Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaving Victoria crater
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
BrianL
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 28 2008, 10:27 AM) *
and eventually a spectacular crater that looks more promising than Victoria as a possible long term goal.

If you are talking about that big one two "endurances" due west, it does look very appealing. The slopes appear (admittedly to my untrained eye) drivable to a deeper level. However, with the strong possibility of an impending wheel lockup, I've pretty much put long term (at least, long distance) goals out of my mind.
Stu
Almost there... almost there...

Click to view attachment
PaulM
I think that it might be possible to send Oppy far further than anyone imagines.

My reason for thinking this is that Oppy originally covered the 3024 m between the heatshield (SOL 359) and Voyager crater (SOL 432) in only 73 SOLs. In this period Oppy travelled on average 41.43 m per day. This included stopping off from time to time at interesting locations such as Vostok crater. On driving days Oppy covered up to 140 m. If my maths is correct this means that Oppy might be expected to drive 15 km per year across the easy driving terrain around Endurance crater.

I expect Oppy to take at least 6 months to traverse the dunes of the etched terrain again. However in 2.5 years time I expect Oppy to be 35 km North of Victoria crater. I believe that this is the distance that one of the Lunakhod rovers drove on the Moon in just a few months.

I wonder if Oppy could reach the clays below the gypsum rich sandstones it is currently driving upon if it was to drive 35km North of its current location? I wonder how far the potential MSL North Merridiani landing site is from Victoria crater?

I realise of course that the problem is that one of Oppy's wheels if likely to fail long before the 2.5 years have passed. However I hope that MSL's wheels are stronger than MER's wheels and that MSL will be able to drive 200+ km in the 10 years that MSL is likely to survive on Mars.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Aug 28 2008, 02:44 PM) *
I think the team is looking for these...cobbles... (sol 658?)
Click to view attachment

That's the pile just off the Northwest edge of Erebus, right? I was surprised and disappointed when they drove on without checking that pile out. But if Opportunity is not going back to Erebus, it is not going back to that mother load of cobbles.
climber
PaulM, you may want to contact Ustrax to create an OLD (Oppy Long Distance) association. wheel.gif
I didn't thought anyone could have challenged Oppy's driving capabilities more than Rui, but you did biggrin.gif smile.gif wheel.gif
BTW, I'm with you but following waaaaaay behind
PaulM
QUOTE (climber @ Aug 28 2008, 09:38 PM) *
PaulM, you may want to contact Ustrax to create an OLD (Oppy Long Distance) association. wheel.gif
I didn't thought anyone could have challenged Oppy's driving capabilities more than Rui, but you did biggrin.gif smile.gif wheel.gif
BTW, I'm with you but following waaaaaay behind

The problem in attempting to reach Ithaca crater is the dunes, not the distance. It would be much easier to travel the same distance to the North across a parking lot. Even if there is no obvious target to the North it would still be worth travelling North to sample steadily lower strata in the Merridiani's 700m thick stack of gypsum rich sandstones.
hortonheardawho
sol 1632@16:13 LST OUT!

I think Oppy pulled a fast one and did 2 drives on 1632.
djellison
QUOTE (PaulM @ Aug 28 2008, 08:53 PM) *
My reason for thinking this is....

Almost certainly unrealistic. Nothing like optimism, but please don't do the 'X metres per sol x Y months = Z kilometres'. It only ever worked once - when Spirit went from Bonneville to Pot-of-Gold in 45 sols.
jmjawors
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Aug 28 2008, 03:57 PM) *
sol 1632@16:13 LST OUT!

I think Oppy pulled a fast one and did 2 drives on 1632.

Are you sure? Aren't those the entrance tracks?
BrianL
Oppy is still clearly on the inside looking out. But it is nice to see into the distance again. Getting a might claustrophobic in that darn hole. biggrin.gif
Astro0
There's some really nice views coming from Oppy as she clears out the memory before heading back on to the plains of Meridiani.
Click to view attachment
Astro0
hortonheardawho
DOH!

I wondered why the "inside" of Victoria was so smooth!
Astro0
Another nice view in subdued light.
Click to view attachment
Astro0
Astro0
Wow. sad.gif I'm kinda sad now that we've left Viccy behind.
Hey Stu, there's has to be a poem coming soon, eh?!

Astro0
Tman
Don't think we already left it. That was just the drive out so far.
djellison
No - we're properly out of it now.
Stu
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Aug 29 2008, 01:14 PM) *
Wow. sad.gif I'm kinda sad now that we've left Viccy behind.
Hey Stu, there's has to be a poem coming soon, eh?!

Well, at the risk of coming over as a rover-hugging over-sentimental kaftan-wearing melodramatacist, I'm sad too... it was a heck of an adventure getting to and then into Victoria, one none of us here will ever forget... but Oppy has work to do elsewhere, and who knows what fascinating new sights she'll see? There'll be more dust storms to endure, more glitches to overcome, more challenges to face, I'm sure, but our gal will keep going until the last weary whirr of her wheels.

A poem? Hmmm. Ya think..? wink.gif
ilbasso
When we finally sing the Song of Opportunity after its journey, we'll need a canto for each of its adventures...The Hole in One, Leaving the Nest, Endurance, The Heat Shield, The Journey South, The Dunes of Erebus, The Slopes of Victoria, Ithaca...
hortonheardawho
er, now?

BrianL
http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...NVP1937R0M1.JPG

I find this a very poignant shot. Reminds me of when Oppy first arrived and we filled the swear jar.

sad.gif nostalgic pause sad.gif

OK, time to move on! Woo-hoo! wheel.gif smile.gif
Stu
Farewell Victoria...

Click to view attachment

( full size version here )
belleraphon1
Six wheels on level powder...

Boo Hoo and Woo Hoo

Travel on, little rover, travel on...... we are with you.

Craig
CosmicRocker
belleraphon1: Of all the "exit and move on" comments I've read so far, yours was my favorite and the most succinct at this point in time.

I have little to add. Let's get on with it... wheel.gif (Is it only me, or does that wheel appear to be rotating in reverse?)
Ant103
I'm not so nostalgic to leave Victoria's inside. But, when the rover will definitively leave the crater, yes, I will feel more nostalgic (like when the rover reach out of Eagle Crater, it was like to leave a sort of home).

Last color view of the track and rocks at Sol 1618 :
Stu
Think Oppy will take a closer look at these "cobbles", scooted past in April 2007..?

Click to view attachment
Shaka
Those are well off the intended NNW track, aren't they? Way over to the east. unsure.gif
fredk
From New Scientist:
They are eyeing two eroded craters, about the size of Victoria, that lie a couple of kilometres away to the north. Banerdt says the eroded rims of the craters may be made of rocks that were once deep below the surface but were brought upwards in the violence of the impact that formed them.

Alternatively, mission planners may decide to send the rover south of Victoria Crater.... to a "huge" crater that lies 15 kilometres south of Victoria
BrianL
Huge crater? Is there a huge crater to the south? Has anyone noticed this before? laugh.gif

Oh man, is that going to set somebody off!
Stu
QUOTE (Shaka @ Aug 31 2008, 02:30 AM) *
Those are well off the intended NNW track, aren't they? Way over to the east. unsure.gif

Yep, but intentions can change. Just wondering... smile.gif
djellison
Oh boy. I'm looking forward to AJSR's update tomorrow smile.gif

I hope they can do a 'done with Victoria' press conf.

Doug
Gonzz
QUOTE (BrianL @ Aug 31 2008, 05:16 AM) *
Huge crater? Is there a huge crater to the south? Has anyone noticed this before? laugh.gif

Oh man, is that going to set somebody off!

You bet hehe, I live in Lisbon and I think we can just hear him shouting with Joy way way over there in Sintra laugh.gif
Floyd
Well, since Opportunity has left Victoria Crater, it is time for a new thread.

Searching for Cobbles
jamescanvin
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 31 2008, 10:19 AM) *
Oh boy. I'm looking forward to AJSR's update tomorrow smile.gif

http://www.planetary.org/news/2008/0831_Th...ers_Update.html
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 1 2008, 12:15 AM) *

Well hey now here's some good news:

Mars has apparently gifted Opportunity, once or twice again in August, with wind gusts that have cleared some dust build-up on its solar arrays. "You can't exactly tell when these things [gusts] take place," noted Matijevic. "All you can tell is from inference that the vehicle is producing a little more energy than it was the day before." In any case, as the month progressed, the rover's power production levels soared from 380 watt-hours to 620 watt-hours.

Stu
Gulp...

That's actually quite a slope, isn''t it..?

blink.gif
mhoward
I couldn't resist doing a QuickTime VR of Sol 1637 (2.7 MB)
Ant103
You couldn't resist Micheal … and you're right. Your VR is great smile.gif.

In the same time, I've produced the panoramic :

Stu
Brilliant, thanks Mike!
mhoward
Also, here's a postcard of virtual Opportunity exiting the crater. Maybe somebody can produce a more refined version.

Tesheiner
Sol 1637: Positioning the rover before taking a last panorama from Victoria?
Click to view attachment

And have a look to this collection of tracks from now, one year ago and two years ago!
Click to view attachment
ilbasso
It's quite a shock to see the tracks of those long, straight drives again!
Astro0
AN OPEN "PLEASE, OH PLEASE!" To Steve Squyres and the Rover driving team. smile.gif

Before you head off on the Cobble Road, could we please have one relatively short drive to Cabo Frio.
Give 'Sputnik' a quick glance on the way and then take Opportunity out onto that promontory.
Just for that chance to take a look back at Cape Verde, Duck Bay and back along the crater rim that Opportunity drove along.

PLEASE, OH PLEASE! smile.gif rolleyes.gif smile.gif

Astro0
Shaka
tourist
brellis
This normally quiet lurker has a few questions as Opportunity leaves Victoria crater. I'm going to try to answer them via Google.

How deep did Opportunity make it into Victoria? How old are the formations at Cabo Verde? From this newscientist article on the shoulder problem:
Bathtub ring

The rover had just come from studying rock layers exposed within the crater walls, including one particularly eye-catching band that formed a bright "bathtub ring" around the crater's inside.

But despite driving more than 40 metres down into the crater – representing a vertical depth of about 8 metres – Opportunity spotted nothing but the same type of sulphate sandstone that it had seen everywhere else on its journey, Banerdt says.

Even layers of different colours appeared only to have either a courser or smoother texture that reflected light differently. Still, scientists are now studying the spectrometry data to learn if the layers also contain minute chemical differences that would reveal clues about the region's ancient history.

"There's all kind of pieces to this puzzle, and there's a lot of them that haven't clicked into place yet," Banerdt says.

Scientists have learned from looking at the crater walls that hundreds of millions or even billions of years ago the area was an active dune field, with winds moving either north to south, or south to north – much as they do now.

How deep is Victoria crater? 70m, according to the Wiki article

My questions for more informed UMSF members: how deep did we get? From AJSR's report:
It took Opportunity just about the entire month of August to complete the series of drives that covered a total of 50 meters (164 feet) and took it back to Duck Bay and out of the big crater it has been studying for years.

That would imply about 9 or 10 meters deep into the 70m crater.

Was the "Bathtub ring" all the confirmation Squyres et al needed to confirm the relationship between Victoria and Endurance?

Thanks smile.gif
CosmicRocker
brellis: Comparing Opportunity's deepest excursion from Tesheiner's route map to the available contour map of Victoria Crater, it appears that Opportunity roved approximately 8 meters vertically below the rim of Duck Bay. The 70 meter total depth looks about right, too. The contour lines on that map are 2 meters apart.

Regarding the infamous "bathtub ring," that's a longer story, and there is not a simple answer to that very good question. The term "bathtub ring" has been used numerous times in different contexts by team members and science news writers. It has not always referred to the bright band of rocks seen around the circumference of Victoria. IIRC, the term was first used by Steve Squyres to describe a geochemical horizon the team was looking for when Oppy first approached the crater...the upper extent of the blueberries (hematite concretions) in the sulphate cemented sands. The term was later used to describe other approximately horizontal layers or boundaries that potentially intersect the hole in the ground that we know as Victoria, and which might prove to link the observations made at Endurance Crater to observations made at at Victoria.

We've seen some rather provocative similarities in the rocks from both craters, but also some differences. An important piece of the puzzle are the geochemical gradients in Victoria, which we know little about. I would expect some news in that regard to come out in the LPSC abstracts this spring.
brellis
Thanks for the schooling, Cos.

How much is known about the deeper layers inside Victoria? Was it determined previous to the wheel zap that the potential returns
would diminish below the 8-meter level? Or, have we left behind some unsolved mysteries in the depths of Victoria?

I ask all this as a "Big Crater" fan. I love seeing Oppy back out in the open field, and I'd love to see her go much farther across the plains, reaching another impressive target.

EDIT: rereading the Big Crater thread, I noticed that our fearless Administrator djellison made a pretty solid prediction in this Sept. 2006 post.
Tman
QUOTE (Shaka @ Sep 2 2008, 02:47 AM) *
tourist

laugh.gif

The most natural scientists sit down every now and then and enjoy - especially when they've become astronauts. smile.gif
Ant103
I have made a movie of Sol 1630 pictures taken by the navcam during the escape from Victoria. I think there will be more image to come.
http://www.db-prods.net/upload/EscapeFromV...ria-Sol1630.mov
ilbasso
Ant, I like your morphing/interpolation technique for the drive movies!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.