Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concepción
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
ugordan
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jan 31 2010, 03:56 PM) *
Still at least 2/3 of the pan to add, but seeing how everyone is falling over themselves over this one...

Very nice!
fredk
QUOTE (glennwsmith @ Jan 31 2010, 07:08 PM) *
The Rover mission planners have always been concerned to capture scenic vistas
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Science and driving have always been the goals of rover imaging. As far as I know it's only been a very few times that scenery has been a factor. Imaging Earth is the only one that comes to mind now.

But as we all know, the results have certainly been scenic. The reason is just that we've been to some incredibly scenic places. So images intended for science/engineering can give the impression of being planned for scenic effect (especially after they've been carefully cropped!).

Witness the careful positioning for the current panorama -- I will not say of Concepcion, but with Concepcion as its focal point -- with the rays of detritus pointing to the mountains (or whatever they are) on the horizon; a framing, one might say, that goes beyond the needs of pure science.

... better spent -- from a purely scientific standpoint -- in taking detailed photos of the many interesting pieces of ejecta.
But we've only got down a portion of the panorama so far. We haven't seen the full framing yet!

And it's common practice to take wide or full 360 panoramic pancam mosaics at especially important sites. You can't always know where to target the pancam based on the navcams since they don't have colour information and are lower resolution than pancam.
ngunn
That's the best thing about Concepcion - its location. They can't help capturing the scenery. smile.gif
djellison
At a basic level, documenting the key waypoints of our traverses is just common sense.
Stu
New pancams are down! smile.gif I'm not even going to try to add them to The Panorama - I'll leave that to Ant and James! - but I would like to highlight a couple of rocks seen more clearly in the new images...

Click to view attachment

There's a "mini Wopmay" bottom left there, as Nick already pointed out, but this fella is pretty striking, don't you think..?

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
I thought that "your fella" was actually mini-Wopmay. smile.gif
BTW, I checked the pancam web and it has been named "Mahanay Island".
serpens
QUOTE (OWW @ Jan 31 2010, 05:24 PM) *
EDIT: Curious. What happened to the left side of the rock? Pre- or postimpact?

Looks like fracture fill. Makes sense that the bedrock would separate along a pre-existing fracture on impact.
Egon
I agree.
charborob
Stu, thanks for posting these images, especially the "little fella" (Mahanay Island is it?). This rock shows very well the degradation process in action on the Meridiani rocks. In a previous post, I was wondering why other (older) craters that we've seen weren't surrounded by rocks, like Conceptión is. The answer is right there. The rocks simply disintegrate away, like Phil mentioned. If this rock has only been exposed for 1000 - 10,000 years, imagine what would be left of it in a million years.
Stu
Thanks charborob, I find this an interesting image too - look at the huge differences between the two largest rocks visible on it. The layered one on the left, that looks like rotten wood (but ISN'T!!!!! If any Woo Woo'ers are reading, that's a visual comparison, I'm not saying it's a tree, ok?!?!?!) looks so fragile and delicate you can imagine touching it and seeing it fall to pieces. The one on the right, another "mini-Wopmay", looks much denser and sturdier.

Click to view attachment

There will be some fascinating 3D views here soon, I'm sure...

alan
Nice pile of blueberries around Mahanay Island, could be useful in making a more precise age estimate.
Phil Stooke
Stu, I think the differences you mention are more about viewing the layers end-on or face-on. They look like similar rocks to me.

Phil
Stu
You think? Hmm. They look quite different to me - the one on the left has none of that Wopmayesque crazy-paving surface structure.... You may be right. I'll look forward to a closer look. smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Right, but the one on the left turns its Wopmay face away from us. It's still probably as wrinkled as I am.

Phil
belleraphon1
OOOhhh Boy....

I think the rock hounds are gonna wanna stay here a while.

Craig
fredk
They may get their wish. From the latest PS report:
Opportunity’s plan for the next couple of weeks is to drive as far around the 10-meter (33-foot) diameter crater as possible, taking pictures all along the way.
Zeke4ther
What I find intriguing is how we have sharp, clean shear faces on some rocks, and at the same time, very obvious erosion on the others.
fredk
Amusing error in this new blurb:
the rover reached the ejecta blanket of material surrounding what may be the youngest crater on Mars, "Concepcion" crater.
I guess the MGS folks would have something to say about that...
elakdawalla
I'm guessing the caption writer got a bit carried away from the starting point that Concepcion is probably the youngest crater that Oppy has visited.
serpens
But the Planetary Society report attributes to Squires the comment that this is the freshest crater on Mars?
fredk
Clearly a typo. Probably meant to say "This is by far the freshest crater we've visited yet on Mars..."
MarkG
From this pancam picture...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...66P2369L2M1.JPG

...there is a real nice example of a fully-mineralized crack in a fragment of ejecta....

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 2 2010, 01:24 AM) *
They may get their wish. From the latest PS report:
Opportunity’s plan for the next couple of weeks is to drive as far around the 10-meter (33-foot) diameter crater as possible, taking pictures all along the way.

Next drive is planned for tomorrow, sol 2143.
NW71
Got a horrible feeling this is going to appear very naive but I'm going to post anyway... unsure.gif

Reading this thread there appears to be an assumption (which I'm sure is correct) that Concepcion cannot possibly be the youngest crater (at least of this size) on Mars. Do we know for sure that is the case? Can this be proved statistically or simply by the evidence in front of our eyes?

Statistically, I'd be very interested to know how regularly meteorites form such craters on Mars (and how this number compares to Earth)?

With our eyes, I'm assuming that we have pictures over the last 30 years of Mars showing new craters and therefore proving Concepcion is not the youngest?

Neil
Phil Stooke
Absolutely right. We have before-after images of lots of craters forming in the last decade or so. This one, merely by virtue of its ejecta being so visible over the drifts, is the youngest seen so far by our rover.

Phil
Oersted
And statistical evidence you say?

Well, I'd say that Opportunity is a rover which systematically demolishes every statistical presupposition... From it's "hole in one" touchdown, to all it did since then. So, statistics are out, and Oppy would probably also have landed right within roveable distance to the freshest crater on Mars if it could have... laugh.gif
Hungry4info
NW71, MGS and MRO have imaged areas of Martian terrain multiple times, and on at least one occasion, a crater appeared in the later image that was not there in the earlier image.
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_010200_1805
djellison
And CTX has spotted over 100 new craters on Mars in our brief history of Martian exploration.
NW71
Thanks guys... I did say I might regret the naivety of that post... (walks off, slightly embarrassed) blink.gif laugh.gif

Neil
ElkGroveDan
MRO: New Impact Craters on Mars

MGS MOC: Present-Day Impact Cratering on Mars

Floyd
Neil--No problem asking questions. After a year or two of reading all the posts, you will be a space expert laugh.gif . Well at least you will read what the real space experts have to say. Welcome.
fredk
No problem, Neil. I'm sure you weren't the only one out there.

And, Oersted's jesting aside, the odds of Oppy finding the youngest crater really are ridiculously low. Total Mars surface area is around 140 000 000 sq km. Area visited by Oppy is something like 20 km x 0.1 km = 2 sq km. Call it 100 sq km if you like. Then we've visited around one millionth of the surface. So the odds are one in a million that we'd stumble on the youngest crater. And even if we did, it wouldn't stay the youngest for long!
BrianL
Let's hope that Concepcion doesn't become the youngest crater on Mars anytime in the near future. smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Should we rename the crater Misconcepcion?

Phil
Stu
Don't worry, Neil, as they say, there are no stupid questions... Actually, that's not true; there are some VERY stupid questions, but you haven't asked any yet! laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 2 2010, 08:30 AM) *

Badda-booom, tsssshhhhh laugh.gif
NW71
Phil, that has to be an earlier contender for pun of the year (that is a competition I would not enjoy judging)!

Seriously, thank you (Stu, Dan, Doug, Fred, Oersted, Hungry4info, Floyd, Tesheiner etc) for the reassurance and the time you have all taken answering queries etc. I'm only just beginning to realise just how many factors and how many different directions this forum can go in... If you're ready to answer them I'm ready to keep asking them!

Until the next query... rolleyes.gif

Neil
Den
It is not hard to infer that "this crater/rock is older than that one" by comparing which one is more weathered, but absolute age... IIUC now it is only tentatively known than Concepción is somewhere between 100 and 10000 years old, right?

What can be done by rovers in order to better constrain absolute ages of features on Mars? Come to think of it, I don't know how geologists do it on Earth either... These rovers can't do radioisotope dating, so what then can do?

Can APXS detect hydrogen/water? Can it be put into crater's dust covered center? In very young craters, ice may still very slowly sublimate from under surface, long after it looks covered by dry dust... OTOH, do we have detectable subsurface ice here, on the equator?
marsophile
QUOTE (Den @ Feb 2 2010, 01:21 PM) *
IWhat can be done by rovers in order to better constrain absolute ages of features on Mars?

If we could find the impactor that created Concepcion crater, we might possibly be able to estimate how long it has been on Mars from APXS isotope measurements. Not sure if APXS can measure the relevant isotopes, but products of cosmic ray impacts while in space decay at a known rate after landfall on the surface.
Sunspot
The layering in some of these rocks is stunning. !!
nprev
I'm still stunned by Phil's pun... rolleyes.gif
exoplanet
I think what is really and truly interesting in these rocks are the status of the blueberries. From what I have read from previous posts is that it would take "millions" of years for the blueberries to fall out of the "muffin" rocks. Here we are seeing this in 1000's of years.
exoplanet
Before I sign off for the night I would like to put my thoughts down on this crater. The previous "hypothesis" of how the blueberries are eroding out of the bedrock just does not make sense if this crater is so young. The rock faces should not only be razor sharp but the blueberries should be broken in many cases (not all) along the fractures of the bedrock due to the impact. This is not what we are seeing here. Either this crater is much older than what has been stated (in this case - move on to Endurance ASAP as there is no real science here) or the blueberries are not concretions but something else.

I am sorry but the blueberries along the route to Endurance have stayed the same size for many kilometers. If these are truly concretions we should be seeing the size of the blueberries differ by great amounts over this distance. I hope Juramike is reading this thread - I would love to hear his take on this.
fredk
Here's what may be one reason to stick around. I've noticed a couple of cobbles that stand out recently. Here's a good example: it's much smoother than the meridiani pavement ejecta, and also much darker in L2:
Click to view attachment
Could this be a piece of the impactor?
ups
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 2 2010, 04:30 PM) *

Phil

hee hee hee

smile.gif
Phil Stooke
"Should we rename the crater Misconcepcion?"

Wow, that went over quite well. I must be witty more often.

Phil
nprev
Well, the first time's always a charm... rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
Stu
Very interesting sighting, Fred! I believe today is a driving day, so we can all play "Spot the Impactor"! smile.gif

(Any we find, Nick gets to keep as birthday presents - happy birthday Nick! smile.gif )
Tesheiner
Yes it was.
There are still no images on the exploratorium (another bottleneck in the pipeline?) but from the available data it was something like a few meters back over the tracks and then 5m east. Is there any interesting rock on that area?

(Happy birthday Nick!)
Stu
Nice view now...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.