Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Southward from San Antonio to the Next Waypoint
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Sunspot
I'm thinking we would have started hearing things of something had gone wrong with one of the wheels?? blink.gif Maybe wink.gif
fredk
The latest images include soil characterization pancams:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...7M1.JPG?sol2221
It looks to me like they're trying to find out what it is about the soil at this spot that made the RM start to dig in.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 26 2010, 05:06 AM) *
I'm thinking we would have started hearing things of something had gone wrong with one of the wheels??
alan
Oppy not digging in because of the soil. She's climbing a slight grade to reach the outcrops ahead.
Floyd
Its the 5 year time warp. Tomorrow Scott will say something about Opportunity getting stuck huh.gif
climber
QUOTE (Floyd @ Apr 26 2010, 09:03 PM) *
Its the 5 year time warp. Tomorrow Scott will say something about Opportunity getting stuck huh.gif

...and about Spirit getting more sols than Viking II?
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 26 2010, 04:36 PM) *
It looks to me like they're trying to find out what it is about the soil at this spot that made the RM start to dig in.

A whole batch of MIs are planned for thisol.
Phil Stooke
An alternative to the idea of 'study the soil to see why we dug in' might be 'got to stop' (for whatever mechanical reason), 'so might as well look at the soil'

Phil
Bill Harris
The soil is rather interesting and they'll spend a couple of sols studying it.

Here is a L257-R721 x-eyed stereo pair. Note the gray tone to the soil rolled by the wheel-- typically, it tends to be a bluish or ocher color.

--Bill
Geert
In some of the earlier sol 2219 pancams it almost looks like separate layers just below the top of the dunes, certainly the soil seems less uniformly mixed, can't remember having seen this so clearly before.
djellison
Firstly, why not just link to the image at JPL or Expl. ?

Secondly, we've seen that layering in the Meridiani dunes a LOT.
CosmicRocker
Those layers are normally visible in the images made with the infrared filters like the L2. They have been apparent in many places where the drifts have been imaged with the appropriate filters. Those layers define the internal structure of the dunes/drifts/ripples. The edges of those layers are exposed on the eastern side of the dunes because the last time the dunes were actively moving, the prevailing wind was coming from the East. When wind has been able to move the sediment, the windward side has been an area of net erosion and the leeward side has been an area of net deposition. The dune/ripple moves in a downwind direction in that manner. Sand grains removed from the windward/eroded side deposit as new layers on the leeward side of the moving landform.

Bill touched on this a few days ago when he was theorizing about traction.

It's a good observation, whether it is old or new
nprev
New MIs down. Lotsa small blueberries here, might explain the observed slippage/sinking.

fredk
On the road again...
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2226
Tesheiner
Back to "business". smile.gif
Today's drive was about 25m S.
Sunspot
That's a welcome sight.
Stu
Er guys...? Guys..? What's that, over there, on the right..?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 29 2010, 11:25 AM) *
What's that, over there, on the right..?

An excuse for four to six days of wheel rest?
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 29 2010, 09:13 AM) *
Back to "business". smile.gif
... and in the rear-looking FHazcam, San Antonio shows in the northern horiziin.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...B5P1211L0M1.JPG

Good progress.

--Bill
fredk
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 29 2010, 07:25 PM) *

Hard to tell yet, but there's a multi-filter pancam view from 2220 that shows it at slightly better resolution:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...1M1.JPG?sol2220
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2M1.JPG?sol2220

(Bill, I think we're just seeing pretty local dunes in that fhaz view.)
Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 29 2010, 07:45 PM) *
An excuse for four to six days of wheel rest?

Genius... smile.gif
Stu
Slightly better view...

Click to view attachment
BrianL
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 29 2010, 01:25 PM) *

Er guys...? What's that, over there, on the left, on the horizon...? An excuse for 4 to 6 months of steady driving? tongue.gif
Phil Stooke
Meh - just a rock...

Phil
Bill Harris
"just a rock..."

Bite yo tongue... Rockses is good.

We're starting to see some differences during this (nominal) eastward journey. Changes in the dune morphology. A slight trend towards smaller Blueberry diameters. And with the last couple of stops, the bedrock has changed. Instead of the usual wind-rounded, polygonal paving stones we are seing finely-layered, freshly eroded surface with angular intersecting fractures. I don't see anything suggesting a buried crater, so this may not be a local change. We'll keep an eye out.

An L257 Pancam from Sol 2224:
Stu
Whenever I read "It's just a rock" I always think "But it's a rock ON MARS...!!" smile.gif Each rock is an amazing thing, a little piece of an alien world that will, in all likelyhood, not be seen, or examined again, for what, another half a century at the earliest? Each rock has its own history, it's own journey, its own secrets, and is where it is for a reason. So personally I'm happy every time I see one of them just sitting there, out in the Big Country desert of Meridiani.

Every rock is a potential treasure chest; we just need to find the right key to open it up smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Yeah, yeah, I know. I just wanna drive!

Phil
Stu
Patient, you must be. Hills: far away are. Rush, there is not.

laugh.gif
Bill Harris
Drive we are. But she has to stop every few days to rest the balky motor and replenish the accumulators, so we might as well rest in a useful spot.

--Bill
belleraphon1
Rush, there is...

"Gold" ahead in them thar ramparts... drive we must.

fredk
From the latest update:
The drive on Sol 2220 (April 22, 2010) halted after about 10 meters (33 feet) when a slip check failed while traversing the soft side of a sand dune. Post drive analysis determined that this slip-check failure was of the type that is expected occasionally from driving in this terrain and did not indicate a fundamental change in hazard level. Therefore, following the completion of the IDD soil campaign, a drive was planned for Sol 2226
Bill Harris
This is puzzling. From the update on the URL you gave (...html#2219), and even removing the "#2219" suffix, nothing is said past SOl 2218 (April 20). Even clearing my disk cache and forcing a new "read" of the page, nothing. Reason it's puzzling is that I've checked that update page every day.

sols 2212-2218, April 14-20, 2010: Recharging Batteries in Between Drives

Opportunity drove three times in the last week, spending time between drives to recharge her batteries. Because of the approaching winter solstice, solar array energy levels have been dropping.

<snip>

Anyway, glad that the problem was a non-problem.

--Bill
Astro0
latest update: up to Sol 2226 (April 28, 2010)
sols 2212-2218, April 21-28, 2010: Opportunity's Balancing Act

Seems to work for me.
Bill Harris
Still puzzling and still showing the old April 20 update. I'll fiddle with it when I get time...

Thanks!
fredk
The new update is there, at the top, but they forgot to change the old sol range in the title. The title says "sols 2212-2218", even though the rest of the update is new.
Ipparchus
Scott Maxwell tweeted me some interesting things: "Oppy did fail a slip check, measuring 58% slip. (Limit's 40%.) She's already driven away; IDD work was just during recharge. Slip check failed because she was on ripple's soft side. Surprisingly, west side's softer (looser material) than east side. Had to stop for a few days to recharge anyway, so just went ahead and did some IDD work while we were there."
Why do you think "west side's softer (looser material) than east side"? wheel.gif
fredk
QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Apr 30 2010, 05:02 PM) *
Why do you think "west side's softer (looser material) than east side"?

Have a look at this post.
fredk
Another drive on sol 2228, another stunning low-sun-angle hazcam view:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2228

And the sol 2226 drive included some mighty fine dune negotiation:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2227
fredk
The new Planetary Society update is up.

Not much new this month. Probably the most worthy quotes are some great lines from our Stu:
"Horizons are important to us," he continued. "They are boundaries, and destinations too. These new images of Endeavour's Hills call out to us because we can identify with them. We can easily imagine we're there beside Opportunity, maybe sitting next to her, leaning back against her like hikers rest against a large stone, or maybe standing next to her, with one gloved hand resting on her 'shoulder', drinking in the view, looking at a range of hills on the far horizon, squinting in the sunlight, trying to make out details and features upon them, facing the classic dilemma of the explorer: loving the view, but desperate to be on the move again, and getting closer to those faraway hills.”

(Stu, be sure to be careful when you lean on Oppy - she's delicate! biggrin.gif )
Tesheiner
Today's drive was quite short, "only" 25m, but enough to place the rover next to the rock we saw on the pictures taken two days ago.
Check the map on the route thread and this annotated image. It's the navcam mosaic taken on sol 2226 and the current position is represented by the yellow ellipse. There're no navcam or pancams from this position on today's batch; they are planned to be shot tomorrow.
Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
We should be looking forward to the images in the current queue. I'm hoping that they made an L257 and R721 series of the auto-nav save from Sol2226 and, of course, The Current Interesting Rock (sorry, it's in my genetic makeup).

Especially the Sol2226 maneuver. Out in the field, you'll frequently pick up a handful of soil. Roll it between your fingers, squeeze it in your palm, sniff it, look at it closely and get a feel for what it's made of. It's all part of figuring the geology.

Geology is important, since without it, the geography would have nothing to sit upon... smile.gif

--Bill
Phil Stooke
"Geology is important, since without it, the geography would have nothing to sit upon..."

Very good!

Phil
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 1 2010, 07:54 PM) *
"Geology is important,

Not to mention as a nearly endless source of puns. It would be gneiss if more people appreciated that.
Bill Harris
Indeedie, people take it too much for granite.

(sorry, that one's old enough to have whiskers) (twiddling thumbs waitin' for new images to come down) tongue.gif

--Bill
nprev
Yeah, that one was definitely a bit shale, Bill.
Astro0
Ooo, that one was definitely adding basalt to the wounds smile.gif

Sorry, I'll go now.
Stu
Worth a few days' rest to investigate, or scoot right past..?

Click to view attachment

And a luvverly 3D view of the dunes...

http://twitpic.com/1kbmnf/full
Stu
This is a beautiful spot, isn't it?

http://twitpic.com/1kc8ce
Bill Harris
First thought is "nothing unusual, just a piece of the kieserite bedrock 'round here". Second thought is "why? we usually don't see pieces of this rock sitting alone on the plain". No fresh craters nearby. This rock is finely-laminated, as we've seen in this vicinity recently, but it is slightly bluer than the surrounding rock, which appears to be in-situ. Third thought is that it may be a piece of ejecta from a Meridiani impact many miles away, with the added possibility that it has been recently uncovered by shifting sands.

Image file not loading; I'll edit it in later. Done.

--Bill
Hungry4info
Reversing course. blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.