Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post Block Island Meteor Studies (The Western Route)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
ElkGroveDan
It looks like some more Pancam shadow images from sol 2029 just showed up.
nprev
In the lower right corner image, the dragon has transformed into a bunny!

Hungry4info
O_O That does look like a bunny.
ElkGroveDan
Nothing gets past you guys, except maybe a goose, a dachsund, a goat, a pig, a deer, and an old man.
nprev
I just figured that spotting the bunny right away would do the most possible damage to my carefully crafted macho image...
Hungry4info
QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 11 2009, 12:07 AM) *
...would do the most possible damage to my carefully crafted macho image...

Ahh but it's shadow puppets....
[deep echoing 1950's-sci-fi manly voice]
... In Space!!
Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 11 2009, 05:23 AM) *

Thanks Dan, I just spat my cornflakes out all over my keyboard, laughing so much when I opened that pic. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Sending me off to work at 7am on a should-be-in-bed Sunday morning with a smile! smile.gif
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 10 2009, 11:21 PM) *
... I just spat my cornflakes out ...

I ejected a mouthful of beverage through my nostrils, similarly damaging my keyboard, and probably my brain.

Nice work, Dan. That was one of the funniest things I've seen around here in a while. I was trying to comment on where the new rock might be in the HiRise imagery when I noticed your montage. I was unable to do any serious work after that.

Genius, Dan, genius.
Tman
laugh.gif

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 11 2009, 08:34 AM) *
I was unable to do any serious work after that.

And regarding Endeavour time of arrival, I fear that has some influence too...

Dan, didn't know "she" is that gifted.

Phil Stooke
Very good, Dan!

Phil
Hungry4info
After reading a few of the posts, I was confused by people's reaction to those images. And then it suddenly hit me.
Hold on wait a sec.... what?
I just realised that those images weren't real....
Stu
Rather like this new 3d view...

http://twitpic.com/l490f
Tman
I have to admit after opening the image (browser size) I first clicked/checked JPL's site too and thought (damn, why get the Americans suddenly different/more actual pics here - then, hey wait a minute, why he bother doing a copy of the full JPL page...) rolleyes.gif
Poolio
Run Away!!!

Click to view attachment
Burmese
So when the Rover drivers are plotting drives and pancam shots like that, does the simulation software show where the shadows will fall? They obviously are keen to where shadows fall at other times, such as if/when a motor that needs morning warming might be in a shadow.
Ant103
I don't know, it depends of how many swallows you need to carry the meteorite. Yes, with a wire.

Dan : I laugh at lot of by seeing you're picture. In the first time I say to myself "but what the hell a screen of raw data section of MER website", and after seeing the "shadows", yes, very funny indeed biggrin.gif.
Stu
Couple'a new 3D views...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Stu
Day off, so I thought I'd spend a little while virtually walking back towards Victoria, retracing Oppy's steps, seeing if any other meteorites were passed... think I found a couple of small ones... ?

http://twitpic.com/l8zpq

(apologies if anyone else spotted and reported these at the time, I'm just having a bit of fun here, ok? smile.gif )
ElkGroveDan
Stu you might also browse over the HIRISE images and look for "Block Island" or larger candidates. As I recall there was something large off to the East prior to Purgatory.

I have the day off too. Celebrating a day in honor of a famous Italian. But it will be lots of back breaking work around the house and yard.

Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 12 2009, 02:49 PM) *
Stu you might also browse over the HIRISE images and look for "Block Island" or larger candidates. As I recall there was something large off to the East prior to Purgatory.

I started doing that but started to give myself a migraine. And I don't even have migraines... sad.gif

I'm happy Rockhounding - staring at the ground beneath my boots and scuffling along in the dust - for now. smile.gif
BrianL
Off work as well, today is Thanksgiving in Canada. So what better day than to give thanks to our robotic friends far away (and their handlers) for so many years of wonderful exploration.

Now... drive, drive, drive! (And that goes for you too, Spirit).
Ant103
Stu, you're stunning anaglyphs give me the idea to do a QTVR reprojection of Sol 2031 and 2031 FHC view of Shelter Island smile.gif

So, Sol 2031 in this post :
Ant103
And Sol 2032 in this post :
fredk
Anaglyph of top/backside of SI:
Click to view attachment
I couldn't get the alignment perfect so it may induce some headaches...

So now that we're circumnavigating SI, does that mean back to driving soon, like what happened at BI?

QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 12 2009, 02:36 PM) *
think I found a couple of small ones... ?

Thanks for the reminder, Stu. Those were part of the cobble field around Santorini, and Santorini was confirmed as a meterorite. So probably a good bet those were too, but I don't recall anything official...
mhoward
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Oct 12 2009, 08:43 AM) *
Stu, you're stunning anaglyphs give me the idea to do a QTVR reprojection of Sol 2031 and 2031 FHC view of Shelter Island smile.gif

Nice work, Ant!
Julius
1.It seems that these meteorite rocks have been sitting in Meridiani for billions of years.
2.Sulphate bedrock seems to indicate that this landscape was drenched in ground-surface shallow waters.
3.What effect would water have on the meteorite rocks if any??The unaltered nature of the Iron Nickle rocks would indicate that Meridiani has been dry for most of Martian history??
Stu
Very nice work, Ant! smile.gif

New 3D view of Shelter Island...

Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 11 2009, 06:23 AM) *

You VERY funny guy laugh.gif
HughFromAlice
Really nice work Fred and Stu. Besides the good work, I really enjoy the different interpretations of the same subject - makes me think! The only headache I got from you Fred was that I really should be starting work and I've spent time looking at your anaglyph smile.gif huh.gif !!!!!!
Tman
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 12 2009, 03:36 PM) *
Day off, so I thought I'd spend a little while virtually walking back towards Victoria, retracing Oppy's steps, seeing if any other meteorites were passed... think I found a couple of small ones... ?

http://twitpic.com/l8zpq

The upper left is on the Pancam true color page 1701-50. Both look like meteorites.
Stu
QUOTE (Tman @ Oct 12 2009, 10:05 PM) *
The upper left is on the Pancam true color page 1701-50. Both look like meteorites.

Yeah, I said they might have been spotted before. Just thinking aloud...
Oersted
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 12 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Couple'a new 3D views...

Click to view attachment

Holy maloney, the Pancam is beginning to EAT the meteorite!
Oersted
..and the first glimpse of Martian cities, showing functional but haphazardly placed architecture...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...3QP2560R1M4.JPG
SteveM
No, its a monochrome Martian Mondrian. smile.gif

Steve M
Ant103
Why not? smile.gif

Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 12 2009, 06:42 PM) *
So now that we're circumnavigating SI, does that mean back to driving soon, like what happened at BI?

Tomorrowsol it'll be. And check the heading of the post-drive navcam mosaic.

02034::p1211::03::2::0::0::2::0::4::ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
02034::p1312::07::2::0::0::2::0::4::rear_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15
02034::p1989::02::6::0::0::6::0::12::navcam_3x1_az_294_3_bpp_pri22_17_22

Towards "new rock"?
Stu
"pri"... maybe "Prall's Island"...
djellison
Pri = Priority, i.e. how important the images are and thus what order they'll come down the pipe.
Stu
QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 13 2009, 07:48 AM) *
Pri = Priority, i.e. how important the images are and thus what order they'll come down the pipe.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Lots more islands to choose from. :-)
djellison
Priority is mentioned in one of the old Pancam-updates-with-Jim-Bell I did years ago smile.gif
Stu
Today's postcard from Shelter Island...

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Just a little return in the past to show you the color version of the quite huge panoramic of Nereus Crater at the Sol 2010 :
Tesheiner
Here's the navcam mosaic taken thisol (2034) and pointing towards NW. Opportunity said "good bye" to Shelter Island and drove 60+ on that same NW heading. Does anybody see "new rock" in the vicinity?
Click to view attachment
Stu
Nothing's jumping out at me... I strongly suspect one of the meteorite haters here hacked into Oppy's drive commands and steered her away from anything that looked like it fell from above... biggrin.gif
Nirgal
meteorite haters ...

No "meteorite hater" here ! only a passionate "Endeavor lover" smile.gif

QUOTE ( @ Oct 14 2009, 11:25 AM) *
Does anybody see "new rock" in the vicinity?

No ... but I do imagine lots of really "new rocks" in the vicinity of Endeavor Crater wink.gif

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
"Drive, Drive, Drive ..." .... a wise man once said wink.gif
djellison
This direction is the one I would have driven, meteorite or no meteorite. It's onto the nearest large expanse of exposed rock - best for driving smile.gif
Stu
Some new images just came down... must have been a glitch in the system somewhere... this is the real view ahead...

Click to view attachment

We might be here a while... biggrin.gif
remcook
you got to be kidding! we'll never get anywhere like that! tongue.gif

edit- that would actually be really cool
PDP8E
Stu,
The new images you found have finally got me off the fence and into incorporation. (thanks buddy!)

Click to view attachment

Investors, please contact me offline.
Satisfaction Guaranteed (hey, we have the pictures to prove it!)

Cheers

fredk
laugh.gif Yikes! The biggest of them are a couple metres across! How did we miss them on hirise? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 14 2009, 10:25 AM) *
Does anybody see "new rock" in the vicinity?

Seriously, about "new rock", my best guess is that it's a bit to our south, so off to the left in your new navcam mosaic. It may be quite close. Unfortunately (fortunately?) we may miss it since that's the entire navcam mosaic (3x1).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.