Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duck Bay
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
dilo
Doug, if you refers to the foreground depression, it seems a hole probably connected to VC but separated from it by a dune (aeolian deposition?). If you refers to the huge, background depression, this IS Victoria Crater SW portion! (remember we see only a portion of the real crater rim from here).
DEChengst
QUOTE (mhoward @ Sep 30 2006, 11:04 PM) *
I think the area *under* the impressively-layered vertical cliff may have exposed rock that is even deeper in the stack, and at least one part looks pretty accessible...

I see a pretty big shadow over there. I wonder how it moves during a sol and if it won't cover the spot you propose. Having Oppy park her solar cells in the shade would be a bad thing to do.
dvandorn
Um, I refer to the foreground depression, Dilo. I knew the bigger hole was Victoria... biggrin.gif

Boy, that foreground depression, I guess it's Duck Crater, really looks like a drainage feature to me...

-the other Doug
Nix
And another Cabas Verdes tongue.gif>Ustrax;

Nico
Betelgeuze
My try tongue.gif

jamescanvin
Looks like I'm a bit late, so many great efforts already!

James
Phil Stooke
And now for something completely indifferent:

Cape Verde layers enhanced. This is a composite of the two best images... of course the PDS versions will be much better when we get them later... This is one sweet bit of stratigraphy. I think this is out of reach, but there might be partial access further up the sloping ramp.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
As for that picture of Jack Schmitt, I think he might be relieving himself again...

Phil
Reckless
All this stratigraphy.. I'll be in my bunk. tongue.gif
Roy F
WindyT
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 30 2006, 11:51 PM) *
And now for something completely indifferent:

Cape Verde layers enhanced. This is a composite of the two best images... of course the PDS versions will be much better when we get them later... This is one sweet bit of stratigraphy. I think this is out of reach, but there might be partial access further up the sloping ramp.

Phil

Click to view attachment
I was afraid we wouldn't have a strong marker but now... Oh, my! Thanks for the enhancement!

I'm interested how many of the capes go deep enough to see this contact and this verrrrrry interesting piece of sedimentary rock.
SFJCody
Mars needs cliffbots!

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/robotics/cliffbot3-browse.jpg
mhoward
If anyone's interested, here are some perspective views of Victoria rendered in approximately 1.33:1 aspect ratio (typical computer desktop size).
nprev
Myran, I'll have to write you a check for your swearbox...<poof>. (Okay, exactly WHAT sound does a check make falling into a swearbox?! I'm completely open to suggestions, 'cause I'm gonna be swearing a lot over the next few months...)

Seriously, Phil, James, Betelguze, and Nix...these images are incredible and invaluable. I cannot believe the amount of detail already visible at Cabas Verdes, and none of this was apparent from the raw imagery. Thanks for the illumination; Victoria indeed has a lot to tell us. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Speaking of which..I just took a better look at Phil's excellent enhancement. Weird things going on here; that thick layer of relatively undifferentiated materal on top of those beautiful layered strata looks almost basaltic to me, and right in the middle of the image there's a block of rock sitting apart from the cliff that looks like it has the grandaddy of all blueberries on the top of its "head"...are there conglomerates at the interface between these two dramatically different layers? Also, if that big round thing isn't a super-blueberry but instead a garden-variety rock (not a concretion), did it get round via exposure to running water for a long, long time? Interesting...

I suggest that we name the big, blocky rock at the center of the image with the round rock on its forehead "Louie" because it reminds me of one of the little robots in the film Silent Running...the one that got blasted off during Valley Forge's passage through Saturn's rings. Louie made it after all, and crashed @ Victoria! laugh.gif
CosmicRocker
Hehe. smile.gif While Roy hits the bunk, I find myself staying up late again trying to make some sense of this amazing but complex place. Can't say I blame him, though. I'm suffering from serious information overload, and I am off to the bunk when I finish this.

Many thanks to several of you who have enhanced the visibility of the strata in that shadowed and possibly crossbedded layer on Cabo Verde. It is remarkable in a number of ways, but hortonheardawho's addition of scale really made me sit up and realize that we might not have previously seen anything like this before. WindyT may be on to something. If we can find this layer elsewhere, it just might be a marker.

It is quite distinctive, but I'd feel more confident if I could identify it at nearby Cabo Frio. For some reason one side of the slope on these capes seem smoother than the other side, which appears more blocky. The layer might be there, but I can't yet convince myself. The stratigraphy at this crater is going to take some roadwork to figure out, I'm afraid.

A free Mars bar goes to the first person to identify festoon lamination. biggrin.gif
Shaka
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 30 2006, 01:51 PM) *
Cape Verde layers enhanced.
Phil

Yes, thanky very much. I was considering a single 'contingency sample', but now I fancy RATholes more or less like this, please: Click to view attachment

With that eye-popping stratified marker we should be able to spot any deeper units from up on the rim. Deeper is better, guys! Do your work. rolleyes.gif
Bill Harris
'Tis indeed wonderful, no? I've been drooling over these initial outcrop images and realize that we haven't even walked up to the outcrop yet, nor have we gotten out the 'handlens and scratchplate' and that this is the first cape/bay of perhaps two dozen here.

A good start of the first day after graduation. Graduation from work, that is. I done went and retired on Friday... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--Bill
jamescanvin
This isn't as good a Phil's as I've just upped the brightness/contrast in the shadowed regions and haven't reprocessed from scratch, but it is in colour. smile.gif

James
dilo
Cannot avoid to make a ultrasharp version of Cabo Verde stratigraphy (now without Schmitt biggrin.gif ):
Click to view attachment
Hey, I see a cave on the right, half height on the vertical wall! ohmy.gif
David
That's wonderful, dilo. It really makes me feel like I'm there -- and that without any lens flare! laugh.gif

I've done a little bit of (equipment-free) rock-climbing from time to time -- and certain rocks just catch one's eye and beg to be climbed. That is one of them. I can see in my mind's eye just where I'd put my hands and feet to make it to the top, and I feel quite uncomfortable knowing that I can't!
dilo
Thanks, David. Me too climbed a little in the past.... Do you see the small cave on the wall profile?
Oersted
QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 30 2006, 11:13 PM) *
Astonishing image...Though...
Does anyone get the name of that EXTRAORDINARY country correctly?! mad.gif
Cabo Verde is the name of the place...Cabo Verdehttp://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_Verde! rolleyes.gif

Hehe, I've seen quite a few alternative spellings of Jammerbugt as well... - When it is your own language it tends to grate a bit... rolleyes.gif
Nix
Another sharpened-up view (Unsharp Mask)

Nico
Stu
QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 1 2006, 07:08 AM) *
Cannot avoid to make a ultrasharp version of Cabo Verde stratigraphy

Right, that's it, I give up, I'm never trying another colourisation again! wink.gif I thought I was getting the hang of it and producing good work but I feel like a 1st year art student that just walked into the Cisteen Chapel and looked up... ohmy.gif ... that is a sensational image dilo, it looks more like a painting from the Wild West frontier days...

Just unbelievable the images you guys are producing. Can't wait to see all your panoramas from the first real imaging campaign in a few days' time.

(By the way, thanks to everyone who gave me permission to use their images in my lecture last Friday night, the audience were very, very impressed, as was I, seeing them projected on a big screen. Oh, and my ghastly, heretic "lens flare" image was commented on very favourably too... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif )
Indian3000
My version cape verde smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Reckless
This is a site calling out for that Chemcam Laser spectrometer on MSL we could just stand off of each cape in turn and zap the layers/locations of our choice.
Or would that be too easy? I suspect there will always be tricky spots just out of reach or behind something that wll frustrate us.

Sojourner - could be bigger faster
MER - could be faster, cleverer
MSL - could Fly, hover, tunnel
It's great to be a spoiled brat tongue.gif

Roy F
Stu
Is this scale about right?

Click to view attachment
ngunn
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 1 2006, 06:39 AM) *
If we can find this layer elsewhere, it just might be a marker.

It is quite distinctive, but I'd feel more confident if I could identify it at nearby Cabo Frio.

Just a naive suggestion . . Cape Verde has slumped by perhaps 10-20 metres due to undermining at some level substantially deeper than the visible outcrops whereas Cabo Frio has not, so this layer would be that much higher at Cabo Frio and hence buried by the sand and debris slope on top of the cliff.

By the way HUGE thanks for all the pictures everyone. Are we still missing one frame from the full panorama?
remcook
stu- don't know about the scale but sure looks very cool!
nice job everyone. I guess we'll be hving an interesting time now
nprev
Nico...wow. blink.gif My jaw is sore now after it hit the floor from your image; thank you!!!
diane
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 1 2006, 04:52 AM) *
Oh, and my ghastly, heretic "lens flare" image was commented on very favourably too... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif )

I'm sure it was! Your artistic license just got a lifetime renewal!
Stu
QUOTE (diane @ Oct 1 2006, 01:18 PM) *
I'm sure it was! Your artistic license just got a lifetime renewal!

Oh yes... can't wait to blatantly overuse it on the next set of pancams! wink.gif

You here waiting for those again too, diane? I'm all out of coffee, sorry...
jabe
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 1 2006, 09:36 AM) *
Is this scale about right?

I think we need a thread for pictures showing measurements of the outcrops. Everything is SOOO much larger than what we have seen before I keep thinking The arm can reach the top no problems then reality sinks in and swear jar fills up smile.gif
great work on the pictures guys..I've given up trying and let you guys do it all.
cheers
jb
centsworth_II
All these great views of Cabo Verde's layers! I'll be disappointed if, barring any obvious safety concern (that I don't see right now), Opportunity doesn't go down and check them out before commencing a circumnavigation. Consider it a contingency sample of the stratigraphy.
Stu
Some new Navcams up... nothing startling yet... come on, Pancams please... smile.gif
jabe
looks like just a spin around its current spot from hazcams
Indian3000
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...IIP0655L0M1.JPG

it already left !!! huh.gif

nothing of interesting here !?!! unsure.gif biggrin.gif
Nix
Finally found the time to update some of these latest Victoria mosaics to the site, along with false-color versions. As for the rest of the work (calibrated mosaics); I foresee an update by November-December, just haven't had that much time left this year.. sad.gif

Nico
Oersted
Heading for Cabo Verde the safe, roundabout way
Nix
As expected. We wouldn't want them to drive along the rim, right? smile.gif

Indian, lol..."Mission Control decided Victoria is but another hole in the ground and plans are taken to start driving again towards the east" laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nico
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 1 2006, 01:15 AM) *
... A good start of the first day after graduation. Graduation from work, that is. I done went and retired on Friday... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--Bill
Congratulations, Bill! I am sooo envious. I am in the retirement planning mode myself, and hope to actually do it in a year or so. Your timing is perfect! biggrin.gif
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 1 2006, 06:15 AM) *
Just a naive suggestion . . Cape Verde has slumped by perhaps 10-20 metres due to undermining at some level substantially deeper than the visible outcrops whereas Cabo Frio has not, so this layer would be that much higher at Cabo Frio and hence buried by the sand and debris slope on top of the cliff.
I wouldn't say that's a naive suggestion. We should probably expect to find slumping and faulting to have offset the layering in many places. That's why I think a fair amount of circumnavigation is necessary. I think we really need to see much more of the rim's structure and stratigraphy before we will know which potential entry points will have the greatest science return.
Nix
New images coming in...not much though, some navcam, few pancam..
Stu
While we wait for the killer panorama...

My Mars... maybe yours too...

Click to view attachment
Nix
Very nice, pretty lonesome mood in the image -I like that.smile.gif

Nico
Nix
quick navcam L0; sol 955

Nico
ustrax
QUOTE (Nix @ Sep 30 2006, 10:45 PM) *
And another Cabas Verdes tongue.gif>Ustrax;

mad.gif Huum... mad.gif
If you were not brilliant in the imagery art as you are that with be a good reason to slap your face a la soprano fashion... wink.gif

EDITED: Now nprev has no excuse...SLAP!
Nix
laugh.gif Did you notice somebody even repeated it ?

Nico
mhoward
Quite a nice little drive. Here is a 90-degree perspective view East in the drive direction:

nprev
QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 1 2006, 11:34 AM) *
mad.gif Huum... mad.gif
If you were not brilliant in the imagery art as you are that with be a good reason to slap your face a la soprano fashion... wink.gif

EDITED: Now nprev has no excuse...SLAP!

Ow!!!! (rubs jaw that was already sore from earlier dropping)...Cabo Verde, I got it, I got it! tongue.gif
Stu
Just look at that... mad.gif

Oi! Oppy! Are you having a laugh?

She's having a laugh!! wink.gif

(apologies to non-UK members who haven't seen "Extras" and won't have a clue what that's about...! )
Indian3000
SOL 955

Left

Click to view attachment

Right

Click to view attachment

Stereo

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.