dvandorn
New T-0 19:50 Zulu.

-the other Doug
Sunspot
lol.....this isn't going to happen today. tongue.gif
MahFL
all the websites are oveloaded sad.gif
helvick
Hats off to these Launch control guys - the job needs the patience of saints and nerves of steel.
Not to mention all the serious tech brilliance...
RNeuhaus
The later is the afternoon, the better is the time, less windy...I hope that I have a good feeling that at the 2:50 pm is the real time.

Rodolfo
imran
Tomorrow looks like another bad day.

Wednesday's forecast:
Morning showers, becoming partly cloudy in the afternoon. Cooler. High 63F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Let's hope we have a launch today or else we may have to wait until Thursday.
Toma B
Spaceflightnow.com:
1930 GMT (2:30 p.m. EST)
A poll of the New Horizons spacecraft and ground network team was just conducted. The were no problems reported, NASA says.

NO PROBLEMS?!?!? smile.gif
There is still hope!
PhilCo126
Not to mention the preparations... and technical + safety checks!
dvandorn
New T-0 20:05 Zulu.. No reason given.

-the other Doug
imran
Another delay sad.gif
Ames
Another new profile into the IMU

Looks like winds are within design limits.

Go Go Go !!!

-Please!

Arrrgh !

T0 20:05
Rakhir
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jan 17 2006, 09:43 PM)
New T-0 20:05 Zulu..  No reason given.

-the other Doug

Probably the last one given today's window sad.gif
RNeuhaus
Another good step :
1939 GMT (2:39 p.m. EST)

The Cape launch team has received the latest flight profile for loading into the rocket. Officials are awaiting confirmation that the profile can withstand the current upper level winds.

Closing problems step by step until ring the 2:50 pm.

Rodolfo
Redstone
For those of you keeping score at home...

T:0 times attempted today (EST):

1:24
1:45
2:10
2:30
2:50
3:05

Window closes at 3:23 pm. So, they may try 3:20 if 3:05 pm doesn't work out...
Holder of the Two Leashes
This is starting to get really intense.
Analyst
I prefer the shuttle/ISS windows - 5 minutes or so per day and you are done. Or Delta II's one second. smile.gif
Ames
QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Jan 17 2006, 08:49 PM)
This is starting to get really intense.

"Starting" - it's been intense for hours.
I am gonna have to go down the Pub (Bar) after this and rehydrate.

Nick

(Beer is not just for Christmas)
imran
Upper levels are still a problem.
PhilCo126
At least there're no fishing boats above the launch sector, here at the coast they prefer to pay the fine during 'firing season' ( Anti-Aircraft missiles ) wink.gif
Bjorn Jonsson
Increasingly looking like a scrub to me. Hopefully I'm wrong...
imran
1955 GMT (2:55 p.m. EST)

The new timeline calls for the launch team readiness poll at 2:58 p.m., resumption of the countdown at 3:01 p.m. and liftoff at 3:05 p.m. EST (2005 GMT).
just-nick
I'm lucky enough to be working from home today...someone stuck in a meeting is going to want to kill me, I'm sure.

I've got NASA TV on all three televisions on the house, so in case the tension gets too much and I have to take a break and pace around, I'll never be too far away.

And I've even held off coffee this AM since I know that with any amount of caffiene in my system, it really would be unbearable.

For liftoff, of course, I plan to run down to the big 50" downstairs...

--N
dvandorn
Poll finished, ANOTHER new T-0 at 20:23 Zulu, all factors acceptable *including* upper-level winds.

-the other Doug
dvandorn
They're now going for the very end of the launch window.

-the other Doug
mchan
End of launch window. It will go then.
Marz
Weren't they acceptable for the 3:05 window acceptable too?

argh!

C'mon, let's light this candle! biggrin.gif
helvick
QUOTE (Ames @ Jan 17 2006, 08:52 PM)
"Starting" - it's been intense for hours.
Nick

(Beer is not just for Christmas)

I was planning to have a drop of Middleton to toast her on her way but I think I too will be settling for a few beers if it's scrubbed.
just-nick
QUOTE (Ames @ Jan 17 2006, 12:52 PM)

I like your idea of rehydration. You've got the advantage that, what with time zones and all, that's a socially appropriate form of rehydration. Too much more and I'll have to sneak a whisky.

--(another) Nick
Toma B
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jan 17 2006, 11:00 PM)
They're now going for the very end of the launch window.

-the other Doug

Well at least we know there will not be anoher T-0 today if this one isn't used...
GO ATLAS!!!
Redstone
Just when the upper level winds went green, the ground level winds picked up.

Last chance for today, folks.
dvandorn
I just want it to get moving -- I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon (I need to get some work done on my right knee) at 21:00 Zulu, and this is going to be cutting it a little close...

-the other Doug
odave
How much risk is there for launching exactly on the window boundary? If something in the process takes a second or two longer, will the window be missed by a few seconds? How much margin is built into the windows, in other words...
PhilCo126
If it's a scrub, will the launch vehicle be brought in again ?
No confirmation on any onboard webcams ?
Redstone
QUOTE (odave @ Jan 17 2006, 03:03 PM)
How much risk is there for launching exactly on the window boundary?  If something in the process takes a second or two longer, will the window be missed by a few seconds?  How much margin is built into the windows, in other words...

In the last minutes of a countdown, if something takes a few seconds longer than it should, the countdown computers would probably declare it an anomaly and stop the countdown. The actual liftoff is always within a tiny fraction of a second of when it is supposed to be.
just-nick
QUOTE (odave @ Jan 17 2006, 01:03 PM)
How much risk is there for launching exactly on the window boundary?  If something in the process takes a second or two longer, will the window be missed by a few seconds?  How much margin is built into the windows, in other words...

I think the answer is pretty much "none." That's the danger now, if anything creeps up once the hold is released and we start counting, its game over for the day. They've used up their buffer time waiting out the wind.

On the positive side, the Atlas V seems to be about as "turn the key and watch it go" of a rocked as we've ever built.

--Nick
mchan
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 17 2006, 12:06 PM)
If it's a scrub, will the launch vehicle be brought in again ?

Not for a 24 hour scrub.
Toma B
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 17 2006, 11:06 PM)

There are none on Atlas 5.
PhilCo126
Well no onboard cams is a pitty and during the close-up views of the launch vehicle I was trying to find the attachment point but the Atlas V really looks to slick... and now let's move away from this page 13 of the topic huh.gif
PhilCo126
Great views of the base of the launcher ... lost the count on the number of camera's around this launchpad huh.gif
Ames
QUOTE (just-nick @ Jan 17 2006, 09:01 PM)
I like your idea of rehydration.  You've got the advantage that, what with time zones and all, that's a socially appropriate form of rehydration.  Too much more and I'll have to sneak a whisky.

--(another) Nick

I think you should!
I'm not a daytime drinker myself but I think this is one time you should make an exception, and drink a toast.

Mine's a pint of Bass.

Cheers biggrin.gif

Nick
Marz
GO!!!!
Ames
All systems go!

Nick biggrin.gif
helvick
Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go ..

Lovely sounds. Especially the "Redline Monitor? Go" and "Launch Director, Go" at the end.
smile.gif
Redstone
Wow, they are really giving it their best shot today.

If the yellow line stays below the red line for the next 5 minutes, we'll be on our way...
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/countd.../chan1large.jpg
dvandorn
We're counting... *fingers crossed*...

C'mon, wind goddess -- blow just a little more gently!

-the other Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.