Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nh - The Launch Thread
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO > New Horizons
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
The Messenger
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 24 2006, 01:51 PM)
The Atlas V 551 uses 5 solid rocket motors + the RD180 engine, so considerably more than half the thrust at launch comes from solid motors.

Doug

Thanks Doug, that is correct, it is the core of the 'zero' stage that is liquid, the five strap-ons are solid.

Minor aside here: As NASA scrambled for a replacement for the shuttle, they ask both Boeing and Lockheed to prepare a list of viable options. Boeing retorted that only their stack would work, Lockheed said only theirs would, so NASA decided to do their own study and concluded that since both stacks involved a cadra of solids, providing most of the thrust, why not just elliminate the liquid core and go with a solid first stage?
dilo
QUOTE (BPCooper @ Jan 24 2006, 02:36 PM)
Just to share, I made Astronomy Picture of the Day today:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060124.html

pretty cool!

I join to the congrats chorus..!
I always asked myself how similar pictures were taken... there are many other examples, taken from even closer distances (eg the popular shuttle view from below, shortly after launch)... I understand they are remotely taken, but how cameras are protected from extremely high temperature/pressure from engines?
Thanks.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 25 2006, 07:43 AM)
I always asked myself how similar pictures were taken... there are many other examples, taken from even closer distances (eg the popular shuttle view from below, shortly after launch)... I understand they are remotely taken, but how cameras are protected from extremely high temperature/pressure from engines?
Thanks.

IIRC, some of them (e.g. AT the shuttle launch pad) are encased on boxes which automatically close a protecting cover seconds after T0 in a process similar to the shuttle T0 umbilicals.

On the other side, I remember a sequence on the ISS IMAX movie in which a camera lens (or its protecting cover) was literally broken during the Proton launch due to debris.
BPCooper
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 25 2006, 04:56 AM)
IIRC, some of them (e.g. AT the shuttle launch pad) are encased on boxes which automatically close a protecting cover seconds after T0 in a process similar to the shuttle T0 umbilicals.

On the other side, I remember a sequence on the ISS IMAX movie in which a camera lens (or its protecting cover) was literally broken during the Proton launch due to debris.

Yes, that's correct. Many of us use boxes but not all. But for the cameras mounted on the Shuttle launch tower that get those shots, they are definitely housed inside heat and flame proof boxes that flip open for the shot and close afterwards.
dilo
Thanks Tesheiner/BPCooper, I suspected this answer but is great to know from experts!
Where is possible to see broken IMAX camera movie?
yaohua2000
Hi all, I have just updated my New Horizons page. It is a page similar to "Where is New Horizons now?" has been available at:

http://www.yaohua2000.org/cgi-bin/New%20Horizons.pl

smile.gif
BPCooper
The IMAX film Space Station 3D (2D on DVD format though).
Sunspot
QUOTE (ugordan @ Jan 24 2006, 05:18 PM)
To answer my own question earlier, those of you who missed the launch webcast, there's a very nice archive on The Spacearium. Among others, it has a clip running from T-4 until T+5, the post-launch press conference as well as a number of launch replays are available.

What happened to that website - spacearium ?
BPCooper
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jan 25 2006, 07:44 PM)
What happened to that website - spacearium ?

Changed to a real url:

http://www.spacearium.com/

Matt does good video work.
Bill Harris
QUOTE (BPCooper @ Jan 24 2006, 03:16 PM)
Thanks, yep the remote sound activated camera. I escaped this time. If you want to read more on how we get those kinds of shots, I wrote up an article yesterday:

http://www.popphoto.com/idealbb/view.asp?t...=45561&pageNo=1

That was a good article. When you do photography other than studio work, you realize that loss of cameras is a part of the business. I do aerial photography from radio-control airplanes and lose a couple of cameras a year...

--Bill
PhilCo126
Did You all notice that the New Horizons spacecraft is planned to conduct its Pluto flyby on 14th July 2015 ?
That's exactly half a century after the Mariner 4 flyby of Mars !!! ohmy.gif
mchan
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 26 2006, 12:24 AM)
Did You all notice that the New Horizons spacecraft is planned to conduct its Pluto flyby on 14th July 2015 ?
That's exactly half a century after the Mariner 4 flyby of Mars !!!  ohmy.gif

Yes, Bruce Moomaw noted it a few months back in one of the NH threads. Alan Stern picked up on it, and has mentioned that fact in the NH oost-launch news conference.
BruceMoomaw
Ah, so Stern stole ANOTHER one of my ideas, did he? tongue.gif
ljk4-1
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 26 2006, 03:24 AM)
That's exactly half a century after the Mariner 4 flyby of Mars !!!  ohmy.gif

Please don't say that Mariner 4 was/will be half a century ago.

Where's that old man icon I asked for?

blink.gif
mars loon
QUOTE (BPCooper @ Jan 24 2006, 02:36 PM)
Just to share, I made Astronomy Picture of the Day today:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060124.html

pretty cool!

Ben,

Although its a bit late, my congratulations too. Thats a great shot.

In fact I so truly enjoy the whole series, that for my outreach presentations I have assembled them into a series of collages over several slides to convey the beauty and power of that awesome Atlas launch;

a simulated animation

from liftoff to Infinity and Beyond !!!

and the people loved your shots biggrin.gif

ken
BruceMoomaw
Or, as the BabelFish translation of one French aerospace website put it: "Toward the infinite realms and beyond that!"
BPCooper
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Feb 5 2006, 09:28 PM)
Or, as the BabelFish translation of one French aerospace website put it: "Toward the infinite realms and beyond that!"

Ha, thanks. Sounds neat, can I see what you did?
just-nick
QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Feb 5 2006, 06:28 PM)

Its quite catchy, actually, in a Buzz Lightyear sort of way.
edstrick
Didn't Captain James <where no man has gone before> Kirk say:
"Somewhere, out there, THATAWAY!"?
ljk4-1
QUOTE (edstrick @ Feb 6 2006, 12:34 AM)
Didn't Captain James <where no man has gone before> Kirk say:
"Somewhere, out there, THATAWAY!"?

Engage!
paxdan
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Feb 6 2006, 03:17 PM)
Engage!

Make it so!
edstrick
Space is deep.
____________Space is dark.
________________________It's hard to find.
____________________________________A place to park.

--Burmashave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.