Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extricating Spirit
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Spirit
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
centsworth_II
QUOTE (climber @ Nov 19 2009, 04:40 PM) *
...some soil in front of LF is now under it...
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 19 2009, 05:48 PM) *
It's really good to see LF eating into the soil in front of it...

Right! I tried to match features on the pile in front of the LF and a lot of the face of the mini cliff in front of the LF seems to have fallen away, but there is no pile of fallen material visible. In fact, a pile of material (orange arrows) that was present before the drive is also missing.
Click to view attachment
Before drive.............. After drive
fredk
From the latest update:
After spinning the wheels for the equivalent of 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) in the forward direction, the center of the rover moved approximately 12 millimeters (0.5 inch) forward, 7 millimeters (0.3 inch) to the left and about 4 millimeters (0.2 inch) down. The rover tilt changed by about 0.1 degree.

And this was really interesting - she actually made too much progress in her first step, so the second was cancelled!
The drive plan had imposed a limit of 1 centimeter (0.4 inch) motion in any direction. The second step of the drive was not performed, because Spirit calculated it had exceeded that limit.
PDP8E
Here is a little animation of the underbelly of Spirit (sols 2088 -2090)
I dusted off the program that s t r e t c h e s the heck out of the histogram of the images (no respect for gamma)

Click to view attachment

Cheers

(Stu -- sorry to hear about the flooding -- your family and friends are in our thoughts)

Tman
Animation middle right and left (Pancam L257):

new http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=150717
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Tman @ Nov 20 2009, 02:30 AM) *
Animation middle right and left...
Wow! That RM cleaned up nice! The LM seems to have dug in, but I like those clean cleats on the RM -- ready to grab hold and push the RF along.
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 20 2009, 02:57 AM) *
From the latest update:

And this was really interesting - she actually made too much progress in her first step, so the second was cancelled!

Another 600m and we're out blink.gif
mcgyver
as the most annoying thing of sand is it keeps falling on you while you dig... would it be possibile for the IDD to remove the sand over the wheel, to prevent it from burying the wheel itself?

EMBEDDED IMAGE REMOVED - please either attach images or post links to them offsite -- embedding makes life difficult for people with slow connections or small screens.
MahFL
The IDD is not a shovel........so NO.
mcgyver
QUOTE (MahFL @ Nov 20 2009, 05:59 PM) *
The IDD is not a shovel........so NO.

never mind what it is designed for, think of what it CAN do! "Think lateral" smile.gif , or we'll never get out of there!
Steve Holtam
There is no way they are going to be shoveling with the IDD. MahFL was being polite by just saying NO.
mcgyver
QUOTE (Steve Holtam @ Nov 20 2009, 07:04 PM) *
There is no way they are going to be shoveling with the IDD. MahFL was being polite by just saying NO.

are there any other reasons than "don't want"? I can see in pictures that IDD can reach the sand near the wheels, and maybe it even already touched it (not sure about little circluar print on the sand hill)

FOR THE SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN A DAY: DO NOT POST BIG IMAGES INLINE! LINKS OR ATTACHMENTS PLEASE! THE IMAGE WAS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY TO YOUR POST ANYWAY. --ADMIN
centsworth_II
QUOTE (mcgyver @ Nov 20 2009, 11:03 AM) *
... would it be possible for the IDD to remove the sand over the wheel
I'm sure the team has thought of this, as it is an obvious thought. Whether the consensus is "not in your wildest dreams" or " Plan D", I don't know. But so far plan A seems to be working fine.

My own feeling is that if the IDD could reach the area, it would likely only be able to touch the top of the pile and would end up pushing as much of it against the wheel as away. The wheel itself seems a much better tool for moving soil, as evidenced in this last drive.
algorimancer
One thing I'm led to wonder is whether the surprising (?) progress is due to packing of the underlying soil due to sitting in one place for so long. This might motivate a strategy if the current plans otherwise go awry. Hoping I'm wrong.
brianc
We just need to all sit back, calm down and have some patience here, these chaps know what they're doing

After 12 driving sols we will have backed out onto the firm ground - you mark my words tongue.gif
fredk
Oooh, that sounds like a call for a Spirit Extraction Pool. Some of our members would be absolutely thrilled about that! tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

NO MORE POOLS PER DOUG - ADMIN
fredk
Third drive attempt soon, according to the latest update:
This time, however, the right rear wheel will be commanded at a slightly slower speed to allow the right middle wheel to gain more traction. This is to mitigate the potential for a wheelie by the right middle wheel. There will also be tighter limits on the rover's change in direction (yaw) and the angles of the suspension system.
Astro0
A different view of the Sol2088-2090 move.
Click to view attachment
Keatah
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Nov 21 2009, 07:17 AM) *
A different view of the Sol2088-2090 move.

Yeh! For some strange reason I saved the gif to my 'marspics' folder and titled it, "Getting Underway.gif" - sort of reminded me of a ship pulling away from port.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 21 2009, 05:25 AM) *
Third drive attempt soon, according to the latest update:

Planned for sol 2092 i.e. today.
jamescanvin
Some data on the tracking site now. Looks like about 5mm progress forward, although worryingly, another 4mm 'down'.
Tesheiner
And this time it looks like the two steps were executed.
Oersted
I'm wondering if "down" might just mean that the mid part of the rover is down a bit, but the rear is moving up.
fredk
Less progress on 2092 than on 2090:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...05P1214R0M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...06P1214R0M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/fo...08P1214R0M1.JPG

Here's a tweaked version of the rear wheels:
Click to view attachment

It looks like there was a bit of a roll to the left and further yaw like in the last drive. Impossible to say what all this means yet.
HughFromAlice
Movie of 2 forward left hazcam pics taken on Sol 2092 - Earth Time Sun Nov22.
2F312091613EFFB207P1235L0M1.JPG
2F312092660EFFB208P1214L0M1.JPG

First pic with IDD (arm) down and second pic about 18 mins later. Looks like that revolving left wheel is pushing up a bit of 'sand'. Rover slewing a bit to the right and probably not sinking in relation to that wheel. And, dare I say it, possibly a bit of movement towards safe ground! That critical right wheel - looks like no perceptible movement in relation to ground.

Click to view attachment

Just seen your post Fred - yaw right at front = left at rear?!! It's a bit early on Sun morning here!!!
Astro0
Front, Rear and Nav sequences from sol2088 to sol2092.
Front and rear sol2092 show both steps.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tman
I do not like the repeated down movement of the right RW.

Full res. GIF of the progress from the Forward Hazcam (by Mirko from the German forum)
Burmese
The LF wheel is still steadily shoveling soil and that should start to pay dividends. Wonder when they will try some crabbing?
djellison
Some rough and ready renderings of Scamander crater based on the OSU elevation map posted with the press conf a week or so ago. The exaggerated elevation is 5x exaggerated.
PDP8E
doug
your renderings are very cool
Oersted
I agree, excellent renderings.
Hungry4info
Looks like we're again imaging underneath the rover.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/fo...08P1162L0M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/fo...08P1162L0M1.JPG

Looks different now (i.e. farther in the distance). Touching?
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/mi...08P2926M2M1.JPG
PDP8E
Here is an animation of the underbelly of Spirit over the last 3 imaging sessions (sols 2088, 2090, 2092)
I have pushed tortured the histograms and did some adaptive processing

Click to view attachment

Cheers
Tman
Animations middle right and left (Pancam L257):

new: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=150822
Steve Holtam
Three steps -

ADMIN - PLEASE DO NOT POST LARGE IMAGES DIRECTLY INLINE. UPLOAD AS AN ATTACHMENT FOR PEOPLE WITH SLOW CONNECTIONS ETC. SEE BELOW
jamescanvin
New Free Spirit update

Last drive was aborted after 4m worth of wheel spinning due to a RR stall.

Sequencing diagnostics today (for nextersol, 2095)) including a possible steering test, a small backward rotation of just the right-rear wheel and a short (~1m) forward drive of all wheels.
Hungry4info
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 23 2009, 01:18 PM) *
all wheels.

How is this defined for Spirit?
fredk
The story James linked to only mentions a "forward commanded motion of the rover", not a drive of all the wheels. Obviously the RF won't take part in the drive, and the only question is whether the RR will. But without the RR, three left wheels vs one right wheel means she'd yaw over to the right pretty severely I'd think.
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 23 2009, 10:07 PM) *
... But without the RR, three left wheels vs one right wheel means she'd yaw over to the right pretty severely I'd think.

I don't see any reason for that since the stall ended the drive. This is confirmed by the motion in all axis been a matter of mm. So, "severely" is may be over stated. May have been a "tendency" instead?
fredk
Are you thinking that the RR may not have been turning much during the entire last drive? If that's true, then you're right. Three left and one right wheel driving didn't yaw her over much - it didn't make very much progress period.

But we don't know how the RR behaved during the entire last drive. Maybe it slowed down only at the end, just before the drive was aborted. If that's the case, then 3L + 1R driving might still yaw us a lot more than we've seen yet. Still, traction is worse on the left side, so it's not clear what might happen.
paxdan
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 22 2009, 02:49 PM) *
Some rough and ready renderings of Scamander crater based on the OSU elevation map posted with the press conf a week or so ago. The exaggerated elevation is 5x exaggerated.

But not the tilt of the rover?
djellison
Problem is they removed a local tilt to produce the DEM- and I don't know how much - so it was guess work on how to place the rover in terms of tilt etc.
PDP8E
Here is the underbelly animation showing more of the left side (looking under and to the back of the vehicle..2088,90,92)
A rocker or a boogy is really moving, maybe someone can illuminate what is (mechanically) happening with that kind of motion?
Also notice in this animation as well as the other a few posts back, that the ground appears to heave up on the 2092 image.
Well, the ground isn't heaving up, the camera platform (Spirit) is digging in and so it is lower (yikes!)

Click to view attachment

Cheers

(there is one more animation set showing more of the right side (the Scamander side) that I will be getting to ...)
alan
Question: has anyone seen the origin of Scamander discussed?

Is it assumed to be an old impact crater that was filled with the loose bright material or could the hollow have been formed by the same process that produced the material.
PDP8E
Here is the last animation based on Sols 2088,90,92 that show the rightmost section of the undercarriage of Spirit
One thing I would like to point out is the repeatability of the camera pointing; the arm deploys the MI to the exact same places over many sols - I have not made any attempt to align the images - awesome engineering!

Click to view attachment

Cheers
Tesheiner
The images from today's diagnosis / drive are available: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/fo...cam/2009-11-24/
And looking at the data available at the tracking web, the net movement was 2.5mm N and 1.3mm W.

Before: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/fo...08P1214L0M1.JPG
After: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/fo...14P1214L0M1.JPG
fredk
There is some movement in the soil behind the RR wheel after tosol's RR wheel diagnostic drive:
Click to view attachment
That sounds like a positive sign (tea leave), but we'll have to hear what they say in the next official release.
Hercules
Full quote of previous post removed - Mod

These images appear to show the ground moving away, which is a very good sign. The three attempts at movement so far have been very promising but I became concerned by the front Hazcam views from Saturday that appear to show that the locked right front wheel has lodged against a small stone and did not appear to move when there was a clear movement from the left front wheel. I wondered what would happen if Spirit rotates around the locked front wheel. Would this cause the rover to slide further into Scamander crater?
djellison
I see clear motion on the FR during the last drive. Small, but so was the motion from the FL. I don't think small pebbles etc are going to significantly increase the drag caused by that wheel.
Tman
Animations of middle right and left wheel (till sol 2095):
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tacitus
There was no stall of the suspect wheel during the diagnostic drive, so it's full speed ahead (relatively speaking!) for the next 5m drive over the Thanksgiving weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.