Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Storm
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
djellison
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 26 2007, 05:33 AM) *
Per the latest map, it appears that opacity has improved somewhat for both rovers.

Per the rovers - the condition has been just about static for 7 sols.

Doug
fredk
Latest from Lemmon's site has Oppy down to
4.1 (to sol 1243, when my estimate would have been 4.5-4.7 from array energy!), better on 1244.
And
The later Opportunity numbers are clearly overestimates, *possibly* indicating dust on arrays.
Spirit, on the other hand, is up to 4.7 on 1265.

That sol 1243 Oppy measurement which is not based on array energy comes from these pancam observations, which are the first images from Oppy since sol 1235, if I'm keeping track correctly.
Burmese
Does anyone know what, if any, effect these dust storms have on the local temperature swings? On Earth they are capable of both lowering the midday high temps ( by blocking the sun) as well as raising the overnight lows by preventing heat from radiating out into space.
djellison
As per the viking results posted earlier in this thread - it reduces the max, increase the min.

Doug
CosmicRocker
The TES on MGS measured temperatures and dust levels during the 2001 dust storm. On this page they note that atmospheric temperatures increased more than 20 degrees C.
As the dust has expanded the atmosphere has warmed dramatically, reaching temperatures more than 20C higher than pre-storm levels. The warming in the southern hemisphere is due to direct heating of the dust as it absorbs sunlight. This warm air rises moves across the equator into the northern hemisphere, much as warm air rises in the tropics on Earth and moves to the sub-tropics where it descends to create the Earth's hot, dry desert zones. As a result, the martian atmosphere is warming in the northern hemisphere in advance of the expanding dust storm.
hendric
Can the dust warming the atmosphere cause it to expand enough to reduce the lifetimes of the orbiters?
climber
QUOTE (hendric @ Jul 26 2007, 08:48 PM) *
Can the dust warming the atmosphere cause it to expand enough to reduce the lifetimes of the orbiters?

... and a complementary question, do we know if any of previous orbiters (Mars xxx, Mariner 9, V1 & V2) already hit the planet or when they'll do so ?
CosmicRocker
It sounds as if the atmospheric temperature effects of a dust storm are probably more complicated than they initially appeared. This article about the 2001 storm talks about the suspended dust warming the upper atmosphere while the planet's surface is chilled.

As the Sun warms the airborne dust the upper atmospheric temperature has been raised by about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This abrupt onset of global warming in Mars' thin atmosphere is happening at the same time as the planet's surface has chilled precipitously under the constant dust shroud.

As for the possibility of an expanding atmosphere increasing the drag on orbiters, I'd guess there is at least some increase. Hopefully it is minor. That same article said the Mars Odyssey team was assuming it would impact their aerobraking maneuvers that were about to take place.

This storm is being closely watched by the team operating NASA's 2001 Mars Odyssey spacecraft, which is heading toward a rendezvous with the Red Planet later this month. The Odyssey team plans to "toe-dip" its way into the Martian atmosphere, gradually deepening its pass through the atmosphere until the desired drag levels are found. A warm atmosphere "puffs up," creating more drag on the spacecraft.
fredk
A few new details in this new press release:
Power output from Opportunity's solar panels has climbed above 200 watt hours per day, compared with daily levels as low as 128 watt hours last week.

Opportunity has resumed measurements of how obscured the sun is. These had been suspended for several days to save power. The new measurement included in Thursday's downlink indicates slight clearing. However, some dust has freshly settled onto the solar panels, lessening the increase in power output.
CosmicRocker
That explains why we have a few new tau pancams from Oppy. That was one of the most informative releases in a while. smile.gif Damn that settling dust. mad.gif
djellison
Updated. Guessing the last two Oppy figures.
kungpostyle
An update at space.com

http://www.space.com/news/070727_rovers_update.html
Del Palmer
QUOTE (climber @ Jul 26 2007, 09:22 PM) *
... and a complementary question, do we know if any of previous orbiters (Mars xxx, Mariner 9, V1 & V2) already hit the planet or when they'll do so ?

Estimates I've read suggest that Mariner 9 will come down in 2022, V1 and V2 orbiters in 2025, and MGS in 2046.
slinted
Here's the mp3 of todays NPR Science Friday interview with Jim Bell, discussing the storm (mixed in with a discussion about Phoenix with Dave Spencer)
elakdawalla
Unfortunately, Flatow introduced it by saying that the current storm is "the worst dust storm ever recorded on the red planet" -- which is far from the truth, according to Mark Lemmon. It's the worst dust storm ever recorded by the rovers, perhaps, but as planetary storms go, it's not one of the biggest.

--Emily
CosmicRocker
slinted: Thanks for pointing out that entertaining broadcast.

Can anyone clue me in to the story behind the caller Brian's question about whether water on Mars was of the H2O or the HOH variety? laugh.gif Was the caller asking about free water, hydration water in minerals, or OH- radicals, or did he really think there are chemically different kinds of water?

I hate to say it, but that was not a terribly informative program.
slinted
The most recent MER PDS release included updated tau figures covering sols 1 - 1080 for both rovers. To put a little perspective on the current storm, here's the data from the first 1080 sols together with the current tau data from Mark Lemmon's page.

Opportunity:

Spirit:

Combined (please excuse the mess I made out of this one...there's a lot of data in there):

The y-axis is tau, using the 880nm data from the PDS. The x-axis is Ls (Solar Longitude...each Mars year is one 0-360 cycle). Since the rovers landed at nearly the end of a Mars year, the data actually begin with the short, purple line at the far right of each graph. Also, there is a gap during the current year between the end of the PDS data (sol 1079) and the beginning of Dr. Lemmon's storm coverage over on the dust devil page.
belleraphon1
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 28 2007, 01:23 AM) *
Can anyone clue me in to the story behind the caller Brian's question about whether water on Mars was of the H2O or the HOH variety? laugh.gif Was the caller asking about free water, hydration water in minerals, or OH- radicals, or did he really think there are chemically different kinds of water?

I wondered the same thing and then it hit me. I think this guy was using the term "water" as meaning ANY
molecular substance that is in the liquid phase. Under that definition the "water" might be liquid CO2, or liquid CH4, etc.

Craig
mars loon
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 28 2007, 05:23 AM) *

I had the same thought about alternatives as you described above as I listened to the program. Sadly there was no clarification to the caller Brian's question. But my impression (which may be completely wrong) was he thought there were chemically different forms of water. perhaps he was thinking about isotopes, D2O?
mars loon
QUOTE (slinted @ Jul 28 2007, 06:52 AM) *
To put a little perspective on the current storm, here's the data from the first 1080 sols together with the current tau data from Mark Lemmon's page.

The x-axis is Ls (Solar Longitude...each Mars year is one 0-360 cycle). Since the rovers landed at nearly the end of a Mars year, the data actually begin with the short, purple line at the far right

Slinted, this is quite an excellent compilation of the data, Thank you!

the point is well made !! although I am a bit color blind so its hard to see some lines. But that is of lesser importance. perhaps it would be helpful if you could add the seasons in the x-axis?

in fact I would like to use your graph in some upcoming Mars talks in the fall 2007 in Florida and the NE US.

thanks

ken
helvick
Ken,

There's no real need to relable the axis - Slinted's use of LS makes it straightforward.

LS=0 NH Spring\SH Autumn Equinox
LS=71 Martian Aphelion
LS=90 NH Summer\SH Winter Solstice
LS=180 NH Autumn\SH Spring Equinox
LS=251 Martian Perihelion
LS=270 NH Winter\SH Summer Solstice

More info here.
Tesheiner
I've been off on vacations biggrin.gif biggrin.gif and now it's my time to read all that happened to our brave rovers during this period. Not too much, it looks, and I'm glad to know that they are in good shape.

QUOTE (AndyG @ Jul 24 2007, 02:05 PM) *
So now the question would be, once this storm's abated, do the Opportunity planners take a dip into Victoria, with the risk of getting caught somewhere less pleasant towards the end of a potential 50-60 day window, or sit still for two months with at least the potential for no more bad weather (is storm #2 chance or certainty?) and the risks that accompany an aging rover?

Assuming no damage is detected as a result of this down-period, I have only two concerns for Opportunity:

1) Dust deposition on the solar arrays
2) I think we are still weeks from seeing her taking a dip into Duck Bay and the local season won't be the best one.

OT:
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 24 2007, 11:02 AM) *
Well - I think it is - what's the actual file name of any one of the three files involved? Somewhere out there ( and I can't find it now..grrr) is a website where you drop the file name in and it converts it to the information for you. That - or using MMB - will tell you when the image was taken.

I use "rawid" (google for it) to extract the timestamps and other data from the filenames. But to make the things more convenient, I have a "rawid.bat" on my desktop containing just:

@rawid %1
@pause

You simply have to drop an image file on it and, voila, the results pop-up on a separate window.
tedstryk
Here is a false color view from Hubble (the filters to do true color were not available) on July 23, 2007.
It looks bad, but not as thick as 2001, which is in line with a lot of other reports.

Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
Where'd you get the data? ohmy.gif

--Emily
tedstryk
http://archive.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/proposal_...st&id=11314

I think the reason it was released right away was that the images were taken as a calibration activity for MARCI, and calibration images (understandably) generally don't get the year-long proprietary status.
nprev
Wow...thanks, Ted! ohmy.gif

Yeah, it's still pretty bad. I dragged out the 'scope this morning & couldn't even see any dark surface markings with averted vision, just a little orange ball. Even here in downtown LA I can usually pick out something...but not today. sad.gif
fredk
Oppy's still with us - she's sent home some navcams and pancams, including solar pancams for sols 1246 to 1249. We should soon have accurate taus for these sols.
ilbasso
Wow, the shadow is still very indistinct...but at least it's there.
akuo
Old image. It's from sol 1233.
fredk
Lemmon says Spirit has crept down to 4.2 on sol 1269, but Oppy has crept back up to 4.7 (1249). 4.7 is the highest we've been, as far as direct tau measurements (solar pancam) go.

The thought of dust accumulation is making me nervous. I wonder what array power levels are like recently. I'd think that the difference between what power your atmospheric model tells you you should receive based on the tau, and the actual measured array power should tell you how much dust is on the arrays. But there's got to be uncertainty there, since your model may get the indirect scattered light wrong at these high tau's.

I guess one way around this could be to do a series of shots of the sky in various directions to characterize the brightness of the scattered light. Probably not likely with power as tight as it is now.
djellison
Added more dots.

Doug
elakdawalla
Since nobody seems to have picked up on these I thought I'd point out the visualizations of recent tau images (animations and multiple images) from both rovers that I posted today. Jim kindly provided me with RADs to work with so the calibration is correct. There have been more tau images since I got these from Jim, so these are a few days old, but still interesting...

Spirit

Opportunity

--Emily
mars loon
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 31 2007, 01:47 AM) *
Since nobody seems to have picked up on these I thought I'd point out the visualizations of recent tau images (animations and multiple images) from both rovers that I posted today. Jim kindly provided me with RADs to work with so the calibration is correct. There have been more tau images since I got these from Jim, so these are a few days old, but still interesting...

Emily,
I did see your very nice updated work this afternoon and the earlier version. In fact I'd like to use them at several talks I'm presenting soon in Florida and the NY area. The animations and graphs will help tell a vivid adventure story. thank you. ken
stevesliva
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 30 2007, 09:47 PM) *
Since nobody seems to have picked up on these...

Oh, you'd better believe we notice. I sort of just assume everyone else hits up your blog each day. In this instance, the visuals are very impressive.
CosmicRocker
We noticed your work, Emily. Anyone who is anyone has an rss link to your blog on their home page. The visitor location map is a nice addition, too. smile.gif
CosmicRocker
In case some were wondering where the rovers were in the midst of this storm, here is a crude attempt to align the MARCI map to THEMIS.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jul 31 2007, 06:31 AM) *
I sort of just assume everyone else hits up your blog each day.

Good assumption. biggrin.gif
abalone
Emily
fantastic way to make the changes easy to interpret.
elakdawalla
OK, noted smile.gif Sorry to be redundant!

--Emily
Pando
Here's an awesome graph showing tau seasonal comparisons for Viking and MER (from Dr. Lemmon's website).

I think what's striking is the correlation of this year's MER data to the previous year, and then comes the dust storm...

Floyd
The current storm and the major Viking storm also correlate in starting about Ls 270. If the current storm follows the graph, then tau should be below 1.5 in about 25 sols. Hopefully we will be good by the end of August. smile.gif
fredk
I get around 50 sols, until Ls = 320 or so when the Viking storm ended. Did you use the number of days in an earth year instead of sols in a mars year?

Anyway, it sounds like these storms vary a lot, so we can hope it'll end sooner, and pray it doesn't end much later... unsure.gif
fredk
Some discouraging news for Oppy. Lots of details about low energy procedures in this update.
belleraphon1
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 30 2007, 09:47 PM) *
Since nobody seems to have picked up on these

Emily, everyone on this forum checks your blog multiple times a day.
Great visualizations...... thanks for all the hard work you do!!! We all appreciate it.

Yeah, fredk,,, that last update is scary..... but these rovers have proven mighty hard to shut down.
Ain't over yet.

Craig
CosmicRocker
Well, that wasn't the greatest news, was it?

Don't worry.
Be Happy.

Even if these overachieving rovers meet their doom in this Martian weather, they've returned data about more amazing discoveries than anyone could have ever expected. We are at least an order of magnitude beyond what any reasonable person could have confidently expected from them, and we should see the next Mars explorer to launch in a few days. What more could you ask for?

We can see from that update that the MER team is on top of the situation. For the other optimists out there, that interesting correlation Pando posted from Dr. Lemmon's site suggests we can hope for a future improvement. cool.gif I wouldn't write these robotic explorers off, just yet.
MarsIsImportant
I wouldn't write these rovers off just yet either. Just because they are approaching the lower temperature limit for safety does not mean we are going to lose the rover. It's possible that they will still survive intact. It's also possible that they will survive but minus some instrumentation. What parts are likely to blow? I don't know. But I doubt we would lose the whole rover.
lyford
I may be wrong, but the way I read that part was that the threat was being power negative, that the heaters would still come on as long as they could....

Not sure which is the bigger threat - damage from freezing or damage from battery depletion. unsure.gif
Marcel
A rover with a depleted battery can still wake up when it's electronics are still intact
A rover with a broken processor is dead.

I wonder how cold the core can get before real damage occurs. There's probably a quit large margin between the trigger temp of the heaters (-40 c) and the temp that makes silicon and conductors non functional. We're used to more examples of unbelievable durability and surprises of survival capabilities of the hardware.....

Can't sleep...... unsure.gif
imipak
QUOTE (Marcel @ Aug 1 2007, 07:45 PM) *
I wonder how cold the core can get before real damage occurs. There's probably a quit large margin between the trigger temp of the heaters (-40 c) and the temp that makes silicon and conductors non functional.

As I understand it, the problem isn't that the electronics stops working if it gets too cold - it's that thermal contraction may physically break PCB traces, soldered connections etc. (Quick edit to say - no idea what that temperature might be but presumably at design time you put the "emergency life-saver" heaters as close as you can the the lowest certified operating temperature for those systems. Of course there's no knowing how over-spec'd they may turn out to be...)
CosmicRocker
Yeah, thermal contraction of the physical circuits is what I thought they were concerned about.

We got another Themis 9 micron opacity map today. Although I can see some improvement in the latest image, it appears that this storm is still quite dynamic, and not obviously dying out. This is a little animation of the 3 most recent Themis maps. Opportunity is the yellow dot near the center, and Spirit is near the yellow dot on the far right side. About all most of us can do at this point is keep our fingers crossed.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.