Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mission: Hayabusa 2
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Hayabusa2
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Marcin600
According to statement of Prof. Noriyuki Namiki, head of the Hayabusa2 LIDAR research team, in the article "Sayonara, Ryugu" from November 21, 2019, posted on this site:

"...Hayabusa2 is currently considering a plan to send the sample back to earth and use the remaining fuel to transfer to a new exploration site."

[my unauthorized translation]
tanjent
I can only imagine what that means. If JAXA are considering placing the sample container on a ballistic trajectory from the present location to its eventual landing site in Australia with no further capability to do mid-course correction, that would really require pinpoint control. By contrast I recall that Hayabusa I performed tweaks until quite close to the day of its re-entry. That mission famously snatched success from the jaws of failure; it would be a shame if this one did the opposite.

Anyway, what resources (besides xenon) remain unexpended on the main vehicle, available for use in an extended mission?
nprev
"A new exploration site" would almost certainly mean a different asteroid or an inner-system comet. The return capsule cannot just be jettisoned away from the main spacecraft and make its way back to Earth. I would guess what is meant is that unlike Hayabusa 1, H2 may not reenter along with its capsule and burn up but instead maneuver after capsule ejection to do a close Earth flyby and retarget elsewhere for an extended mission.

They'd have to use the ACS to do that, of course, since the ion engines can't generate nearly enough thrust to accomplish such a maneuver during the short duration of an Earth flyby so possibly they may have used significantly less ACS propellant than they planned.
Paolo
I posted on the subject some time ago

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=239674
Marcin600
Also in this article are some details (September 2017):
"...The asteroid 2001 WR1 is identified as the most promising target candidate...for a flyby on June 27, 2023..."
"...Upon its return, at the end of 2020, the spacecraft will release the capsule for Earth re-entry and drift away from the planet. Based on the current mission profile, the spacecraft is expected to retain 30 kg of xenon propellant for trajectory maneuvers after the capsule is released. This remaining fuel can be used to extend the mission..."
Explorer1
Wow, that was worth the wait! The resemblance of the ejecta curtain to those high speed impact tests at the NASA Ames vertical gun range is both unsurprising and still remarkable.
Marcin600
Amazing video !!!

This may be a very naive question, but can anyone help me: how to save this file (gif)?

The whole presentation (41:52-53:28 - in English) - very informative and full of new results.
Also about: the origin and evolution of Ryugu 3:00-15:53; sample sites on Bennu 16:35-28:32; MASCOT results 29:12-41:45; DART mission 53:57-1:06:26; Psyche 1:06:56-1:16:52; Lucy 1:19:18-1:31:33; Comet Interceptor ESA mission 1:31:47-1:44:00 ...

PS. On December 19, 2019 (Thursday) 15:00-16:00 (JST) a press conference (and here) is planned: "...we intend to provide an overview of operations near the asteroid, status of scientific results and plans for return voyage operations ..."
Hungry4info
Yeah Twitter's download options could be improved. I had to go to a site like Twiter Video Downloader, put the URL to the tweet in, and it would produce an mp4 file I could download.
Marcin600
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Dec 15 2019, 11:46 PM) *
Yeah Twitter's download options could be improved. I had to go to a site like Twiter Video Downloader, put the URL to the tweet in, and it would produce an mp4 file I could download.

It worked, thanks a lot!
Marcin600
By the way, I'm wondering about the copyright (?) for these photos and video. On the slides during this presentation there was a rather unusual (at least for me) icon:

After all, since the presentation was - officially and legally - on youtube, then everyone can take a "photo" (printscreen). And I'm not talking about reproduction and distribution, because that's another matter. But a ban on taking a picture for yourself? After placing the presentation on youtube, this icon is no longer valid, isn't ?
Explorer1
I am not an intellectual property lawyer, but I hazard a guess that fair use applies here, like when users on this forum modify/reproduce non-NASA images. Just don't sell the image (or put the image on a product you are selling)! And give credit to JAXA too, of course!
Marcin600
Pdf from latest press conference - December 19, 2019 (in Japanese)
Marcin600
Some videos and screenshots from the famous presentation of Professor Masahiko Arakawa (Kobe University) during the AGU (American Geophysical Union) AGU100 Fall Meeteng, San Francisco, CA, 9-13 December 2019

Arakawa et al. "Artificial impact crater formed by Hayabusa2 small carry-on impactor on the surface of asteroid Ryugu" - abstract with a full list of co-authors
Marcin600
continued...
Marcin600
Pdf from new press conference (February 20, 2020) - for now only in Japanese.
I am posting a rough translation (from Google Translate) of the most important informations:

Asteroid explorer Hayabusa2 Press briefing, JAXA Hayabusa2 Project
February 20, 2020

Current status: The operation of the ion engine, which started on December 3, 2019, was temporarily stopped on February 5, 2020. A precise orbit estimation was performed afterwards. Based on the results, a minor modification of the ion engine injection was carried out on February 18-20, and the engine was stopped today, February 20 at 8:01 (JST). The first-stage ion engine operation in the return phase was completed.

The speed increase on the return trip is about 100 m/s. Xenon remaining is less than 60%.
As of February 20, 2020: Consumes 27 kg of Xenon propellant and 39 kg remain.

Operation check of all combinations of ion engines A, C, D: from November 20, 2019
Performance check of ion engine B for backup: 2020.2.3-4
Results: Everything is fine. The Earth return operation will be performed with all four ion engines available.

Future plans:
- May 2020 - Phase 2 ion engine operation (planned)
- Press briefing - April 2020
Marcin600
Interesting picture of an model of artificial crater on Ryugu (from Hayabusa2 Talk Live Season 2, February 15, 2020, Taketake Town Hall (Yumetaro Plaza)
It reflects the scale of the SCI crater quite well. (or maybe the model is a bit exaggerated ???)
Marcin600
I haven't seen this montage of MINERVA-II2 pictures yet (from here - eng. and here - jap.)
Marcin600
Recent Hayabusa2 reporter briefing (February 20, 2020; amended March 11) pdf is already in English
Current operation status, ion engine operation results and more...
Quetzalcoatl
Hello !

I thank Marcin600 for his exemplary follow-up of this topic. smile.gif

Report of an article published in Nature, on the official website of Hayabusa2 and which I found very interesting.

Highly porous nature of a primitive asteroid revealed by thermal imaging. Authors:Okada, T., Fukuhara, T., Tanaka, S. et al.

http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/en/topics/20200318_nature/
Paolo
a paper on the cratering experiment has just been published in Science (and it is not behind the paywall at the moment):

An artificial impact on the asteroid 162173 Ryugu formed a crater in the gravity-dominated regime

The Hayabusa2 spacecraft investigated the small asteroid Ryugu, which has a rubble pile structure. We describe an impact experiment on Ryugu using Hayabusa2’s Small Carry-on Impactor (SCI). The impact produced an artificial crater with a diameter >10 m, which has a semicircular shape, an elevated rim and a central pit. Images of the impact and resulting ejecta were recorded by the Deployable CAMera 3 (DCAM3) for >8 min, showing the growth of an ejecta curtain (the outer edge of the ejecta) and deposition of ejecta onto the surface. The ejecta curtain was asymmetric, heterogeneous, and never fully detached from the surface. The crater formed in the gravity-dominated regime i.e., crater growth was limited by gravity, not surface strength. We discuss implications for Ryugu’s surface age.
Marcin600
"I thank Marcin600 for his exemplary follow-up of this topic..."

Thank you Quetzalcoatl! I am just trying to fill the gap in the information stream that reaches us (with some delay and quite dispersed) from the official pages of the Hayabusa2 mission. But only when other, more experienced and talented members of this forum do not have time for this.

"a paper on the cratering experiment has just been published in Science (and it is not behind the paywall at the moment):
An artificial impact on the asteroid 162173 Ryugu formed a crater in the gravity-dominated regime"

Thanks Paolo, we finally have it officially!
Marcin600
from the article cited above by Quetzalcoatl:

„...The first global thermal image... and high resolution images taken close to the surface... showed little temperature difference between the majority of boulders and the surrounding material on the surface of Ryugu, pointing to a similar thermal inertia value... The implication is that Ryugu is covered with low-density, porous boulders that are surrounded by similarly porous fragments greater than 10 cm in size... The reverberations have important implications for how planets are formed.”

Pdf - here
Quetzalcoatl
Bonjour à tous,

Thanks to the creation of an artificial crater during the Hayabusa2 mission, Japanese scientists were able to determine certain phases of Itokawa’s history. The process and parameters of this operation and the study of the overall cratering of this asteroid have indeed allowed to draw a number of conclusions regarding the history of this pile of rocks.

http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/en/topics/20200320_science/

And the Science paper : https://science.sciencemag.org/content/earl...science.aaz1701

Marcin600
Newly released by JAXA:

- compiled animation from the first touchdown, including ONC-W1 pictures (from 0:26)

- composite image taken with the ONC-W1 and W2 during the 1st touchdown

- new paper published in Science - about the surface of Ryugu, with excellent pictures showing stones picked up by the blast of Hayabus2 engines (free, pdf here)
[ look at Supplementary Materials with video and pictures ]
Quetzalcoatl
Bonjour

News of Hayabusa2’s return trip :

http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/en/topics/20200513_2nd/
Roman Tkachenko
HIT THE ASTEROID!
Hayabusa2 touchdown on asteroid Ryugu
Tom Tamlyn
So where's the swear jar these days? laugh.gif
Marcin600
Minerva-II2 orbiting around Ryugu - unpublished (?) pictures/videos from the monitoring of Minerva-II2 movement can be seen in the presentation (in Japanese) by Mr. Yuya Mitsuhashi, a member of the Hayabusa2 project, on June 20, at Hamagin Children's Space Science Museum (1st Hamagin Kids Science Talk Event) -

- posted on Youtube: from 1:33:25 to 1:38:50

These pictures may not be spectacular, but they are scientifically important (study of the gravitational field around Ryugu)
Marcin600
An interesting topic has appeared on the JAXA’s Hayabusa2 website: "Ryugu's porous boulders covered rough surface, everywhere!" , presenting a new paper that has been published in the electronic version of Icarus: Shimaki et al., 2020 „Thermophysical properties of the surface of asteroid 162173 Ryugu: Infrared observations and thermal inertia mapping”

Two quotes:
„...As a result, it is found that the thermal inertia of the surface of Ryugu is ubiquitously small and porous boulders are distributed all over the surface of Ryugu. Additionally, the surface of Ryugu is as rough as the surface of Hawaii's a'a lava (degrees of roughness for Ryugu is several meter squares, whereas that for a'a lava is several tens centimeter squares, respectively)...”

„...The global surface roughness of Ryugu, covered by numerous boulders, was estimated to be 0.41 ± 0.08, corresponding to the RMS surface slope (average slope of a rough surface) of 47 ± 5°. The RMS surface slope of Ryugu is comparable to that of Hawaii's a'a lava. Note that the RMS slope of Ryugu is for several meter squares, but that of a'a lava for several tens centimeter squares, respectively. These similarities are only in their morphologies, so they do not represent similarities in the compositions and formation processes (Ryugu's boulder is expected to be carbonaceous chondrites rich in organics, but a'a lava is a basaltic igneous rock). However, these results suggest that large-scale roughness can be maintained on the surface of Ryugu because of the tiny gravity and no-weathering environment...”
Marcin600
A new topic has appeared on the Hayabusa2 website: "ONC reveals the dark and carbon-rich nature of Ryugu", discussing new article in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics: Tatsumi et al. Global photometric properties of 162173 Ryugu

Some quotes:

„...We found that the geometric albedo is 4.0±0.5 % and standard reflectance is 1.87±0.14 % for Ryugu...
...This suggests that the carbon contents of Ryugu is very high >2 wt. %...

(...Geometric albedo: The ratio brightness of the object observed at phase angle 0˚... Standard reflectance (Reflectance factor at standard geometry): The ratio brightness of the object observed at phase angle 30˚...)

...the reflectance and carbon contents of thermally metamorphosed carbonaceous chondrites (...) which are considered to be similar to Ryugu composition...

...We still don’t know what kind of compounds the carbon is forming. However, so far organic compounds have been widely found in the carbonaceous chondrites. We therefore expect to see large amount of organic compounds from Ryugu’s returned samples...

...Our observational results [of the phase reddening effect] suggest that the presence of fine grains or structure on the Ryugu surface. Surprisingly, the reflectance and degree of phase reddening effect of Ryugu are very similar to those of Bennu... This suggests that the surface properties of the two objects may be very similar. So far, we knew of a few similarities between Ryugu and Bennu, for example density and shape, and now we found a further similarity in reflection properties. On the other hand, there is a difference in hydration degree; Bennu is more hydrated than Ryugu...”
Marcin600
From the Hayabusa2 website:

„We have also released a map [several maps] of the place names on the surface of asteroid Ryugu! Please see the gallery on the Hayabusa2 website: http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/galleries/fig/ "

©JAXA:
Marcin600
From HAYABUSA2@JAXA twitter:

"A joint statement between JAXA and the Australian Space Agency (ASA) was announced today (7/14).
The Hayabusa2 re-entry capsule will return to Earth and land in South Australia on December 6, 2020 (Japan/Australia time).
This is in 145 days: R-145!"
Marcin600
A talk event took place on July 11 at “Hamagin Children's Space Science Museum”- Hayabusa2 project member Futo Terui, in charge of navigation guidance and control system, talked, among others, about pinpoint touchdown. JAXA posted it on YouTube (in Japanese)

There are some interesting videos, e.g. from dropping the target marker (2018/10/25 TD1-R3 TM) - I think they were not published before (?)

Cut out movie fragment (©JAXA):
Paolo
just published and in free access:

Global photometric properties of (162173) Ryugu

Context. The Hayabusa2 spacecraft launched by Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency has been conducting observations of the asteroid (162173) Ryugu since June 2018. The Telescopic Optical Navigation Camera (ONC-T) onboard Hayabusa2 has obtained thousands of images under a variety of illumination and viewing conditions.

Aims. Our objective is to examine and validate the camera calibration, derive a photometric correction for creating global albedo maps, and to interpret the photometric modeling results to characterize the surface of Ryugu.

Methods. We observed (162173) Ryugu with the Gemini-South telescope, and combined these measurements with other published ground-based observations of the asteroid. The ground-based observations were compared with the data obtained by ONC-T in order to validate the radiometric calibration mutually. We used a combination of the Hapke disk-integrated and disk-resolved model equations to simultaneously analyze the combined ground- and spacecraft-based data.

Results. The average spectrum of Ryugu was classified as Cb-type following the SMASSII taxonomy and C/F-type following the Tholen taxonomy based on spacecraft observations. We derived Hapke model parameters for all seven color filters, which allowed us to photometrically correct images to within an error of <10% for ~80% of the image pixels used in the modeling effort. Using this model, we derived a geometric albedo of 4.0 ± 0.5% (v band) for Ryugu. The average reflectance factor at the standard illumination condition was 1.87 ± 0.14% in the v band. Moreover we measured a phase reddening of (2.0 ± 0.7) × 10−3 μm−1 deg−1 for Ryugu, similar to that observed for the asteroid (101955) Bennu.

Conclusions. The global color map showed that the general trend was for darker regions to also be redder regions, however there were some distinct exceptions to this trend. For example, Otohime Saxum was bright and red while Kibidango crater was dark and blue. The darkness and flatness of Ryugu’s reflectance might be caused by a high abundance of organic materials.
abalone
The Hayabusa 2 spacecraft will release a sample return canister as it approaches Earth, then divert itself away from the planet and continue into space.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/07/16/aster...th-in-december/
Paolo
it appears that Hayabusa secondary mission will finally be a long-term one with arrival at its new target in the late 2020s or early 30s
https://twitter.com/haya2e_jaxa/status/1285864588622192640
Explorer1
Looks like an interesting decision to make: a trajectory with a longer travel time to the rendezvous but another asteroid flyby in the meantime, or a shorter flight time but including a Venus flyby.
Either way, these rocks are absolutely tiny (Half the size of the ISS), definitely the smallest objects ever visited by a spacecraft (including the Didymos moon). Exciting!
Holder of the Two Leashes
Yes, half the size of the ISS but at least several hundred times the mass. And in both cases some of the most accessible off world mass we currently know of, more so than anything on the moon.

Aside from that, some speculation on the end of mission. Will Hayabusa 2 end its days by landing on its final asteroid? If it does, then a polar landing is mandated, because anywhere else and the spacecraft will simply be flung off by rotational force. Given the relative size of the spacecraft to whichever asteroid, it will become a rather significant new surface feature. Hayabusa Mons? Hayabusa Saxum? wink.gif
Explorer1
I also wonder how long Hayabusa2 would need to "station-keep" on one side of the asteroid to measure the gravity tractor concept. We would need to know the mass first to do a calculation, plus knowing how much fuel is left by the time of the rendezouvs... there might be a good planetary defense method test opportunity here.
Paolo
more information on the extended mission is available in the latest English press release
http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/enjoy/materia...2_ver14_en2.pdf
stevesliva
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 22 2020, 11:43 AM) *
Looks like an interesting decision to make: a trajectory with a longer travel time to the rendezvous but another asteroid flyby in the meantime, or a shorter flight time but including a Venus flyby.
Either way, these rocks are absolutely tiny (Half the size of the ISS), definitely the smallest objects ever visited by a spacecraft (including the Didymos moon). Exciting!

Sample return same for either -- Dec 2020. The options are EVEEA: Venus (2024) Asteroid (2029) --or-- EAEEA: Asteroid (2026) Earth (2028) Asteroid (2031)

So not all the earth swingbys are mentioned in either proposal.
Marcin600
During July 25 talk event “From the scene of Hayabusa 2" (Hamagin Space Science Center) Mr. Takahisa Saeki, project engineer of Hayabusa 2, was talking about collision device (SCI) and artificial crater.

The event is recordet on YouTube (in Japanese) - here

Cool video from SCI ground tests (fragment of the presentation: 30:49-31:07):
© JAXA
Hungry4info
I don't mean to be that guy but... are you sure this is a real video?
Marcin600
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Aug 19 2020, 04:52 AM) *
I don't mean to be that guy but... are you sure this is a real video?

This is fragment of the official JAXA's presentation (see link above)... It's in slow motion and it's very cool, but so far I didn't suspect that there might be something wrong with it. And now I have some doubts. (but I'm not a video specialist)
Why do you think it's not real? Do you think it can be some kind of computer animation or modification?

PS. To me, it looks like it was shot with a camera placed at ground level, behind the glass. The whole thing is magnified, so the soil fragments look much larger (and heavier) than they really are...
Xerxes
I don't see anything in this video that would raise any kind of doubts. They show the entire setup of the experiment, and it looks just like other high-velocity impact experiments I've seen. The Planetary Society covered the test here: Planetary Society on SCI and another angle on the experiment is here: SCI impact test
Marcin600
I think this video is cool not because it's spectacular, but because it corresponds quite well to the actual SCI impact on Ryugu (I mean the development of the debris curtain).
Of course, apart from the dust floating in the air, and the surrounding landscape...
Explorer1
According to this recently released CGI animation of the sample return ( http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/galleries/oth...Mission_en.html ), the spacecraft will take photo of the re-entry of its capsule!
Are there any scientific benefits to attempting to snap the capsule in flight, apart from practicing spacecraft attitude/camera settings?

Obviously Hayabusa 1 was unable to do the same; so unless anyone knows better, I think this would be a first in (robotic) space history (excluding the various ISS-taken photos of returning vehicles re-entering after a stay at the station)? If nothing else, I really need to update my avatar....
Paolo
the only similar experiment I that can think of is Pioneer Venus Orbiter trying to image Magellan firing its retrorocket to enter orbit in August 1990. The plume was too faint to be detected.
JRehling
The ascent of Apollo 17 from the Moon's surface was captured on color TV; I'm not sure if that counts as similar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.