Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bottomless Bay
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
climber
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jan 8 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Here is the view in the drive direction on Sol 1051.
Taken with the L2 Pancam.
jvandriel

That's exciting! A Cape lower than the others will allowed a nice "from the sky" view.
I also notice that we get closer to the horizontal terrace were "caves" could be located on the east-southern part of VC.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Jan 8 2007, 03:39 PM) *
Here is the linked images from the map.

Pretty nice idea! I like it.

Just saw the plan for the next sols and there are more image targets before moving ahead (btw, no driving plan yet). I'll keep the basemap updated in the mean time.

QUOTE (climber @ Jan 8 2007, 08:35 PM) *
That's exciting! A Cape lower than the others will allowed a nice "from the sky" view.

I'm wondering if some of the outcrops visible at the top of cape C1-C2 are part of the "bright layer" we saw at Duck Bay and also at Bottomless Bay.
dilo
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Jan 8 2007, 03:39 PM) *
Thanks Tesheiner.
Here is the linked images from the map.

This is wonderful! ohmy.gif
I'm amazed by this work, my wild dream is now about entire Mars atlas like this... rolleyes.gif
Thanks and congratulations!
Shaka
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 8 2007, 10:19 AM) *
Just saw the plan for the next sols and there are more image targets before moving ahead (btw, no driving plan yet).

Right, Tesh, do the codes tell you what is happening at Catarina. I hope we're Ratting and doing spectroscopy; I'm aching to see what's under the dust.
Shaka
QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 8 2007, 10:44 AM) *
I'm amazed by this work, my wild dream is now about entire Mars atlas like this... rolleyes.gif

You bet, Dilo. A year ago I was urging JPL/NASA to put together the whole MER missions like this, with nested hot links to all the data. If they don't get a move on, Horton may beat them to the punch! cool.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jan 9 2007, 10:19 AM) *
Right, Tesh, do the codes tell you what is happening at Catarina. I hope we're Ratting and doing spectroscopy; I'm aching to see what's under the dust.

Well I'm not Tesh, but as a fellow tracking site gazer I think I can tell you what we know.

The most resent front hazcams are from sol 1049 and are listed as

CODE
f_haz_idd_mb_doc_512x512x1bpp_vhigh

So I think we can be fairly sure that Oppy is in the process of doing a lengthy Mössbauer integration on Santa Catarina at the moment. Just more pancam targets for tosol so looks like there is still a while to go yet...

James
fredk
I wonder what the latest status is on this problem, from the latest update:
During a routine imaging session on New Year's Day (sol 1045), Opportunity detected a stall in the grind motor of the rock abrasion tool. Subsequent diagnostic tests found no obstructions. More diagnostics were planned for sol 1049 (Jan. 5, 2007).
nprev
Random (& probably completely unoriginal) thought here, but what are the odds that a significant fraction of ALL the cobbles Oppy has seen in Merdiani are actually meteorites? After all, the richest 'meteorite-mining' areas on Earth are North Africa & Antarctica, which both feature homogeneous, fine-grained native surface materials.

If this conjecture is accurate, then Meridiani may be a true scientific treasure trove in yet another sense.
alan
Pancam site's version of Bottomless Bay.

http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_...omless_bay.html
climber
QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 9 2007, 04:18 AM) *
Random (& probably completely unoriginal) thought here, but what are the odds that a significant fraction of ALL the cobbles Oppy has seen in Merdiani are actually meteorites? After all, the richest 'meteorite-mining' areas on Earth are North Africa & Antarctica, which both feature homogeneous, fine-grained native surface materials.

If this conjecture is accurate, then Meridiani may be a true scientific treasure trove in yet another sense.

You know, this one/month "big" crater formation detected by MGS could lead to quite a lot of "smaller size" meteorids to fall on Mars frequently. The surface of Mars is quite undisturbed for eons, so, a place like Meridiani with only a few natives rocks around should be a paradise, you're right. I wonder if we can put these two issues together and start some statitics of meteroids numbers from small to crater-doing size.
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 9 2007, 06:28 AM) *
You know, this one/month "big" crater formation detected by MGS could lead to quite a lot of "smaller size" meteorids to fall on Mars frequently. The surface of Mars is quite undisturbed for eons, so, a place like Meridiani with only a few natives rocks around should be a paradise, you're right. I wonder if we can put these two issues together and start some statitics of meteroids numbers from small to crater-doing size.

I wonder if there are areas on Mars where meteorites naturally get concentrated? The edges of the northern polar cap, etc?

Bob Shaw
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jan 9 2007, 03:12 AM) *
So I think we can be fairly sure that Oppy is in the process of doing a lengthy Mössbauer integration on Santa Catarina at the moment. Just more pancam targets for tosol so looks like there is still a while to go yet...

Agree. It's also noted on the last status report:

OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Opportunity Studies Unusual Rocks on Rim of 'Victoria Crater' - sol 1043-1048, January 05, 2007:

Opportunity continued scientific studies of a rock called "Santa Catarina" on the rim of "Victoria Crater." Scientists suspect that Santa Catarina may be a meteorite or a rock blasted out from beneath the surface of Victoria. Opportunity collected extensive measurements to determine the iron content of the rock using the Mössbauer spectrometer and will continue to do so during the coming week.

Here is an updated "map" of the targets on the current site. Did some corrections too, because I thought all names were related to cities but few of them are of Santa Catarina's rivers.

Click to view attachment
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 9 2007, 10:02 AM) *
Here is an updated "map" of the targets on the current site. Did some corrections too, because I thought all names were related to cities but few of them are of Santa Catarina's rivers.

There's a Mafra in Brasil Tesh? That I didn't knew...
The original is 20kms from my house and surely (more even if you've read Saramago's Baltasar and Blimunda) deserves a visit...

EDITED: Of course...I suspected...there's also a Sintra in Brasil... smile.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jan 9 2007, 11:31 AM) *
There's a Mafra in Brasil Tesh? That I didn't knew...

Yup. wink.gif

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafra_%28Santa_Catarina%29

Edited: To be fair, when I first saw the target's name I though in Portugal's Mafra, but then I said to myself "what if" ... and bingo!

If they keep the current naming pattern we may find one of these in the following sols before moving for good.
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 9 2007, 11:47 AM) *
If they keep the current naming pattern we may find one of these in the following sols before moving for good.

Be honest...You'd bite a meteorite to have Porto Alegre up there wouldn't you?... smile.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jan 9 2007, 01:32 PM) *
You'd bite a meteorite ...

... or two. laugh.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 9 2007, 10:02 AM) *
Agree. It's also noted on the last status report:

I don't see "Videira" and "Chapeco" there, are they out of the image range?
Tesheiner
They were expected to be imaged on sol 1048 but there are no data downlinked for that sol. Might be on the queue or perhaps aborted.

CODE
01048 p2553.17 13  13  0   0   2   28   pancam_videira_L234567Rall
01048 p2554.17 13  13  0   0   2   28   pancam_chapeco_L234567Rall

Edited: Re-planned to be imaged on sol 1053.

CODE
01053 p2562.17 13 13  0  0  2 28   pancam_videira_L234567Rall
01053 p2563.17 13 13  0  0  2 28   pancam_chapeco_L234567Rall
hortonheardawho
[quote name='Tesheiner' date='Jan 9 2007, 08:58 AM' post='79819']
They were expected to be imaged on sol 1048 but there are no data downlinked for that sol. Might be on the queue or perhaps aborted.

Mafra and Peixe 3D links now added to the Map.

Er, does anyone find it interesting that target Peixe is named after a river?
djellison
Nothing strange about naming it after a river - we've splattered the names of lakes all over Gusev.

Doug
Stu
Broken-up-on-impact meteorite?

Click to view attachment
Floyd
Looks to me like it’s just a dead crow.

Floyd
tty
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jan 9 2007, 07:30 PM) *
Looks to me like it’s just a dead crow.

Floyd

West Nile virus strikes Mars!
Tesheiner
Updated the polar map with the latest targets "Videira" and "Chapecó".
hortonheardawho
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 10 2007, 04:10 AM) *
Updated the polar map with the latest targets "Videira" and "Chapecó".

Videira and Chapeco links added to Polar Map
Tesheiner
Just checked the planned sequences for sol 1055 (tomorrow): MI and drive. Finally!
Edited: I'll bet for a 30m drive eastwards up to the rim, next to Bay of Toil.

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

No new imaging targets on the plan.
Shaka
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 10 2007, 11:28 PM) *
Just checked the planned sequences for sol 1055 (tomorrow): MI and drive. Finally!

Is the MI sequence of S. Catarina where it was ratted?
After all the portraits of ejecta float in the surroundings, one might expect a close-up look at one or two. That could depend on what Catarina showed, I suppose. Bedrock is fundamentally more informative than float. I still wonder whether we are driving across in situ, though fractured evaporite or jumbled ejecta.
fredk
Apparently the final word on Santa Catarina from the latest update:
After wrapping up scientific studies of a rock called "Santa Catarina" on the rim of "Victoria Crater," Opportunity determined, based on analysis of the iron content, that the rock is probably a meteorite. Nearby cobbles appear to have similar composition, based on data from the Mössbauer spectrometer, panoramic camera, and miniature thermal emission spectrometer.

Also an update on the rat problem:
Also on sol 1049, Opportunity performed additional diagnostic tests of the grinding motor that operates the rock abrasion tool. All signs point to a failed encoder. Rover handlers must now invent a new strategy for using the brush and grinder that does not rely on the encoder to sense when the device comes into contact with a rock surface. Team members anticipate they will be able to use the rock abrasion tool again in a few weeks.
CosmicRocker
Darn, I should have kept my mouth shut when I previously said it didn't look like any meteorite I've seen. I guess it's some variety of chondrite. Could someone knowledgeable of meteorites chime in?
Stu
If we're talking about the same rock (I've lost track a bit) I'm sure I first suggested it was a meteorite somewhere in the "Victoria Stratigraphy" thread soon after it was spotted... I can't claim to be knowledgeable, but it did ring a bell... and that "Dead Crow" looks even more like a shattered meteorite now, too... smile.gif
nprev
According to Steve's latest Athena site update, (and thanks to Bobby for the heads-up! smile.gif ) he states that Santa Catarina is the "fifth one [meteorite] we've found". Was he referring to Oppy alone, or also including Spirit? I only recall the "Iron Basketball" way back near the heatshield.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.