Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updated Titan Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
ugordan
QUOTE (alan @ Oct 27 2007, 08:19 PM) *
Some new images of Titan were taken on October 22. They cover the lowest resolution area on the latest Titan maps.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=130136

And here's a quazi-flatfielded version of that image along with a really dodgy enhancement:

Edit: updated with a slightly better enhanced image.
Floyd
Maping question. For locked moons, is 0 degrees on the maps the direction towards Saturn? What is the convention for this sort of thing? Hope this is not too stupid a question.
scalbers
Yes that is how I understand it with zero degrees longitude towards Saturn...
JRehling
QUOTE (Floyd @ Nov 18 2007, 06:52 AM) *
Maping question. For locked moons, is 0 degrees on the maps the direction towards Saturn? What is the convention for this sort of thing? Hope this is not too stupid a question.

That's the convention everywhere from Luna to Charon. Given nutation, etc., the details may be more complicated, but that's the gist.
Phil Stooke
That is indeed the basic idea, but because of orbital eccentricity etc which makes the sub-planet point move around a bit the actual zero point is defined relative to a specific feature on the surface. That has not yet been done for Titan. The feature in question does not have to be on zero longitude, but zero is measured relative to it.

Phil
dilo
Hey Gordan, what do you think of this further enhancement of your last version? I see a lot of details, are they real?
Click to view attachment. For comparison, this is the original RAW jpeg:Click to view attachment
Floyd
Thank you for the responses to my map question. Floyd
rlorenz
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 18 2007, 01:55 PM) *
That is indeed the basic idea, but because of orbital eccentricity etc which makes the sub-planet point move around a bit

Yeah - Subsaturn point wobbles back and forth about 3 degrees in longitude over the course of an orbit.
This all assumes strictly synchronous rotation - turns out that may not quite hold (see my DPS
abstract) - may be a bit of a seasonal swing in longitude too - so things may get a little complicated.
dvandorn
Here's a question that seems appropriate in this context:

What is thought to be the primary cause of nutation in planetary moons? Is it gravitational, and does nutation by gravitational perturbance require a body to be significantly non-homogenous? Or is it thought to be remnant motion imparted by large impacts? Or is it a range of influences, no one of which can be cited genercially as "primary"?

I ask because while you might expect to see impact-related nutation on a scarred body like the Moon, you don't seem to see large basins on Titan whose formation could have been expected to toss a body out of kilter...

-the other Doug
edstrick
Planetary photojournal released a nice tif format 80 degree (approx.) phase titan pic yesterday.
I ran a bandpass filtering on it to being out every last bit of surface detail in the data.
The atmosphere seems to be pretty featureless in this band, though there's general east-west diffuse streakiness in the north <less visible in the south> at high lattitudes.
alan
Will the CICLOPS map page be updated this month?
http://ciclops.org/maps.php
Doc
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 19 2007, 09:23 AM) *
I ask because while you might expect to see impact-related nutation on a scarred body like the Moon, you don't seem to see large basins on Titan whose formation could have been expected to toss a body out of kilter...

-the other Doug

Perhaps there USED to be a basin but has been literally wiped of the face of Titan.
Imagine trying to identify the Chicluxub crater (the Dinosaur killer?) here on Earth from space using such imagery as those being produced by Cassini.
Not as easy as it seems, eh?
DrShank
on a related topic, does anyone have or knowlocation of a Titan Radar Planning chart showing
swath locations? most curious where the 4-year tour mapping coverage will get us to...
paul
Exploitcorporations
I'm not sure where I stumbled across this a while back, but here's an old map of the planned RADAR swaths (looks like early 2005):

Click to view attachment
Exploitcorporations
Using VP's awesome new map, we can revisit PIA09035. All those noodles are starting to make me hungry.

Click to view attachment
ugordan
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Jan 11 2008, 01:59 PM) *
I'm not sure where I stumbled across this a while back, but here's an old map of the planned RADAR swaths (looks like early 2005):

That looks like Joe Knapp's map of planned coverage. The thing is, any one of those swaths could have been flipped (look direction from left to right and vice versa) and I'm pretty sure some have actually been flipped to look at some interesting regions.
Decepticon
I just wanted to clarify if all radar swath for the north polar region have been released?
helvick
Didn't want to create a new topic for this but some bloke has created a very nice vector map of Titan's largest northern sea and has a couple of questions about it that I'm sure there are folks here who know the answer.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm a sucker for nautical\coastline maps like these and even at a basic level like this having someone make one for a sea on an entirely different world is pretty cool.
volcanopele
I posted an answer to his question on his blog. He'll need to approve it for it to show up.
scalbers
Greetings,

Here is a version of Titan made using the second most recent official IR release, with Gordan's image from post #151 added on top.

Click to view attachment

This map, plus the radar overlay one from Jason's web site (see post 165) will be interesting to view with Science On A Sphere.

Steve
David
QUOTE (scalbers @ Jul 12 2008, 04:41 PM) *
Greetings,

Here is a version of Titan made using the second most recent official IR release, with Gordan's image from post #151 added on top.

Is it possible to pinpoint the Huygens landing site on this map?
titanicrivers
"Is it possible to pinpoint the Huygens landing site on this map?"
Look at this image of combined VIMS and DISR views of the landing site.
Click to view attachment
Go back to the map and in the center Click to view attachmentyou'll see the same light dark configuration (just east of Adiri) of the landing site.

titanicrivers
Zooming in a bit further on the landing site!
Click to view attachment
Juramike
QUOTE (David @ Jul 12 2008, 11:08 AM) *
Is it possible to pinpoint the Huygens landing site on this map?

In addition to the images posted above by titanicrivers:

Check out this post (Huygens Landing Site data, post#13) for ISS and RADAR views of the Huygens Landing Site

And this post (Huygens Landing Site data, post#8) shows a zoom of the T8 RADAR Swath at the Huygens Landing Site location.

Hopefully soon (cross fingers, touch wood, nudge gently) there will be better views released from some of the more recent RADAR passes.

-Mike
Juramike
Whoo-hoo! New Global Titan map released today!

PIA11149: Map of Titan - February 2009
scalbers
Nice to see the additional coverage, though this seemingly has more pronounced seams than some of the older versions.
tedstryk
QUOTE (scalbers @ Feb 28 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Nice to see the additional coverage, though this seemingly has more pronounced seams than some of the older versions.

Pun intended? laugh.gif
nprev
Okay, let's not cross any lines here... rolleyes.gif
scalbers
We are on the threshold of an unseemly post wink.gif
scalbers
Greetings, here's the 2011 CICLOPS Titan map shown with feature names:

Click to view attachment

Latest version with full resolution: http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/features/c...zero_center.png

Looks like the Huygen's site is near the "t" in Antilia Faculae.

Steve
scalbers
And here's volcanopele's 2011 radar map with feature names. More of the smaller lakes are labeled:

Click to view attachment

Latest version with full resolution: http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/features/c...zero_center.png

Steve
Phil Stooke
As for the seams... don't forget these are preliminary rather than final mission products. There's not much point putting all that effort into making a perfect map if it's going to be superceded very soon. You'll see much better stuff after Titan imaging is finished.

Phil

tanjent
I have to marvel at how much remains unknown about Titan, even after eight years of flawless performance by Cassini/Huygens.
There is certainly a huge amount left to be sorted out by an airplane or balloon mission, not to mention floating and seismic platforms.
All treats in store for future generations, it would seem.
machi
One of the Jason's map (thanks!) with labeled SAR swaths (all of them between T00A to T071 and even one from T77 flyby).
It's in PDF format, so it's easier to find location of every radar swath of Titan.

White labels - "normal" SAR swaths.
Yellow labels - Hi-SAR swaths.
Red labels - mostly Hi-SAR swaths not used in background map.

titanicrivers
Thanks Machi for that very useful update of the Titan map! VP's maps are awesome but the overall map was not labeled and (at least in this blogsphere) are now more useful due to the white labels especially.
Below is your map (at reduced size and resolution) with a coordinate grid as many referenced photos and swaths are given by such coordinates.
Click to view attachment
JRehling
Here's my take on Titan, an effort I've wanted to pursue to get a map that is relatively seamless, relatively tied to scientific reality, and relatively complete. I shared this with a few people last fall.

First, a huge component of what I have began with the maps that Fridger Schempp has posted at the following link. Everything I have produced is built on his contribution, which may well be 90% or 99% of the total work that produced my map.

http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?t=305

My work is based on, in essence, a black-and-white map, which is Fridger's with a few added areas of focus, particularly the northern lakes and seas as seen by RADAR (fused in with IR imagery of southern Kraken), plus some IR coverage here:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA14908

The most original portion of my work is in adding a color overlay. Color information for Titan comes from VIMS, and the coverage is highly variable depending upon incidence angles. This produces some ugly seams that I wanted to eliminate at the hazard of throwing out the scientific and accurate information (which is not well captured in those seams, anyway).

My approach in producing the color map was to combine two sources: First, global VIMS maps as seen here in the second map, using channels: B=1.27 μm, G=2.0 μm, R=4.8-5.2 μm.

http://europlanet.dlr.de/node/index.php?id=482

I also used VIMS details from the (very exciting) paper here:
http://barnesos.net/publications/papers/20...s.Evaporite.pdf

The second color source (and the bridge used to connect those areas where VIMS coverage is poor) was the thematic mapping of equatorial areas in the particularly inspiring in Figure 19.19 Chapter 19 of "Titan From Cassini Huygens".

My overall approach was to extend the thematic mapping (which had a VIMS-inspired palette for the bright/blue/brown regions) to the higher latitudes, without providing much detail besides the categorical existence of the lakes and seas, and the VIMS-orange areas such as Tui, Hotei, and as seen in the evaporite paper. I blended the thematic map and the VIMS products with no principle other than aesthetics, trying to keep the VIMS details whenever possible without creating ugly (and implausible) seams.

It is exciting for me to contemplate the mapping of chemical composition to color; the five basic colors of my map are:

Blue: VIMS-blue areas, like the methane-wet sands where Huygens touched down. (Dark blue except in eastern Xanadu, where the blue signal covers bright terrain.)
Dark Brown: VIMS-brown areas, the sand dunes in equatorial regions.
Orange: HC3N deposits that are evaporites, left also in cryovolcanic regions.
Dark aqua: The methane/ethane lakes and seas.
"Bright": rendered yellowish in Stephan, et al, but varying in hue in VIMS products, notably more greenish in Xanadu where the 2.0 μm signal is stronger; coincidentally, radar volume scattering is stronger there too, which made me consider greenish overlays to distinguish how volume scattering looks to me in ice. The ambiguity of the composition of this bright terrain fed a major obsession in my reading the past few months; an intriguing story that has left us so far uncertain what is covering the largest portions of Titan.

I've attached a labeled version of the map. This has been repackaged a lot of ways: Unlabeled, a petal map, and a globe. I can upload the unlabeled and petal maps later if people are interested. I also attached some pictures of the resulting globe, and a side-by-side of the Titan globe with the Europa globe I made with the USGS map.

There is some work that can be done, especially in waiting for more coverage of the northern areas, and more VIMS coverage to add resolution in the color, where I airbrushed it into a pleasing but not always accurate seamlessness. But I can say that I have a Titan globe beautifying my home.
Floyd
Fantastic, thank you!
ngunn
QUOTE (JRehling @ Mar 23 2012, 05:06 PM) *
I can upload the unlabeled and petal maps later if people are interested.

Yes please! These are the brilliant fruits of a most worthy project. I'm sure quite a few people will relish the prospect of making their own Titan globe. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
JohnVV
there is the Perl script from
http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/planet_globes/
for taking a map and turning it into a globe"
JRehling
The file sizes are quite large. I saved them as low-loss jpgs, and I'll post each separately. Here is the south polar petal plot.
JRehling
And here is the north polar petal plot. I left an azimuthal orthographic map as the background for the petals, so if you want a little "tab" to extend beyond the margins, you have something that looks about right. If you cut right on the lines, this won't matter.

I applied the labels and grid after reprojecting this, so you won't get such a nice result if you reproject the cylindrical map.
JRehling
Finally, here is the cylindrical map without labels. I hope people find this useful for widespread use in Celestia, etc.

scalbers
At the AGU conference this past week I saw a Titan presentation showing a couple of de-noised radar images. For me it really makes the features stand out and saves the "on-the-fly" visual image processing needed to see the features. I wonder if anyone has considered processing most or all of the radar data with this type of algorithm, and if this can be the basis for a global map?

Here is an older example of this type of processing:

http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-..._aharonson.html
machi
According to his personal page, Antoine Lucas intends to post online his denoised images of Titan soon.
I'm using different kind of non-local denoise filter - PureDenoise from Florian Luisier which isn't so good for SAR images as Deledalle's algorithm, but it's best
from filters which are available.
Here is little comparison (it's crop from T44 swath):
titanicrivers
A small portion of the cool T59 SAR shows a possible rain dissected, southern, antiSaturn hemisphere plateau. A 'denoised' (thanks for the link to PureDenoise Machi http://bigwww.epfl.ch/algorithms/denoise/ )version of this topography is shown below. While an improvement on the jpeg images posted on VP's awesome site http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/RADA...T059S01_V02.jpg, there is a vertical banding artifact that I am sure someone out there knows how to eliminate. I am hopeful another SAR will image near this Titan location as an ISS dark albedo area is nearby, perhaps an old, mid latitude S hemisphere basin.
Click to view attachment

Edit: I am grateful to JohnVV for his destriping of this image, improving it substantially. The coordinates and scale bar are approximate.
JohnVV
a quick run through isis3's "dstripe"
just a first guess , and still needs a bit of work

a crop of
http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/RADA...T059S01_V02.jpg
without denoising first , "dstripe" tacks care of most of that

------

for that i tend to use gmic
CODE
gmic BIUQH67S152_D201_T059S01_V02.jpg -type float  -remove_hotpixels 2,1.0% -type uchar -o BIUQH67S152_D201_T059S01_V02.Less.Noise.png

that line removes most of the " salt&pepper "
titanicrivers
Much thanks JohnVV for above. Have used your image to modify my T59 snippet map on the previous page. Must confess I am a Windows user and not familiar with isis. Is there a destripe type plugin for ImageJ?
machi
Preliminary global map of Titan. Version 0.2.0.
Informations are directly in the map and on Flickr page.

JRehling
Beautiful work, Machi! It's a challenge to get the very low-res topographical data merged with the albedo map, but your result is thought-provoking. With my Titan map/globe, I skipped the topographical data to focus on the color, but the topography is definitely worthwhile as well. With better data, a map could provide all three, but low-res topography doesn't lend itself, I guess, to being demonstrated through shading.
Phil Stooke
Yes! All your maps are really nice, and this superb combination of datasets is very useful, especially since there really is nothing else like it.

Phil

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.