Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MRO-HiRISE
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JohnVV
last Friday Phil Plait over on " Bad Astronomy "
posted a cool image

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2...dune_field.html

it took the weekend to process all 18 HiRISE red ccd images into one mapped image ( 1.3 gig )
then run a SFS on it , well a crop but still 8192x8192 image

reduced size ( 2048x2048 mesh ) test renders in Blender

JohnVV
higher resolution mesh and slightly recolored B&W red HiRISE image
Sean
Here is a selection of renders from recent HiRISE DTM's...

Software;HiVIEW/Blender/Max/Photoshop

Uzboi Vallis

Noctis Labyrinthus

Elysium Planitia

scalbers
Really nice renders Sean! With this I can imagine rover visits to each of these places. Would be interesting to see where you are in Noctis Labyrinthus relative to the context say from some Viking images that I recall.
Sean
Thanks Steve... here is the location...

and a test flight...click on the image to see the video.

*edit*...and another of the same area, click thru to see the video...

Sean
Possible Fissure Source For Floodwaters

Sean
Light-Toned Mounds in Ganges Chasma

HiRISE data parsed by HiVIEW, Blender, Max, Photoshop & After Effects

Sean
last two for this batch...

charborob
How much vertical exaggeration is there in your renderings?
Sean
None. This is straight from the DTM.
scalbers
Indeed glad you are faithful to the terrain - and besides vertical exaggeration wouldn't be needed anyway!

One thing that might be worth a try sometime is the inclusion of scattering by atmospheric dust, depending on how much in the way of the optical parameters can be included in the rendering software.
Sean
Its on my list Steve, this initial splurge was spent optimizing the workflow. I managed to shave a few hours off!
HSchirmer
QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 6 2017, 01:08 PM) *
last two for this batch...

Wow, amazing razerback ridges emerging from the dunes.

Anybody else reminded of a voice over from Ricardo Montalban
"these are the last indigenous residents of Ceti Alpha 5...."
Sean
Fissure

Click on the image to see the video...

Habukaz
QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 5 2017, 08:40 PM) *
Uzobi Vallis

It's Uzboi - I know that place. laugh.gif

I'm used to looking at a lot of HiRISE images, and with that perspective, the first one in colour looks spectacular (and they are all quite informative - something to keep in the back of my mind the next time I look at related 2D images).
Sean
QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jan 6 2017, 09:42 PM) *
It's Uzboi - I know that place. laugh.gif

I'm used to looking at a lot of HiRISE images, and with that perspective, the first one in colour looks spectacular (and they are all quite informative - something to keep in the back of my mind the next time I look at related 2D images).

Uzboi? Geez...so many files spelt incorrectly....thanks for the correction, post updated.

Here is a clip of the Mounds in Ganges Chasma

Click on the image to see the video...

Sean
Gullies

Click the image to see the video...

HiRISE data parsed by HiVIEW, Blender, Max, Photoshop & After Effects

Sean
Hale Crater Wall

HiRISE data parsed by HiVIEW, Blender, Max & Photoshop

No vertical exaggeration.

nprev
These are just spectacular. I hardly know where to begin. Thank you VERY much, Sean. smile.gif
Sean
Thank you very much, I'm having a LOT of fun making these.

I will be introducing scale reference into the images and here is a sample from the next video I will upload soon...

Sean
Hale Crater with Astronaut

Here is the video with an Astronaut scaled to the model... Click thru to check it out.

As usual...no vertical exaggeration.

Still lots to improve on... atmosphere, colour, animation etc.

DTM suggestions welcome.

scalbers
Thanks Sean for really advancing things on how we can view Mars. As for DTM suggestions one can consider a helicopter style view following the tracks of Curiosity, Spirit, and Opportunity?

Another one (unless you've done this) would be in Valles Marineris, harking back to a passage from Cosmos where Carl Sagan narrates a fly through animation poetically saying "...careening through the corridors of the Valley of the Mariners"
Sean
Thanks Steve... I love that Carl Sagan idea!

I'm currently working on a Curiosity shot so watch this space!
HSchirmer
QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 8 2017, 07:55 PM) *
Hale Crater with Astronaut
As usual...no vertical exaggeration.

Still lots to improve on... atmosphere, colour, animation etc.

DTM suggestions welcome.

Astrid, A Princess of Mars...

ala Edgar Rice Burroughs

Burroughs’ Barsoom and Lowell’s Mars:
A Map for the Interpretation of Barsoomian Geography
by Leathem Mehaffey

Sean
More Mounds... these are rendered at full available fidelity in the model and texture to determine qualitative difference compared to the previous 'optimized' versions.

jasedm
QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 8 2017, 10:10 AM) *
These are just spectacular. I hardly know where to begin. Thank you VERY much, Sean. smile.gif

Seconded. These are phenomenal.

I particularly like the lack of vertical exaggeration.

Thanks Sean.
Sean
Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying them.

If you are familiar with a nice location covered by DTM then please let me know and I will see if Astrid will pay a visit.
dtolman
No love for the Earth-Moon portrait by MRO?
SE Asia, Australia, and Antartica are in view. A calibration image taken November 2016.

Sean
Gullies

Sean
Here is a video from the same location as the previous post...

Sean
There is a to-scale astronaut in the following image...

Ron Hobbs
Found her!

Thanks for this challenge. Great way to inspect this incredible terrain. (Or should that Arerrain?)
Sean
So it turns out that this area is Domoni crater and the nice folk at PIRL let me know that HiRISE had full coverage so I was able to extend the scene in 3D to provide the following images...

using these assets...
http://www.uahirise.org/dtm/dtm.php?ID=ESP_016490_2315

http://www.uahirise.org/dtm/dtm.php?ID=ESP_016846_2320

http://www.uahirise.org/dtm/dtm.php?ID=ESP_016213_2315
vjkane
Thank you for sharing these!
Sean
Click thru for a video tour of Domoni Crater...

Sean
Layers

Click thru for the video...

PaulH51
QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 14 2017, 03:54 PM) *
Layers....

These are great Sean, have subscribed to email alerts this sub-forum so I dont miss any smile.gif

Fingers crossed there is enough data that will enable you to create a few of Gale crater. If I could be permitted to throw an idea your way, maybe one of the entire path from landing from an elevated camera position, with tags on the ground for the rovers position every 50 sols or so? (just thinking out loud) smile.gif Probably a big ask smile.gif
Sean
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Jan 14 2017, 08:56 AM) *
These are great Sean, have subscribed to email alerts this sub-forum so I dont miss any smile.gif

Fingers crossed there is enough data that will enable you to create a few of Gale crater. If I could be permitted to throw an idea your way, maybe one of the entire path from landing from an elevated camera position, with tags on the ground for the rovers position every 50 sols or so? (just thinking out loud) smile.gif Probably a big ask smile.gif

I'm working on Gale but its a big job and I want to do it justice... I'm filing the edges off the workflow with these posts.
Sean
Can you spot the astronaut in this image?

( Answer is in the subsequent image on Flickr )
Sean
Gullies Within Central Pit of Bamberg Crater

Click thru for a video...

scalbers
Amazing how much detail there is in all of these DTMs that Sean is bringing to life. I'm curious about what the brighter material is near some of the higher terrain. Nice to see an atmosphere showing up in the background. I wonder if future plans might also consider the effects of the atmosphere between the observer and the terrain?
Sean
Its on the list Steve. Although given the limited coverage of the area I wonder how much atmos to add.

scalbers
Interesting question Sean. For a ballpark answer I would suggest that we can estimate an overall optical depth tau (~0.5) and dust scale height of 11km. This means the extinction coefficient at elevations near the ground would be 0.5/11km or 4.55 * 10^-5 m^-1 (tapering off exponentially as we go upward). From this both the inscatter and outscatter can be determined in the path between the observer and point on the terrain.

The impact might be subtle in the foreground, though becoming more noticeable for distant features in the background when looking near the sun.
Sean
Thanks for your response Steve. Horizon haze is on the to do list as a priority. smile.gif
Sean
Hale Crater Hills

Sean
Here is a still from a forthcoming animated tour of Hale Crater Hills.

Added some atmospheric scattering.

Sean
Another one from Hale Crater Hills...

scalbers
Great to see this realistic atmospheric effect!
Sean
Thanks Steve... I figured out a way to automate/bake it into the workflow so it should help a lot with future images. More work to be done on the skybox.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.