Full Version: Falcon 9 Launch & Recovery Operations
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Private Missions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
nprev
Yesss.... smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
That must have been some sound.
ugordan
Images from the firing: http://www.hobbyspace.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=19279

Video to follow.
Rakhir
A video is visible here :
http://flametrench.flatoday.net/2010/03/sp...g_14.html#links
Explorer1
Incredible.... these things never fail to impress!
Greg Hullender
New Update, summarizing the test fire.

http://spacex.com/updates.php

This bit was new to me:
This was the final step for the rocket and launch pad before launch itself. We are now waiting for completion of the final set of tests of the flight termination system, specifically the explosives and initiators, and the acceptance of that test documentation by Air Force range safety. As soon as the tests are complete and the Air Force has signed off, we will move forward with launch.
If all goes as hoped, the first countdown attempt may be as soon as next month. It's important to note this is not a prediction of when we will launch, just when we will probably try a countdown.

Greg Hullender
Spaceflight Now says the current launch estimate for Falcon 9 is no sooner than May 8, 2010.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/

This is at around 15:30 minutes in "This week in space."

--Greg
Greg Hullender
Now we're looking at May 11, at the earliest.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html

If that doesn't happen, it'll probably slip all the way to the end of May.

The hold up is the air force, which still hasn't approved the self-destruct mechanism. Apparently even Elon doesn't have a clue when the Air Force will wrap that up, so even end-of-May is a guess.

--Greg
ugordan
QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ May 2 2010, 05:29 PM) *
The hold up is the air force, which still hasn't approved the self-destruct mechanism. Apparently even Elon doesn't have a clue when the Air Force will wrap that up, so even end-of-May is a guess.

What makes you think it's USAF that's holding everything down and not SpaceX and their FTS contractor not having completed all the qualification tests and generated required documentation?
nprev
It's a very reasonable inference, Gordan. Range safety evaluations presumably are very painstaking activities, and there's probably a lot of back-and-forth discussion going on to clarify every detail. SpaceX is also a newbie to Cape operations, so this is part of the learning process.
ugordan
Good Aviation Week article on who, why and how the launch is delayed here.
nprev
Good article, thanks!

As usual, it's a complex systemic exercise. There's nothing simple about launch campaigns, period.
climber
QUOTE (nprev @ May 4 2010, 06:50 PM) *
Good article, thanks!

As usual, it's a complex systemic exercise. There's nothing simple about launch campaigns, period.

It's surely very complex but one could be surprised it's still an issue so close to maiden flight. As you may have learnt, Guenter Wendt died on Monday and reading this: http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-052102a.html today I thought rocket developement would be now without this kind of issue; my comment is of no offence, just of surprise.
ugordan
QUOTE (climber @ May 4 2010, 07:59 PM) *
I thought rocket developement would be now without this kind of issue

What kind of issue? Having pacing items in development? That always happens. I suppose even this is better than having major issues with the recent pad tests with the vehicle itself.
helvick
Any reasonably complex procedure that involves people and communication, let alone one that also involves cutting edge technology and large explosive components is hard to do. My day job involves building fairly complex IT infrastructure and while the new technology I'm bringing in is complex (and ever changing) the hardest part is always interfacing with the pre-existing systems, standards and procedures of the customers organization. Even when you have detailed and accurate test requirements up front that you have tested [exhaustively] prior to integration with a live environment there are always issues that crop up that need re-validation, clarification and resolution. And in my case the worst that can happen is some servers fail and some lawyers get rich, I'm not in the least bit surprised that there are a lot of final t's to be crossed and i's to be dotted, in triplicate, given the risks involved with launching a brand new space craft.
climber
I've got the point and I experience myself this kind of thing everyday... and I'm not working in (litteraly) rocket science. I understand "everything" is new from hardware to processes.
Greg Hullender
A new update from Elon: http://spacex.com/updates.php

Lots of info (and pictures), but nothing earthshakingly new as far as this launch goes. He says the FTS testing is an iterative process, so it's hard to be sure when it'll be complete, but he does say it's the LAST issue.

It was nice to learn that they plan to attempt to recover the first stage this time. Be interested to hear how that goes.

The second F9 flight will be "a few months later", and most of this update is about Flight #2. Basically, SpaceX builds the pieces of their rockets in California, sends them to Texas for testing and to Florida (or Kwajalein) for launch. For Flight #2, the California phase is complete, and the Texas work is maybe half done or more. The big new thing for Launch #2 is Dragon, and they intend for it to orbit and reenter, so this'll be the first time they needed a heat shield to work. (I'm not clear on where the Dragon physically is right now; I'd guess California, since they haven't attached the heat shield yet.)

The third F9 flight will be later this year, according to the manifest, and they're in the middle of making the parts in California.

--Greg
ugordan
QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ May 7 2010, 05:44 PM) *
It was nice to learn that they plan to attempt to recover the first stage this time.

This was known for months already, also mentioned in previous updates (see the guys with the recovery raft in the Jan 4th update).

While we're waiting for the darn FTS testing to complete, here's a previously unseen static fire image from March 13th. This one seems to be chronologically the first:
Click to view attachment

Check out the cover over the other, unused Titan SRMU flame opening being blown open at the right edge. In the video you can see it clearly and puffs of vapor being expelled up. I wonder if they anticipated that. Imagine that thing being completely torn off and crashing into the vehicle... unsure.gif
climber
Could be May 27th or 28th: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html
Greg Hullender
Now June 2 at the earliest.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html

No indication of what the specific issues are, so July 2 is probably just as likely. :-(

--Greg
Greg Hullender
Launch planned for Friday morning! This just in from SpaceX: http://www.spacex.com/webcast.php
SpaceX is now targeting Friday, June 4th for its first test launch attempt of the Falcon 9 launch vehicle.
The primary schedule driver for the first Falcon 9 test launch has been certification of the flight termination system (FTS). . . . we are now looking good for final approval of the FTS by this Friday, June 4th, just in time for our first launch attempt. . . . Tomorrow we plan to rollout in the morning, and erect the vehicle in the afternoon. On Friday, the targeted schedule is as follows:

Friday 4 June 2010

Launch Window Opens: 11:00 AM Eastern / 8:00 AM Pacific / 1500 UTC
Launch window lasts 4 hours. SpaceX has also reserved a second launch day on Saturday 5 June, with the same hours.

. . . . The weather experts at the Cape are giving us a 40% chance of "no go" conditions for both days of our window, citing the potential for cumulus clouds and anvil clouds from thunderstorms.
If the weather cooperates, SpaceX will provide a live webcast of the launch events, presently scheduled to begin 20 minutes prior to the opening of the launch window. . . . . It would be a great day if we reach orbital velocity, but still a good day if the first stage functions correctly, even if the second stage malfunctions. It would be a bad day if something happens on the launch pad itself and we're not able to gain any flight data.
If we have a bad day, it will be disappointing, but one launch does not make or break SpaceX as a company, nor commercial spaceflight as an industry.

Complete text at http://spacex.com/updates.php

--Greg

--Greg
nprev
(Fingers, eyes & toes crossed)...GO FALCON 9 F1!!!!
Vultur
It would be a great day if we reach orbital velocity, but still a good day if the first stage functions correctly, even if the second stage malfunctions. It would be a bad day if something happens on the launch pad itself and we're not able to gain any flight data.

Interesting. They seem to be aiming their expectations relatively low (though it seems realistic given that it took three flights before they could get F1 working).
ugordan
QUOTE (Vultur @ Jun 2 2010, 05:25 PM) *
They seem to be aiming their expectations relatively low.

Historical record is sobering and speaks for itself. Very few new launch vehicle maiden flights were (completely) successful. Expect problems here as well.
Greg Hullender
The update notes that the Atlas took 13 tries before it flew, but I do hope they're shooting for better than that. :-)

I suppose I ought to be deleriously happy if it just gets high enough to actually ignite the second stage this time around. They probably would be.

But I can't help rooting for a perfect flight. :-)

--Greg
Greg Hullender
MSNBC has an article about tomorrow's planned launch.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/...rocket-roulette

Elon describes it as like "Russian Roulette" but with worse odds. He still thinks he's got an 80% chance this'll work on the first try, but notes they have three scheduled test flights. Plus NASA may do some things to try to speed the process up--letting some earlier test flights attempt more, for example.

There's quite a lot here--not a whole lot that's new, but it's nice seeing something from someplace besides the SpaceX homepage.

--Greg
Juramike
Live webcast here (spaceflight now): http://spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html
SpaceX video link here (should start in just a few moments): http://spacex.com/webcast.php
Greg Hullender
T-20 Minutes and counting!

--Greg
Juramike
Live video feed from space-X site just started!
Greg Hullender
Now we're into a planned 20-minute hold, I think. Does anyone know the logic of such a thing? Why not have the 20 minutes be part of the regular countdown? When I was a kid, watching Gemini and Apollo launches, the holds used to drive me nuts. (At least they tell us how long they are now.)

--Greg

Edit: Never mind. It's not a 20-minute hold, and it's not planned. The Range Control people required it. (They just explained it on the web cam).
Greg Hullender
Watched the live chat on the Spaceflight Now site for a bit. Two or three comments a second, many repeated over and over, and none worthwhile. It really reinforces what a high-quality group we have here at UMSF.

--Greg
Greg Hullender
On hold for one hour now. SpaceX periodically comes on to say that they're waiting for Range Safety to give them a new liftoff time. I'm worried about the weather, although the last announcement said that conditions continue to be good.

--Greg
tfisher
Greg -- I agree regarding the information content of the spaceflightnow.com discussion. But still there are very few ways for a random individual to participate in a launch like this, and being part of the random chatter on a site like that is one of those ways. I think it is a good thing to have forums for discussion like that, just to give an active way for participation even at a shallow level. (And even better to have forums like this, to encourage active participation at a deeper level!) Participation is a good thing :^)
Greg Hullender
Another update. Weather is still good. They're hoping for a launch in about an hour, or 1 PM EDT, 10 AM PDT. That's 6 PM BST or 1700 GMT, right?

--Greg

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jun 4 2010, 07:28 AM) *
Watched the live chat on the Spaceflight Now site for a bit. Two or three comments a second, many repeated over and over, and none worthwhile. It really reinforces what a high-quality group we have here at UMSF.

Yeah some of those news site comments are just painful, "Will it land on the moon?" "How do they make sure it doesn't hit the International Space Station?"

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jun 4 2010, 08:21 AM) *
They're hoping for a launch in about an hour, or 1 PM EDT, 10 AM PDT. That's 6 PM BST or 1700 GMT, right?

...don't forget 11:30 AM Newfoundland time.
Littlebit
There is a boat in the secured range - the Air Force is trying to clear it...
Greg Hullender
I suppose sinking it would defeat the purpose.

--Greg :-)
Greg Hullender
The count has resumed!

--Greg
Greg Hullender
I have to say SpaceX has a MUCH better feed this time. On the Falcon 1 test flights, I seem to remember many people couldn't see the video at all, those who could generally got very broken audio/video. This time, though, they seem to have been prepared for the volume, and it''s going quite smoothly.

May everything ELSE go smoothly!

--Greg
Greg Hullender
Abort at ignition. :-(

--Greg
helvick
Well looking on the bright side an abort at T-3sec is a good test in itself provided the root cause isn't catastrophic. This is a good time for Space-X to get a chance to run through all these possible launch sequence events for real.

I have to say that the various launch control team members sound much more comfortable with the countdown procedures than they have in the earlier tests, it's a small thing but good to see.
Greg Hullender
They're going to see if they can try again today. Waiting for a new T-0 time. I think they managed that one one of the F1 launches too.

--Greg
djellison
Demoflight 2 went from a t-0.5s abort, to a launch, in 70 minutes.
djellison
Countdown restarted at T-15m so 11:45PST T-0.
The Singing Badger
Liftoff and successful Stage 1 separation!!!
The Singing Badger
Achieved earth orbit!!! blink.gif
Eluchil
Completely nominal launch as far as I can tell from the Mission Control chatter. The did a great job recycling the count after the earlier abort and got their payload to orbit. Certainly a great day for SpaceX and commercial spaceflight!
Drkskywxlt
QUOTE (Eluchil @ Jun 4 2010, 02:58 PM) *
Completely nominal launch as far as I can tell from the Mission Control chatter. The did a great job recycling the count after the earlier abort and got their payload to orbit. Certainly a great day for SpaceX and commercial spaceflight!

Absolutely! A very promising event for unmanned and manned spaceflight.
djellison
A great day - period. Turn around from an on-pad abort to LEO in 90 minutes. Awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.