Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bottomless Bay
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tesheiner
Time for a new tread.

Bottomless Bay is on sight on these fresh sol 1016 pics!

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2006-12-02/

Edited: Added this quick & dirty mosaic.
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Yup. Great view across Bottomless Bay to Cape B1. smile.gif pancam.gif

Click to view attachment

James
Tesheiner
Opps, you beat me with the panorama. smile.gif

BTW, has Cape B1 an official name?
jamescanvin
I'm sure it does, but I don't think we know it yet. A sequence name on the tracking site will probably tell us in the next day or so (unless and insider wants to chip in wink.gif )

James
jvandriel
Added one image. biggrin.gif

The L0 Navcam panoramic view on Sol 1016.

jvandriel
Phil Stooke
Here's a polar version of jvandriel's half-pan:

Click to view attachment

Phil
Phil Stooke
Here is the next cape, with shadows brightened a bit so see what lies in them. Not very exciting yet - pancams will be better.

Phil

Click to view attachment
mhoward
Sol 1016 equirectangular
Nirgal
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 3 2006, 05:09 PM) *
Here is the next cape, with shadows brightened a bit so see what lies in them. Not very exciting yet - pancams will be better.

here is a quick colorization as a foretaste of the pancams smile.gif
Click to view attachment

(don't have the time at the moment to do the whole pan, though ....)
Oersted
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 3 2006, 05:09 PM) *
Not very exciting yet - pancams will be better.

Phil

How quickly we have gotten used to the views at Victoria Crater... smile.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 3 2006, 07:04 PM) *
I'm sure it does,

Well I was wrong, SS said in his Planetary Soc. interview that it hadn't been named and in the tracking site schedule for tosol (1019) lists the observation as just:

CODE
01019 p2436.08 12  0   0   12  1   25   pancam_bottomless_bay_ne_L257R2
jamescanvin
Oh wow! ohmy.gif smile.gif

Click to view attachment

EDIT: Replaced with a more accurate projection.

James
MarkL
The views keep getting better. Thanks James. Again, we're seeing very clear striation on these wind scoured rock faces. They are also incredibly smooth, like they've been sandblasted over eons by a very steady and patient wind.
Tesheiner
Given the planned sequences for sol 1019 I initially thought it was driving day. It wasn't.

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 6 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Agree 100%!
hendric
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 6 2006, 05:08 AM) *

James

Did anyone else notice this little bit of Martian Graffiti? smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Translation:

Earthlings drool, Martians rule!
MahFL
You'd have to have bad eyesight to miss it, it jumps out and says "LOOK HERE"......smile.gif
pancam.gif
Gray
I'll add a few off-the-cuff observations and comments. It looks as if the breccia layer is a little bit thinner here. Perhaps the rate of wind abraion is a bit greater here; or was less breccia deposited?
The lower layer looks as if it still contains large cross-beds. It's not an astounding observation, but it's worthy to note that we're able to trace what is apparently the same layer across two or three bays.
There is some evidence of relatively recent erosion in the form of a rubble pile that rises high up along the middle part of the cliff. It is associated with a distinct cleft in the cliff. Again, not astounding, but it suggests that mass wasting is an on-going process.

By the way those are fantastic images. Thanks to all.
mhoward
90 degree perspective view northeast, just for perspective...

CosmicRocker
I don't recall anyone noting the look-back images of the Beacon from sol 1015. My apologies if I missed someone's post about this. They were downsampled images. I have been pretty much overwhelmed by the flood of data from Mars recently. Gigabyte sized images from HiRise of our favorite parts of the planet, both rovers moving, and now some exciting news of recent changes observed on the planet. Wow. smile.gif

Some down-sampled images from sol 1015 included a look-back at the Beacon from the other side. It appears more prominent from this direction, does it not? Hand stitched, because my other software complained...
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view from Sol 1015.

Taken with the L1 pancam.

jvandriel
climber
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Dec 7 2006, 07:15 AM) *
I don't recall anyone noting the look-back images of the Beacon from sol 1015.

First time since we discovered it that we move AWAY from the Beacon : it will be soon on the FAR Rim biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ...
Pool is opening again wink.gif
Floyd
pancam.gif Images from opportunity are a bit late showing up today sad.gif
Martial
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Dec 7 2006, 11:54 AM) *
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view from Sol 1015.

Taken with the L1 pancam.

jvandriel

JVandriel,
Your panoramic are always very interesting, but what's a pity they always are so tinyjava script:emoticon(':unsure:', 'smid_15')
unsure.gif
djellison
That was an albedo pan ( i assume tied in with the MRO HiRISE obs ) - so the frames are downsized to begin with. And I for one am glad they're small...backing up this forum has gone from a 1.2 gig operation to > 2 gig almost entirely due to the huge number of attachments that are being uploaded recently.

Doug
chris
Doug,

You may need a HiCapacity backup device.

Chris
djellison
HiDrive smile.gif

Thing is - I'll fill it with HiSTUFF . smile.gif
Jeff7
QUOTE (Floyd @ Dec 7 2006, 10:03 AM) *
pancam.gif Images from opportunity are a bit late showing up today sad.gif

Odyssey's safe moded, possibly from some unrest on the sun. It should be back online in a few days.
Thread link
Nirgal
a quick false-color panorama:

Click to view attachment
Stu
The usual high standard Nirgal, very pleasing to the eye indeed. Victoria - the crater that just keeps giving and giving...! biggrin.gif

I really want a close look at "Hoy" tho... keep going Oppy, keep going...
kungpostyle
another data pinch

http://athena.cornell.edu/news/mubss/
jvandriel
Here is my coloured version of the L2 Pancam view

on Sol 1019.

jvandriel
jvandriel
and the L2 Pancam view in the drive direction

on Sol 1019.

jvandriel
jamescanvin
Since the Odyssey safe mode seems to have thrown a spanner in the works as far a images MER images are concerned, we'll have to make do with what we have. So here is the Bottomless Bay mosaic with luminosity from the full resolution L2 and colour from the L257 64x64 thumbnails. pancam.gif smile.gif

James
dilo
Excellent work, James!
I taken the freedom to sharpen the luminance channel of this mosaic, lot of details are now visible:
Tesheiner
FYI, one of the pancam shots planned (and hopefully taken) on sol 1021 is named "Islas Baleares".

01021 p2438.08 6 0 0 6 1 13 pancam_islas_baleares_L257

I'm pretty sure some of you know them or have already been there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balearic_Islands

imipak
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 12 2006, 09:47 AM) *

Good to see the Gecko looking so chilled and happy! As it happens, one of those islands hosts a popular club called "Space". I'm sure there's a moral in there somewhere...

The details of the cross-bedding emerging are fantastic. Do I remember someone (Steve Squyres? I've heard a lot of Steve lately, what with Doug's interview, the lecture, the radio programme. I'm spoiled!) mentioning cross-bedding as indicative of dunes, as opposed to running water? Or is it the case that it's consistent with both, but that festoon cross-bedding is (one indicator) that it has to be running water, as opposed to aeolian deposits? Looking at the size of the most obvious examples, I can more easily imagine wind-driven sand /dunes/ than watery sand /banks/. (And we all know what a great guide uneducated intuition is to these sorts of things.. smile.gif
Floyd
Some new hazcams and navcams are down at Exploratorium smile.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 12 2006, 08:47 PM) *
FYI, one of the pancam shots planned (and hopefully taken) on sol 1021 is named "Islas Baleares".

01021 p2438.08 6 0 0 6 1 13 pancam_islas_baleares_L257

I'm pretty sure these are the Islas Baleares (from the sol 1016 navcams)

Click to view attachment

James
PDP8E
A story on New Scienctist about a blueberries at victoria

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn10...lueberries.html

Steve is heavily quoted

~pdp8
Shaka
"a bathtub-ring of blueberries"
blink.gif

Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice simile.

cool.gif
CosmicRocker
That's the same darn blueberry image we argued about earlier. Remember the discussion of cone-shaped berries versus spherical? SS has also used the bathtub ring analogy (I think it is a great analogy) several times previously to describe the concept that the concretions diminished in size and possibly disappeared altogether as Opportunity climbed in elevation, and probably stratigraphically, above an ancient water table.

I think it was a decent article, but it is mostly recycled information from other sources.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 14 2006, 11:27 PM) *
I'm pretty sure these are the Islas Baleares (from the sol 1016 navcams)

Thx for pointing that. They are much smaller then their terrestrial equivalents. biggrin.gif
fredk
Looking across Bottomless Bay in long baseline 3D. L2 pancams from sol 1019 and 1021:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Stu
Imagined sunset at Bottomless Bay...

Click to view attachment
Floyd
Stu, very nice!

Has anyone put together the complete navcam pan for 12/15 or did I just miss it in another thread?
jvandriel
Panorama from Sol 1028. Taken with the L0 navcam.

As soon as the other images are down, I will complete

the panorama.

jvandriel
ustrax
QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 16 2006, 12:21 AM) *
Looking across Bottomless Bay in long baseline 3D. L2 pancams from sol 1019 and 1021:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Everyone providing a "local" look into into Mars deserves a Xmas present...
That includes you...
Come up with your best wishes! smile.gif
...And thank you! biggrin.gif
mhoward
Couldn't resist...

Phil Stooke
Here is jvandriel's pan on polar form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Stretching Autostitch to the limit and added 1 image.

Panorama taken on Sol 1021 and 1023 with the

R0 Navcam.

jvandriel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.