Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol 22 and after
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Airbag
It is a shame (for us) that R6 (Diopter—Blue) is not a clear filter. If it were so, then one could take much sharper close-ups of the deck and use those as the "value" component and the less sharp color images for the "hue and saturation" components to get very good overall color images.

However, that is not a mission success criteria I would guess smile.gif and no doubt the team already has plenty of very sharp images (taken with other cameras) of the deck taken here on Earth!

Airbag
Oersted
Space.com-article:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/08070...nix-update.html

"[...] It then used the rasp on the scoop at the end of the arm to make 50 scrapes in the ice and then heaped the scrapings into little piles each with about two to four teaspoonfuls of ice. The scraping created a grid in the icy layer about 0.08 inches (2 millimeters) deep.

On Sunday, mission scientists used the craft's Surface Stereo Imager to view the scrapings and agreed that they were ideal representatives of the boundary between dirt and ice."
jmjawors
Hrm. My impression from the JPL release today was that they scraped with the blade, not rasped. Not sure if Space.com misunderstood or if I misread it.

Besides, doesn't the rasp kick the ice flakes right into the scoop and not into piles on the ground?
Bill Harris
From todsay's update at the Phoenix website: http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/07_01_pr.php :
The robotic arm on Phoenix used the blade on its scoop to make 50 scrapes in the icy layer buried under subsurface soil. The robotic arm then heaped the scrapings into a few 10- to 20-cubic centimeter piles, or piles each containing between two and four teaspoonfuls. Scraping created a grid about two millimeters deep.

No mention of the rasp. The Space.com article was a bit, uh, spacey. smile.gif

--Bill
Stu
Interesting detail visible in the trenches now...

Click to view attachment
centsworth_II
I still don't see any obvious white patches of ice like those in Goldilocks.
jmknapp
Dodo-Goldilocks from Sol 36, simple composite of RGB channels:

Could anyone tell me how to get these images to appear in the reduced/click-to-enlarge view?
Tesheiner
> Could anyone tell me how to get these images to appear in the reduced/click-to-enlarge view?

There might be other ways but the one I know is by posting the picture as an attachment instead of including it as an image.
hortonheardawho
sol 34-36 R1abc pan of Wonderland:

The R1 images were registered and colored with the 1/2 size RA, RB, RC images of the same area.

This will have to do until full resolution, full filter sequences are done.
elakdawalla
Oh, that's very nice, horton!

--Emily
teck
What is this worm like feature?
Form Sol 37

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
I see no worms, just shadows
(check the time of sol for each image in the sequence and you will see that the sun moves from phoenix' perspective)

cheers
Stu
Something caught my eye in a new 3D image I've just made... down at the bottom there... look like eroded "plates" of material of some kind..?

Click to view attachment

chris
Stu,

You beat me to it. I was about to mention that.

Chris
Bill Harris
Any CLUE as to what raw images these are? "plates2b.jpg" doesn't tell us diddly. wink.gif

--Bill
Stu
Sorry, should have explained...

"plates2b"

"plates" = I thought they looked like plates of material, so I called the image "plates"

"2" = it was my second version of the 3D image; the first was ruined when I cropped it.

"b" = a smaller size version of the original, so it didn't chew up too much space on UMSF...

Simple really.

wink.gif

But if you want to be all technical about it, here you go...

http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS037ESF899...5_1420EL2M1.jpg
http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS037ESF899...9_1420ER2M1.jpg

tongue.gif

nprev
Hmm...evaporite crusts? Maybe there's a chunk of ice just below that spot that gets warm enough to sublimate on occasion.
Bill Harris
Simple

Thanks.

--Bill
Stu
Hmmm... looking at a 3D made from a different pair of images, taken earlier in the mission, those "plates" look more like cracks in a crusty layer to me... interesting...

Click to view attachment

I'll track down the actual raw images so that anyone who wants to take a look for themselves can do; haven't got them to hand 'cos these were just stored on my computer to make a 3D pic with, sorry.

Edit: here you go... found 'em...

http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS025EFF898...2_1305EL1M1.jpg
http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS025EFF898...2_1305ER1M1.jpg

Stu
Another 3D image that a few of you might enjoy wandering around... have to admit I'm fascinated by that big hole-ridden chunk on the left there... smile.gif
Bill Harris
Any CLUE as to what raw images these are? A "holey-chunka" doesn't tell us diddly about the source image... wink.gif

--Bill
Stu
What's wrong with "holey chunka"? If the Phoenix team can call their features after fairy tale characters I think "holey chunka" is pretty good! laugh.gif

Here you go Bill...

http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS036EFF899...4_11E1EL1M1.jpg
http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS036EFF899...4_11E1ER1M1.jpg

Don't say I never give you anything wink.gif

P.S. "Holey Chunka"... like it smile.gif
Stu
"Midgard" in 3D... lots and lots of holes...

Click to view attachment
Aussie
Hortonheardawho did an extremely clear x-eye on this rock Stu. Hope he does not object to my linking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hortonheardaw...in/photostream/

Do we have any idea what type of rock this is? It does look similar to wind erosion I have observed on sandstone.
Stu
I think this rock, "Midgard" (apparrently, in Norse myth, Midgard was the defensive fortress which the gods build about the middle portion of the earth allotted to men in order to protect mankind from the giants) is one of my favourites seen on Mars so far...

Midgard

nprev
If I had to guess, I'd say Midgard is igneous; a leftover from magma with a lot of gas in solution. There are many similar rocks around V2. IIRC, the northernmost volcanic construct thus far identified on Mars is at or above 60 deg north latitude.
SickNick
QUOTE (teck @ Jul 3 2008, 11:38 PM) *
What is this worm like feature?
Form Sol 37

Click to view attachment

I think what you're seeing is a string of pebbles along the joins between polygons. It tends to "snake" across the ground a bit, but is, of course, static on our timescale. A lot of strings of pebbles, and other dry, dusty "channels" exist in this patterned ground...
Ant103
A view of the pad, a solar pannel and ground near it on Sol 38 :

Ant103
Two another pictures smile.gif
The deck on Sol 39 :

And a cobble field :

Anaglyph :

nprev
Beautiful as always, Ant, thank you! smile.gif

There sure seem to be a lot of rocks with vesicles mixed in with other types whose pedigree seems less clear. Probably the entire geological history of Mars is to be found here, but it's been thoroughly mixed up by frost upheaval.

Just for fun, let's look for pieces of ancient seabed... wink.gif
hortonheardawho
July 4, 2008 on the planet Mars:

THought I would turn this into a postcard as a tribute to the Independence day of many who were responsible for this endeavor.
Shaka
Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
mars.gif
CosmicRocker
Bravo, hortonheardawho! That was excellent. But if it were my lab bench, I'd be reaching for a broom to tidy the area up. wink.gif

Shaka: I hope I found an accurate transcription of that historic speech. I think it might be worth replaying, as it contains some noteworthy thoughts...

Address at Rice University on the Nation's Space Effort

Delivered in person by John F. Kennedy, Houston, Texas
September 12, 1962

President Pitzer, Mr. Vice President, Governor, Congressman Thomas, Senator Wiley, and Congressman Miller, Mr. Webb, Mr. Bell, scientists, distinguished guests, and ladies and gentlemen:

I appreciate your president having made me an honorary visiting professor, and I will assure you that my first lecture will be very brief.

I am delighted to be here and I'm particularly delighted to be here on this occasion.

We meet at a college noted for knowledge, in a city noted for progress, in a State noted for strength, and we stand in need of all three, for we meet in an hour of change and challenge, in a decade of hope and fear, in an age of both knowledge and ignorance. The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds.

Despite the striking fact that most of the scientists that the world has ever known are alive and working today, despite the fact that this Nationıs own scientific manpower is doubling every 12 years in a rate of growth more than three times that of our population as a whole, despite that, the vast stretches of the unknown and the unanswered and the unfinished still far outstrip our collective comprehension.

No man can fully grasp how far and how fast we have come, but condense, if you will, the 50,000years of manıs recorded history in a time span of but a half-century. Stated in these terms, we know very little about the first 40 years, except at the end of them advanced man had learned to use the skins of animals to cover them. Then about 10 years ago, under this standard, man emerged from his caves to construct other kinds of shelter. Only five years ago man learned to write and use a cart with wheels. Christianity began less than two years ago. The printing press came this year,and then less than two months ago, during this whole 50-year span of human history, the steam engine provided a new source of power.

Newton explored the meaning of gravity. Last month electric lights and telephones and automobile sand airplanes became available. Only last week did we develop penicillin and television and nuclear power, and now if Americaıs new spacecraft succeeds in reaching Venus, we will have literally reached the stars before midnight tonight.

This is a breathtaking pace, and such a pace cannot help but create new ills as it dispels old, new ignorance, new problems, new dangers. Surely the opening vistas of space promise high costs and hardships, as well as high reward.

So it is not surprising that some would have us stay where we are a little longer to rest, to wait. But this city of Houston, this State of Texas, this country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them. This country was conquered by those who moved forward--and so will space.

William Bradford, speaking in 1630 of the founding of the Plymouth Bay Colony, said that all great and honorable actions are accompanied with great difficulties, and both must be enterprised and overcome with answerable courage.

If this capsule history of our progress teaches us anything, it is that man, in his quest for knowledge and progress, is determined and cannot be deterred. The exploration of space will go ahead,whether we join in it or not, and it is one of the great adventures of all time, and no nation which expects to be the leader of other nations can expect to stay behind in the race for space.

Those who came before us made certain that this country rode the first waves of the industrial revolutions, the first waves of modern invention, and the first wave of nuclear power, and this generation does not intend to founder in the backwash of the coming age of space. We mean to be a part of it--we mean to lead it. For the eyes of the world now look into space, to the moon and to the planets beyond, and we have vowed that we shall not see it governed by a hostile flag of conquest, but by a banner of freedom and peace. We have vowed that we shall not see space filled with weapons of mass destruction, but with instruments of knowledge and understanding.

Yet the vows of this Nation can only be fulfilled if we in this Nation are first, and, therefore, we intend to be first. In short, our leadership in science and in industry, our hopes for peace and security, our obligations to ourselves as well as others, all require us to make this effort, to solve these mysteries, to solve them for the good of all men, and to become the world's leading space-faring nation.

We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the United States occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war. I do not say the we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours.

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

It is for these reasons that I regard the decision last year to shift our efforts in space from low to high gear as among the most important decisions that will be made during my incumbency in the office of the Presidency.

In the last 24 hours we have seen facilities now being created for the greatest and most complex exploration in man's history. We have felt the ground shake and the air shattered by the testing of a Saturn C-1 booster rocket, many times as powerful as the Atlas which launched John Glenn, generating power equivalent to 10,000 automobiles with their accelerators on the floor. We have seen the site where the F-1 rocket engines, each one as powerful as all eight engines of the Saturn combined, will be clustered together to make the advanced Saturn missile, assembled in a new building to be built at Cape Canaveral as tall as a 48 story structure, as wide as a city block, and as long as two lengths of this field.

Within these last 19 months at least 45 satellites have circled the earth. Some 40 of them were "made in the United States of America" and they were far more sophisticated and supplied far more knowledge to the people of the world than those of the Soviet Union.

The Mariner spacecraft now on its way to Venus is the most intricate instrument in the history of space science. The accuracy of that shot is comparable to firing a missile from Cape Canaveral and dropping it in this stadium between the the 40-yard lines.

Transit satellites are helping our ships at sea to steer a safer course. Tiros satellites have given us unprecedented warnings of hurricanes and storms, and will do the same for forest fires and icebergs.

We have had our failures, but so have others, even if they do not admit them. And they may be less public.

To be sure, we are behind, and will be behind for some time in manned flight. But we do not intend to stay behind, and in this decade, we shall make up and move ahead.

The growth of our science and education will be enriched by new knowledge of our universe and environment, by new techniques of learning and mapping and observation, by new tools and computers for industry, medicine, the home as well as the school. Technical institutions, such as Rice, will reap the harvest of these gains.

And finally, the space effort itself, while still in its infancy, has already created a great number of new companies, and tens of thousands of new jobs. Space and related industries are generating new demands in investment and skilled personnel, and this city and this State, and this region, will share greatly in this growth. What was once the furthest outpost on the old frontier of the West will be the furthest outpost on the new frontier of science and space. Houston, your City of Houston, with its Manned Spacecraft Center, will become the heart of a large scientific and engineering community. During the next 5 years the National Aeronautics and Space Administration expects to double the number of scientists and engineers in this area, to increase its outlays for salaries and expenses to $60 million a year; to invest some $200 million in plant and laboratory facilities; and to direct or contract for new space efforts over $1 billion from this Center in this City.

To be sure, all this costs us all a good deal of money. This yearıs space budget is three times what it was in January 1961, and it is greater than the space budget of the previous eight years combined. That budget now stands at $5,400 million a year--a staggering sum, though somewhat less than we pay for cigarettes and cigars every year. Space expenditures will soon rise some more,from 40 cents per person per week to more than 50 cents a week for every man, woman and child in the United Stated, for we have given this program a high national priority--even though I realize that this is in some measure an act of faith and vision, for we do not now know what benefits await us. But if I were to say, my fellow citizens, that we shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall, the length of this football field,made of new metal alloys, some of which have not yet been invented, capable of standing heat and stresses several times more than have ever been experienced, fitted together with a precision better than the finest watch, carrying all the equipment needed for propulsion, guidance, control,communications, food and survival, on an untried mission, to an unknown celestial body, and then return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour,causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today--and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out--then we must be bold.

I'm the one who is doing all the work, so we just want you to stay cool for a minute. [laughter]

However, I think we're going to do it, and I think that we must pay what needs to be paid. I don't think we ought to waste any money, but I think we ought to do the job. And this will be done in the decade of the sixties. It may be done while some of you are still here at school at this college and university. It will be done during the term of office of some of the people who sit here on this platform. But it will be done. And it will be done before the end of this decade.

I am delighted that this university is playing a part in putting a man on the moon as part of a great national effort of the United States of America.

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.

Thank you.
bcory
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jul 5 2008, 04:46 PM) *
Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
mars.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYb_mhiE-qU
bcory
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 6 2008, 01:19 AM) *
Bravo, hortonheardawho! That was excellent. But if it were my lab bench, I'd be reaching for a broom to tidy the area up. wink.gif

Shaka: I hope I found an accurate transcription of that historic speech. I think it might be worth replaying, as it contains some noteworthy thoughts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTyYM-dUgCI...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfhIjI_N1Pk...feature=related
AndyG
Interesting too, to note that the NASA budget is still less than that spent domestically on tobacco and cigarettes. This Wikipedia page contains more than a few facts to sway those who continue to believe that space science is not cost-effective...as Doug has pointed out before, all those dollars are spent on Earth.

Andy
Ant103
Hi smile.gif

Littles pictures made recently wink.gif

A field of cobbles :

And the Dodo&Goldilocks trench :
Oersted
QUOTE (bcory @ Jul 6 2008, 09:02 AM) *

thanks bcory for posting the links to the video of the full speech!

Never knew that Kennedy made a joke just before his famous line about "going to the Moon because it is hard". See for yourself in the very last minute of the video in the first link above...
Stu
Wouldn't you just love to reach down and pluck this little guy off the ground and take a closer look..?

Click to view attachment
Shaka
I'd like to hold him down and RAT his rind off first!
cool.gif
glennwsmith
We may raise some eyebrows with all of this Kennedy stuff, but the fact is that the the project of "sending a man to the moon and returning him safely to the earth before the end of the decade" [sorry about the sexism] was really one of the two or three cultural pillars of the 60's. Humans are never so happy as when they have a shared goal, and Kennedy understood that. Perhaps a good project for all of us geniuses at UMSF would be to articulate a new goal for space exploration -- and it could be unmanned/robotic -- that would be as compelilng as Kennedy's vision in 1961. I realize that this is precisely what the best minds at NASA/JPL/etc. have been agonizing over for these many months and years -- but hey, we're good! And it is more than interesting that UMSF brings an international perspective to the question.
jekbradbury
EDIT - deleted (my own) post that may have violated Guidelines
bcory
QUOTE (Oersted @ Jul 6 2008, 06:11 PM) *
thanks bcory for posting the links to the video of the full speech!

Never knew that Kennedy made a joke just before his famous line about "going to the Moon because it is hard". See for yourself in the very last minute of the video in the first link above...

You're welcome.

Yes the Rice vs. Texas university football joke

I liked his double joke later on in part 2 about how hot it was that day at Rice Field

"re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour,causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today--and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out--then we must be bold.

I'm the one who is doing all the work, so we just want you to stay cool for a minute. [laughter]"
Pavel
QUOTE (jekbradbury @ Jul 6 2008, 10:16 PM) *
One goal: to make the Earth obsolete. That is, prove that humankind and the Earth need not always go together. Mars can sustain us. Venus can sustain us. Asteroids can sustain us. The moon may be able to sustain us. Can we sustain ourselves?

I'm not sure Earth can sustain us anymore unsure.gif
Stu
Couple of views from the latest release...

"Puff and Big Ship" (Hey, I don't choose the names! wink.gif )

Meander... (3D)
SickNick
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jul 7 2008, 03:55 AM) *
A field of cobbles :

Interesting to see that these aren't just random stones lying on the surface. They have a semi-regular spacing, a preferred orientation (approx at 90 degrees to the shot) and are more worn on the right hand side - these are Ventifacts - worn by aeons of wind action. With a bit of work, a geologist could begin to date the surface age from the amount of erosion, and a climatologist compare the modern and palaeo winds...

Australia has vast areas of what we call "Gibber Plain" or stony desert - a surface armour of pebbles protects the sand and dust from wind erosion. Here on Mars we have a similar aeolian process, plus a slow churning of the soil through polygon formation - be it freeze-thaw or just thermal expansion and contraction plus some vapour state diffusion and sublimation.

Mars is an interesting place...
imipak
A friend (from the UK) who did a stint as a flying doctor in the said the colloquial name is "GAFA" -- Great Areas of not very much wink.gif

these aren't just random stones lying on the surface.

Would that unidirectional wind be the seasonal wind blowing off the polar ice cap in (presumably) the spring?

A question that's been nagging away at me for weeks: is it possible that the slow churning of water and/or CO2 ice could "suck" rocks away from the underlying bedrock and transport them to the surface? (And do we have any idea how thick the ice layer is, anyway?) My uneducated guess would be not, as otherwise the surface layer of rocks and regolith would be much thicker; but then, we don't know the rates of erosion and transport away from this location, either. I've been trying to picture how these chunks of rock came to be lying just here. Presumably some will be impact and/or volcanic ejecta that happened to fall here, but surely not all of it. What about the rest? Dust and very small grains can blow or saltate here, but how did the large chunks become detached from the parent body and come to be lying on top of this layer of ice?

Ah, speculation... I can't help myself sometimes wink.gif
QUOTE (imipak @ Jul 7 2008, 11:08 AM) *
A question that's been nagging away at me for weeks: is it possible that the slow churning of water and/or CO2 ice could "suck" rocks away from the underlying bedrock and transport them to the surface? (And do we have any idea how thick the ice layer is, anyway?) My uneducated guess would be not, as otherwise the surface layer of rocks and regolith would be much thicker; but then, we don't know the rates of erosion and transport away from this location, either.

Wikipedia: Patterned ground

In periglacial areas and areas effected by seasonal frost, repeated freezing and thawing of groundwater literally forces larger stones toward the surface as smaller soils flow and settle underneath larger stones. At the surface, areas that are rich in larger stones contain much less water than highly porous areas of finer grained sediments. These water saturated areas of finer sediments have a much greater ability to expand and contract as freezing and thawing occur, leading to lateral forces which ultimately pile larger stones into clusters and stripes. Through time, repeated freeze-thaw cycles smooth out irregularities and odd-shaped piles to form the common polygons, circular, and stripes of patterned ground.

Adjust for local Mars conditions.

vikingmars
rolleyes.gif Here is a mosaic showing the Phoenix workspace... It reminds me the Viking old times... Enjoy ! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Decepticon
Im confused!? Why has digging stoped?

Can't they go any deeper?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.