Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duck Bay
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Stu
Somebody suggested another UMSF BarBQ at Victoria... here you go...

Click to view attachment

tongue.gif
ngunn
We could make this one a rock concert . . .
DEChengst
What we've so far:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/mars/Victoria...de%20Pancam.jpg (735 KB)
http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/mars/Victoria...de%20Pancam.jpg 1.9 MB)

I guess we still miss one frame to join both sides of the panorma.
diane
On the geology front, I was kinda disappointed that we're not going to Cabo Frio first, but if there are good rock exposures at Cape Verde, then by all means, let's go! It does look like a more treacherous drive, though.

From a photographic survey point of view, either cape is going to give us a kind of view that we aren't getting from sitting back in Duck Bay. Either one should be spectacular, and the closer we can get to the point of Cape Verde, the better.

One thine we should get from Cape Verde is a good profile of the Beacon cliff, top to bottom. With Beacon being the high point on the rim, the stratiography ought to be spectacular. It will be interesting to see how deep that cliff goes.

I wish I were there with my camera!
Nix
QUOTE (diane @ Sep 29 2006, 05:03 PM) *
I wish I were there with my camera!

heheh, me too -set up the tripod and make some 60000x30000 pixel mosaics of each bay and each cliff up close tongue.gif

Nico
mhoward
QUOTE (DEChengst @ Sep 29 2006, 03:00 PM) *
I guess we still miss one frame to join both sides of the panorma.

Yep - see here
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 29 2006, 09:52 AM) *
Somebody suggested another UMSF BarBQ at Victoria... here you go...

Click to view attachment

tongue.gif

Hello,
I would be waiting for a panoramic with authentic color like ones taken on McMurdo. It is matter of time! I believe Oppy in any moment is going to take a paramount picture of Victoria Crater, probably from the high promontory of Near Rim. So it is time to update your pictures at your best angles! biggrin.gif for posting in the USMF Barbeque wink.gif

Rodolfo
aldo12xu
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Sep 29 2006, 10:00 AM) *
PHANTASTIC, fredk !!!

I must admit that I'm one of the unfortunate ones whoe doesn't seem to get a grip on viewing the 3D
images (the x-eye anaglyphs only cause eye strain and headaches for me and ed-green glasses also didn't do the trick for me sad.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems with the anaglyphs. Coming up with the Mystery Men was a brilliant idea......Did we ever do one for the Everest panorama? Thanks Fred!! smile.gif

By the way, Indian3000, the vertical projection you did......I was hoping to get the right image only so I can view the left-right pair using the parallel method. Where is the link to your latest version of the vertical/polar projection program?

Thanks,
Aldo.
kungpostyle
Should we expect more images today? Is MRO still needing all the bandwidth?
djellison
Where MRO 'gets in the way' is on the way UP to mars - uplinking commands to the vehicle. However - Opportunity is not only on a different frequency to MRO ( unlike Spirit ) but the downlink, via UHF and Mars Odyssey, should be relatively unaffected.

There may be more images later, the pipline is unreliable from time to time - but otherwise it's usually 22 hrs between exploratorium 'updates', which last about 2 or 3 hours.

Doug
Stu
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 29 2006, 03:46 PM) *
I would be waiting for a panoramic with authentic color like ones taken on McMurdo.

Me too... it was a joke smile.gif
climber
QUOTE (aldo12xu @ Sep 29 2006, 05:48 PM) *
Coming up with the Mystery Men was a brilliant idea......Did we ever do one for the Everest panorama? Thanks,
Aldo.

Sure! Here we go :
Click to view attachment
wink.gif
Indian3000
QUOTE (aldo12xu @ Sep 29 2006, 05:48 PM) *
I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems with the anaglyphs. Coming up with the Mystery Men was a brilliant idea......Did we ever do one for the Everest panorama? Thanks Fred!! smile.gif

By the way, Indian3000, the vertical projection you did......I was hoping to get the right image only so I can view the left-right pair using the parallel method. Where is the link to your latest version of the vertical/polar projection program?

Thanks,
Aldo.

no prob, I had not understood that like that biggrin.gif

Left

Click to view attachment

Right

Click to view attachment

perhaps that one can make a group purchase for anaglyph glasses with the color/logo of UMSF. biggrin.gif

for the moment not yet release for the CAHVOR vertical/spheric projection program (it"s a other module) , but in a few times when it is more stable… smile.gif
mhoward
Okay, these are completely bogus (distorted), but kind of fun:

jamescanvin
Off toward Cape Verde tomorrosol (955). smile.gif

CODE
955 p0655.03 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_90_3_bpp
955 p1151.04 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
955 p1154.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
955 p1201.06 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri34
955 p1212.09 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15
955 p1301.05 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri34
955 p1311.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
955 p1585.00 4   0   4   0   0   8    navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
955 p1955.02 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_270_1_bpp
955 p2111.05 13  13  0   0   2   28   pancam_cal_targ_L234567Rall
955 p2588.16 13  13  0   0   2   28   pancam_cape_verde_maio_L234567Rall
MahFL
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 30 2006, 12:01 AM) *
Off toward Cape Verde tomorrosol (955). smile.gif

CODE
955 p0655.03 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_90_3_bpp
955 p1151.04 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
955 p1154.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
955 p1201.06 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri34
955 p1212.09 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15
955 p1301.05 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri34
955 p1311.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
955 p1585.00 4   0   4   0   0   8    navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
955 p1955.02 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_270_1_bpp
955 p2111.05 13  13  0   0   2   28   pancam_cal_targ_L234567Rall
955 p2588.16 13  13  0   0   2   28   pancam_cape_verde_maio_L234567Rall

Is there a place where all of this is explained ?
alan
You left off this one

956 p1555.02 0 0 0 0 0 0 bitty_cloud_the_movie

huh.gif
RNeuhaus
It is evident that Oppy will go toward North side toward to Cabo Verde.

Rodolfo
odave
QUOTE (MahFL @ Sep 29 2006, 08:10 PM) *
Is there a place where all of this is explained ?

I don't think there's one spot, but the Jim & Doug Show on January 31st has some discussion about the kinds of things you see in the tracking DB.

Now that summer's over and I have a little more spare time, I'll try to start transcribing some of the audio that hasn't been done yet...
CosmicRocker
There have also been a lot of tips mentioned in various messages interspersed among many of the MER topics here as others have asked or commented, but there is no consolidated place where you can find them, afaik. It might be useful for some motivated person to create a topic in the Tech, General and Imagery section for capturing such information, as there is for Autostitch. Anyway, with a little common sense, and after spending some time comparing pancam tracking data to images we receive, it will start to make some sense. I don't think anyone here had a cookbook to follow when this database was discovered.

I think it was more like, "Hmm, this looks interesting. Let's kick the tires, take a look under the hood, and take it for a spin around the block."
Nirgal
While we all wait for the first real big color pans ...
here a first color impression of the Cabo Verde view:
Click to view attachment

edit: anyone placing Oppy on top of the cliff ? (Astro0 ?) wink.gif
climber
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Sep 30 2006, 10:08 AM) *
While we all wait for the first real big color pans ...
here a first color impression of the Cabo Verde view:
edit: anyone placing Oppy on top of the cliff ? (Astro0 ?) wink.gif

Thanks Nirgal.
I'm surprised nobody colored Cape Verde in the colour it deserves. I mean green from the one that doesn't understand spanish smile.gif
May be Doug will make a lot of progress since he goes to Valencia wink.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 30 2006, 10:38 AM) *
Thanks Nirgal.
I'm surprised nobody colored Cape Verde in the colour it deserves. I mean green from the one that doesn't understand spanish smile.gif
May be Doug will make a lot of progress since he goes to Valencia wink.gif

like this ?

Click to view attachment

wink.gif
climber
Verde y good Nirgal biggrin.gif
Floyd
OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: A View Worth Waiting For!

"Opportunity is healthy and sitting at the rim of "Victoria Crater"! After traveling 9,279.34 meters (5.77 miles) in 952 sols the team is rewarded by some of the most spectacular views seen on this mission."

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...tml#opportunity

Something to read while we wait for Pancams. rolleyes.gif
Stu
QUOTE (Floyd @ Sep 30 2006, 02:29 PM) *
Something to read while we wait for Pancams. rolleyes.gif

... which have just gone up! smile.gif
jabe
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 30 2006, 02:53 PM) *

love the closer pics..Hate to be the one to choose where to go first smile.gif

nice thing is they will only get better smile.gif
DEChengst
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 30 2006, 04:53 PM) *

Four frame color stitch:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/mars/Victoria...color%20WIP.jpg (910 KB)
Stu
QUOTE (DEChengst @ Sep 30 2006, 03:02 PM) *
Four frame color stitch:

Wow that was fast!!!! blink.gif

You've created a thing of beauty there, well done... smile.gif

This is the best I could do in that time... sad.gif

Click to view attachment
alan
The rest are down smile.gif
Two frame mosaic of Cape Verde

Click to view attachment
DEChengst
Four frames of Cape Verde:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/mars/Victoria...olor%20WIP2.jpg (540 KB)
Stu
Click to view attachment

I LOVE this place!!! biggrin.gif
Stu
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 30 2006, 03:44 PM) *

Oh wow oh wow oh wow!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
alan
QUOTE (DEChengst @ Sep 30 2006, 10:54 AM) *

Nice touch brightening it to show the layers in the shaded section.
dilo
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 30 2006, 03:44 PM) *
The rest are down smile.gif

This is a wild beauty!

Here my improved (sharpened and hue-corrected) version:
MarkL
QUOTE (dilo @ Sep 30 2006, 05:09 PM) *
This is a wild beauty!

Here my improved (sharpened and hue-corrected) version:

Incredible. That's impressive detail work! I am looking beyond Cabo Verde to the cliff on the other side. That looks quite sheer and tall with an abundance of strata. My eye was caught by the thick layer about 6 feet below the top of the cliff which may have been contiguous with the bright horizontal striations we saw across the opposite rim. The details you've brought out really show off the beauty of those cliffs, and the edge of cabo verde. Thanks!
diane
One of the things I'm seeing (especially in the brightened images) is the dark "sand" on the north side of the annulus. Something similar seems to be spilling into Victoria from the northern bays, also. It would be interesting to see what that is, and how it relates to the layers, breccia, and other ejecta.

And thanks everyone for the wonderful views!
hortonheardawho
Dr Schmitt examines the base of Cape Verdo ( in an alternate reality ):

SFJCody
QUOTE (MarkL @ Sep 30 2006, 06:23 PM) *
Incredible. That's impressive detail work! I am looking beyond Cabo Verde to the cliff on the other side.

The cliff behind the 'edge' of Cape Verde in this image looks like it has perhaps the tallest continguous sediment stack seen to date. Would be good to get closer and aim pancam and minites at it, even if the rover can't get near enough to use the IDD.
echo
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Sep 30 2006, 08:11 PM) *

Ha ha! That Apollo 17 EVA suit seems way to cumbersome for beautiful Mars. Seems no where near as harsh as the world that Apollo went to visit. Go Oppy!
dilo
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Sep 30 2006, 08:11 PM) *

Apart the funny montage... biggrin.gif
how did you obtain such incredibly sharp and natural view??? ohmy.gif
echo
Dilo, I think Horton has Schmidt looking for more of the deep layer fossils that Stu has detected wink.gif
mhoward

Sol 951-952 Pancam 185x35 degree equirectangular projection, L257 false-color.
Nix
I'm late to the party...glad to have color smile.gif a first attempt -cheating by using Endurance calibrated color as reference tongue.gif

Nico
hortonheardawho
QUOTE (dilo @ Sep 30 2006, 04:49 PM) *
Apart the funny montage... biggrin.gif
how did you obtain such incredibly sharp and natural view??? ohmy.gif

Sorry, forgot the warning: Color by Horticolor -- Please do not adjust your monitor; the problem is reality itself.
mhoward
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Sep 30 2006, 08:19 PM) *
The cliff behind the 'edge' of Cape Verde in this image looks like it has perhaps the tallest continguous sediment stack seen to date. Would be good to get closer and aim pancam and minites at it, even if the rover can't get near enough to use the IDD.

I think the area *under* the impressively-layered vertical cliff may have exposed rock that is even deeper in the stack, and at least one part looks pretty accessible...

Edit: Here's what I mean. I could easily be wrong of course, especially from this range. I hope I don't just look foolish here.

ustrax
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Sep 30 2006, 09:11 PM) *

Astonishing image...Though...
Does anyone get the name of that EXTRAORDINARY country correctly?! mad.gif
Cabo Verde is the name of the place...Cabo Verdehttp://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_Verde! rolleyes.gif
dvandorn
I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but in Nico's color partial pan, you can clearly see a rocky depression sitting several meters *back* from the rim. It's not just a little hollow, it seems (from this angle) to be a pretty steep-sided little hole.

Impact crater? Or, perhaps, a drainage feature? I can picture a process in which materials slough off into Victoria, opening up drainage routes for fines and smaller bodies to be removed. Perhaps this depression is a sinkhole-type drainage feature and not an impact structure?

-the other Doug
mhoward
Whatever it is, I think that's the feature they've been referring to as "Duck Crater."
Myran
Alan, DEChengst, Stu - now you have done it! After seeing those colourisations I now are forced to assemble my own swearbox! *clink*

Seriously, terrific work thanks go our to all of you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.