Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol 65 and after
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jmknapp
An article in New Scientist says about the location of recent digging:

Perchlorate might also provide evidence of the past presence of liquid water. Because the chemical is so soluble, liquid water might concentrate perchlorate at lower depths, where the water would collect. Phoenix is poised to look for exactly such differences. So far it has been digging on top of a pentagon-like hillock, where ice sits roughly 5 centimetres below the surface. But now the lander has moved to the edges of the pentagon, where soil is expected to be much deeper.

Is Cupboard on "the edges of a pentagon"? If not, where would those edges be?
Stu
Had to chuckle at the wonderfully sarky comment on Mark Lemmon's pix page for Sol 78's planned activities...

Document "Stone Soup" trench (because Dodo, Goldilocks, Upper and Lower Cupboard aren't enough names for 1/4 square meter of Mars)

laugh.gif
Paul Fjeld
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 15 2008, 05:38 PM) *
( alternative version in my gallery here... which is right? Which do you prefer? )

Wow is right. I like 'em both! I prefer your colorization, but wonder what the "official" version would look like. Isn't there supposed to be some bluish casts away from the sun center somewhere?

Could replicating the colors on Mark's NASA release of the Peter Pan, and using that as a color template for the sunset shots work? I'd try it, but I'm not a pixel jockey like you and some of the other folks here. (I've tried!)
nprev
I like them both, too, but have to vote for the original. Certainly there must be ice and/or CO2 crystals in the upper atmosphere that will spectrum-out the sunset light...it can't all be ruddy, all the time!
ConyHigh
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 16 2008, 04:00 AM) *
An article in New Scientist says about the location of recent digging:

The "pentagon" is in "Tuscon" ... (check out the story...)
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 16 2008, 04:00 AM) *

Close. Stone Soup.

Planetary Society Weblog: Phoenix sol 76 update: Digging at Neverland, Cupboard, Stone Soup [...]

At Stone Soup, Ray said, they predict they will be able to dig much deeper than elsewhere, because it is inside the trough between the polygons.
Stu
Phoenix sees frost... smile.gif
stevesliva
Awesome! Now they can work on a dawn panorama... wink.gif
JTN
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 16 2008, 11:16 PM) *

Ooh. Are all those green and blue sparkles in the full-size image (e.g. the green one at bottom centre) transient reflections off ice crystals caught in a single filter? (On a brief look, I haven't found a similar but older false-colour press-release image to compare to.)
Stu
Colourisation of the first frost...

Click to view attachment

"Before and After" image here...
jmknapp
QUOTE (1101001 @ Aug 16 2008, 11:59 AM) *

Ah, thanks:

If they do manage to dig down 10-15 centimeters or so, this is the possible location for the next Wet Chemistry Laboratory sample.

That jibes with the NS article that they'll be looking for perchlorate concentrating at deeper levels.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 16 2008, 03:27 PM) *
Colourisation of the first frost...

The beginning of the end.
Hungry4info
As this frost starts getting thicker and thicker as time goes on, would it have any particular science value?

And is frost going to be an issue to the point where Phoenix will find itself often shoveling it out of its trenches? Or will Phoenix die before then?
nprev
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 16 2008, 06:26 PM) *
The beginning of the end.

Sad to say...but, yeah. sad.gif Hurry up, guys, tempis fugit.

Hungry, if the Viking 2 experience provides any sort of reference, no, they won't have to shovel it out; for the first few weeks of winter anyhow it'll sublimate away pretty fast after sunrise. As the days grow shorter, though, it'll persist & pile up; not sure if Phoenix will live long enough to see the ground perpetually covered in frost before there's just not enough solar energy available to keep it powered up.
CosmicRocker
While it is a sign that temperatures are dropping, they did note that currently the frost is only present earlier than 6 AM. We still have some time left before Phoenix freezes over. It is kind of cool to finally see some frost after speculating so much about it. I had previously noticed a few "frost spot" locations that were apparently being monitored from time to time. This particular site was named "Winkies and Quadlings."

I found one of the previous observations (sol 60) with false colors that most closely matched those of the frost image (sol 79), and slapped together a gif animation showing the scene with and without frost. The frames are straight RGB composites from the raw jpegs.

Click to view attachment
nprev
Very nice indeed, Tom, thank you! smile.gif

Brr. I feel the cold chill already, and was reminded of this song by The Bangles, a remake of a Simon & Garfunkel original: "Hazy Shade of Winter". She's gotta live fast & die young, unfortunately.
CosmicRocker
That's a classic song that I haven't heard in ages, nprev. Thanks for the nostalgia fix. smile.gif
There are plenty of metaphors in those clever lyrics that might be applied to Phoenix's situation.
Stu
Very nice animation Tom. As Nick said, BRRRRR!!!!

Had a go myself - slightly wider angle view than yours - which is hanging in the Gallery now...

Thanks for the song link Nick. Not a huge fan of the song itself, but any excuse to see Susanna Hoffs again is greatly appreciated smile.gif
Reckless

S and G obviously wrote this verse about the Lazarus mode on Phoenix

smile.gif
Hang on to your hopes, my friend
Thats an easy thing to say, but if your hopes should pass away
Simply pretend
That you can build them again
Look around, the grass is high
The fields are ripe, its the springtime of my life
smile.gif

Roy
Remember everyone, the solar arrays are dark, so therefore will be warmer than the surface as they absorb more solar energy.
Certainly the first frost IS the beginning of the end, averyage Sol temperatures will only get lower now, but I do not think it's signalling the imminent end of the Phoenix Mission & certainly IMO, Sol 124 for the extention mission end is not unreasonable.

What I expect instead, is that surface operations will reduce, as more time will be required to charge the batteries & leep the internal heaters operating.

Perhaps the RA & TEGA will have to be mothballed in the relatively near future, as they do use a lot of power, but the SSI, Meterology suite etc use relatively little & they should operate right to the bitter end.

Interesting observation & certainly now early morning obs should be made compulsory every sol now, to monitor the build up & sublimation of frost.

When does it form?

Before Midnight? After midnight?

Does anyone know what the temperature was when the frost was imaged?

Andrew Brown.
Deimos
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 17 2008, 04:30 AM) *
Brr. I feel the cold chill already, and was reminded of this song by The Bangles, a remake of a Simon & Garfunkel original: "Hazy Shade of Winter". She's gotta live fast & die young, unfortunately.

Strangely enough, I heard that song, that version, for the first time in years -- yesterday on the way in to work while contemplating how one would follow-up these observations.

Don't go too far down the beginning-of-the-end track. There is of course some truth (nextersol is the first sol of the rest of your life ...). But there is more than one variable that determines whether frost forms. [incidentally, this line of thought is purely speculative and based only on released images--we'll know more later]
Stu
QUOTE (Deimos @ Aug 17 2008, 03:13 PM) *
But there is more than one variable that determines whether frost forms. [incidentally, this line of thought is purely speculative and based only on released images--we'll know more later]

Ah... I get it... ( nudge nudge...)... you're saying that the "frost" is actually the condensed breath of subsurface martian lifeforms which worship The Bangles as gods, but you can't say anything until the - (wink) - Proper Authorities have been briefed and the comeback album is recorded...

cool.gif

JOKE!!!!! <------ please read.
nprev
Then there will be peace between Man & Martian. I too worshipped The Bangles, but only from afar, alas...<sigh><swoon><drool>... rolleyes.gif
Deimos
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 17 2008, 02:18 PM) *
Ah... I get it... ( nudge nudge...)... you're saying that the "frost" is actually the condensed breath of subsurface martian lifeforms which worship The Bangles as gods, but you can't say anything until the - (wink) - Proper Authorities have been briefed and the comeback album is recorded...

Oh, man, that was soooo not supposed to be leaked yet...
belleraphon1
Beautiful to see this frost..... but a harbinger that time is marching on for Phoenix.

nprev... must admit I am from the S and G generation but the Bangles are a heckuva lot more fun to watch laugh.gif

Thanks all...

Craig
nprev
Yes, they are, aren't they? smile.gif A very talented and IMHO underappreciated group in many ways. The fact that every one of them is stunning of course plays no part at all in my estimation (really!)

Really really...always thought that song truly kicked a**. They looked every bit as good as they sounded! (Must confess; I share Stu's infatuation with Susanna, but we ain't gonna fight for her; she's taken.)
Stu
(cough, splutter) Steady on there, I didn't say I was infatuated! laugh.gif I actually preferred the bass guitarist, the striking redhead who never smiled. I think she was called "Michael" tho, for some reason.

Anyway, Bangles were ok, but if you want to see real 80s talent then look no further than the GoGos, who not only gave us some great tunes as a band but also gave the world Jane Wiedlen AND Belinda Carlisle, who gave us the classic "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" the 12" of which I could always rely on to fill dancefloors when I was dj'ing school parties... (warning: video contains bizarre jogging masked children... twenty years on I still have no idea why...)

Sorry... I think I'm scaring the younger members now... I'll shut up. tongue.gif
nprev
Sorry;I damn sure am! (Cool; now all I gotta fight is her husband!) tongue.gif
dvandorn
I prefer the S&G version of the song, for a couple of reasons: first, they wrote it; second, it's one of those sliding-key things that Art Garfunkle liked to play with, and that his voice seems uniquely suited to; third, it's the first version of the song that I was familiar with, and in such things are preferences forged.

Besides, we sang that song in Chorus in high school, and performed it at a choral concert in the fall of my senior year, and it was the S&G tempo and presentation we used as a guide. The Bangles' version is punctuated differently, from a percussion and general rhythm perspective.

Now, if you were to ask me for a preference between the Bangles and S&G for sitting around and chatting in a clothing-prohibited sauna, well... the Bangles win that, hands down. I'll always Walk Like an Egyptian for those girls... rolleyes.gif

As for the lines that feel to me very much a part of what Phoenix is doing right now, there are two little clips I'd like to point out:

Seasons change with the scenery,
Weaving time in a tapestry,
Won't you stop and remember me...?

and...

Look around,
Leaves are brown,
There's a patch of snow on the ground....

-the other Doug
Stu
... and if there are any young whippersnappers out there thinking "What's all this fuss about the 80s?" then take a look at this, and then you'll know why we oldies shake our heads at your 'hippety hop' music and think your bling-draped gangsta goons are so silly! laugh.gif

Oh, and our cartoons were much better than today's too... laugh.gif
fredk
QUOTE (JTN @ Aug 17 2008, 12:06 AM) *
Are all those green and blue sparkles in the full-size image transient reflections off ice crystals...?

At first I thought they were the usual suspects, ccd noise/cosmic rays, but now I think they are true reflections. Other morning frost spot images (taken before the first frost) don't show such sparkles, and in the sol 79 frames that do show them, there are many that coincide exactly in their locations between the R, G, and B frames. blink.gif
imipak
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 17 2008, 06:43 PM) *
think I'm scaring the younger members now...

I don't know about that, but you're scaring me, and I'm almost 40! wink.gif

So, about this Mars lander thingy... I can't help but notice we've less than a week before the end of the original, 90 sol mission.
belleraphon1
Here you go, "the other Doug"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yheo2AgNywU

Love the little trumpet duh duh Dah de DA

GROOVIE!!!!!!! smile.gif

Three years after they performed this I had hair below my shoulder blades..... (memories... it was the springtime of my life) laugh.gif

And Stu... ahem, every generation "does their thing". Tolerance!?

Apologies to Doug for getting WAY off topic... promise to behave after this rolleyes.gif

Craig

Stu
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 17 2008, 07:31 PM) *
At first I thought they were the usual suspects, ccd noise/cosmic rays, but now I think they are true reflections.

I've been pondering this too, and there just seem to me to be too many of them, and of so many different colours, for them all to be noise or cr hits. Will definitely be worth keeping an eye on this area - and others, tho this one seems to be the fave frost hunting ground - for more frost as the sols pass. I hope we'll see a concerted effort now to monitor this area and observe the frost forming and creeping towards the lander as the days and weeks pass, should tell us a lot, as well as giving us some truly beautiful pictures.

Speaking of which, will we see anything as dramatic as this Viking pic, do you think..?
nprev
Join ya in way OT...The Bangles really did do it better, all due respect to the original composers.

(Good Lord, I've created a monster!!! Everybody back to Phoenix activities, now, now, now!)

Stu, with respect to that V2 pic: sure hope so, and more.
belleraphon1
On topic now....

Really am looking forward to watching the frost develop over time.

Hope that they can eke out enough power to continue to get MET data (which seems to be the forgotten instrument complement, but I am just as fascinated with their data and wish we got more of it. Understand they get temp measurements from three differnet heights along the mast. Love it if they would publish a daily for each.... think in midday your toes would be a lot toastier than your head) well past the time when TEGA AND MECA are done.

Also imaging of the MET mast and the surroundings for as long as power holds. I assume MRO will image as long as the area stays sunlit and assume MRO will image again come sping.

Really COOL. In fact... GROOVIE does cover it!!!

Craig

Stu
How long until we see something like this...?

Click to view attachment

BTW: if anyone else has been wondering what "Winkies" and "Quadlings" - the main rocks in this scene - are named after, apparrently they were two of the tribes of the Land of Oz. smile.gif
belleraphon1
Actually I am hoping for something similar to this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7323592@N07/434469147/

But this will be well past the H2O frost point and into the CO2 ice regime. Assume well past the point of any power reserves on Phoenix. And I assume this will probably be well past the point where much sunlight reaches this latitude.

Craig
Paul Fjeld
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 17 2008, 02:02 PM) *
BTW: if anyone else has been wondering what "Winkies" and "Quadlings" - the main rocks in this scene - are named after, apparrently they were two of the tribes of the Land of Oz. smile.gif

Thanks! I wondered about that. I'm almost learning as much about fairy-tales and mythology as Mars.

Question: where does "Fiducials" come out of. The modern American financial system Fairy Story? wink.gif
(No wait... that's fiduciary...)
QUOTE (Paul Fjeld @ Aug 17 2008, 07:53 PM) *
Question: where does "Fiducials" come out of. The modern American financial system Fairy Story?

Where? An optical microscope diagram? That's where I've seen it: they were test images, or marks on the wheel, maybe the MECA babies text. Wikipedia: Fiducial

In imaging technology, a fiduciary marker or fiducial is an object used in the field of view of an imaging system which appears in the image produced, for use as a point of reference or a measure.

I think both fiducial and fiduciary are related to matters of trust.
Paul Fjeld
Well that explains the "SSI Fiducials" taken from SOL 1 through SOL 9 of the same bit of lander and surface. I wondered about those. (It also gave me an excuse for an obscure and lame joke, sadly...)
Shaka
Hey, wayyy beyond cool... freakin' COLD! "Frosty the Mirror"
smile.gif It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
JRehling
QUOTE (3488 @ Aug 17 2008, 03:03 AM) *
the solar arrays are dark, so therefore will be warmer than the surface as they absorb more solar energy.

But all the roadsigns say "Bridges may freeze before main road" or something like that. The surface has physical contact with mass below it, so I'm not sure if the difference in albedo outweighs the factors of thermal inertia.

Moreover, remember the martian regolith is already very dark -- about 15% albedo? Something with 3% albedo doesn't absorb 5 times as much solar energy -- only 1.14 times as much. Moreover, specular surfaces can be surprisingly cool because they actually *do* reflect a lot of sunlight, but you don't see it unless you're in the glint.
Stu
More frost...?
slinted
I think so Stu! Here's a rough hack at the sol 83 morning mosaic (minus one frame).

Sol 83, 06:07-06:39 R8/RB/R2
Ant103
Yes Stu, I confirm smile.gif.
See this pan I've made (same sol of your picture). We clearly see frost patches on the left, and on the solar pannel, at the middle :

I've also made an animation of the LIDAR (the first pictures taken?) on Sol 82. I'm wondering what are these shinny things into the laser, frost on dust particules?
Stu
Awesome work, both of you Frost Hounds... waay ahead of me!

Love this little "frost patch" ( cropped from your image Ant, hope you don't mind...)

Click to view attachment
JRehling
It seems like there's probably not too much in the way of "weather" going on here besides the diurnal and seasonal effects. I would guess that this is a one-way train. If there's frost one sol, there'll be frost -- and slightly more of it -- the next sol. Winter or bust.
Stu
QUOTE (JRehling @ Aug 19 2008, 04:21 PM) *
I would guess that this is a one-way train. If there's frost one sol, there'll be frost -- and slightly more of it -- the next sol.

Yep. smile.gif Fun to watch it develop, tho...
Tman
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Aug 19 2008, 04:55 PM) *
I've also made an animation of the LIDAR (the first pictures taken?) on Sol 82. I'm wondering what are these shinny things into the laser, frost on dust particules?

Cooked flies... ph34r.gif

Yeah Stu, looks almost like a frozen slop smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.