Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Just Humor :)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3
centsworth_II
Exclusive Wired Science interview with Phoenix via Twitter shortly after landing:

Wired.com: Finally, we’d love you to settle a matter of some debate on Twitter. Are you male or female?

Phoenix: Good question! I've never thought about it. I'll give a peek under the deck with my robotic arm camera and get back to you on that... :-)
Astro0
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 21 2008, 02:47 AM) *
Apologies for the outright theft and any other sins I may have committed lately.

Actually Phil, that's much funnier than my original.
Hey, and we got onto the Phoenix website blog - how cool is that! smile.gif

Astro0
psklenar
QUOTE (Pando @ Jun 10 2008, 01:16 AM) *
ph34r.gif

I sent the link to this thread to a friend and his response to the above image was ...

Instead of WT_? it should have been "Rookie", or maybe "Stop playing in the sand and get to work slacker!"

pat----

Keatah
I believe WT__? Conveys a perfect sense of sudden surprise the MER is feeling when it does a double-take at observing the absurd! yeh..
jmknapp
If these robotic snafus have underscored the need for a manned mission, I have a good idea for a sponsor:

...apologies to Doug Ellison
tuvas
I wish I could draw it, but it sure would be funny to see an alien trying to keep the TEGA doors closed... Maybe rubber cement or something like it...
lyford
Zamboni! Bloody Genius!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Plus it gets us back to rovers....
Pando
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jun 9 2008, 09:33 PM) *
OK, this image comes to mind as Phoenix attempts more sample delivery techniques.

Click to view attachment
Too soon?! rolleyes.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist laugh.gif
Astro0

Well that was just in time. A recent newsflash from Reuters confirms that Phoenix has been really busy with its sample delivery techniques... smile.gif

The 1 cubic meter (35 cubic feet) of soil was taken from about 1 inch below the surface of Mars and had a pH, or alkaline, level of 8 or 9.

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/...634952620080626
dvandorn
Well, no wonder the TEGA doors won't open! You have any idea how much a cubic meter of soil weighs???

wink.gif

-the other Doug
Juramike
Phoenix reports on soil pH...

jmknapp
In the spirit of It's Just Humor, and in honor of Phoenix successes against adversity, please forgive the silliness:

ugordan
This thread is hilarious! Keep this stuff up! wheel.gif
dvandorn
"Music by Evolved Gas"???

That would be a GREAT name for a band!

-the other Doug
TheChemist
Ahem ..... the connotations for people not familiar with TEGA might be a problem .... laugh.gif
jmknapp
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jun 27 2008, 11:25 AM) *
That would be a GREAT name for a band!

True! After all, cosmology tells us we are all evolved gas--or maybe I should speak for myself.
Cargo Cult
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jun 27 2008, 08:21 PM) *
True! After all, cosmology tells us we are all evolved gas--or maybe I should speak for myself.

I seem to recall astrophysics lectures in which the universe consisted of three things - hydrogen, helium, and METAL.

* Cue ridiculous guitar riff! *

Phil Stooke
" Ahem ..... the connotations for people not familiar with TEGA might be a problem "

Yes, they're calling it 'Bean Valley' now.

Phil
Astro0
'Beans-Asparagus-Turnips Valley' surely. smile.gif

Astro0
edstrick
"Evolved Gas".

My dog evolves gas. I have to put her outside when she does!
PFK
With apologies again to Astro0!

Headline: pH test results prompt more questions than answers!

Click to view attachment
Astro0
That gets a Phoenix Smiley from me!
Click to view attachment
Astro0
volcanopele
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jun 27 2008, 04:38 AM) *
In the spirit of It's Just Humor, and in honor of Phoenix successes against adversity, please forgive the silliness:

AHHHHH!!! AHHHHH!!!! I can see that when I close my eyes! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif blink.gif

*shivers and huddles in corner*
mars loon
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jun 27 2008, 12:38 PM) *

Pathetic Earthling

An instant Classic. I cant stop laughing

please post bigger version

I cant wait for the Sequel:

Flash Boynton Rescues the Snow Queen
Airbag
TV Commercial...

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

Airbag
jmknapp
Hilarious!
jmknapp
QUOTE (mars loon @ Jun 30 2008, 09:43 PM) *
Pathetic Earthling

An instant Classic. I cant stop laughing

please post bigger version

I cant wait for the Sequel:

Flash Boynton Rescues the Snow Queen

That project should get a green light no problem--boffo b.o.! As for a larger version, that was the largest "Flash Gordon" poster I could find & anyway Volcanopele might not recover from the trauma. smile.gif
Astro0
Just my warped little mind at work again rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Astro0
ElkGroveDan
That's good. smile.gif (again)
nprev
Huh. I didn't know that Phoenix & the MERs used the DoD supply system for ordering spare parts!

(Good one, Astro0! laugh.gif )
Shaka
When it positively, absolutely, HAS to be there....
rolleyes.gif
PFK
Thanks Astro, it's been a crappy day and that cheered me up laugh.gif

Mind you, you're all wrong.
The spare parts were ordered, but unfortunately were sent from a UK Post Office. Naturally, even though it was an interplanetary delivery, the Post Office made sure the usual standards of service and geographical accuracy were strictly adhered to; one package made it (sort of - they'll blame it on the post code!) and the other suffered the usual fate:
Click to view attachment
Ipparchus
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jun 11 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Ha! And all these silly scientists have spent over a billion dollars on this follow the water approach. rolleyes.gif

How about just sending someone to fix the TEGA?!?!?!
Ipparchus
QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Jul 4 2008, 01:41 PM) *
How about just sending someone to fix the TEGA?!?!?!

BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE..!!!
tuvas
At the Phoenix Operation's Center, they have the telltale images posted, as well as a few others, including whirlwind, ice, life, and underground water. I only wish I could do the photoshop work or get the images myself...
Intertracer
Click to view attachment
Twice as fast. Half the price.
ilbasso
In yesterday's comics section of the newspaper... For those of you who do not read Brewster Rockit, I highly recommend it!!

centsworth_II
Click to view attachment
teck
Don't Worry, Be Happy!
Click to view attachment
Reckless
Just in case it trys to close againClick to view attachment
centsworth_II
I should think we would want to keep wrenches as far as possible from Phoenix. laugh.gif
Astro0
Don't let Ed Mitchell see this... huh.gif
Click to view attachment
Astro0
OK, not actual humour, but I was asked by a radio station today while doing an interview about Phoenix if there was a song that would be appropriate to the story about water being confirmed on Mars.

I came across a song lyric that while not ideal, had some of the key words.
The song is by Dan Fogelberg and it's caled Phoenix. I have no idea what it sounds like, but if anyone is interested here's a link to his website.

Phoenix

I have cried too...I have cried too long
No more sorrow...got to carry on
Found deep water before I'd even learned to swim
Never thought I'd see the sun again
Once I was a...once I was a man alone
Now I've found a heart to call my home
Like a Phoenix I have risen from the flames
No more living someone else's dreams
You almost had me, old lady
You almost tied me down good
You played the lady in waiting
And I waited as long as I could
Too long the songs have been silent
Too long the strings have been still
I never knew what you wanted
And I guess that I never will
Like a Phoenix I have risen from the flames
No more living someone else's dreams

EDIT: I think this will work, it's a link to hear the song. Note: It is a pop-up page from the Rhapsody website, so you may have to set your browser to allow for it.
nprev
Good song. Lived it twice. Now I'm depressed... sad.gif

...nah. smile.gif On another thread, I made a reference to www.chucknorrisfacts.com, which chronicles a recent fad where the legendary abilities and achievements of the venerable action movie and television star are being documented in popular culture. Esteemed forum member mchan PM'd me with some of his own related to UMSF, and I'd like to share a few of mine from my response to him with the community. Feel free to add a few of your own, but beware: Chuck Norris is watching! Always!

---

MPL didn't crash. Chuck Norris needed an HGA for his Martian summer home satellite TV, and no way was he going all the way to a Radio Shack on Earth.

The Pioneer 10 anomaly is easy to explain. Chuck Norris likes to mess with JPL's heads by going out to it & giving it a little backwards push regularly.

If you look closely enough at the best image of Ontario Lacus on Titan, you can see Chuck Norris skinny-dipping there. He has no shrinkage. Ever.

Ranger 7 was the first successful probe in the series only because NASA finally decided to go with a rocket as the launch method rather than a roundhouse kick from Chuck Norris.

There are rings around Uranus. They are there to help Chuck Norris aim when he kicks its a**.

Q: What would you get if you crossed Chuck Norris with MSL?
A: Dead. Nobody crosses Chuck Norris.
dmuller
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 1 2008, 11:06 PM) *
Ranger 7 was the first successful probe in the series only because NASA finally decided to go with a rocket as the launch method rather than a roundhouse kick from Chuck Norris.

Huh, I thought it worked because they used peanuts as the rocket propellant in stage 1 rolleyes.gif
Astro0, I owe you an update of the script ... will email as soon as I get around doing it
djellison
Humour or not - politics is still politics.

Post deleted.
centsworth_II
Chia MECA... just add water.
Click to view attachment
mchan
Chuck Norris facts are hyperbolic, just not in the astrodynamics sense.

E.g., There was once an IAU planet full of bad guys where the Asteroid Belt is now. That was before Chuck Norris got there.
nprev
laugh.gif , Mike!!!

Chuck Norris is the top consultant at JPL. Whenever there's an anomaly, they call in Chuck Norris to stare down the console until it surrenders and does what he wants.

(Not an original, but from the website I previously cited:) We are alone in the Universe. We weren't before Chuck Norris' first space expedition.
ilbasso
The man that lives across the street from me is named Chuck Norris (no lie). He has a shaved head; he's probably in his late 40's/early 50's and has a huge belly and extraordinarily hairy back - which we know, because he insists on walking around his yard shirtless all the time. We refer to him as "Ugly Naked Guy," no apologies to "Friends"! I guess the shaved head is an improvement - he used to have a mullet, which was not any more attractive. Oh yeah, he and his wife like to have Druid ceremonies in their backyard on occasion.

So when you say "Chuck Norris," I'm having a mental image that's very different than yours!
nprev
He won't last. The Universe surely cannot withstand the existence of two Chuck Norris' at the same time for very long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.