Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concepción
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Stu
Today's most fascinating rocks...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
marsophile
QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 22 2010, 02:26 PM) *
Today's most fascinating rocks...

In Stu's first image, there seems to be a second layer that is qualitatively different from the smooth crust layer. It is green in the false color while the crust is blue-grey. The second layer seems to be packed with berries. Any thoughts on this?
Shaka
I'm not convinced that there are two different layers, of different colors - just areas of an excavated filled crack that do or don't contain blueberries. The berry-filled areas have different albedo properties that can mimic an actual color change, but there need not be any implied change in minerology.
This is another filled crack, exposed by the impact, such as we first examined a fortnight ago at Chocolate Hills. I have seen quite a number of fragments of such gray crack-fill on the Concepcion ejecta. It seems to be a characteristic of this crater, that we have not noticed before at other Meridiani craters, though we have looked at a large number of laminated sandstone ejecta blocks. Again I ask: why the difference?

Howzabout a WAG hypothesis that preexisting cracks in the bedrock filled up with sediment, but that only wider spaces between the blocks would admit blueberries. Then something happened to indurate/lithify the crack fill. This could have involved slow, cold, 'damp' chemistry or a quick, hot, impact related process that happened a fraction of a second before the blocks were ejected. Assuming that JPL did the spectrometry on the Chocolate Hills exposure, they may have clear evidence for one of these alternatives - or maybe not unsure.gif . I still can't understand why we see it here and not at Eagle or Endurance or Beagle or Victoria etc. Unless this kind of crack fill just doesn't last more than a thousand years (or 5 or 10 or so) after exposure. blink.gif

Looking forward to JPL's report.
Stu
3D panorama of lots and lots of rocks...! laugh.gif

http://twitpic.com/14yqg5
fredk
Oh-oh. It looks like Oppy's made a serious navigational error on her latest drive, and ended up at the Viking 2 lander site:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...FNP1212R0M1.JPG
wink.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif
Stu
Wow... pick yer way through that lot, Oppy...!!

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
laugh.gif Exactly what I thought when I saw this one, possibly the most classically 'Mars like' image Oppy has ever taken.

Also in the downlink today was the last bit of the initial Concepción Crater pan. smile.gif

James
eoincampbell
... initial Concepción Crater pan. smile.gif

WOW! A marvelous product for a marvelous vista!
Thanks
Stu
Gorgeous pic James, one to drool over, definitely.
Explorer1
Oh yeah, definitely in the Top 10 list for panoramas... not that I'd ever try making such a list, of course!
wink.gif
Stu
Today's "Wow!" Award surely has to go to...

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
You've been doing some beautiful work with these rocks, Stu.

Phil
Stu
Thanks Phil, appreciate that. A couple more in this new blog post...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...ocks-everywhere
eoincampbell
Amazing quality! You really take us there Stu... please keep 'em coming smile.gif
Ta
climber
Yes Stu! Trouble is we trend to take this as granted and as "normal" product from you.
Your hard work deserve an award instead tongue.gif
Tesheiner
Some pics. from sol 2165 are down: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2010-02-25/
We're still near the ejecta ray but moving away. I'm wondering if the intention is to "sniff" another target or just do a circumnavigation...
roastbeef
I hope we're moving on...
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Stu
Can't see it; there are a lot more fascinating rocks here to see yet...

Click to view attachment
belleraphon1
Stu.. your pics. They bring out the sands of time writ on the layered rocks of Mars. All I can say is WOW!

As eager as I am to march on to Endeavour... a lot can be learned here.

Craig
Floyd
Some really exciting data here for getting some correlations:
-The rate at which the surface is removed, and berries exposed for newly excavated blocks
-The rate at which craters fill
-The rate at which ejecta gets buried
-Time, hundreds of years, thousands, tens of thousands?
Which processes are better know as to time constrints:
-Surface removal of newly exposed blocks
-Filling of craters and burying of ejecta
Any experts here want to educate us on these issues rolleyes.gif

charborob
Stu, I love your pictures. Do you just colorize the raw grayscale images, or do you combine images taken through various filters to get the color? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't really have the time to tinker with the MER images, and I am continually amazed by what you guys manage to do with them. When the MER missions began, I tried combining red, green and blue MER images, and I got horrible results. I quit trying then.)
Stu
To be honest, I really do just "mess about" with the R, G & B raw images (or whatever's available) in Paintshop and then Photoshop Elements until I get something that seems to have the same colours as the images seen in Jim Bell's book and on the official rover websites. I know others here use all sorts of algorithms, hi-tech tweaks and the like - which is why people like James and Ant produce images so superior to mine! - but I just change levels and hues and saturations until I get something that looks suitably martian. (Sharpen up a bit... add some highlighting on a layer... throw a floodlight on it... yep, pretty...!) So, as I've said before, my images shouldn't be taken as "calibrated" or "true colour", they're essentially images of 'My Mars' to show in my Outreach talks. I'm just glad some people here like them too. smile.gif

Some new Concepcion images here: http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/.../tootling-along
NickF
I'm a similar situation to charborob when it comes to creating RGB images from MER pancams.

Using Photoshop, my L4/L5/L6 composites typically end up with blue soil and require a lot of fiddling around with channel and colour mixers, levels, hue, saturation and contrast before I end up with something that looks (very) approximately Mars-ish. I often find the process unsatisfactory. All credit to Stu et al for their wonderful images.
Stu
And the nominations for today's Best Boulders go to...

Click to view attachment

... and ...

Click to view attachment

More pics here: http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...ction-of-stones
RokitSiNTst
First Post.

I find it interesting that these look like they were once one with the near end and far end pointing up at one time then the rock split causing the two halves to fall away from each other? After further staring, there are spots of the coating(?) on different planes of the first rock...indication that the coating may be crack fill and not ejecta splash?

ADMIN: Welcome. When you post images, please do not include large inline files. Instead upload the images as attachments, as we have done for you here. It allows people with slower connections and limited bandwidth to browse more easily and only view the images that they want a better look at.

Roger that. I presumed it would end up like Stu's. That's what I get for thinkin!;)
Phil Stooke
I agree - there wouldn't be any impact melt from a small impact like this. It has to be crack fill material.

Fill.
nprev
But the crack fill would have to predate the impact given that this is thought to be a recent crater, yes? That seems like a discontinuity. We've seen no evidence of current volatiles @ Meridiani...which in itself doesn't mean they're not there, of course.
Phil Stooke
Not sure I get that, np old chap - the crack fill could be half a billion years old or more, maybe 3 billion. Suddenly it's excavated by this recent impact. A million years from now all these friable rocks will be broken into sand and dust. We normally see crack fill as a little protrusion along a crack, here we see it, rather ephemerally, on the sides of blocks.

Phil
nprev
Guess what I'm stumbling on is trying to understand how, structurally, an already-fractured rock could survive the Concepcion impact relatively unscathed. The tensile/bonding strength of the fill material is an unknown, though, so probably I'm reading too much into this.
Stu
I've written a new "astropoem", inspired by Concepcion, and I hope some of you will take a moment to go read it over on my "Road to Endeavour" blog.

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...artian-geology/

HUGE thanks to Ant103 for giving me permission to use one of his beautiful wallpapers as the background image! smile.gif
Poolio
Excellent, Stu! One of your best. Do these come easy to you or do suffer about them for untold hours and days before presenting them to the world? And I couldn't agree more about the background image. In fact, it's been my desktop image ever since it appeared in this thread several weeks ago.
Joffan
nprev, my amateur "arm-wavey" explanation would be remind you that not all rocks broken and ejected by the impact experienced the same level of energy. The rock in the middle vaporized; the next area out was shattered any-old-how by the shock wave and flung far; and the furthest-out rock was broken along its weakest lines and tumbled a short distance.

Further observation: the crusts run roughly perpendicular to the strata, and we haven't seen much in the way of non-horizontal strata in undisturbed rock, so the crusts were formed vertical. Crack-fill.
Stu
Poolio,

Thanks for the kind comments (and everyone else who's looked, too, I appreciate it!). I'd love to be able to say that I sit here tormented for days, hunched over a piece of parchmet, quill in hand, as wild-eyed and tousle-haired as Byron, fighting to put down in words the images that swirl around my mind... but um, no, it's just a case of grabbing at a random thought as it passes - maybe inspired by an image, or a small part of an image, or just an imaginary event - and then pinning it down and writing something around it. Sometimes - once every third or fourth Blue Moon! - it all comes out in a rush, and follows the express route from heart to brain to fingers and then to paper (ALWAYS paper first, then onto the PC), but most times it's a matter of spending several days mulling it over and over in my head, then grabbing a piece of paper and a pen and finding a quiet corner to hide in while I hurriedly jot down a "Hmmm, that'll work..." line when it suddenly comes to me.

Not suggesting for a moment my poems are important, or anything special, but they're mine, and they're how I see, and feel, and experience Mars and the rest of the universe, and, having seen my work up on the walls at JPL, I do have a hope that in the far future some of my MER poems will be put up on the walls in the MER gallery of the Smithsonian Museum of Mars, and read by native martians and tourists from Earth, Luna and the other worlds, and hopefully even enjoyed. smile.gif
jamescanvin
Here is my final version of the "Concepción interior" pan taken at Chocolate Hills (including Oppy at work on the intriguing rocks)

James
Stu
Good GRIEF James!!! That's unbelievable! I could just wander around that image for hours. And probably will... smile.gif
Stu
Oppy's fairly scootling around Concepcion, isn't she..?

Click to view attachment

I like this rock. Nice colour and surface texture contrast with the ones around it...

Click to view attachment
climber
I like the rover tracks.
I guess the rover drivers have great times those days.
nprev
Man, she cut DEEP through some of those dunes. Kinda scary. unsure.gif
Tesheiner
I think it's just an ilumination artifact given the lower sun angle during martian autumn.

Here's the latest navcam mosaic taken during sols 2167 and 2168. Still circumnavigating but a little bit farther from CC to avoid crossing the ejecta ray.
Click to view attachment
Stu
I think they are a little deeper than your average track, BooBoo...

Click to view attachment
djellison
Across the dune crests they're deeper than usual, but not deeper than we usually see on dune crests smile.gif
Stu
Okay... rolleyes.gif
centsworth_II
Looks like a lot of spinning in place and slippage in this spot I circled on the image Stu posted.
Click to view attachment
djellison
What makes you think it's slippage?

All we can see is a bit of sinkage.
Tesheiner
Some tidbits from Salley Rayl's monthly MER report:

Concepción Crater's age:
But at this stage the “guesstimate,” according to crater expert and MER science team member Matt Golombek at JPL, is that Concepción is “thousands to tens of thousands of years old, definitely younger than 100,000 years old.”

Power levels during winter:
Since Opportunity is closer to the equator than its twin, it has basically coasted through its first three Martian winters. This time around, however, its power levels are being impacted enough that the team has scheduled sols “here and there,” Laubach said, for the rover to focus on re-charging its batteries.

Activity during the circumnavigation:
“We're going to pay special attention to the ejecta at Concepción by taking a lot of ground shots,” Lever said. “If the scientists see a ‘dinosaur bone,’ they'll stop and look at it. And, I have a feeling the rover is going to find some more juicy targets around this crater before we take off for Endeavour.”

I recognise these colours. smile.gif
Chocolate Hills
Opportunity took this image of the Chocolate Hills rock that it studied up-close this month (February 2010) with its panoramic camera. It was enhanced by Stuart Atkinson, whose work has been appearing in these Updates frequently.Check out Atkinson's "Road to Endeavour" blog at http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/
Credit: NASA / JPL-Caltech / Cornell / enhanced by S. Atkinson
walfy
Maybe the impact rattled and fluffed up the dunes a bit and that's why there might be more wheel sinkage than usual.
fredk
Thanks for the summary, Tesheiner. It might be worth it for some readers to stress that "dinosaur bone" here means "something of interest" - no one on the team would think there may be real bones about.
Stu
Seriously, I'm always honoured when AJS Rayl uses any of my images in her excellent reports. I hope new members will click on that link and read the latest; like many of Emily's posts on TPS blog, it's a textbook example of how to write up a scientific news story.
Hungry4info
Just noticed this. Was wondering if anyone knew what it was, and why it moved in one of the most recent rear hazcam shots.
nprev
Kapton tape?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.