Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concepción
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Mar 2 2010, 11:14 PM) *
Just noticed this. Was wondering if anyone knew what it was...
The first place I see it show up is sol 1547. Then on sols 1550, 1552, and 1557 there are sub-frame isolation shots. The updates show that this is the period when Opportunity escaped a sand trap in Duck Bay, Victoria Crater which it entered trying to reach the base of Cape Verde. Also, Opportunity had just spent a few immobile weeks while issues with the gimpy arm joint were investigated.

The number of haz-cam images taken of "this" when it first appears could be a coincidence as the updates refer to imaging of cleat marks in the sand to gauge the success of moving on from the sand trap.
Stu
Oppy making tracks around Concepcion...

Click to view attachment

Larger version here: http://twitpic.com/16cea9/full
Hungry4info
To me, it looks a bit thick for tape, but I'm not really sure.

Interesting, centsworth_II. Earlier, I did a similar search through images from Opportunity and did indeed first see it while she was in Victoria. Never saw it on Spirit.
ustrax
Don't remember seing it mentioned here but looks like that after Concepción we are heading in the direction of a crater named Santa Maria, Mini-Endurance?
Tesheiner
If they follow the path plotted by Tim Parker we'll first visit the "twin craters" and then move east towards Mini-Endurance. Has it been officially named Santa Maria?
Fran Ontanaya
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Mar 3 2010, 05:14 AM) *
Just noticed this.

It got loose in february 2009.
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...&pid=138980
centsworth_II
This is from June 3, 2008 -- Sol 1550.
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Steve just used the name Santa Maria in his LPSC talk this morning.

Phil
ustrax
Yes, I know Phil, but I don't know to which specific crater he was referring to...
stevesliva
QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 3 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Yes, I know Phil, but I don't know to which specific crater he was referring to...

According to Emily's very active twitter feed-- and she's on phone-only, no wifi, so probably not posting here-- Santa Maria is the crater where the proposed route bends.
fredk
It does look like Santa Maria is what we've been calling mini-Endurance - here's Emily's post.
Phil Stooke
Yes, i't mini-Endurance! And here's another new name for you... the big shallow saucer of a crater, filled with drifts, that this whole western jog has skirted, a sort of super-Porcupine if I may so call it, is called Nimrod on Tim Parker's poster.

Phil
elakdawalla
I am finally off the super crappy WiFi at the conference and on the much better WiFi at the airport while my flight is delayed so I can report in to confirm that yes mini-Endurance is Santa Maria. I Tweeted that especially for you guys, hoping you would pick it up smile.gif

Another juicy tidbit yet to be blogged is that Steve Squyres and D. Mittlefehldt gave totally different interpretations of what Marquette Island is (though they both agree that it's a totally unique rock, a type not before seen on Mars or as a Martian meteorite)
Stu
Oppy's been making tracks...

Click to view attachment
Explorer1
Goodbye, Concepción, we hardly new ya!

Onward, brave rover! wheel.gif
Stu
Pretty sure she's not leaving yet, just scooting around the side.
Tesheiner
Not that fast, my little grasshooper. smile.gif
Last move was just a few meters to the west. Check the map in a few minutes... done.
Explorer1
Yeah the orientation of the tracks and ejecta tail mad me think they were going due south. Next time I'll always wait for the route map's latest addition before rushing to conclusions!
Sunspot
where are they heading now?

Moved post from Route map thread, use this one for discussion - Mod
Poolio
My uninformed guess is due north, back to the edge of the crater. It looks like the short drive was intended to align the rover between two north-south dunes, positioning her on a "roadway" that will provide access back to the crater. There looks to be a pretty nasty dune on the west side of the crater, so this might be the reasonable point at which to approach it.
ustrax
QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 3 2010, 08:45 PM) *
It does look like Santa Maria is what we've been calling mini-Endurance

Is this Santa Maria Columbus' flagship?...
Bill Harris
Emily said:

Another juicy tidbit yet to be blogged is that Steve Squyres and D. Mittlefehldt gave totally different interpretations of what Marquette Island is

Jumping ahead (or sideways), I'd truly be interested in Marquette news! (hint hint)

--Bill
Tesheiner
QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 5 2010, 04:34 PM) *
Is this Santa Maria Columbus' flagship?...

That was my first impression too. And given the crater size it deserves the name of an important vessel.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 5 2010, 10:27 AM) *
Jumping ahead (or sideways), I'd truly be interested in Marquette news! (hint hint)

I was gonna do lunar stuff next but I figured I couldn't leave you guys hanging all weekend, so here's the Marquette stuff!
fredk
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 5 2010, 10:20 AM) *
Yeah the orientation of the tracks and ejecta tail mad me think they were going due south.

Here's a tip to figure out the orientation of these images: that image shows Oppy driving perpendicular to the dune ridges. But the dunes run pretty much exactly north-south here, so she couldn't be driving south.
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Emily)
I couldn't leave you guys hanging all weekend, so here's the Marquette stuff!
Thanks-- that is a good summary of what we've been looking at for the past few months.

But... Squyres made a typo in 1757.pdf and called Marquette "Mackinac":

Pancam and Microscopic Imager images of Mackinac Island show mm-size grains, and no layering or sedimentary
textures. We tentatively interpret Mackinac Island as an ejecta block from some distant crater, and
we are investigating the implications of it being a sample of previously unexamined martian crustal material.

Maybe we need an LPSC thread?

--Bill
Stu
Oppy's latest view of Concepcion...

http://twitpic.com/16wcvb/full

Really liking our multi-layered friend on the left there...

Click to view attachment
nprev
Yes, indeed...that's definitely one for the mantel! smile.gif
Stu
Like that rippled dune on the left hand side there...

Click to view attachment

( BTW, any UK forum members who want a pair of 3D glasses to view images like this (sorry, but the polarised glasses that you, um, forgot to give back after watching 'AVATAR' won't work; you need the red and blue ones) but haven't got any, here's a tip: go into your local branch of "THE WORKS" discount bookshop. At the moment there are quite a few kids 3D books in there that come with a free pair of glasses... )
Tesheiner
Good choice Stu. It's a really nice picture.
BTW, we can even see the rover tracks crossing a ripple at the top right corner. AFAIK these are the same ones we talked about some time ago. Let me search for a link...

Edited: That picture was taken during sol 2173 2174 after a 10+ meters drive still part of the CW circumnavigation. There are some "drive-direction" pancams on that same image batch and they are pointing toward the "twin craters" and IMO it means that we may be leaving soon; this monday perhaps.
Stu
I hope we're not leaving just yet; I'd really like a closer look at this fella here... he looks pale compared to all his friends...

Click to view attachment

Explorer1
Is it just a perspective trick or does that look pretty hard for Oppy to access? A lot of rocks in the way....
Stu
Not expecting her to drive up to it - that's obviously a very hurtful place for a rover - just hoping she can get a bit closer to give us a clearer look. smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
Also remember that when you select a small section of one of these images and zoom in on it, there is a significant amount of foreshortening going on. Those rocks are not as close together as it might appear.
Stu
Agreed. here's the full size version...

Click to view attachment

The only way Oppy is getting next to that rock is if she teleports there... laugh.gif
Hungry4info
I thought she was designed for this sort of stuff. Spirit drove right over Adriondack. Are these rocks of comparable size?
Stu
Hmmm. But remember, Adirondack was just sat there on its own. That pale rock has a lot of clutter around it.

Kind of academic anyway, I'm sure it's nothing special, and you can almost feel Oppy straining to head away from Concepcion and strike out for that hill-rippled horizon... smile.gif
fredk
There was some discussion of this recently, I think in the planetary update. She can drive into rocks like this, but the problem is if she's perched with one wheel on a rock she may be unstable for IDD work.
Hungry4info
QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 7 2010, 05:25 PM) *
There was some discussion of this recently, I think in the planetary update. She can drive into rocks like this, but the problem is if she's perched with one wheel on a rock she may be unstable for IDD work.

Could a quick underbelly MI mosaic would be able to determine if she were in such an unfavourable orientation?
Explorer1
What's the effective range on Mini-TES to collect data from a distance?
Not just for this rock, but when they find other interesting rocks in view but out of reach? How close does the instrument have to be for measurements?
Phil Stooke
"he looks pale compared to all his friends..."

So do I, but I don't want Opportunity poking me.

Phil
Stu
I think you're safe, Phil smile.gif

Nice new view...

Click to view attachment
Tman
It seems no one dares to say it looks like a meteorite...
tacitus
So what's the goal of the circumnavigation of this crater? Is it to study the splash pattern surrounding it, or are they looking for a candidate rock for a close-up study?
Stu
Nice in 3D, not bad in colour either...

Click to view attachment
ngunn
The step change in apparent dune size in the middle distance is particularly striking across this view. Presumably it's due to the more distant part of the scene being appreciably lower, or else there is an unseen hollow between the two.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...LNP2385L7M1.JPG
fredk
That view is looking north, from where we came. We made a bit of a climb up to a local ridge at Concepcion, but it was still very subtle. I think that change in dune size is more due to the odd patch of large dunes surrounded by large gaps with few or very small dunes (check Tesheiner's route map).
Stu
Wonder how much longer we'll be enjoying this view...?

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Today's plan is to move from here. The question is if it's just another step of the circumnavigation or if we are leaving the area.
My take, based on the last batch of "drive-planning" pictures, is that we are saying good bye.

We should know the answer on the next images' update.
Tesheiner
We've left Concepción, indeed. Posts / images / etc. still associated to Concepción should be made here, but use this new thread for further discussions / posts related to the daily business.

From Concepción to the "Twin Craters", and beyond...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.