Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Storm
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Aussie
I believe that they had to shut down some heaters (including the Mini TES) during the first winter to stop a negative power budget caused by the defective arm joint heater . The Mini TES survived so the design must have a decent fudge factor.
Ant103
Hello,

To follow CosmicRocker, this is an animation who show the last month of Themis data about the storm :
Click to view attachment
(I've added Spirit and Oppy's location)
nprev
Beautiful work, Ant...clearly illustrates that Oppy got it first & worst. sad.gif

(OT here, but it appears that we have a bit of a Matt Groening-inspired avatar party going on this thread!)
Zeke4ther
Another update on Opportunity here . Things may be getting a little worse.
Keep you fingers crossed

elakdawalla
That's just a repost of yesterday's press release.

--Emily
Zeke4ther
I thought it read kind of like a re-hash huh.gif mad.gif . But it seemed to have some new stuff....Oh well.
Your Blog is at The Planetary Society is way more interesting and informative.

Thanks Emily.
fredk
New sol 1250 Oppy pancams up on exploratorium. I guess this means that today's expected communication session was a success, and Oppy hasn't yet dropped into low power fault mode. I wonder what the array levels are...
imipak
Re-reading this quote from John Callas on the fine Planetary Society blog (which I was not checking daily until reading this thread, despite being a member -- an omission I have now corrected) I had a small & rare positive thought:

"...If there is not sufficient energy, Opportunity will stay asleep. Depending on the weather conditions, Opportunity could stay asleep for days, weeks or even months, all the while trying to charge her batteries with whatever available sunlight there might be."

( http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00001055/ )

So I'm thinking ahead, say, 40 Sols. Suppose the worst happens -- the heaters trip, the batteries discharge and boom, it's lights out, goodnight Vienna, right? Ah but wait... suppose the panels are covered by a thin layer of dust fallout. As luck would have it, this gets puffed off by a passing not-a-dust-devil... the batteries begin to trickle charge once more and a few days later (as the old sailor's song goes...) "Wa-hey, up she rises" wink.gif

So the question is, how long do you carry on looking for a signal? More to the point, how long do the actual JPL team carry on looking for a signal? Actually, that now starts to look like a rather less positive scenario - Oppy clings to life, bravely recovers, calls home - and is ignored...

huh.gif

[quick edit: argh-confounded-pseudo-tags!]
djellison
I think Pathfinder is a good basis on which to guestimate that... several weeks of daily efforts. Then a few weeks of less-regular efforts, and then a occasional, perhaps once a week, efforts for a couple of months.

Doug
Stu
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 2 2007, 09:04 PM) *
several weeks of daily efforts. Then a few weeks of less-regular efforts, and then a occasional, perhaps once a week, efforts for a couple of months.

Oh no no no no no no no.... I couldn't go through those dark "Earth to Beagle, Beagle come in please..." days again...

(This topic gets the award for 'Most Depressing For A Long Time" I reckon...)
climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 2 2007, 10:23 PM) *
(This topic gets the award for 'Most Depressing For A Long Time" I reckon...)

Yep, and already over 41000 hits in less than a month. I guess it's a record, isn't it ?
sad.gif
Reckless
Hi all

I remember those pathfinder days of watching and waiting, imagining that Sojourner was driving round and round the Sagan memorial station in the hope of getting a signal.
These days of waiting out this storm are bad but not as bad as back then .......yet

Watching and waiting with you lot pancam.gif

Roy
Mark Adler
QUOTE (imipak @ Aug 2 2007, 12:57 PM) *
So the question is, how long do you carry on looking for a signal? More to the point, how long do the actual JPL team carry on looking for a signal? Actually, that now starts to look like a rather less positive scenario - Oppy clings to life, bravely recovers, calls home - and is ignored...

In this case, you'd have to be more active than just looking for a signal. You would likely have to send commands to get the rover to transmit.

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 2 2007, 01:04 PM) *
I think Pathfinder is a good basis on which to guestimate that... several weeks of daily efforts. Then a few weeks of less-regular efforts, and then a occasional, perhaps once a week, efforts for a couple of months.

How long and how hard you try is directly related to how futile you think your efforts are. In the case of Pathfinder, after a week or two they were pretty convinced it was futile. In the outlined scenario, there is good reason for hope for as long as there is limited light. Once you've had a few weeks with what appears from orbit to be good sunlight, then you'll start thinking futility. Even then, you might figure that you're just waiting for that wind gust to clear off the panels.

The other constraint on how long you try is money. Commanding every day can be made relatively cheap by having the procedure be completely routine. One mission controller could send commands and listen for a beep every sol, or every few sols. One other person on the project could have a small additional duty to generate the Earth times at which to do that and schedule the mission controller shifts and DSN antennas. The project will be funded for about year after the end of mission anyway for data analysis and archiving, so a little commanding every now and then to search for a lost rover would probably be considered worthwhile.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. Naturally the rovers will come out of this storm fully operational. They're tough little buggers.

Mark
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Mark Adler @ Aug 2 2007, 06:48 PM) *
Naturally the rovers will come out of this storm fully operational.

Thank you Mark for that upbeat note. As a taxpayer who advocates for continued funding of these kinds of projects that's the attitude I like to hear. You guys and your project is money well spent.
fredk
Thanks for the insights, Mark.

A bit of humour on Lemmon's site:
OK, I had to virtually come in to resolve a problem handling the B/1252 downlink--but that's OK, since it means there was a B/1252 downlink.
Some numbers too. Oppy still at 4.7 (1250), Spirit down to 3.9 (1271).
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Reckless @ Aug 2 2007, 05:45 PM) *
...Watching and waiting...
This is totally OT, but those words are one of my favorite verses from an ancient Moody Blues song. They were particularly poignant to me in these dark times.

QUOTE (Mark Adler @ Aug 2 2007, 09:48 PM) *
... They're tough little buggers. ...
My sentiments, exactly. Thanks for noting that. smile.gif

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 2 2007, 10:28 PM) *
... Some numbers too. Oppy still at 4.7 (1250), Spirit down to 3.9 (1271).
...and those appear to be pancam Tau measurements, not estimates based on panel output. I'm trying to correlate these numbers to the published Themis images, which we seem to get earlier than the every-three-days Oppy data. I'll go way out on a limb and say Opportunity will see some improvement on sol 1251, but that's as far as I'll guess.

Another bit of humor from the good doctor's site was, "Never planned this to be a long list ... ." biggrin.gif

Don't worry.
Be happy.

"They're tough little buggers." Damn tough, in my opinion...
nprev
I'm very impressed by the quite well thought-out recovery procedures, both on the ground & aloft; pretty robust systems engineering for a 90-day mission! smile.gif

Mark, silly question: How much voltage is required to hold the flash memory, and is there a little teeny backup battery dedicated to this function?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 2 2007, 10:45 PM) *
Mark, silly question: How much voltage is required to hold the flash memory, and is there a little teeny backup battery dedicated to this function?

Flash memory requires no power at all to retain its contents.
djellison
Updated
nprev
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 2 2007, 11:20 PM) *
Flash memory requires no power at all to retain its contents.

Really! smile.gif Good news, thank you...gotta research this. Wondering right now why we even bother with FPGAs, then, unless this is a related technology and/or flash is rad-vulnerable.

Doug, thanks for the update...not great news, but guess it could definitely be worse.
akuo
I'm wondering why the turning on of the emergency heaters would be so bad? Is it so that they cannot be otherwise turned on, except automatically when the low temperature limit is reached? Is there a particular reason to run other electronics instead of the heaters, which I would think would be most efficient in warming the WEB?
mchan
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 3 2007, 12:57 AM) *
Wondering right now why we even bother with FPGAs, then, unless this is a related technology and/or flash is rad-vulnerable.

For high logic element density, SRAM-based FPGA's have advantage over non-volatile FPGA such as anti-fuse. SRAM-based FPGA's are typically configured from a separate flash device so you can power off your board and the FPGA will reconfigure from the flash after power is restored. Over the last few years, lower density FPGA's have been introduced with an integrated flash to store the FPGA configuration. These are typically targeted at replacing larger CPLD's.

For rad-hard, anti-fuse based FPGA's are sometimes or even usually used. The disadvantage is you only get to burn one configuration. You need a new part if you want a new configuration. With SRAM-based FPGA's, you can change the configuration up to 100,000 times by reprogramming the flash.
Oren Iishi
I remember reading somewhere that the rover had small Uranium heaters installed at critical position in the rover to keep them at an acceptable temperature. Does anyone know what good these heaters can do in these dire straits?
djellison
There are 8 of them as I understand it - 6 on the battery, 2 on the REM. They each chuck out abotu 1W of heat. They've been doing so since the day they landed - and - except for decay - will carry on doing so for some time to come. Essentially they're there making a bad situation slightly less bad than it might be. they wont keep an entirely dead rover warm enough for survival - they just shave a bit off the heating requirements.
tedstryk
Here are both HST July observations (July 23 and 27).

ugordan
Uranium heaters? Pardon me for being ignorant here, but what isotope would that be? U-233, 235 and 238 all have very low specific heat output as I remember.
fredk
Plutonium. From this press release:
Each rover has eight radioisotope heater units that supplement electric heaters for keeping batteries and electronics within their operating temperature ranges. The radioisotope heater units use the decay heat from plutonium-238. Each of them provides about one watt of heat. They aid the rovers' survival on very low-power days and through cold nights, though the electric heaters are also necessary.
Eight watts over 24 hours gives 192 Whrs per sol. If most of that heat is useful rather than waste, that's actually a very significant addition to the array output these sols!
ugordan
Yep, that sounds about right. Plutonium-238 dioxide, the same stuff as commonly used in RTGs.
Del Palmer
QUOTE (akuo @ Aug 3 2007, 10:42 AM) *
I'm wondering why the turning on of the emergency heaters would be so bad? Is it so that they cannot be otherwise turned on, except automatically when the low temperature limit is reached? Is there a particular reason to run other electronics instead of the heaters, which I would think would be most efficient in warming the WEB?

It all comes down to how much heat you need versus how much heat you can afford. Consider the following analogy: If your room temperature in winter is 11 C, and the minimum you can personally tolerate is 13 C, you may be able to reach 13 C by just leaving your computer and CRTs on for longer periods. Switching on a heater will bring the room up to a much more comfortable 18 C, but at a hefty cost.
akuo
QUOTE (Del Palmer @ Aug 3 2007, 03:26 PM) *
If your room temperature in winter is 11 C, and the minimum you can personally tolerate is 13 C, you may be able to reach 13 C by just leaving your computer and CRTs on for longer periods. Switching on a heater will bring the room up to a much more comfortable 18 C, but at a hefty cost.

Continuing your analogy, why not use the heater to bring it up to 13 degrees C if that's all you need? Which is really my question, don't they have control over the heaters except for the emergency situation triggered by the low temperature? I would think using the heaters would be more efficient in heating the WEB than eg. running the processor.
helvick
From a thermodynamic point of view all of the means of heating would be the same since all of the energy gets dissipated as heat eventually (assuming we're talking about stuff happning within the WEB at any rate).

Given that, it would seem (to me) to be better to use the electronics systems to heat themselves where possible as the heat in question would be distributed directly through the thing you most want to heat up and you get the benefit of the other work at the same time.
Del Palmer
QUOTE (akuo @ Aug 3 2007, 04:41 PM) *
Continuing your analogy, why not use the heater to bring it up to 13 degrees C if that's all you need? Which is really my question, don't they have control over the heaters except for the emergency situation triggered by the low temperature? I would think using the heaters would be more efficient in heating the WEB than eg. running the processor.

The survival heaters are thermostatically controlled - you can't bring them on until they reach the critical low, and turning them off would require Deep Sleep mode (something that's not possible during the day).
Del Palmer
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 3 2007, 03:14 PM) *
There are 8 of them as I understand it - 6 on the battery, 2 on the REM. They each chuck out abotu 1W of heat. They've been doing so since the day they landed - and - except for decay - will carry on doing so for some time to come. Essentially they're there making a bad situation slightly less bad than it might be. they wont keep an entirely dead rover warm enough for survival - they just shave a bit off the heating requirements.

Oh, they do more than just shave a bit off the heating requirements. It's a sobering thought to consider that without the RHUs, the rovers wouldn't even have been able to last 90 Sols due to depleted batteries.
Chmee
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Aug 3 2007, 10:46 AM) *
Here are both HST July observations (July 23 and 27).

Hey who took our Mars and put this imposter in its place? It looks like a cue ball smile.gif
That storm is amazing. Although tthe rovers are struggling, I think we are garnering much new information by having 'ground-truth' on this.
ustrax
QUOTE (Chmee @ Aug 3 2007, 08:28 PM) *
I think we are garnering much new information by having 'ground-truth' on this.

I'm avoiding to visit this thread since its beggining, call it a defensive procedure, but I must agree with you, this possiblity of gathering local knowledge about martian storms by the rovers is another jewel to the crown of glory of this mission.
nprev
Oh, no doubt about it; this storm may well prove to be the primary engineering/environmental data acquistion triumph of the MERs with respect to future lander mission designs, at least the solar-powered ones.

Of couse, as the dust settles it will be clinically interesting to see if it affects any other systems, particularly moving parts...though I suspect there won't be any effects since the MER team hasn't missed a beat yet with respect to contingency planning & design. (You guys are just unbelievable! smile.gif)
MarsIsImportant
QUOTE (Chmee @ Aug 3 2007, 02:28 PM) *
Hey who took our Mars and put this imposter in its place? It looks like a cue ball smile.gif
That storm is amazing. Although tthe rovers are struggling, I think we are garnering much new information by having 'ground-truth' on this.

If there was any doubt that this is a global dust event, then it should be gone now. Both images show an extremely dusty atmosphere; yet, the second one clearly shows that the intensity of the storm has maintained and spread considerably further over the entire planet within 4 or 5 days. There are only a few spots relatively dust free now. And relative is a pretty inaccurate term here...like basically maybe the pole! Yet even the pole seems slightly obscured in the 27 July image.
tedstryk
QUOTE (MarsIsImportant @ Aug 3 2007, 09:11 PM) *
If there was any doubt that this is a global dust event, then it should be gone now. Both images show an extremely dusty atmosphere; yet, the second one clearly shows that the intensity of the storm has maintained and spread considerably further over the entire planet within 4 or 5 days. There are only a few spots relatively dust free now. And relative is a pretty inaccurate term here...like basically maybe the pole! Yet even the pole seems slightly obscured in the 27 July image.

I wouldn't go that far. It isn't the same face of the planet, and the south polar cap isn't properly aligned with the south pole, so it may simply be closer to the limb.
imipak
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 3 2007, 09:58 PM) *
....the MER team hasn't missed a beat yet with respect to contingency planning & design. (You guys are just unbelievable! smile.gif)

Yes, amazing resilience, so far anyway!

I think it's interesting that the widely-quoted minimum power requirements of 280-ish Whr is clearly *not* the minimum, and that the engineering team don't seem particularly surprised by that(?) (In this 2004 post by Helvick the 280Whr figure is attributed to Steve Squyres.)

BTW -- this will be old news for the experts here, but I just came across this interesting doc from a JPL "MER Thermal Design workshop" in 2002, which shows the heaters alone as requiring 172 Whr/day (page 22.)
raketmensch
QUOTE (imipak @ Aug 4 2007, 07:26 AM) *
I think it's interesting that the widely-quoted minimum power requirements of 280-ish Whr is clearly *not* the minimum, and that the engineering team don't seem particularly surprised by that(?) (In this 2004 post by Helvick the 280Whr figure is attributed to Steve Squyres.)

BTW -- this will be old news for the experts here, but I just came across this interesting doc from a JPL "MER Thermal Design workshop" in 2002, which shows the heaters alone as requiring 172 Whr/day (page 22.)

But minimum survival power should depend on environmental conditions, which vary. It'd be greatest for Spirit in the winter, when temperatures are coldest. It'd be considerably less in the summer. And it'd be least of all (fortunately!) during a dust storm, when nighttime temperatures are moderated by all the dust in the atmosphere. So I think that any quoted minimum power requirement (or power draw by the survival heaters) has to be considered in the context of the conditions on Mars at the time.
abalone
I'd be interested to know what the temperature of the electronics box would stabalise at at this time of the Mars season with no heaters on at all.

Los Alamos' Pu-238 Science and Engineering (NMT-9) Group made eight lightweight radioisotope heater units each for the Spirit and Opportunity rovers. Each of the 16 units contains just under one-tenth of an ounce of plutonium, and each pumps out a continuous one watt of heat as the plutonium decays.

http://www.lanl.gov/news/index.php/fuseact...y/story_id/4763

The radioisotope heater units provide about 200wh of heat /day. In the worst case it may be best to let the electronics boxes just stay cold for a few days if its not too much below -40Deg C. The heating and cooling cycle must surely put more strain on them than if they just cool down once.
jamescanvin
Quite a bit of activity planned for the upcoming sol B1254 - even some pancam colour! Got to keep those electronics warm.

CODE
01254::p1299::01::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_hazcam_loco_pri_61
01254::p1399::00::2::0::0::2::0::4::rear_hazcam_loco_pri_62
01254::p1550::01::2::0::1::0::0::3::navcam_tau
01254::p1585::00::4::0::4::0::0::8::navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
01254::p1913::02::6::0::0::6::0::12::navcam_3x1_rvr_az_0_el_neg45_loco
01254::p2128::01::3::3::0::0::1::7::pancam_cal_targ_L257
01254::p2351::12::6::0::0::6::1::13::pancam_soria_1x2_L257
01254::p2631::01::11::0::0::0::2::13::pancam_sky_spot_L234567R34567
01254::p2687::15::4::4::0::0::4::12::pancam_wide_range_tau
01254::p2687::15::4::4::0::0::4::12::pancam_wide_range_tau

P.S. I don't know how long they have been there, or if it has been mentioned here before in my absence, but I noticed some long range planning in the database. rolleyes.gif wink.gif

CODE
01369::p1561::06::0::0::0::0::0::0::Unexpected sequence!!!!
01463::f0006::00::0::0::0::0::0::0::fs_commanded(eg_sunfind,autonav)
04216::p2619::08::0::0::0::0::0::0::Unexpected sequence!!!!

James
fredk
Sol 4216! I like the sound of that! laugh.gif

Seriously, there's a new themis map. If I'm oriented correctly, it appears to show considerable clearing over Oppy! However, I've been meaning to ask - am I interpretting these images correctly, that the upper map of the pair that I linked to is an interpolation based on the individual measurements shown in the lower map? If so, the sampling is pretty sparse, which has got to add a lot of uncertainty unless we happen to sample right on top of Oppy.
CosmicRocker
Woohoo! I guess they have some power to burn thanks to Oppy's latest, probably transient, clearer skies. The storm is still not showing any signs of waning.

fredk: I am sure the upper map is an interpolation of the lower data set. That kind of data interpolation will always be a bit of an art.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 4 2007, 05:03 PM) *
Quite a bit of activity planned for the upcoming sol B1254 - even some pancam colour! Got to keep those electronics warm.

CODE
01254::p2351::12::6::0::0::6::1::13::pancam_soria_1x2_L257

This is another take of a sequence already shot on sol 1234. It would be interesting to see the differences.
djellison
A few new figures from Mark.

Doug
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 4 2007, 06:36 PM) *
Sol 4216! I like the sound of that! laugh.gif

Phoenix will land on Oppy Sol ~ 1557
MSL will land on Oppy Sol ~ 2350-2400
and Sol 4216 will be by end of july 2015 ...
biggrin.gif
Tman
It looks like the trend is broken at last!

Hope there isn't still latent a longer one.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 5 2007, 01:09 PM) *
This is another take of a sequence already shot on sol 1234. It would be interesting to see the differences.

Berries on the move. blink.gif ohmy.gif

Click to get full res (5.2Mb) from my website. (First update in 6 months!)

James
Pavel
There is little movement of the blueberries in the undisturbed area. Disturbed blueberries do move considerably. But there is one undisturbed place where something strange is going on. It looks like the soil is pushed up from an underground fissure.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.