtle rim. All will be revealed soon enough...
eoincampbell
Another great read covering November:
http://www.planetary.org/news/2010/1130_Ma...te_Mission.html
PDP8E
Astro naught,

When I hit the expand (+) button on your image I noticed you had actually placed light sabers as 100m markers - well done!
Poolio
Huh. I can't believe I never noticed that "Astro0" could be read "Astro naught" before. And here I've been saying "Astro zero" all along.

And just so this post isn't completely irrelevant, I'll just point out for those that haven't seen it that we should be another 103m closer to Santa Maria, according to Scott. At least that's a planned 103m. We should have confirmation soon.
djellison
I read it as Astro-Zero for years smile.gif
fredk
QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Dec 2 2010, 05:10 PM) *

One quote from this is about the risks of getting bogged down while crossing old eroded craters, something that we discussed here not too long ago. Here's the quote:
“We're always on the lookout for odd things,” said Arvidson. “The craters we can see we know where they are down to 2 meters across. Now there are a lot of buried craters in this area of Meridiani Planum and we can see them too, because they're circular, kind of palimpsest, eroded down and filled with basaltic sand and hematite concretions. At Meridiani Planum, we're driving across this eroded down bedrock with eroded down craters that are probably buried with the sand. I have paid careful attention when we've driven across some of these buried craters and have seen no change in terms of sinkage or the slip.”
climber
Hence the recent detour to avoid any "suspect" depresssion?

Re Astro, this is strange you didn't notice, he explained the meaning a few time.
Astro0
Yes, Astro0 (naught). I've been known by that nickname for years and of course it's appropriate due to all the Outreach work I do.
Plus my father-in-law calls me by no other name laugh.gif

That's me - an astronaut - totally off the planet. biggrin.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 2 2010, 10:48 AM) *
I read it as Astro-Zero for years smile.gif

With a California dialect it's Astro-oh.

(I wonder if now is the time to confess that I haven't lived in Elk Grove for 2 1/2 years...)
ngunn
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 2 2010, 10:53 PM) *
(I wonder if now is the time to confess that I haven't lived in Elk Grove for 2 1/2 years...)

Gosh! Where are you? I'm shocked. (I'm still living in Bethesda, not Maryland). I've only just stopped pronouncing djellison with a G.
Astro0
100m markers (lightsabers) are gone! Revised post here.
peter59
Today's drive: ~ 80 m ???
ngunn
Santa Maria has been skulking at the edges of the images for a while. It's nice to see it almost centre frame: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P2355R2M1.JPG
Tesheiner
Curiously, there's a crater 150m due east from here which is still invisible; check the map.
BTW, today's drive was 100m.
jvandriel
Added 1 image.

Panoramic pancam view taken on Sol 2436

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

fredk
Latest average of L2/R2 frames of Santa Maria:
Click to view attachment
I think we can see the 15-metre crater 150 metres away, but it's very subtle - see white arrow. It looks like it has a smooth rim, without any visible rocky outcrops. Looking back at my Santa Maria view from 2436, I think we can just barely see it there as well.
mhoward
Sol 2438

Now I'm starting to think we won't have a "scenic overlook" moment until we actually get there.
Stu
In super-sensational 3D - sorry, I thought I was writing for the SKY TV magazine for a moment there - you really get a feel for how Santa Maria is hidden by a drop in the local terrain...

Click to view attachment

Another couple of drives and we should see her a lot better, I'd say.
ngunn
Very nice! I'm trying to decide whether the near horizon is in fact the patch of outcrop running across our path about 70m ahead, with the little crater Tesh mentioned out of sight beyond it?? If so, it's over the top next drive. If it's not, and fredk's right about the little crater, then where is the outcrop that ought to be in front of it?
hendric
Endurance did show a bit of cliff at the equivalent distance. Which, btw, was Eagle Crater! Another drive or two, and we will be closer to Santa Maria than Opportunity was to Endurance on Sol 1.

Lion King pan right outside Eagle: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA05755.jpg
Bill
What we saw of Endurance at approximately the same distance :
Click to view attachment

Really different

EDIT : Sorry same idea but too late!
Hungry4info
Latest on Opportunity from Scott Maxwell's titter. "Oh, my, nearly four hours of drive time thisol -- longer than I thought. We might make it the full 140m after all!"
fredk
And also some new crater names from here:
Also doing mid-drive imaging of crater triplet ("Vanguard"), and post-drive imaging should cover Voskhod Crater.
Stu
Continuing our series of "How big is it compared to...?", here you can see Santa Maria (left), Eagle Crater (centre) and Endurance (right) all to the same scale...

Click to view attachment

... and also Santa Maria and Endurance magically transported to the interior of Victoria Crater...

Click to view attachment
fredk
QUOTE (ngunn @ Dec 3 2010, 05:29 PM) *
I'm trying to decide whether the near horizon is in fact the patch of outcrop running across our path about 70m ahead...

Here are my identifications, using mhoward's 2438 pancam mosaic. Green is a bit of one of the crater triplet (Vanguard?) and black is the 15m crater (Voskhod?). (You can see the rest of the triplet in the neighbouring pancam frame.) I think white is the patch of outcrop you asked about.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
If we do 140 metres, we should be very close to Voskhod!
Phil Stooke
Now Fred! You know there's only one way to do this kind of comparison!

Click to view attachment

(please forgive the cheeky filename!)

So your pink circle is really one of the craters, but the black circle is correct.

Phil
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 4 2010, 03:43 AM) *
Continuing our series of "How big is it compared to...?",

Here's one just for you Stu.
Stu
Dan... wow... thank you! That is (bleep) brilliant!!!

Edit: thanks, Dan! http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...-of-santa-maria
vikingmars
QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 4 2010, 05:36 PM) *
Here are my identifications, using mhoward's 2438 pancam mosaic. Green is a bit of one of the crater triplet (Vanguard?) and black is the 15m crater (Voskhod?). (You can see the rest of the triplet in the neighbouring pancam frame.) I think white is the patch of outcrop you asked about.

smile.gif When I see your images, I feel like Santa Maria is our last stop at a big geology feature before we rush for the next 6 km to Cape York at Endeavour Crater... Our "last chance" science (and beer) saloon ! laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
That was indeed brilliant, Dan. Truly inspired.

Phil
fredk
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 4 2010, 05:14 PM) *
So your pink circle is really one of the craters, but the black circle is correct.

Agreed. Phil-o-vision saves the day! Here's my corrected version:
Click to view attachment
(And the filename is perfect - I've been fighting reality for a long time now! laugh.gif )
ngunn
Thanks Fred and Phil for that excellent key to the view ahead. All that's missing is the distance to that near horizon. It seems devoid of features that would make it easy to triangulate. Also it seems to retreat as we advance, as does tend to happen on convex surfaces. All the same there must come a point where convex gives way to concave and all the intervening ground is revealed. Maybe not for another fortnight - or maybe even tomorrow.
MoreInput
Hey, I just opend 4 doors at once today, and yeah, Oppy is faster than ever ...

MarkG
"Anatolia's"
We have not seen such a long, dramatic, and open, crack in the ground since then--the first months of Oppy's mission. There seemed to be hints of them in this area, but nothing to "fall into". Has anyone seen a scientific treatment of this feature, plus any relation to the ground we are currently traversing?
MoreInput
QUOTE (MarkG @ Dec 5 2010, 04:02 AM) *
"Anatolia's"
We have not seen such a long, dramatic, and open, crack in the ground since then--the first months of Oppy's mission. There seemed to be hints of them in this area, but nothing to "fall into". Has anyone seen a scientific treatment of this feature, plus any relation to the ground we are currently traversing?

I just found this paper a long time ago: "POSSIBILITY OF KARST MORPHOLOGY ON THE MARTIAN SURFACE AT THE MERIDIANI LANDING SITE FROM COMPARISON WITH TERRESTRIAL ANALOGS" (http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/1051.pdf), but I haven't heard anything new about this.
Could be interesting, if the cracks were really dolines.
jvandriel
Here is the Navcam view taken on Sol 2438.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

jvandriel
and the pancam view taken on Sol 2438.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.