Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From Concepción to the "Twin Craters"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tesheiner
No dip into the east crater.
The plan for thisol (2199), as I can see it, is to take a final pancam mosaic of the west crater and leave the area heading southeast.
john_s
I love that word "East"! We are finally pointing towards the ultimate goal.

John
MahFL
I used to have a concrete Black Cat. laugh.gif
djellison
QUOTE (john_s @ Apr 1 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Ustrax - you know it's rude to break into John's UMSF account, right?
laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
No Doug for Rui there is no "ultimate goal." It's all about the journey.
Bill Harris
No dip into the east crater.
There'll be other Interesting Rocks to look at along the way. And if we need to, we can catch That Rock next time we're in the neighborhood...

--Bill
Phil Stooke
Yes, after a complete circumnavigation of the planet!

Phil
climber
QUOTE (john_s @ Apr 1 2010, 04:23 PM) *
John

So, this is the end of the West Side Story...
Tesheiner
Yup. And now, 40m closer to Endeavour. The images should be available on the next Exploratorium update; unfortunately too late for me (zzzzz).
SFJCody
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 1 2010, 09:23 PM) *
Yup. And now, 40m closer to Endeavour.

40m closer, but still not quite as close to Endeavour as they were from sol 1927 to 1930. The next drive should be the one to break that record. From that point I think we can pretty much call the western detour over.
Tesheiner
I have this point in mind as the next "waypoint". It's about 500m from our current position.
Click to view attachment

There's no special feature at that location, no crater. But if we trust the route plan, that point is, more or less, where we start moving almost due east because we leave behind the ripple fields (you can see those fields NE of that point).

ADMIN: If you want to start a new topic, just call it "Next Waypoint" and we can change the title later once it has some name.
marsophile
I don't think we have yet seen the pancam images from Sol 2197. The exploratorium site seems to be downloading old images from Sol 1931 and the jpl site only shows pancams up to 2196. Can we "get Scotty to kick the engines" on the downloads? unsure.gif
Stu
While we all wait for the latest images, why not read AJS Rayl's latest superb MER update over on the Planetary Society's blog:

http://www.planetary.org/news/2010/0331_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

ElkGroveDan
Nice Stu!

(nudge, nudge.. Hey I know that Stuart Atkinson guy. No seriously, we are old pals, had a couple of beers one night after nearly getting mugged in downtown L.A., we go way back.)
nprev
Oh, yeah, I remember that night. You guys were annoyingly fast on your feet! tongue.gif
Stu
laugh.gif

We didn't have enough beers, Dan, just cos S & I were both shattered with delayed jet lag. Will have to have a proper night next time we're over there.
NickF
oops - caught out by not paying attention to image dates - post removed.
fredk
That's one of the very old images that's reappeared on exploratorium. It's from sol 1931, way back at Absecon/Reeds Bay.

You can easily check the dates yourself using the excellent filename website:
http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/html/filenames_ltst.htm
Bill Harris
parting shot of the regolith (or is soil?)
Good question.

A regolith is a debris layer of rock and mineral fragments, produced by the physical or mechanical break-up of the parent rock. A soil, OTOH, is a mixture of rock and mineral particles mixed with organic matter. In my mind, a soil carries with it the implication of chemical weathering in addition to physical weathering. On Mars we have seen the suggestions of chemical weathering in the surface, but no organic component.

So what would the proper term be? It's more than a simple regolith, but not a full-fledged soil.

--Bill
Stu
Quick n dirty and coloured-in panorama of last San Antonio images...

Click to view attachment

Larger version: http://twitpic.com/1dks4s/full

And some more recent pictures here...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...ell-san-antonio
Ant103
Sol 2198 L2 pan of San Antonio smile.gif

Link to some driving directions.

Stu, beautiful productions as usual smile.gif.
jamescanvin
A bit of catchup. smile.gif

Here are all the R21 colour drive direction mosaics from the drive between Concepción and San Antonio.

James
Astro0
From the latest batch on Exploratorium, a bit of a belated offering from Sol2196.
Click to view attachment
Nirgal
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Apr 13 2010, 02:52 PM) *
From the latest batch on Exploratorium,

A really beautiful panorama with perfectly seamless stitching again, thanks !
Ant103
Sol 2198 updated version (colors) of the pan of San Antonio :

Just the horizon part because the bellow part is filled with a lot of black area.
Ant103
It's finally done, and I'm not very satisfacted about the result, but it's the better I can do with THIS pictures.
So, San Antonio pan in color, on Sol 2196 :
vikingmars
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Apr 15 2010, 11:25 AM) *
It's finally done, and I'm not very satisfacted about the result, but it's the better I can do with THIS pictures.

smile.gif Il n'est pas parfait, mais il est bien quand męme car on se rend compte du terrain. Merci bcp de nous l'avoir posté. smile.gif smile.gif
Anyway, THANKS for your nice work ! wheel.gif
nprev
...yeah, Ant, what VM said! rolleyes.gif Your work is always a welcome sight, and I look forward to your posts.

Bernard

je plussoie sur Vikingmars

merci fourmi
jamescanvin
My version of the 'east' pan.

James
Ant103
Merci beaucoup smile.gif

James, your version is way better than mine (not totally stitched at this time). Really appreciate to see your version smile.gif.
climber
QUOTE (Bernard @ Apr 15 2010, 04:52 PM) *
je plussoie sur Vikingmars

merci fourmi

Je plussoie! Celle-ci risque d'occuper nos amis quelque temps!
Je plussoie aussi d'ailleurs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.