Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post Block Island Meteor Studies (The Western Route)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Nirgal
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 21 2009, 09:36 PM) *
Recent Drive Direction mosaics:

Excellent work !

The 2007 view in particular is phantastic (one of the best meridiani vistas so far)

Oersted
Oh, but the undulating tracks in "2006".... - Lovely! She's really chugging along over the waves like a little fishing-boat off the Grand Banks!
PhilCo126
Oppy's tracks in those (superb) mosaics really look like driving ontop of very wet sand... or wet clay smile.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Sep 22 2009, 04:49 PM) *
Here is the Navcam view of Sol 2011 showing the Nereus crater.

Good job. I tried that one with autostitch but the results were only regular.
One comment / correction: That mosaic was taken "mid-drive" during sol 2011 and the crater is not Nereus but actually Nautilus. A similar mosaic was also shot at the same position but with the pancam.

02011::p1713::03::6::0::0::6::0::12::navcam_3x1_az_198_3_bpp
02011::p2411::20::36::0::0::36::2::74::pancam_Nautilus_9x1_L257R2
jamescanvin
Thanks for all the nice comments. Here is a quick go at the sol 2011 drive direction mosaic. smile.gif

James
dburt
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Sep 22 2009, 09:48 AM) *
Oppy's tracks in those (superb) mosaics really look like driving ontop of very wet sand... or wet clay smile.gif

Agreed and a good observation. As has been noted previously, the apparent particle cohesion is most likely caused by a high content of salts that have sucked enough moisture out of their environment to render them sticky. Low temperatures favor the accumulation of moisture by hygroscopic or deliquescent salts. Wicking and evaporation of condensed moisture towards the surface could increase the salt content there (the duricrust hypothesis that dates from Viking lander days). The surface looks "wet" when it is actually salty, cold, and just a tiny bit moist (owing to the salts). Or at least that's one explanation.

-- HDP Don
serpens
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Sep 22 2009, 05:48 PM) *

Actually the tracks don't look significantly different to the Apollo rover tracks.
Phil Stooke
Any stickiness would result in the wheels getting thickly coated with the damp regolith. It would be apparent immediately, and would have become a major problem from sol 1 on. The tracks look much more like impressions in fine dry powder - like lunar tracks as serpens said. But it's the behavior of the dust on the wheels that clinch it - it cakes on and then falls off, it doesn't really stick.

Phil
Tesheiner
Today, sol 2014, was once again dedicated for driving. About 60m were added to the odometer.
Here's a snapshot from Google Mars with our current position, based only in the mobility data while today's images don't hit the exploratorium. Opportunity is about 100m (two driving sols) from reaching a very big patch of bedrock which will probably be our "yellow brick road" for the next month or so.
Check the KML file in the route map thread and don't forget to download SFJCody's map extensions to see the background map to the west.
Click to view attachment

Edit: added a link to the map extensions.
dburt
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 23 2009, 04:19 AM) *
Any stickiness would result in the wheels getting thickly coated with the damp regolith. It would be apparent immediately, and would have become a major problem from sol 1 on. The tracks look much more like impressions in fine dry powder - like lunar tracks as serpens said. But it's the behavior of the dust on the wheels that clinch it - it cakes on and then falls off, it doesn't really stick.

Phil and Serpens - Thanks for your insights. Your logic apears excellent, although "damp" might be completely the wrong word here (i.e., for a molecule-scale coating of polar water molecules on top of unsatisfied ionic bonds), and weak self-adhesion of dust particles, allowing the development of "wet-appearing" vertical walls in ruts, isn't the same as strong bulk adhesion to a vibrating foreign object such as a moving wheel. Utter lack of personal experience dealing with martian conditions (very fine cold heterogeneous salty dust in a near vacuum in a weak gravity field) may have led me, and possibly you also, astray. Terrestrial experience (thick, moist, warm atmosphere, little day-night temperature difference, clay-dominated dust particles or rounded quartz sand, few salts, strong gravity field) could be misleading in dealing with Martian conditions. Lunar experience (perfect vacuum; hot dry angular salt-free glassy agglutinate particles) could also be misleading in this regard.

Bottom line: I don't know who is right, possibly none of us, but I'd be wary of either terrestrial or lunar analogs.

-- HDP Don
alan
The circled crater looks young. Perhaps it will be the next stop.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Yeah, I think you are right.

Speaking of craters, I saw that today's imaging plan has a sequence to take a pancam shot of a crater named "Gjoa". I believe it is this tiny little crater right beside the rover's position on sol 2014.
Click to view attachment

After searching for its meaning I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjøa.
"Gjøa was the first vessel to transit the Northwest Passage. With a crew of six, Roald Amundsen traversed the passage in a three year journey, finishing in 1906."
Really nice name selection, isn't it?
PaulM
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 24 2009, 06:58 AM) *

Block Island was visible in a HIRise photo. Large slabs of bedrock are often visible on HIRise photos. However, the only distinct rock that I remember seeing on the open plains was Block Island. What I wondered is whether all distinct visible rocks on the open plains in HIRise photos are meteorites?

I wonder whether it would be worth searching for similar distinct rocks on HIRise photos over Oppy's entire projected route to Endeavour Crater?

If we found such a rock then we could suggest a deviations of a few 100m to the left or the right to investigate that promising looking rock.
RobertEB

I see 3 dimples in this shot. I am guessing those are tiny craters. I would like to the them look at one with the Microscopic Imager.

Source
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 23 2009, 10:58 PM) *
Click to view attachment

Bang my head moment here, but in my view from Google Mars the HIRISE image ends before this point Alan. Did you do your own overlay? OR am I doing something wrong here?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 24 2009, 02:48 PM) *
Bang my head moment here, but in my view from Google Mars the HIRISE image ends before this point Alan.

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 23 2009, 09:02 PM) *
...and don't forget to download SFJCody's map extensions to see the background map to the west.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=142132

smile.gif

EDIT:
Oops, Thanks Tesheiner (below) for correcting the link (now fixed)
I was being lazy and just copied what was in my browser rather than clicking on the post number to get the link. As I have the the board set to display 40 posts per page it wouldn't have worked for those set to only show 10 per page.
Tesheiner
James, thanks for finding the post but the link above points to two pages before, at least on my browser. This one goes directly to it: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=142132

(BTW, I should better add the link to my previous post on this thread.)
marsophile
QUOTE (PaulM @ Sep 24 2009, 03:59 AM) *
What I wondered is whether all distinct visible rocks on the open plains in HIRise photos are meteorites?

I wonder whether it would be worth searching for similar distinct rocks on HIRise photos over Oppy's entire projected route to Endeavour Crater?

It might be worth equipping future rovers with an instrument for accurately dating meteorites from their isotope ratios. If meteorites are common on the Martian surface, that might serve to constrain the age of the terrain and the rate of erosion. Perhaps an enhanced version of the APXS could have that capability.
ElkGroveDan
Thanks James. I knew it had to be something like that.
Vultur
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 24 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Speaking of craters, I saw that today's imaging plan has a sequence to take a pancam shot of a crater named "Gjoa". I believe it is this tiny little crater right beside the rover's position

What is the scale on that image: how big is Gjoa?
Poolio
Looks to be about 4m across.
Tesheiner
It's partially visible on this image: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...U9P1861L0M1.JPG

Now, it's 70m behind the current position. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
djellison
We're almost 500m west of Block Island already.
BrianL
Indeed, at this pace, we could be at Endeavour in a year and a half (or so, I'm not claiming precise arithmetic here). Wishful thinking, perhaps, but I am loving the current commitment to drive, drive, drive. Keeping my fingers crossed that they have truly figured out the key to keeping the RF wheel happy without delaying rest stops.
climber
It'll become even better for RF in a few more meters when we'll hit the hard ground
Tesheiner
Let's see if we have any hint of information about the currents in the next official status report.
Meanwhile, just say that I believe Opportunity will stop here for the weekend; there are some MIs planned for tosol so guess the next move may be on saturday or sunday.
Tesheiner
From the current status report:
Motor currents in the right-front wheel remain well behaved.
As of Sol 2014 ... Total odometry is 17,717.33 meters (11.01 miles).]

Tesheiner
Here's the navcam mosaic taken during sol 2017 and pointing towards SW.
Click to view attachment
Bill
New intersting rock ahead ? After the next drive, we will not be very far. The rock is near the horizon at right on this navcam.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P0733L0M1.JPG

Waiting for pancam.
CosmicRocker
Does anyone have any thoughts about the curious Microscopic Imager images that came down from sol 2016? A front Hazcam image from the same sol shows the dusty MI pointed toward what I am guessing is the shoulder elevation actuator of the IDD. I am not sure that is what it is, but it's my best guess after comparing the images to a drawing and a model of the rover.

I wonder what they may be looking for.
Astro0
Yes, interesting....???? huh.gif
Click to view attachment

Problem? Pointing error? Test for Spirit's "Matrix-move"? Hmmm?
Maybe they're thinking about Doug's suggested MI self-portrait. wink.gif
jamescanvin
I few more small mosaics. Drive directions from sols 2013, 2014 & 2015 and Gjøa Crater.

All the thumbs link to the same blog entry.

Gjøa Crater

James
Stu
Rubble pile up ahead (is that what you meant Bill?), with another possible BI beyond it..?

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Mmm, this rubble pile is exactly on our way. Guess we'll do a little pit stop there. My 2c.
Ant103
Gjøa Crater (what a strange name… Scandinavian for sure, no?) on Sol 2015 :

Navcam panorama of Sol 2017 :
ilbasso
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 26 2009, 10:48 PM) *
I wonder what they may be looking for.

The wise guy who put electrical tape over the instrument!
nprev
biggrin.gif ...which of course leads to the question I've been afraid to ask, to wit: What the hell IS that thing? Been assuming that it's part of the descent stage release mechanism or some other such system that's long since fulfilled its purpose.
Airbag
It looks to me like the shoulder altitude drive based on:

1) It is covered in tape (so that limits it to Kapton? covered yellow/brown objects)
2) The geometry - I think that is the base of the IDD shoulder support in the background, looking at it from slightly below.

So I think it is the horizontal brown cylinder that is just left of center in:

Airbag
Bill
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 27 2009, 10:20 PM) *
Rubble pile up ahead (is that what you meant Bill?), with another possible BI beyond it..?

Yes this one. Attractive isn't it ? New heaven's gift or classic ejecta from the nearby crater ?
Next stop we will know (if we stop!).
Patteroast
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Sep 28 2009, 12:27 PM) *
Gjøa Crater (what a strange name… Scandinavian for sure, no?)

Gjøa was the name of the ship that Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen used to make the first voyage through the fabled Northwest Passage in the Canadian far north. There's still a town named after it up there where he wintered, 'Gjoa Haven'. A few years later he led the first successful expedition to the South Pole. So in short, it's named after a ship of discovery. smile.gif

Back to our scheduled programming...
nprev
Ah. Thanks, Airbag; that looks like a pretty good candidate!
fredk
QUOTE (Bill @ Sep 28 2009, 09:39 PM) *
Next stop we will know (if we stop!).

It looks like we sailed past the rubble pile on sol 2020:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P1201L0M1.JPG
but the rock still could be a target:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P0753L0M1.JPG
It's certainly reminiscent of BI:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...00P1985R0M1.JPG
but we'll need closer pancam views before we can utter the "M" word again...
Stu
Hmmm... it's a meteormight... laugh.gif
Juramike
That's an interesting big dark area up on top. Mebbe a big 'ol cavity?
Astro0
Sure looks like another Block Island...
Click to view attachment

Wait a minute! That is Block Island...we've been going around in circles!!!! laugh.gif
OR maybe it's following us wacko.gif
fredk
Pancams are down:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P2418R1M1.JPG
I think we're starting to see cavities... Anyone able to spot it on the full-res hirise images? It does look somewhat smaller than BI.
Astro0
Click to view attachment
nprev
The plot thickens, much like fusion crust on the right....?
PDP8E
I processed the 'block'...and it looks like a RHINO

The cavities, etc. scream iron meteorite, but we shall see!

Click to view attachment

cheers
Phil Stooke
Oh no - this better not be another interesting rock, I want to drive!

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.