Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Horizons Funnies and Other Stuff
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO > New Horizons
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Gladstoner
QUOTE (wildespace @ Dec 6 2015, 07:55 AM) *
A question just popped into my mind - if you could smell and lick tholins on Pluto, what would they taste and smell like? blink.gif

Probably the carob powder my health-kick parents had us put in our milk instead of chocolate.

Click to view attachment
fred_76
Giant snails are the cause of the white trails on Sputnik Planum :

ZLD
So I'm pouring wax blocks this morning for a project and something recognizable came about as it was cooling.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the most analogous substance I've seen to compare Sputnik Planum. Of course, the action occuring here is convection from the very hot wax on the bottom floating up to the top and cooling down once it reaches the much colder surface-air medium. What is most interesting I think is that for the wax to have this appearnace with the much darker regions, there has to be liquid present under the solid layer, otherwise, it all has the homogenous appearance of a cool wax block. On sputnik Planum, many similar areas of darker and lighter regions exist as well.
Ian R
Advanced image processing techniques pioneered by the people behind CSI and CSI: Bognor Regis were applied to New Horizons images of Triton --- with spectacular results!

Click to view attachment
Nafnlaus
QUOTE (ZLD @ Feb 2 2016, 04:02 PM) *
So I'm pouring wax blocks this morning for a project and something recognizable came about as it was cooling.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the most analogous substance I've seen to compare Sputnik Planum. Of course, the action occuring here is convection from the very hot wax on the bottom floating up to the top and cooling down once it reaches the much colder surface-air medium. What is most interesting I think is that for the wax to have this appearnace with the much darker regions, there has to be liquid present under the solid layer, otherwise, it all has the homogenous appearance of a cool wax block. On sputnik Planum, many similar areas of darker and lighter regions exist as well.

Have you tried to work out the reynolds number of the wax? smile.gif
Mercure
Just came across this painting, "Floating city" from 1981, by Sci-Fi artist David A. Hardy.

Click to view attachment

Seems he had access to NH imagery a good deal earlier than anyone else! :-0
TheAnt
In the 'other stuff' category we got this presentation for a possible mission to Pluto.

PDF with a powerpoint style presentation of the mission concept.
Gerald
Did the FRC fusion technique make significant progress since this paper of 2012?
There still remain a number of questions regarding the operation and stability of the reactor, and significantly, a reactor of the type described here has not yet demonstrated fusion burn.

The fusion reactor seems to be the bottle neck of the mission design.
hendric
That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard all week. smile.gif
Explorer1
It's only 20 years away... and has been for the last 50. Though to be fair, an engine to burn a limited amount of fuel is is probably not as difficult as actually building a facility that self-sustains itself and produces more energy than it takes in (though we can still dream!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.