Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol 65 and after
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jmknapp
Hopefully they'll name a feature Pumpkin, after Cinderella, & give the frost a fitting place to collect. unsure.gif
Stu
Tweaked and enhanced and generally messed-about-with-in-Photoshop "Frost Patch"... Very Viking 2ish I think... smile.gif
Stu
I think these are early morning (sol 84) clouds..? (Maybe someone could confirm that for me? I'm not enough of an expert on this to discount the possibility it's just noise). If they are, others will do better, I'm sure. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Pertinax
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 20 2008, 03:05 AM) *
I think these are early morning (sol 84) clouds..?

Hey Stu,

By far not an expert, but from what experience I do have I would say absolutely -- nice catch. I'm not able to check at the moment (hope to soon though), but were those taken through one of the WV filters?

(Also interesting is the bright point near the 10:00 position. I figure it's a 'hot pixel', but again will hopefully be able to look better in a bit.)

-- Pertinax
Stu
Not sure about the filters, sorry, others will know I'm sure. Amongst the Sol 84 images there is a sequence of 9 very similar looking ones... I thought there was a hint of something on one of them ( http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?...222&cID=235 ) so I just took a chance...

EDIT: much clearer view through the right "eye"... both animations up on my Gallery site...
Pertinax
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 20 2008, 07:07 AM) *
Not sure about the filters, sorry.

Pshaw..... No problem. I decided to go look 'quickly':

Left is filter C (12) which is IR between what our geostationary WxSats use for seeing WV and cloud top temperatures.
Right is filter C (12) which is Blue.

Thank you for your gallery.

-- Pertinax
jamescanvin
Finally got around to having a go at this

Astro0
Sol83 Frost as a desktop.
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
Many thanks to all who have posted imagery of that frosty bowl. Isn't it curious that frost is not apparent in most of the wider angle images? Is that a function of the time of day the images were captured? I'm too tired tonight to explore that avenue.

QUOTE (1101001 @ Aug 20 2008, 05:43 PM) *

That was quite informative, but I think we need our workspace map to be updated. wink.gif
jmknapp
The Spoof: Phoenix Mars Lander Discovers Life on Mars, Asks It For Asylum

Smith displayed a copy of a document that Phoenix referred to as its "Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal, form I-589." On the standard U.S. Immigration Service form, Phoenix had painstakingly scratched out every appearance of the words "United States" and replaced them with the word "Mars" in a childlike hand. Phoenix used the form to outline its possible contributions to Martian society, if and when it's offered protected immigrant status: "I'm a professional photographer with my own cameras, I possess a modest oven that allows me to heat small samples of dirt, and I am capable of digging a three-inch wide trench up to 1/2 a meter deep in only a few Mars days.
Stu
Animation showing changes in amount of frost on the ground, between 10.29 and 12.03.
Stu
Zoiks, Scooby!!! ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment
slinted
Here's an view of the large icy patch uncovered in Upper Cupboard back on sol 79.

Sol 84, 10:58-11:05 RA/RB/RC
jamescanvin
The state of the work volume on sol 84 - what a mess. smile.gif Does that hill beyond Dodo-Goldilocks have a name? Very pretty.

James
Deimos
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 22 2008, 07:07 PM) *
Does that hill beyond Dodo-Goldilocks have a name? Very pretty.

See http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/086.html, caterpillar (or catepillar--not my fault) post-dig doc smile.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 22 2008, 02:07 PM) *
The state of the work volume on sol 84 - what a mess. smile.gif

Remember Peter Smith's promise at a press briefing early on to 'lay waste' to the workspace.
Stu
"Caterpillar", Sol 87...

Click to view attachment
Skyrunner
Found another story on the perchlorates. Most of it old news but I at least had not seen this before:
...Finding a concentration of perchlorates would argue that liquid water had been involved. "If we find a deposit of perchlorate, one can speculate that water had melted at some point and had collected it into an accumulation," says Richard Quinn, .... But Phoenix hasn't yet found a concentrated deposit of perchlorates.

Alternatively, if Phoenix found some sort of perchlorate gradient - say it saw only a small trace of perchlorate in a sample from the surface, but it saw a larger quantity in a second sample from a few inches below the first, at the boundary between the soil and the ice - one could be fairly certain that liquid water was responsible. But Phoenix hasn't found a gradient, either....
bdunford
Check out this Sol 89 image from underneath the lander. The buildup on the leg seems almost to glow in this view. Meanwhile, the other legs look like they remain free of the stuff. Any recent news/speculation about what we're seeing there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.