Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodbye Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
TheChemist
So nice to have you back !
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Shaka
Ciao, Paolo! Come vai? biggrin.gif
Very glad to hear from you again!
Every time Oppy makes a turn, we're thinking, What is Paolo up to now?
I am so very pleased to know that sometimes we will be finding out in the future.
You cannot imagine how much that magnifies our enjoyment of the MER adventure.
fredk
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Nov 6 2008, 12:15 AM) *
Tap, tap. Is this thing on?

We hear you loud and clear, Paolo! I echo the last comments completely. It is so good to learn something of what's behind the images we see, instead of just guessing like we often do here!

Are you able to enlighten us at all on what's behind the current choice of route? Science/cobbles, easier autonav, easier driving,...?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 5 2008, 03:39 PM) *
We hear you loud and clear, Paolo! I echo the last comments completely. It is so good to learn something of what's behind the images we see, instead of just guessing like we often do here!

Are you able to enlighten us at all on what's behind the current choice of route? Science/cobbles, easier autonav, easier driving,...?

The route we are following should minimize encounter with Purgatoids. It will be considerably longer than a direct route but should be safer and maximize science return.

As for what I have been doing recently: for the past few weeks I have been busy on the other side of the planet trying to push a rover up a slope.

Paolo
mhoward
Nice to see you back, Paolo. We'll take what bits of information we can get and not ask too much. So many questions come up along the way. smile.gif
MahFL
They don't build rovers so the wheels drop off after 601 m.......
Nirgal
This is great to have you back on the forum, Rover Driver !
smile.gif

fredk
As we say farewell to Victoria, here are a couple of long baseline stereo views of its cliffs, first from sols 1668/70 and second from sols 1682/83 showing Cape Victory:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
It will be a long time before we have views this spectacular from Oppy again...
CryptoEngineer
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Nov 6 2008, 11:37 AM) *
This is great to have you back on the forum, Rover Driver !
smile.gif

Seconded! (or is it thirded!).

I've been following UMSF since soon after the landings, but rarely
post. One thing I've been wondering about:

What sensors are available for autonav? I ask because a lot of the
time in the march to and from Victoria, it looked to me like a
'follow the trough' algorithm would have been useful. Oppy
seems to spend a lot more time trying to go between ridges
rather than cross them.

I'm under the strong impression (if I'm wrong, just stop reading)
that the MERs have tiltmeters. An algorithm which said, in effect,
'As long as wheel slip is low, steer gently towards whichever front
wheel is downhill' would allow Oppy to track along a trough.

just another back seat driver.....

ce
PhilCo126
Just explaining an odd term for non-native English speakers: Purgatoids = larger ripples (dangerous dunes in fact) ph34r.gif
mhoward
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 7 2008, 04:04 AM) *
Just explaining an odd term for non-native English speakers: Purgatoids = larger ripples (dangerous dunes in fact) ph34r.gif

For any newbies, we should add that it's not just an 'English-ism', but rather a Mars Exploration Rover-specific term. Purgatoids are drifts that look like 'Purgatory', where Opportunity famously got stuck for a long time.
Fran Ontanaya
Purgatoids from Mars -- I would buy that if it was a pulp sci-fi book. ph34r.gif
avkillick
QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ Nov 7 2008, 11:56 AM) *
Purgatoids from Mars -- I would buy that if it was a pulp sci-fi book. ph34r.gif

Purgatoids - an irritation that can be diminished with some 'Preparation P'
RoverDriver
QUOTE (CryptoEngineer @ Nov 6 2008, 11:22 AM) *
Seconded! (or is it thirded!).

I've been following UMSF since soon after the landings, but rarely
post. One thing I've been wondering about:

What sensors are available for autonav? I ask because a lot of the
time in the march to and from Victoria, it looked to me like a
'follow the trough' algorithm would have been useful. Oppy
seems to spend a lot more time trying to go between ridges
rather than cross them.

I'm under the strong impression (if I'm wrong, just stop reading)
that the MERs have tiltmeters. An algorithm which said, in effect,
'As long as wheel slip is low, steer gently towards whichever front
wheel is downhill' would allow Oppy to track along a trough.

just another back seat driver.....

ce

This is an excellent question. When we talk about an "autonav" drive we intend a drive where cameras are used to observe the terrain around the vehicle and determine if there is a safe path or if the path specified is safe. This drive modality is pretty expensive (slower driving). You also mention "low slip". In order to measure slip, we need to use the cameras to measure the actual rover motion compared to the commanded motion (visual odometry). This is another CPU intensive task and it is used only when needed, either when we are on slopes or periodically on long drives (to verify we are still moving and not embedded in a ripple for example).

The rovers also have accelerometers and gyros (what you called "tiltmeters") assembled in an IMU (inertial measurement unit) that allows to accurately measure roll, pitch and yaw (RPY) of the rover. If you are interested you can google around and you will find which make/model and its specs. This sensor is turned on every time we drive and constantly provides the rover with the RPY, the rover "attitude". This information is important not only for driving but for communication (where to point the antenna) and cameras and MTES on the PMA.

While traversing the big ripples from Purgatory down to Victoria Anulus we used the IMU to specify safe limits on RPY but never used roll and/or pitch measurements to dynamically alter the rover's path. We have begun using RPY measurements to dynamically adapt the rover's path on both rovers only recently.

We also have sensors that report the configuration of the suspension system (rockers/bogies) and recently we used these measurements as well to dynamically modify the path or behaviour of the rover.

While it is relatively easy to come up with a strategy to drive between ripple crests, it is very difficult to ensure the vehicle will recognize an unsafe condition and stop. These new "smart" sequences quickly become very complex and difficult to prove safe in all conditions.

Paolo
imipak
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 6 2008, 08:12 PM) *
It will be a long time before we have views this spectacular from Oppy again...

"We will not see the like of those days again."

I learned a new word from the kids at work this week - "facepalm" - I'm still not absolutely certain what it means, but I can picture many geologically aware readers doing one in a moment's time, so apologies if this is a silly question. There seem to be quite a few protuding nodule-like features on Cape Victory evident in fredk's analglyph, including one right in the middle that looks almost like a freeze-frame of a cannon-ball smacking into a castle wall a few hundred years ago. Why might the slightly harder rock which erodes out in this way take a shape that crosses many vertical layers? And why might it be different from Duck Bay? Is there a terrestrial analogue?
CosmicRocker
No facepalm activity here. I was intrigued.

I'm not sure that I know the answer to your question, imipak, but I am going to hazard a guess at my peril. I think I see the features you are describing, and I believe they could be the result of wind erosion, temperature variations, and the three dimensional geometry of the fractures in the rock. I think it is safe to bet that the fractures in the rock were created by the impact that created Victoria Crater. If you look at the fractures on the face of Cape Victory (and in other capes and bays), you will notice that the bedrock has been broken into a lot of triangular and rhomboidal blocks.

At least, that's how it appears on the approximately flat faces of the capes. But, the fractured blocks are three dimensional, so many of them quite likely have pointed, pyramidal ends.

Erosion typically follows planes of weakness, when they exist in bedrock. In this case, it appears that some of the erosion is following the fractures. Fractures can also direct mineral-rich ground waters which can cause some parts of the rock to become harder or softer. Finally, since the fractures physically break the rock into separate blocks, freeze/thaw and/or diurnal, thermal expansion/contraction cycles can cause blocks of rock to move with respect to one another. I think your cannonballs might be the pointy, pyramidal ends of fractured bedrock blocks.

Sorry about the long and arcane explanation, but you did ask for it. cool.gif
Phil Stooke
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G3P2580L6M2.JPG

Are those Opportunity's tracks near Nevada in the top right corner of this image?

Phil
CosmicRocker
Good eye, Phil. I think those must be Opportunity's tracks. The alignment of the view across Cape Victory seems about right, and the shape of those markings nicely matches Eduardo's map of Opportunity's attempts to approach the cliff face.
climber
Isn't it ol' Vicky :
Click to view attachment
fredk
That's not 'ol Victoria. That's a smaller crater off to the northwest, if I'm correct.

It's hard to make out Victoria from a distance, since it doesn't have any real raised rim. Here's an example of the view from sol 1686:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...00P1635R0M2.JPG
mhoward
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 11 2008, 12:02 PM) *
That's not 'ol Victoria. That's a smaller crater off to the northwest, if I'm correct.

You're correct - it's not Victoria. Whatever it is, it was to the northwest on sol 1687. This particular image was taken on sol 1689.
fredk
This must be it (white arrow). I haven't seen a name for it.
Click to view attachment
mhoward
Yep - that's got to be it. smile.gif
Shaka
Without wishing to disturb the blissful silence of our acute "conjunctionitis", now that Victoria Crater is virtually out of sight, yet before it passes too totally out of mind, we might profit from a thoughtful look at the recent paper in JGR-Planets which summarizes the state of mind of our esteemed PIs (some of them) concerning the processes which produced Vicky in the first place, to whit:
Degradation of Victoria crater, Mars
John A. Grant, Sharon A. Wilson, Barbara A. Cohen, Matthew P. Golombek,
Paul E. Geissler, Robert J. Sullivan, Randolph L. Kirk, and Timothy J. Parker
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 113, E11010, doi:10.1029/2008JE003155, 2
Ideally we would all have access to the complete paper before discussing its findings, but harsh reality prevents that for many of our members, so it occurred to me to liberally quote from the paper, limited mainly to substantive observations and conclusions. Those wishing details as to the methods of observations, raw data and figures, and discussion of alternate interpretations will need to visit a library, or at least request them here.
To begin, the basic descriptions:
The 750 m diameter and 75 m deep Victoria crater in Meridiani Planum, Mars, is a degraded primary impact structure retaining a 5 m raised rim consisting of 1–2 m of uplifted rocks overlain by 3 m of ejecta at the rim crest. The rim is 120–220 m wide and is surrounded by a dark annulus reaching an average of 590 m beyond the raised rim.
Victoria is a relatively simple, bowl-shaped structure that presents considerable evidence for significant degradation: it displays a low, serrated, raised rim characterized by alternating alcoves and promontories, hereafter referred to as ‘‘bays’’ and ‘‘capes,’’ respectively;
The vast majority of the crater floor is covered by smooth, unconsolidated fines that transition into dunes toward the crater center. Individual dunes are up to 5 m high, and orientation of the dominant crests is inferred to be approximately orthogonal to the present prevailing wind direction.
Comparison between observed morphology and that expected for pristine craters 500–750 m across indicates that the original, pristine crater was close to 600 m in diameter. Hence, the crater has been erosionally widened by 150 m and infilled by 50 m of sediments.

The authors base their inference of the original dimensions of VC from the well-established model for fresh craters following the normal processes of collapse from the transient form. The original diameter is varied to fit that needed to produce, after erosion, the present crater in terms of rim height and width, thickness of ejecta remaining etc.
if Victoria was originally 600 m across, then an average of 3–6 m of vertical erosion of the ejecta deposit has occurred at the present rim. This contrasts with the 1 m erosion inferred for more distal, lower-relief ejecta surfaces. Greater erosion of the rim is expected because the resistant hematite spherules would be less likely to accumulate on the slightly steeper, higher relief surfaces versus the lower-relief ejecta beyond...
Eolian processes are responsible for most crater modification, but lesser mass wasting or gully activity contributions cannot be ruled out.

The flat annulus of VC, together with its serrated edge are, IMNSHO, its most distinctive features, not seen in thousands of other craters in other areas of Mars, on other bodies of the solar system, and through a wide range of degradational states.
...the expected extent of ejecta is comparable to the observed extent of Victoria’s annulus and may suggest that it relates to the crater’s ejecta deposit...
The annulus formed when 1 m deflation of the ejecta created a lag of more resistant hematite spherules that trapped <10–20 cm of darker, regional basaltic sands.

Bays extend an average of 50 m into the rim and plains surrounding the crater, ranging between 25 and 95 m, and partly accommodate the 150 m widening... The two deepest bays, dubbed Duck Bay and Bottomless Bay, extend 95 and 74 m into the rim, respectively. Bay surfaces slope into the crater at an average of 19 degrees (range from 14 to 26), well below the angle of repose.
Bay surface roughness is generally low over distances of 1–10 m with rock surfaces appearing planed off to form ventifacts eroded by sediments blowing into and out of the crater.

Capes expose a sequence of in situ rocks overlain by the ejecta deposit... Interestingly, there appears to be relatively little difference in the erodibility of the ejecta overlying the capes and the capes themselves.
...Most capes are not flanked by significant talus, and their bases often remain exposed and are notched and windscoured...Some talus blocks show an obvious narrowing near their bases, suggesting erosion by saltating sand, whereas others are partially buried by drift materials.

Erosion is fastest where windblown sediment scours exposed and relatively weak bedrock and ejecta...
The fact that the ejecta layer appears to have a similar resistance to erosion as the bedrock implies that there is little to no impact melt binding the ejecta deposit...
Evolution of the bays was likely enhanced by wind erosion that exploited structural weaknesses in the wall, such as tear faults, that can originate when adjacent rim segments experience differential uplift during crater formation...

The facts that impact melt is (apparently) absent, and that radially-oriented "tear faults" could have initiated the development of bays, offer the kind of specializations needed to explain the rarity of Victoria-type craters. Such characters may be a result of the 'weak' nature of Meridiani bedrock compared to other bedrock in the solar system.
Alternative scenarios are not supported. Some might ask, though, whether such features fully account for the rarity of the "cape-and-bay" rim form?
While it is possible that mass wasting or even limited fluvial activity may once have played a more important role in crater degradation and formation of the bays, numerous aspects of their form relative to that expected via mass wasting make this unlikely...If bay formation was initiated by mass wasting or gully incision during the early history of the crater, all evidence has been removed by subsequent, more significant eolian modification.
...we conclude that there is no evidence at Victoria crater suggesting that it was completely filled and subsequently exhumed as suggested by Edgett [2005], and there is not any evidence for degradation by water-related processes.

Finally, the authors suggest a character of VC which could explain the rarity of its occurrence, namely that it represents a 'snapshot' view of a (relatively brief ?) intermediate stage within a degradational sequence for Victoria-sized craters in the Meridiani area.
Other stages in the sequence may be represented by other craters studied by Oppy, such as Endurance (an earlier stage) and Erebus (later stage).
The successive processes in this evolution can be summarized as follows:
Pristine craters possessing initially steep walls exposing highly fractured rocks are modified by some mass wasting as debris is shed into crater interiors. Accompanying early eolian erosion of walls and the rim is also important, as the weak, exposed lithologies are scoured by saltating sediments eroded from the walls, ejecta, and basaltic sand transported from the surrounding plains...

Some of the dark-toned basaltic sand is trapped within the crater and causes net infilling over time.

Stripping of sediments from the rim and ejecta creates a lag of more resistant hematite spherules that traps some of the regional basaltic sands, slows additional erosion, and leads to evolution of a surrounding annulus...

Continued backwasting of the walls, predominantly by eolian processes, exploits structural weaknesses (e.g. tear faults) that lead to locally faster backwasting and evolution of the alcoves or bays...

As additional sediments are carried into the crater from the surrounding plains, some are swept into dunes, and net infilling begins to outpace backwasting of the walls. Eventually, bays become rounded and smoothed by sediments blowing into and out of the crater...

...ongoing infilling by sediments delivered from outside of the crater becomes relatively more important in modification and leads to slow infilling of the remaining relief.

In their most degraded forms, craters are filled to the level of the surrounding plains, and the surrounding annulus is slowly eroded and fades. At this advanced degradation state, craters are marked only by outcrops indicating what remains of their rims...

In concluding, note that the authors do not suggest the presence of frozen volatiles (i.e. water) in the Meridiani crust as an essential feature in explaining Victoria Crater evolution. This ingredient appears to be important in the formation of other Martian crater types at higher latitudes (e.g. pedestal craters), and it had figured large in a speculative scenario I concocted an age or two ago to explain Vicky, before we actually reached her. (Ignorance was certainly bliss!) I still think, however, that there are more questions remaining, hidden beneath her generous skirts, regarding her 'special' status among impact craters. I would, at the least, like to see a more thorough census of the rim forms of small craters on the Plain of Meridiani and other similar Martian substrata (e.g. hematite-rich zones). I can't be comfortable with only one or two examples of Victoriana.
YMMV
So who wants to instigate a discussion/argument/battle? cool.gif
Conjunction still has days to go.

Phil Stooke
My impression from browsing MOC and HiRISE images of Meridiani was that these serrated crater walls are common in this area. In fact even Endurance can be seen as a small example, with just a couple of capes. I don't recall seeing them in other areas though, so thry may require the kinds of rock found here. I think the cemented sands just disintegrate over time, resulting in a lack of ejecta blocks on the rim, a limited population of large talus blocks below the capes, and probably causing undermining of the walls over time which hastens the formation of each bay.

Phil
Shaka
I'd certainly like to see those other craters, Phil. Unfortunately, I can't work with the monster HiRISE files, and need someone to pare them down. I do remember from a couple of years ago a clear example of a serrated crater, indeed, a quite bizarre 'double-decker' with TWO concentric serrated rims.
But I'd be far happier with this hypothesis, if I could see a few more in the serrated degradation stage.
dvandorn
I will point out that Endurance is characterized by incipient "bay" formation that looks for all the world as if the crater wall had been undercut by erosion (likely aeolian) and the upper surface had collapsed in a sheet into the now-enlarged crater. This fits is rather well with the description of Victoria's bay formation.

-the other Doug
Astro0
Shake: "example of a serrated crater, indeed, a quite bizarre 'double-decker' with TWO concentric serrated rims"

This one or something like it? A few examples across Meridiani Planum. Bizarre indeed!
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_001348_1770

Astro0
Oersted
Consecutive hits from a Shoemaker-Levy-like string of bodies?
Juramike
How about a normal crater that blasted through two layers of rock with differing resistance to erosion?

The upper layer (with the bright white rim) is softer and got easily eroded and blew away while being expanded. The lower portion was more erosion resistant and maintained its shape over time. The inner "crater" is the lower portion of the original crater that was less eroded (thus less enlarged). The inner shelf is the contact between the two layers.

-Mike
Phil Stooke
Shaka - check these out: (they lead to JPGs, resolution reduced but still OK)

Here's a giant example:

http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTR...RED.abrowse.jpg

Here is a degraded example (top right):

One big example and some smaller ones:

http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/moc/images/large/S0701971

Many craters, some with a few capes and bays:

http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/moc/images/large/E0500154

Similar one:

http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/moc/images/large/E0201844

Another big example:

Phil
Shaka
Good Lord, Phil, I never saw so many ugly, irregular craters in all my life! ohmy.gif
If my experience with crater photos had begun with these, I would be struggling to explain the neatly circular craters elsewhere as the bizarre anomalies.
Compared to these, Victoria is a model of regularity; its 'teeth' are far more uniform around the whole circumference than just about ANY in your photos!
blink.gif And I thought I understood impact cratering!
I have a headache. I think I'll go lie down. sad.gif
CosmicRocker
Those appear to me to be more recent impacts into older sediments.
Doc
The impacts are likely in old sediments. But how do you know if the impact craters are recent?
Shaka
Well...ahem...Conventional wisdom would say that the youngest craters had the simplest, circular, well upraised rim, and a crater depth to diameter ratio close to 0.2 (for small, simple primary craters). That would imply that just about none of the craters in Phil's photos are very young.
blink.gif What does that tell us about "conventional wisdom"? That's why I have a headache.
Stu
Just a dark line on the horizon now...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2008/...rewell-victoria

(well spotted, hort! smile.gif )
jamescanvin
Yes I spotted it yesterday while stitching parts of the Santorini pan - it came as a nice surprise. smile.gif
algorimancer
There is a very readable paper in the current issue (22 May 2009) of the journal Science summarizing the results of the exploration of Victoria, "Exploration of Victoria Crater by the Mars Rover Opportunity", by Squyres et al. No dramatic surprises, but a nice summary.
alan
NASA Rover Sees Variable Environmental History at Martian Crater

Instruments on the rover's arm studied the composition and detailed texture of rocks just outside the crater and exposed layers in one alcove called "Duck Bay." Rocks found beside the crater include pieces of a meteorite, which may have been part of the impacting space rock that made the crater.

Other rocks on the rim of the crater apparently were excavated from deep within it when the object hit. These rocks bear a type of iron-rich small spheres, or spherules, that the rover team nicknamed "blueberries" when Opportunity first saw them in 2004. The spherules formed from interaction with water penetrating the rocks. The spherules in rocks deeper in the crater are larger than those in overlying layers, suggesting the action of groundwater was more intense at greater depth.

Inside Duck Bay, the rover found that, in some ways, the lower layers differ from overlying ones. The lower layers showed less sulfur and iron, more aluminum and silicon. This composition matches patterns Opportunity found earlier at the smaller Endurance Crater, about 6 kilometers (4 miles) away from Victoria, indicating the processes that varied the environmental conditions recorded in the rocks were regional, not just local.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2009-088

stewjack
The National Public Radio show and podcast Science Friday has a podcast featuring Steve Squyres that mention the paper.

Mars Rovers, Mars Water (broadcast Friday, May 22nd, 2009)

Researchers published new findings based on data collected by rover Opportunity during its exploration of Victoria Crater in the journal Science this week. The rock and sediment features in the crater, scientists say, indicate that liquid water played an important role in shaping a sizable area of the planet long ago. Victoria crater showed water-driven features similar to those found at other crater sites several miles away.

Direct Download of Podcast mp3 ( 8.3 MB )
http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr-po...r_104479138.mp3

Jack
Oersted
Great listening, thx stewjack.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.