Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Falcon 9 Launch & Recovery Operations
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Private Missions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
ugordan
http://twitpic.com/1twaez/full
punkboi
Kudos to SpaceX for the successful launch of Falcon 9!! A little late in posting this, I know smile.gif
Greg Hullender
SpaceX says they'll have a statement this evening. I have two questions I hope they'll answer:

1) Did they recover the first stage?
2) Elon was evasive about what the payload would actually do in orbit. What DID it do?

Meanwhile, they sure do have a lot to celebrate! :-)

--Greg
charborob
Unfortunately, I couldn't be home to watch the F-9 launch. Where can I find a video of the launch?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (charborob @ Jun 4 2010, 03:13 PM) *
...Where can I find a video of the launch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NREJEZ5eluk

This from the comment section in reference to background noise on the video:
"I'm streamed the audio through my mic rather than through my computers audio. Was in a rush."
Greg Hullender
Spaceflight Now reports that Elon is called it a "bulls-eye"

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html

Goal was a circular orbit 250 km up inclined 34.5 degrees. They were about a percent off.

--Greg
Poolio
Thanks for the link, centsworth. I was in a meeting and was also unable to see the 2:45 launch.

There was no mention in any of the blogs I read of this enormous hideous monster that came crashing over the horizon at T-3 seconds. I'm glad it didn't interfere with the launch. It could have wreaked some serious havoc if it had shown up just a few seconds earlier.

Click to view attachment

Seriously, though, congrats to SpaceX for a successful launch. I am continually impressed and heartened by what these folks are accomplishing.
Juramike
QUOTE (Poolio @ Jun 4 2010, 04:47 PM) *
enormous hideous monster that came crashing over the horizon at T-3 seconds.

Old school vs. new technology.

Move over, we're winning now....
nprev
I didn't get to watch the launch either due to work, but thanks for the great review read, all! smile.gif BIG congrats to the SpaceX team!!!

As Doug observed- 90 min from a hotfire launch abort to LEO- that's one hell of a statement all by itself.
ugordan
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 4 2010, 11:23 PM) *
I didn't get to watch the launch either due to work, but thanks for the great review read, all! smile.gif

To be honest, the official webcast was problematic with skipping etc so apart from the historic bit of witnessing it as it happens, you didn't miss out on much smile.gif

Here's a NASA clip showing different views than what was seen in the webcast. SFN also have a great launch gallery here.
nprev
Thanks, G. That was really clean, appreciate it!

Was wondering what those 'flaming chunks' were around the exhaust plume. Before this, I thought that they might be pieces of the engine bell ablative cooling material, but it looks like they're actually ice shards shaking off the booster & subsequently illuminated as they pass by the flames.
ugordan
Ice would be my guess, too. Atlas V sheds a lot of ice debris off its LOX tank during liftoff, and Falcon 9s tank, covered in cork might be an even more susceptible surface for loose ice accumulation.
Vultur
Congratulations SpaceX!

Yes, I wonder if the first stage has been/will be retrieved (of course, it's still a great success even if they don't!)
nprev
Apparently it was in fact retrieved, but severely damaged; I gotta run right now, but will find a link later.
Greg Hullender
Yes, apparently the chute didn't open.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/sto...0_p0-232127.xml

SpaceX now has a click-here-to-watch video.

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php

--Greg
Astro0
Some reports are suggesting that a bizarre 'spiral ufo' seen along the east coast of Australia this morning was created by the noted oscilation of the second stage.
Have a look at the story and video here.

Very similar to the 'wom hole spiral' seen over Norway last December.
monty python
You really have give Elon Musk applause for this. He can't be much more "all in" with spacex and he pulled this off. This is a BIG deal!

As for the ufo, if it was the falcon 9 stage 2, they might want to induce a tumble with vented propellant to help with reentry breakup.

What really caught my eye was the about 90 degree role the vehicle performed right off the launch pad. It seemed to almost yank an umbilical off sideways!

nprev
Wild! Not quite as wild as one of the people in the video's comment ('No, that was a galaxy far, far away!')... rolleyes.gif

The time seems about right. Astro0, you guys are NOT on daylight savings time right now, correct?
Astro0
Correct! Looking at the orbit data posted by NORAD, and the field of view covering the entire Australian east coast, I think it had to be the second stage.
The story certainly got a run in local media and I received quite a few calls asking if our tracking station saw it.
Probably belongs in the 'reporting astronomy' thread, but try explaining to media that just because we are a space tracking station, we aren't in the business of just scanning the skies looking for little green men wacko.gif
Hungry4info
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jun 5 2010, 02:55 AM) *
Very similar to the 'wom hole spiral' seen over Norway last December.

Well of course. All the alien ships probably use the same warp-drive/worm-hole generator technology.

/ducks and runs.
ugordan
For all our UMSF fans out there, a quick fun fact. The launch pad Falcon 9 took off from yesterday (SLC-40) was the same pad everyone's favorite mission (hehe), Cassini was launched from in 1997. Also, with Delta II on the way out, one can ponder whether we have witnessed the first launch of a vehicle that could replace it and ultimately launch NASA Discovery-class missions (along with Orbital's Taurus II).

Interesting times.
nprev
Those are indeed fun facts!

Nice to see continuity in history. Hopefully this was the first of a great many F9s...followed by F9 Heavies carrying Flagships! wink.gif
punkboi
I'm a month late, but did anyone here already point out that Elon Musk made an appearance in the movie "Iron Man 2"?

I thought that was pretty cool. smile.gif
Tom Tamlyn
QUOTE (ugordan @ Jun 5 2010, 02:21 PM) *
The launch pad Falcon 9 took off from yesterday (SLC-40) ...

The launch pad at launch complex 40 is surrounded by 4 towers. What are they for? Lightning rods, perhaps?
TTT
nprev
QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Jun 6 2010, 08:44 PM) *
What are they for? Lightning rods, perhaps?

Yep.
ugordan
Both the Atlas V pad (also a former Titan IV pad) and Falcon 9 pad have the same 4 towers with wires in between that form a net with a hole inside for the booster to fly through.
gwiz
QUOTE (monty python @ Jun 5 2010, 09:15 AM) *
As for the ufo, if it was the falcon 9 stage 2, they might want to induce a tumble with vented propellant to help with reentry breakup.

Apparently the second stage developed an unexpected rolling motion during powered flight. This will be investigated before the next launch of the vehicle.
ugordan
An extended launch highlights video has now been posted, including some new and higher quality views: http://www.spacex.com/multimedia/videos.php?id=53
monty python
There is a nice interview of a spacex official on spaceflightnow.com where they discuss some of the problems the falcon 9 had during launch. The roll the rocket had right off the launch pad was caused by torque induced by gasses swirling out of the nozzles and turbopump exhaust exiting at an angle. It takes some time for the nozzles to move over and compensate.

kohare
QUOTE (monty python @ Jun 28 2010, 08:08 AM) *
There is a nice interview of a spacex official on spaceflightnow.com where they discuss some of the problems the falcon 9 had during launch.

The full 8:37 min interview of SpaceX vice president of Astronaut Safety and Mission Assurance (and former NASA astronaut) Ken Bowersox with Miles O'Brien from This Week In Space is up on Youtube here. There's only a short segment from the interview in the round-up for This Week in Space 27 June 2010.
ugordan
Also, a video of a 40 second 1st stage acceptance firing (yesterday, June 27th) for flight #2 can be seen here.
Vultur
The successful Dragon drop test in August doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.
monty python
Info from the shuttle post-flight readiness review; the next space x falcon 9 launch has moved from no earlier than november 8 to november 18th. It will orbit a dragon capsule 2 orbits, manuver it and reenter recover it.
monty python
Just an update. SpaceX has announced the new launch date is dec 7, with the 8th and 9th as backup. Amongst other things they are waiting for a re-entry license from the federal aviation administration.

I didn't know such a license existed. What needs one? A high altitude balloon return? A Virgin Gallactic plane return?

Brian
nprev
Not surprising, though. They probably need to define an exclusion 'corridor' for the possible hazard to air traffic; makes sense to me.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (monty python @ Nov 9 2010, 05:21 PM) *
I didn't know such a license existed.

Nor did you know that I have a license for my pet fish, Eric.
ugordan
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 10 2010, 08:47 AM) *
Nor did you know that I have a license for my pet fish, Eric.

laugh.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (monty python @ Nov 9 2010, 08:21 PM) *
...Amongst other things they are waiting for a re-entry license from the federal aviation administration.

I didn't know such a license existed....

Lots of stuff on the FAA Office of Commercial Space Transportation web site.

Den
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 10 2010, 06:45 AM) *
Not surprising, though. They probably need to define an exclusion 'corridor' for the possible hazard to air traffic; makes sense to me.

Not surprising at all. Sure, there were no commercial return vehicle ever in the history of mankind, but why do you think this would stop government from creating a license for one? Spaceflight is hard. Bureaucracy feels the need to ensure that it is hard even before you lift off.
nprev
Let's keep Rule 1.2 firmly in mind before engaging in any discussion of the pros & cons of government regulation, okay? We probably shouldn't lest the discussion wander too far afield.
monty python
According to Spaceflightnow the FAA has granted Space X the first commercial reentry license.

One thing they look for is appropriate insurance. YIKES!!!! I guess since they are commercial, one could sue them if the Dragon hit something.
Greg Hullender
Could be the first dragon-insurance policy ever issued though.

--Greg :-)
monty python
Update. The spacex falcon 9 launch attempt with be wednesday with the window from 1400 to1722 GMT - 0900 am to 1222 eastern time. It will carry some thousands of commemorative patches thru at least 2 orbits.
peter59
T-minus 21 minutes and counting.
http://spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/002/status.html
Poolio
Webcast here: http://www.spacex.com/webcast.php
charborob
Launch aborted at T-2:50.
centsworth_II
Clock reset at T-13min, evaluating data. Retry possible.
Poolio
They're evaluating the abort condition. Launch will be pushed to the second window (10:38 - 10:43 EST) today at the earliest, depending on the what caused the abort.
centsworth_II
Next try 1543 UTC (1043 EST)
ElkGroveDan
Launch! Oh my!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.