Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaving Victoria crater
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tman
And the growing shadow ^ ^
Stu
Hope some of you like this...

Click to view attachment
climber
Thanks Stu, one of my favorite, very close to what I feel.
Well, may be Oppy's will still be roving in those remote days wheel.gif rolleyes.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (BrianL @ Aug 31 2008, 05:16 AM) *
Huge crater? Is there a huge crater to the south? Has anyone noticed this before? laugh.gif

Oh man, is that going to set somebody off!

I am sure there are great cobbles to study on that huge crater... rolleyes.gif

Quite happy to see Oppy out of the deeps and geting ready to hit the road again!

And...great words Stu...great words... smile.gif
Bobby
Question for the masses here. If an earthling woman had a baby on Mars. Would the baby be Martian or Earthling???

Also. Does anyone have any overhead images of the area to the south of Victoria??? I want to see what crater
they are talking about that they may venture to?
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 2 2008, 02:15 PM) *
Question for the masses here. If an earthling woman had a baby on Mars. Would the baby be Martian or Earthling???

It depends on who the father is.

QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 2 2008, 02:15 PM) *
Also. Does anyone have any overhead images of the area to the south of Victoria???
TheChemist
QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 2 2008, 11:56 PM) *
I am sure there are great cobbles to study on that huge crater... rolleyes.gif

Quite happy to see Oppy out of the deeps and geting ready to hit the road again!

And...great words Stu...great words... smile.gif

Edited out for inappropriateness after seeing this post.
hortonheardawho
Victoria Exit movie

I tried straightening out the ride and addad a little color.
Ant103
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Sep 2 2008, 06:19 PM) *
Ant, I like your morphing/interpolation technique for the drive movies!

Actually, it's just a fade effect, but it give a good transition between pictures wink.gif.

I've updated my movie with adding the latest frames :

(size about 30 Mo, Quicktime movie)

And I made a panorama from Sol 1634 pics, showing the "complex track" near Duck Bay (it remind me a highway exchanger). We can see at the left the first tracks of Sol 951 arrive to Victoria, the departure from Duck Bay to explore crater rim and the return to this place.

I've also made a colorized version (with Sol 1614 clouds)

Astro0
Ant, that last one is REALLY, REALLY nice! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Tman
Great works Ant!

The sol1634 colorized mosaic with that clouds and the bit solar effect from above is really a very nice composition!

smile.gif The only objection I have is the yellowish tone of the image. If you don't mind I changed it a bit - sadly the contrast of the clouds have slightly decreased:

Whaddayathink?
Juramike
Wow! Those are all beautiful.

Seeing three sets of tracks fading into the martian distance...there's a regular jeep trail out there!
Ant103
Ow! Many thanks smile.gif.
Tman : you made more realistic image smile.gif. Very good wink.gif.
Bernard

Superb picture, fourmi 103
Merci
jamescanvin
Tracks. New, old and older. smile.gif

And now, since Doug has very kindly sent me some 3D glasses (Thanks very much Doug! smile.gif)

Colour Anaglyph.

James
ugordan
Talk about burning... errr... rubber biggrin.gif

Great mosaic, James!
Stu
Oh great, James is doing spectacular anaglyphs now, too... I might as well just delete Stereophotomaker from my PC! wink.gif
Tesheiner
Here're some pictures taken on sol 1643 of Opportunity exercizing the IDD: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2008-09-08/
And the plan for sol 1645 (today) includes a bunch of MIs; that would be the first use of it in months! Actually, since sol 1502.
Tesheiner
First MIs in four months.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...ger/2008-09-09/
ilbasso
I take it these are views of the old tracks?
Floyd
Tracks from 3 times. From left, 2 years ago when Opportunity first arrived, next this past week, next driving in 1 year ago, next last week again. The tracks from 2 years ago went through the worst of the dust storm and are really degraded. Those from a year ago were after the dust storm and look just a little degraded. (I hope I have this correct--please correct me if I am wrong).
ilbasso
Was asking about the MI's - which set of tracks do you think they were imaging?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Sep 10 2008, 07:32 PM) *
Was asking about the MI's - which set of tracks do you think they were imaging?

The MIs are not of tracks. It looks to me like they are of the circular impression made when one of the spectrometers is pressed into the surface. I wonder if it's a fresh impression or if they have relocated an old one.
Tesheiner
Fresh one. The IDD is positioned at a sand drift built up on the rim to the right of the entry/exit path.
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
A series of 6 navcam EDN frames were planned for a sol 1647 cloud movie. They came down recently along with 6 others taken approximately 13 minutes later.
CODE
Sol   Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
----- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
01647 p1588.03 6   0   6   0   0   12   Unexpected sequence!!!!
01647 p1588.03 6   0   6   0   0   12   navcam_cloud_movie_right_eye_pri_57
I think the extra set probably corresponds to the "Unexpected sequence!!!!" record in the pancam database.

I was going to post the movies, but I think someone else will do them better wink.gif, so I'll hold off.

Astro0
I'm sure that someone with a nice flatfield for Oppy Navcam images will improve this, but here's both sequences.
Sorry for the slight distortion from the original frame size but you get the idea.
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
Nice. You did a better job of compressing it than I did. My good animation was almost 2 megs. I'd love to know how you did that, but now, we are again preparing to evacuate from another arriving storm. cya, next time...
Tman
Very nice hit Oppy!
Here's my try with it: 800KB http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/1647clouds1.gif
It's the sequence from 12:00:51 to 02:39. The other is more difficult.

Good luck, Tom!
CosmicRocker
Thanks, Tman. We are comfortably away from the hurricane, in central Louisiana, and I am hoping to go home tomorrow. As far as I can tell, the storm is much less intense than the various media are depicting it as. Some of them are interpreting this hurricane's "eye" as the large hole in their radar map. It appears to me that their radar can not penetrate to the center on the storm, hence the hole in their radar. I can't see any "eye" in the satellite imagery. There's a breeze here, and a little rain. The reporters are blowing it out of proportion.

If earier reports are correct, our home was seriously damaged by wind, and then levelled by the storm surge. No way... Stay tuned...this is fun... wink.gif
peter59
Beautiful cirrus clouds over Opportunity's landing site (Sol 1651).
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...RPP1588R0M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...RPP1588R0M1.JPG
I wait for next beautiful animated GIF.
Ant103
I have forget to upload an updated version of my movie of Oppy's escape from Victoria. It's done smile.gif

djellison
I'll never be able to change the forum skin, because your GENIUS avatar, and lovely drop-shadowed thumbnails are just too damn good!

Doug
Tman
Hey, who's said "it gives the forum some profundity..."? tongue.gif It's really a nice eye-catcher!

Sol1651 cloud movie in "false"color:
http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/1651clouds.gif
What do you think? Could it roughly look like that way?
RobertEB
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Sep 16 2008, 09:52 AM) *
I have forget to upload an updated version of my movie of Oppy's escape from Victoria. It's done smile.gif

Nice!
Astro0
It looks like they are trying to just push on through this sandy material at VC's rim to get to the light soil patch ahead.
Here's a four camera animation of the wheels digging/driving through.
Click to view attachment

Let's hope they make it out and can get on with driving to Endeavour Crater (EC). smile.gif

Astro0
SFJCody
It makes me nervous seeing the wheels churning away like that when I think about how many revolutions they will have to make to get to Endeavour. unsure.gif wheel.gif
BrianL
I'm sure there will be times of churning on the way to Endeavour. Lots of ripples and some will be soft and embeddable (new word). I think the driving team has so much experience now in these conditions, they aren't afraid to push things a bit. They've gotten both Oppy and Spirit (with her bum wheel, which could happen to Oppy) out of some pretty nasty jams. Perhaps they are even testing one of the new driving techniques that SS spoke of. No more zigging and zagging around ripples, Oppy will just bull her way through.
brellis
AstroO - great work on those movies.

Now that they're "hitting the gas" wouldn't it be great if they could get Oppy to "peel out" on it's way from Victoria!
dilo
I made this comparison between navcam images of wheel tracks taken now and 1 year ago, almost in the same position... to aid, you see some referring points (d location is tentative):
Click to view attachment
Interesting to see that track degradation is small (consider that farthest tracks are 2 years old!).
BrianL
Any driving plans in the works? Still trying to get to the bright patch? Exiting out?
Tesheiner
> Any driving plans in the works? Still trying to get to the bright patch? Exiting out?

Today (sol 1659). And based on Paolo's comments I would say we are leaving this site.
Stu
Does this view bring back any memories, guys..?

And cobbles? You want cobbles..?

smile.gif
Tesheiner
Ladies and Gentlemen, fasten your seat belts because our trip will start soon. Next stop is, mmm, Sputnik? Cabo Frio?

Navcam mosaic from sol 1659.
Click to view attachment
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 24 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Ladies and Gentlemen, fasten your seat belts because our trip will start soon. Next stop is, mmm, Sputnik? Cabo Frio?

Hoo-rah!!! biggrin.gif
Next stop?...
The cobble just ahead...and study it for like...three months... tongue.gif
RoverDriver
QUOTE (dilo @ Sep 21 2008, 06:43 AM) *
I made this comparison between navcam images of wheel tracks taken now and 1 year ago, almost in the same position... to aid, you see some referring points (d location is tentative):
Click to view attachment
Interesting to see that track degradation is small (consider that farthest tracks are 2 years old!).

D is probably under the deck in the 1286 navcam. I also think that this place is seeing too much traffic. We need to get a traffic light installed.

Paolo
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 23 2008, 01:08 AM) *
> Any driving plans in the works? Still trying to get to the bright patch? Exiting out?

Today (sol 1659). And based on Paolo's comments I would say we are leaving this site.

1659 has been a good sol on Mars. Yanked Oppy from the ripple and covered about 10m. Yes, I know it is not 100m, but at least we have "proven" that in case of an embedding event she can be out in a single drive. Both because we are near VC rim, and also because we still need to set our minds for really loooong drives it will take some time to see the first 100m drive.

Paolo
Oersted
La lunga crociera ha cominciato! Speriamo di arrivare ben in porto dopo di traversare con successo gli oceani di sabbia....

(Ho vissuto quattro anni a Firenze, é per quello che parlo un po' d'italiano...)
Astro0
And for anyone without a Babel fish in their ear... laugh.gif
A straight Google translation...

The long cruise has begun! We hope to arrive well into port after successfully navigate the oceans of sand ....
(I lived four years in Florence, is what I speak a little 'd'Italian ...)

Very nice words Oersted.

Paolo Amoroso
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 25 2008, 01:29 PM) *
And for anyone without a Babel fish in their ear... laugh.gif

Those who do have such a device might be interested in listening to RoverDriver interviewed by the AstronautiCAST and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Pod podcasts, both in Italian, I'm afraid.

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 25 2008, 01:29 PM) *
A straight Google translation...

The long cruise has begun! We hope to arrive well into port after successfully navigate the oceans of sand ....
(I lived four years in Florence, is what I speak a little 'd'Italian ...)

Very nice words Oersted.

I hope the Italian navigator will land in the new world--will let us know how the natives are. Very nice words indeed, thanks.

Paolo Amoroso
Stu
If Oppy's in an "ocean of sand" (fantastic words, Oersted!) she was in danger of becoming becalmed here... unsure.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.