Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marathon Valley
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
eliBonora
Mosaic sol 1408

and HazCam in color, left and right, sol 4107 (using the variations of light as filters)

vikingmars
QUOTE (eliBonora @ Aug 19 2015, 09:31 AM) *
Mosaic sol 1408

WOW ! Thanks a lot eliBonora for sharing this nice work of yours ! smile.gif
atomoid
yes nice treatment! the parellel slightly exceeds my interpupilary distance on my monitor, making that one challenging but i am finding that its indeed possible to train the eyes to diverge unnaturally. Here are a crosseye and anaglyph of the brushing (09 CCW rotated).
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
atomoid
sol4117 marathon boulders at dusk
Click to view attachment
fredk
It looks like we may be heading into those boulders next, according to Crumpler's blog.
atomoid
..Crumpler curiously calls them "dark float rocks", or perhaps that's just a parcel of geologic nomenclature.. i'm inferring they haven't yet definitively spotted smectite from pancam data and are relying on low res orbital data and best hunches to pick the prospective targets to get a profile.. here's Larry's rendering in native resolution:
elakdawalla
"Float" is a term for rocks that have broken from their source rock, so they're no longer in place; they lack context (except that they probably originated upslope). Geologists prefer to analyze bedrock rather than float when they can, but the rovers are often forced to look at float rocks rather than outcrop higher up because of terrain trafficability issues. What they do try to do is find float that hasn't traveled far, where you can see the scar that it left behind on the outcrop so you be reasonably sure you know its initial position and orientation.
centsworth_II
I was surprised to see that the area of smectite detection by CRISM shown in Crumpler's blog encompasses the floor of the valley almost to the exclusion of the bordering layers of bedrock. But maybe the resolution is such that a distinction cannot be made and the outline around the valley floor is misleading if taken as a hard fact.
ngunn
Larry Crumpler's field reports are always very informative but this one excels in the amount of information in the illustrations. We even have the angles of dip in the foliations within the rocks in view. Foliation, if I'm not msitaken, is a word for layers in rocks where it seems unlikely that they're sedimentary layers.
Floyd
Opportunity is still alive and exploring Marathon Valley. Seems like UMSF has sort of ignored her for the past two weeks.

The monthly report by A.J.S. Rayl came out 9/3 Link
atomoid
there are some interesting MI images coming down tosol having apparent views of left right and left right, that when rotated 90CW work as stereo
jamescanvin
Just been catching up on what Oppy was up to while I was on holiday. Here is the view of the Northwest wall from a week or two back.

jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4132-4137.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
algorithm
From above, Sols 4132,34,37,38 but extended left a bit. Not the greatest quality, but heh!! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L panorama stitched together from images taken on Sol 4132-4138.
Almost complete. With a little gap.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Mosaic looking downhill at the floor of Marathon Valley from 4140:

jamescanvin
A great look across Endeavour Crater which just about overlaps with the mosaic of Marathon Valley floor from a couple of sols back.

jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 4144.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
added 1 image to the Sol 4144 L0 panorama.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 4146.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is part of the valley floor mosaic I'm working on. Control is from HiRISE, details from reprojected panoramas. You get a sense of the complicated patterns in the bedrock here. This covers all the recent activities over sols 4081-4152.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L 0 panoramic view on Sol 4147-4149.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Navcam L0 view on Sol 4153.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is a circular view - a bit distorted by the slope and my efforts to overcome that - of Jan's pan from sols 4147-4149. The pattern of outcrops shows up quite well.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the L0 panoramic view ( 9 images ) on Sol 4155.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
nice view sol4159 cant resist a couple anaglyphs
jamescanvin
Some nice Pancams from the last couple of sols.

jvandriel
The Navcam R0 view on Sol 4158.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Navcam L0 view on Sol 4159 and 4161 stitched together.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4167.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Pancam mosaic looking back uphill.

nprev
MOD NOTE: 10 posts directly or indirectly related to politics--including mine--removed in accordance with rule 1.2.

We're just not gonna do this.
algorithm
That's a shame, those ten posts were filling in a three day image gap ! ph34r.gif laugh.gif
atomoid
ok then, heres something new: sol4175 MIs have just enough overlap to do a parellel stereo
Click to view attachment
eliBonora
Sol 4136

Sol 4144

charborob
Sols 4282-4183 LPancam view:
Click to view attachment
(horizon left crooked on purpose)
jamescanvin
Realised that I hadn't posted my version of that here.

Horizon made flat on purpose. wink.gif
James Sorenson
Wonderful as always James smile.gif

I haven't made a mosaic in awhile from Oppy, here is my version. smile.gif

vikingmars
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Nov 5 2015, 07:35 AM) *
Wonderful as always James smile.gif
I haven't made a mosaic in awhile from Oppy, here is my version. smile.gif

Very nice, James. Thanks a lot ! smile.gif
James Sorenson
Whats down from Sol-4154.

James Sorenson
My version of the Sol 4140-4141 Mosaic.

Explorer1
Fantastic work James! Awe-inspiring....
James Sorenson
Thank you. smile.gif

Sol 4098-4122

vikingmars
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Nov 11 2015, 01:02 PM) *
Thank you. smile.gif Sol 4098-4122

How NICE James !
Thanks so much for sharing this nice work with us
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
charborob
Opportunity moved on sol 4200. Notice the shadow of the rim on the crater floor on this image.
Phil Stooke
Yes! I don't remember seeing a shadow before. Maybe there have been images which I just overlooked.

Phil

fredk
There was sol 2847 with some lovely views such as this one, which shows an "opposition surge" at the anti-solar point:
http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1/p/2...43P2445L2M1.JPG
There were some lovely colour mosaics made, see the old thread starting around here.

I agree the new 4200 navcams are stunning. And I suspect we can see the opposition surge again in this frame:
http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1/n/4...OZP1685R0M1.JPG
though someone should check the azimuths.
atomoid
i really liked the ones in shadow from sol4200 but sol4201 are even better. ICE chokes horribly on the righthand R image for some reason, so here's anaglyph of the other two pairs
Click to view attachment
"opposition surge", so thats what its called, thanks.. i've noticed this interesting effect quite a bit carpooling when one can actually get a chance to stare at at landscapes on low-angle sunny mornings, its especially apparent in iceplant type vegetation, i thought the effect aside from shadow hiding was just a prismatic reflection in plant epidermal cells but perhaps thats implicit as an aspect of the wiki's very brief coherent backscatter explanation.
jamescanvin
Speaking of shadows, note the one on the left here. smile.gif

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/im...ZP1211L0M1.html
Astro0
A little gif of the scene change at Marathon Valley as the shadows creep. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.