Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On to Santa Maria!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
ngunn
Interesting. (And beautiful versions Mike and Fred, much appreciated and definitely worth doing.)

I have been trying a different tactic to get 3D. I rotated images for successive days so the horizons were vertical and tried viewing them as cross-eyed pairs. Lacking the relevant computer skills I was doing this with rather poor paper printouts held at different distances to match up the scales. Needless to say I was not too successful except that I did, just, discern that the near horizon was nearer than the crater before the headache came on. I do wonder though what this approach could yield if done properly.
jamescanvin
And tosols attempt to match features in a reprojected HiRISE image with those in Fred's images.

mhoward
Really good stuff, Fred and James. This is fun.
stevelu
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 8 2010, 01:10 PM) *
And tosols attempt to match features in a reprojected HiRISE image with those in Fred's images.

Interesting. The two pics seem to be from different angles -- that is, this one, and the long-baseline 3d I was replying to earlier -- but I can see how the horizontal break I see in the latter might just represent a hummocky ejecta blanket in front of the white hill. (Has anyone started naming these features yet?)

Ah, I've had so much on my plate the last few years, I haven't been fully engaged in this kind of anticipation and backseat driving in a long time. Feels great to be back biggrin.gif

Thanks to all you you hard-working vets, this place continues to be the goto site for Rover followers -- except for the way y'all ignore the cornucopia of out-of-focus machine parts and exo-lichens hidden in the images, of course wink.gif

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

fredk
I think that's it, Steve - we're seeing the ejecta blanket/rays in front of the white hill.

Ngunn - I also tried the vertical 3D, but I couldn't see anything.

You know what would be great - if the drivers wouldn't be so darned perfect, and drift a bit to the north and south as we approach Santa Maria. That'd give us better baselines for 3D imaging! laugh.gif
peter59
Surprise, fourth driving day in a row.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2010-12-09/
jvandriel
The complete Pancam view taken on Sol 2442
with the L2 Pancam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
mhoward
Sol 2444

Rover model is shown based on tracking data, not necessarily accurate:
Bobby
3 More Drives and 1 more to get to the Edge. Go Opportunity!!! Drive Drive Drive biggrin.gif
jvandriel
The L2 Pancam panoramic view of Santa Maria.
Taken on Sol 2443.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
ngunn
I vote for today's panorama as the latest HOAV moment. This is just the centrepiece: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...IJP2359R2M1.JPG
fredk
OK, here's my final L2R2 average for Santa Maria. Lens distortions across the full field of view make it impossible to align the two frames exactly. Besides, one more drive and we'll be able to see the whites of her eyes...
Click to view attachment
mhoward
fredk
OK, so here's something new. This is a "Frankenstein" long-baseline anaglyph. I've taken the 2443 image and enlarged it to match the scale of the 2444 image. We're heading directly towards a point very close to the centre of Santa Maria. So the parts of the crater on the left and right have transverse displacements between the two sols, so can be used to make a 3D image. But the displacements are opposite on opposite sides, which would make the depth look "inside-out" on one side. So I've swapped 2443 and 2444 parts on the right side of the anaglyph - you can clearly see the seam down the middle. The result is a proper sense of depth all across the image. But since the transverse displacements go to zero at the seam, the perception of depth also goes to zero there. So the image depth looks "pinched" at the centre. Quite a monster!
Click to view attachment
ngunn
Clever! I assume you've tried a conventional L-R anaglyph as well and that it fails to bring out any depth because we're still too far away?? Given the camera separation I'd expect that to start working pretty soon though, hopefully before we lose too much height.
Stu
Here's yer "conventional L-R anaglyph"... laugh.gif

http://twitpic.com/3ep0r2/full

Not much depth of field with the crater's features, but LOTS with the boulders surrounding it...

Geologists... welcome to Wonderland... smile.gif
djellison
This isn't wonderland. Wonderland's off in the distance.

This is the back of the line to get a ticket to go through the turnstile.... to wonderland smile.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 10 2010, 06:53 PM) *
conventional L-R anaglyph
Not much depth of field with the crater's features

Nice! Knowing that the apparent depth in anaglyphs increases with viewing distance I decided to view that one from a distance of 6 metres - using binoculars. It worked! So now my binoculars are crudely parcel-taped onto a telescope tripod located across the landing in my daughter's bedroom and my 3D specs are in two pieces taped over the binoculars. I think I'll leave them there and wait for your next few anaglyphs, Stu.

(Of course the binocular objectives are about twice as far apart as my eyes so I lost part of the advantage gained by going to 6 metres. The next stage would be to take the binoculars apart and reassemble them with the objectives closer together. Actually a small set of opera glasses without prisms would be ideal for this. I may scout round some antiques/junk shops tomorrow.)
Stu
Rover-sized blocks of ejecta... exposed layering... TWO areas of wind-blown dust dunes... rocks and boulders scattered all around... Santa Maria is definitely Wonderland.

That place on the far horizon, with its possible phylosillicates, unbelievable views of cratered mountains and deep, deep floor... ?

That's Oz, my friend. That's Narnia.

And we're about to get our first look at the Wardrobe. smile.gif
ngunn
This is OT but I don't think it will cause a long dgression. Anyone interested can send me a personal message.

I have an idea for enhancing the viewing of anaglyphs. What's needed is a pair of glasses that redirects the viewing angle from each eye the opposite way from ordinary binoculars. The objective lenses should be as close as possible - a distance equal to the aperture of each. There could be magnification, but in fact there need be no magnification at all, merely a reorientation of the lines of sight to make them more nearly parallel than the view from unaided human eyes.
marsophile
QUOTE (ngunn @ Dec 10 2010, 03:01 PM) *
... merely a reorientation of the lines of sight to make them more nearly parallel than the view from unaided human eyes.

Would it be equivalent to separate more widely the red and blue components of the anaglyph?
ngunn
QUOTE (marsophile @ Dec 11 2010, 01:11 AM) *
Would it be equivalent to separate more widely the red and blue components of the anaglyph?

Yes, but we're talking about angular separation here so that would require moving the cameras further apart - or taking them closer to the target. wheel.gif
jvandriel
The Sol 2444 Navcam L0 view of Santa Maria.

Jan van Driel
antoniseb
All I want (for Opportunity) is another 350 meters for Christmas.
Toma B
According to MER Pancam Data Tracking Web Interface tomorrow (sol 2447) is DRIVING DAY!
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

CODE
Sol   Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
----- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
02447 p0653.03 6   0   0   6   0   12   navcam_3x1_az_90_3_bpp
02447 p1211.03 2   0   0   2   0   4    ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
02447 p1254.02 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
02447 p1312.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15
02447 p1354.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
02447 p2360.27 8   0   0   8   2   18   pancam_drive_direction_4x1_L2R2
02447 p2601.05 4   2   0   0   2   8    pancam_tau_L78R48
02447 p2620.07 4   4   0   0   4   12   pancam_tau
02447 p2627.02 36  0   0   0   0   36   pancam_sky_radiance_thumbs_L457R247
02447 Total    66  6   0   22  8   102
MoreInput
Oppy is really to fast. Don't bet against a rover, here's the newest calendar:
jvandriel
Here is the Pancam L2 panoramic view of Santa Maria.
Taken on Sol 2444.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Added 1 image to the Sol 2444 L0 Navcam view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's a stretched view of the pancam mosaic (thanks Jan!) - showing a lot of detail out on the distant plains now, and around the crater.

Phil

Click to view attachment
KrisK
Again I played a little bit to make the color version of this front hazcam image (Sol-2444):
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...IJP1211L0M1.JPG

Below, color version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55907406@N08/...358424/sizes/z/
peter59
We are really close.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2NP0653R0M1.JPG
ngunn
And a good bit lower. The north rim is almost breaking the skyline.
mhoward
QUOTE (ngunn @ Dec 12 2010, 08:04 AM) *
And a good bit lower.

The metadata shows the rover driving down slope this last drive (it's a very slight slope). So I guess sol 2444 was the scenic overlook - until we get to the crater's edge, which of course isn't that far away now.

Edit: Looking at the 3D for the last several sols, it's clear in retrospect that we made the top of the slight rise and have been enjoying the "scenic overlook" since sol 2442 or so. I think it was just so gradual we never realized it. I didn't, anyway.
ngunn
From the shadows in the latest navcams it's apparent that the sun is almost directly behind the shot, so why does the most prominent boulder look so dark? It's difficult to imagine a shadowed surface in that position unless it's actually overhanging. Or maybe that rock is intrinsically dark, i.e. meteorite not bedrock*. Any thoughts?

*EDIT: Or I suppose possibly bedrock of a kind we haven't seen so far.
monty python
I would drive right up to that dark boulder, and the crater rim looks quite high - the best access to the crater edge might be just beyond that boulder.
fredk
That boulder could be dark also because it's surface is very rough. We've seen many examples like that.

I agree the lowest bit of the near rim is behind that boulder. But the slopes elsewhere look like something Oppy can easily handle as well, except maybe leading up to the big north rim hill.
Stu
We saw some very dark rocks inside Intrepid...

http://roadtoendeavour.files.wordpress.com...0/11/image4.jpg
ngunn
So possibly new geology to be done here. If that boulder isn't the next target I'm an Englishman.
ustrax
Here's my scientific contribution for the final approach.
Go Oppy! GO GO GO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn1PASIZCK0 biggrin.gif
(suddenly I saw myself dancing with Oppy on those plains and the weird thing is that it didn't feel...weird. Ah!)
Julius
very scientific indeed! laugh.gif
peter59
No drive today. mad.gif
Click to view attachment
fredk
We now have depth perception between the near and far rim using L/R pairs - no need for long baselines any more. You can see a pretty wide stretch of the far rim behind "big boulder":
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Nice view.

Phil

Click to view attachment
charborob
Santa Maria: I tried to remove some of the noise in the image.
Click to view attachment
Oersted
QUOTE (peter59 @ Dec 13 2010, 03:48 PM) *
No drive today. mad.gif

Hey, no need for an angry face.... Oppy goes at her own pace.
peter59
QUOTE (Oersted @ Dec 13 2010, 06:16 PM) *
Hey, no need for an angry face.... Oppy goes at her own pace.

OK, tomorrow probably also day without drive sad.gif
Stu
Scott just Tweeted:

Beautiful 140m drive this weekend! ~ 200m left to Santa Maria. Probably 120m today, then coarse approach of 60m, then fine approach of 20m.
remcook
A nice place to take a rest for Christmas..the rover (driver) deserves it! smile.gif
Stu
A little more from Scott...

OK, good news and bad news. Can't do hazard-avoidance driving today; too many data products. But downlink is up to a healthy 60 Mbits!

So probably 100m today, 80-100ish meters tomorrow, then a final approach to Santa Maria. Explore there during conjunction, then Endeavour!

mhoward

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.