Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape Verde
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
RedSky
What's that in your "Swear Jar", Lyford? Blueberries? laugh.gif
babboxy
sorry I'm not realy up to date...what are we waiting for here tonight? wink.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 5 2006, 08:14 PM) *
Am I imagining things or is the Beacon 'Cabo' the only one that shows uplift rather than sag? Does this suggest something fascinating about the underlying structure, or is it just that a fragment of an upper 'evaporite' unit survives atop Beacon, and is lost everywhere else? unsure.gif

Two thoughts: 1. Do we have uplift or was there a hill here before the Victoria impact?
2. If there is uplift only here could it be evidence of an oblique impact? I've been wondering why the dunefield, presumably in the topographic low, is displaced northwards from the crater centre, towards the highest part of the rim.
ngunn
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 5 2006, 09:00 PM) *
Well done diane, nice one! smile.gif Welcome to the image processing club (from a VERY junior member!!)
Click to view attachment

Brilliant again Stu, and diane and everyone. Another grand night out on Mars.

Just a thought - perhaps we should hold a press conference express express . . .
diane
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 5 2006, 05:14 PM) *
Do we have uplift or was there a hill here before the Victoria impact?

I agree that there may have been a hill before Victoria; the Beacon appears to be cut from a hill if you look at what's behind Beacon up on the annulus.

However, there's still a reason for the uplift, and the uplift doesn't appear to have been even because of the angle of the layers in Beacon's face. So we still have a question, even though Victoria's impact may have destroyed the answer.
Shaka
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 5 2006, 11:14 AM) *
Two thoughts: 1.

As an adherent to the "Ancient Victoria" school of thought, I wouldn't hold to the "hill" thought. This area, to my eye, is the quintessence of "flat". The only hills I could imagine on this plain would be parts of the rims of craters younger than Vicky. The oblique impact idea did cross my mind however. Some tough, bulky remnant of the original rim could be holding up "Cabo Beacono" - that is, retarding or reversing its collapse.
I think I wanna closer look at it - #$@& clink - hurry up pancams cool.gif !
Nirgal
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 5 2006, 08:12 PM) *

Very good colorization again, Stu !
smile.gif
hendric
After looking at these pictures and the torrent of MRO photos (hey, there's a good idea for the future MRO firehose...a BitTorrent!) all I can say is.....

"You're going to need a bigger jar"

My apologies to Martin Brody...
nprev
I already gave up...I'm setting up a direct deposit from my paycheck to the jar... sad.gif

Well, it's not like I was the cleanest-mouthed guy in the Solar System in the first place... smile.gif
Pando
Hey fellas. We should make a swear-fund. With interest it could finance the next Mars mission... laugh.gif
nprev
Not a bad idea! smile.gif

Speaking of next missions...imagine MRO's replacement. Will we have multispectral 1 cm resolution of the entire planet? blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Ant103
Hi,

Here is the Sol 959 Navcam view (always build with MMB rolleyes.gif ... ) :
Click to view attachment
Gray
Nice job, Ant. Those dunes in the bottom fascinate me. I imagine them as water waves that were frozen in an instant. I picture a series of water waves bouncing off the sides of a pool and then suddenly solidified. smile.gif

I hope we get to see the south face of The Beacon in better light.
Tman
For some sunlight on the south face of The Beacon in the near future it's the wrong season (I guess). But they could take a picture with more exposure, couldn't they?
Gray
Of course you're right about the seasonal problem (Doh! gray hits forhead with heel of hand). It just seemed to me that in adjusting the brightness on these images of the Beacon, a lot of the contrast was lost. Cross-beds often show up as some subtle variations in contrast when low angle light is striking the outcrop.
Bill Harris
>sunlight on the south face of The Beacon in the near future it's the wrong season...

It is. But OTOH good photographic technique will mean that the outcrops should be photographed under different lighting conditions to optimize the views. Low angle lighting for fine textural details, moderate angle lighting for overall details and soft, indirect lighting for albedo or color details. Oppy needs to take several images of each area to help chase away photogeists...

--Bill
diane
Gray, I'll agree that adjusting the photo after exposure is less than ideal, but the real information loss is in the original exposure. It would be nice if Oppy could do what's called "spot metering" to expose for a specific area of its image. Either that or deliberate overexposure to get more shadow detail is what's needed. I don't know that Oppy is capable of either.

There are better alternatives than adjusting brightness or contrast, though. The better tools in Photoshop are "levels" and "curves" adjustments. They're available under the Image menu as adjustments, but the better alternative is learning to create adjustment layers (in the layers palette) so that the adjustments don't alter the image, and you can go back and change the adjustments (or hide them or delete them).
centsworth_II
QUOTE (diane @ Oct 6 2006, 10:22 AM) *
It would be nice if Oppy could do what's called "spot metering" to expose for a specific area of its image.

It seems that Opportunity is close enough to the beacon to take pancams where the whole field of view is the cliff. There should be no "spot metering" needed in that case.
Gray
Thanks Diane. I have only dabbled in image analysis. I'm certainly not at the level of most of the folks on this forum.
jvandriel
The view of Victoria on Sol 959.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
Toma B
WOW!!!what an amazing day this is!!! biggrin.gif

Is there anywhere ".jpg" version of that Cape Verde & Cape Frio images with little rover standing on them?
They are shown on latest update but I cannot find that images anywhere...

Thank you NASA/JPL/MER Team/UMSF...everybody!!!! biggrin.gif
David
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Oct 6 2006, 05:53 PM) *
The view of Victoria on Sol 959.

Seeing these pictures just makes me feel like a little kid again; I want to go running or tumbling down into the crater, kick up the sand, race across to the other side and climb up the rocks, then go digging around and pretend that I'm on Mars -- oh, wait, this is Mars! It's a grand feeling, and the only drawback is not actually being there, but as I share this problem with everybody else on Earth I may -- in time -- learn to live with it. smile.gif
MahFL
Did anyone else notice the tracks left by a few boulders as they rolled down into Victoria ? Must have been "recent" events.
lyford
B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Oct 6 2006, 11:13 AM) *

Is there anywhere ".jpg" version of that Cape Verde & Cape Frio images with little rover standing on them
[/quote]
I think what you want is here. smile.gif
Indian3000
and the small detail in more the traces of wheel behind the rover on cape verde superimposed image biggrin.gif
edstrick
...It would be nice if Oppy could do what's called "spot metering" to expose for a specific area of its image. ...

We've seen some of that at Endurance when they took longish exposures with extra bright sky above the crater rim (looking more or less up-sun), and the overexposed image bleeds down into the frame below the saturated area, producing a ragged-edged area of total whiteout and normal picture one pixel below the edge.
jvandriel
Opportunity arriving at Victoria crater.

A panoramic view taken on Sol 952 and Sol 953

with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
fredk
Seriously overexposed front hazcams tosol. I've never seen this before in hazcams. Also a very slight movement/rotation.
Oersted
Maybe they were interested in what's in the shadow of the rover, that area is correctly exposed.
dot.dk
An interesting thing seen in tosols images.

The latest hazcams shows the IDD deployed and doing work with RAT, MI etc.

But Oppy also bumped a few centimeters before starting the work!

Compare:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...PCP1201L0M1.JPG
And
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...POP1110L0M1.JPG

Testing Go and Touch? smile.gif
Bill Harris
Indeed interesting. And Pancams: a full-filter set of Cabo Frio (she's been working on stratigraphy, good girl) and an L257 of the pre-RAT brush. No time to post right now.

--Bill
fredk
QUOTE (Oersted @ Oct 7 2006, 08:22 PM) *
Maybe they were interested in what's in the shadow of the rover, that area is correctly exposed.

Or perhaps they got a direct reflection of sunlight off some part of the IDD?
hortonheardawho
sol 959 L0 1x9 ( 330 deg) of Victoria from Cape Verde:

I exposed for shadow details.

Er, where are all the panorama thaumaturges?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Oct 8 2006, 06:48 AM) *
But Oppy also bumped a few centimeters before starting the work!

Compare:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...PCP1201L0M1.JPG
And
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...POP1110L0M1.JPG

Testing Go and Touch? smile.gif

Nope. That 959 hazcam is the *penultimate* one not the end of drive one. There was no bump yestersol.

James
Indian3000
SOL 959

Left pan

Click to view attachment
Indian3000
vertical projection 1cm/pixel

Click to view attachment

pseudo-polar

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
thaumaturges? на желтом форуме

--Bill
Reckless
Our friends in the other house biggrin.gif
Roy F
jvandriel
Here is my version of the Sol 959 complete 360 degree pan.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
kenny
СПАСЙбО, ТОВАРЙЩ

КЗННЙ
mhoward
I see this one has already been done. Never the less, here's a 360x90 equirectangular projection of the Sol 959 Navcam pan facing East, followed by the full 360x180 version facing North, suitable for viewing in FSPViewer or another spherical panorama viewer.

fredk
Thanks for the pans, everyone! Indian3000, that pseudo-polar image really is stunning - it clearly shows our location near the tip of Verde, especially if you view it at a reduced scale.
dvandorn
I'm a little concerned about these small movements we're seeing in the images between sols, especially since I figured they had already reached their "perch" position.

How certain are we that the ground underneath us hasn't shifted under Oppy's weight?

-the other Doug
mhoward
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 8 2006, 07:51 PM) *
I'm a little concerned about these small movements we're seeing in the images between sols, especially since I figured they had already reached their "perch" position.

Where are we seeing such movement? As long as there's no movement when the rover motion counter stays the same, I think we're fine. smile.gif I haven't noticed anything unexpected.
Sunspot
Some unusual features in the latest MI pictures, at the top of the image:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...POP2936M2M1.JPG
dilo
This is my Polar view based on Michael's superb equirectangular projection of the Sol 959 (only changed orientation and increased far rim contrast):
dvandorn
QUOTE (mhoward @ Oct 8 2006, 03:03 PM) *
Where are we seeing such movement? As long as there's no movement when the rover motion counter stays the same, I think we're fine. smile.gif I haven't noticed anything unexpected.

Over the past two days, I've been reading posts here saying things like "Well, look, it moved a little bit since the the last image taken, so I'm having a hard time stitching it" and things like that. I could be wrong (I often am... biggrin.gif ...), but it seemed to me that this had been said after we had reached what was supposed to be her parking spot for the solar conjunction and all that photo work she'll do while we're out of touch.

If all that was being referenced was planned small, adjustment moves out to the perch position, that's great. I just hadn't heard much said about such fine-adjustment positioning, and so I wondered about the changes of position that had been discussed.

-the other Doug
Nix
That latest pan by Michael is SUPERB indeed, and your polar version too Marco rolleyes.gif

Nico
dilo
Thanks, Nico...
I think this location is really ideal for taking the first complete VC super-pano, à la Low Ridge Haven. cool.gif
Is worth to stay here, eventually until the end of conjunction...
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Oct 8 2006, 05:13 PM) *
Some unusual features in the latest MI pictures, at the top of the image:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...POP2936M2M1.JPG

I haven't seen one like that. It looks like to the brain surface with lots of sinues lines.

Rodolfo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.