Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape Verde
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ustrax
Isn't this a bit too risky?!? blink.gif
djellison
They've done worse....

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...9P1214L0M1.HTML

Doug
Nix
One of my favorite shots in the entire mission so far smile.gif Indeed that was worse laugh.gif

Nico
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 17 2006, 06:19 PM) *
Beautiful view of Cape Verde and Duck Bay in the background from sol 995 location on CSM:
attachmentid=8372

This view of Cape Verde reminds me of the first view we had of the inside of Beagle : the evaporite look like a patchwork fitting the shape of the Cape.
Phil Stooke
The latest navcam from sol 1000 or 1001 looking back at the north side of Cape Verde doesn't show any sign of that prominent layer we saw on the south side, the side facing Duck Bay. And so far I can't see that layer anywhere else where we have good images. If that is a unique outcrop it will be a strong incentive to enter Duck Bay and try to get a look at it.

Phil
Tesheiner
Mmm, I hope we are speaking of the same layers... I think it's there (see layer A on the picture below). It's not so visible because the north side is facing the sun and there are far less shadows to enhance the layering.

And looking to the same image I was wondering if the "layer" named B (and "B?" at Duck Bay) on the picture could be the same bright white layer seen on the far rim and discussed some time ago? huh.gif

Click to view attachment
Source: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...ZFP1997L0M1.JPG
Phil Stooke
I think you're right about the bright layer.

The thin and very distinct layer seen on the other side of Cape Verde is underneath your layer A - if you view both images side by side it looks liike that, anyway. I think the debris in this little bay north of the Cape covers up the lower layer in your view.

Phil
CosmicRocker
I'm not sure about the layers, but that view back toward the first cabos was really nice. This anaglyph suffers from some imperfections, but some people might like to see an even imperfect anaglyph from sol 1002.
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
The east side of Cape Verde from the Sol 1006 (11am version) pancams - L2

What a fantastic view!

I'll do the anaglyph when I get a chance - that should be awsome!

James
Phil Stooke
Tesheiner said the layering on the other side extended around to this side, and I thought it was not exposed here, but clearly he was right. A great mosaic, James.

Phil
mhoward
Here's a perspective projection version, just to really give you a sense of vertigo... Remember Opportunity was poised more or less on the end of that cliff.

mhoward
Here's an anaglyph version. Ha ha ... beat you for once James wink.gif

kungpostyle
Wow, I see that new raw images are down and by the time I get here they are assembled and anaglyphed!

I love this site.
jamescanvin
No prize for second place, but here is my version for what it's worth. smile.gif

James
mhoward
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 23 2006, 03:07 AM) *
No prize for second place, but here is my version for what it's worth. smile.gif

Ah, but you get bonus points for technical sophistication. Well played, sir. smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
Thanks Mike and James. I've been just sitting here panning back and forth on the larger images. Wow. It's like I'm sitting there dangling my feet over the edge after a long hike. So far these have been my favorite analglyphs in a long time.
Stu
Just a quickie...

Click to view attachment
mhoward
Nice, Stu! You have really come a long way with this image editing in a short time.
SigurRosFan
James, I use your great mosaic for a new sfx work.

How about the size of the Opportunity?
mhoward
Here's the later view, around 2:30 local Martian time.

Compare to the view at 10 o'clock

70x60 degree perspective view:
jamescanvin
Sol 1006 (am version) image of Cape Verde in L257 colour.

James
jamescanvin
And the afternoon version. smile.gif

James
Ant103
Wow James, the view is very impressive, particulary for the late afternoon shots. It look great! ohmy.gif
I will make my owns pan of Sol 1006 wink.gif
Ant103
Okay, no reply during this afternoon biggrin.gif

So, I've just finish the two view of the Sol 1006 :
Midsol :

End of the afternoon :

And an animation of the transition between this two instant :
Click to view attachment
sranderson
Looking at the Cape Verde pan it is evident that there is a line below which the strata are orderly and horizontal. Above that line, all the way to the top, the blocks are disordered and randomly oriented. A statistical analysis of orientation could be done, but it seems unnecessary. It is pretty darn clear that the line is the original surface prior to the impact, and that the rock and regolith above the line are debris from the impact. There is no obvious sign of very much deposition after the impact. If the crater were to have been filled by aeolian deposits and re-excavated, all obvious evidence is gone. Occam says it never happened.

Scott
stewjack
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 29 2006, 01:01 PM) *

That looks great but don't you think it could confuse people who are not aware of the fact that the sun was not traveling through an arc in the sky between the transitions. I suspect that true solar movement across the sky would create a slightly different 3d effect.

Of course it might be a very subtle difference. Does anyone agree with my reasoning?

Jack
dilo
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 29 2006, 07:01 PM) *
So, I've just finish the two view of the Sol 1006 :

Vraiment magnifique, Ant103!
Even if Jack observation is correct (shadows should move in a true time-lapse animation), the result still stunning... I feel on Mars, now!
Thanks biggrin.gif
Nirgal
Wow ! Phaaaantastic afternoon view, James and Ant !!

biggrin.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (sranderson @ Nov 29 2006, 02:22 PM) *
Looking at the Cape Verde pan it is evident that there is a line below which the strata are orderly and horizontal. Above that line, all the way to the top, the blocks are disordered and randomly oriented. A statistical analysis of orientation could be done, but it seems unnecessary. It is pretty darn clear that the line is the original surface prior to the impact, and that the rock and regolith above the line are debris from the impact. There is no obvious sign of very much deposition after the impact. If the crater were to have been filled by aeolian deposits and re-excavated, all obvious evidence is gone. Occam says it never happened.

Scott

I was just thinking exactly the same thing, Scott. I agree with you -- and with Occam.

-the other Doug
Shaka
Hoy! Hoy! Hoy! Merry Christmas! cool.gif
dilo
Hey, I'm going to jump!
Click to view attachment
I hope the water is deep enough... tongue.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 30 2006, 03:33 AM) *
Scott. I agree with you -- and with Occam.

Me too, for what it's worth (very little as I'm not a geologist).
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (sranderson @ Nov 29 2006, 01:22 PM) *

Scott
I guess I'd have to agree with you guys. Although this crater is enigmatic in a number of ways, I haven't seen any clear signs of an earlier fill, either. It might have been completely removed, but yes, it is beginning to push Occam's envelope... I am trying to assume a more regional perspective, but it is beginning to get difficult these days.
jamescanvin
I wasn't going to post this as I was hoping for more of the Cape Verde pan tosol, but that hasn't happened. So here is the latest.

James
Nix
Gorgeous pan James, very good work ohmy.gif

Nico
jamescanvin
Thanks Nico.

It's just about all down now (a couple of data dropouts, but not too noticeable)

Polar

Enjoy. smile.gif

James
Nix
whoa..terrific!

I noticed a little typo on your site; polar projection half resolution -> '256 Mb'...

Nico
jamescanvin
Cheers Nico. Fixed.
Nirgal
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 4 2006, 01:50 AM) *
Enjoy. smile.gif

James

I do :-)
Great work !
Tesheiner
Me too! cool.gif

Congrats, James.
Stu
Gorgeous pics as always James! smile.gif
tedstryk
Great Work!!!
biggrin.gif
Ant103
Incredible! The crater is so ... big! blink.gif I can't imagine this in reality. But, compared to other formation Victoria is like a dwarf... (I don't want to imagine a crater of 2km sized or more blink.gif ).

So, very great work James biggrin.gif
EricD
Just a quick note from someone who has been lurking here since the mer.rlproject days.

Every year I put together a few space exploration themed wall calendars to give to friends and family as holiday gifts. One of this year's efforts was my own monochrome assembly of the Sol 1006 AM/PM Cape Verde pans. The calendar is designed to be printed as a 52x35 inch poster (at 200 pix/inch) and is available from zazzle.com.

If you would like to order a copy from zazzle.com, please send me a message and I'll gladly donate my 10% commission to the unmannedspaceflight.com paypal link.

Feel free to visit my space calendars web page and download the full resolution jpeg (10400x7000 blink.gif ) of the calendar. Print your own copy on inkjet, laserjet or dot matrix. Enjoy!

Eric
AlexBlackwell
Two releases today on NASA Planetary Photojournal site:

PIA09104: Panorama from 'Cape Verde'

PIA09103: Panorama from 'Cape Verde' (False Color)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.