Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol 3 and onwards - imaging
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
jaredGalen
Would it be possible for someone to perhaps give the Phoenix metadata to me?

I updated the metadata with MMB but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Perhaps, a link to a download or perhaps a zip file posted here?
A zip file should be tiny compared to the full file.

If it's small enough I can pm my email address too.

fredk
Another idea (if one page per sol turns out to be not feasable) is to sort with the latest sol at the top of the page rather than the bottom, so people with slow connections could just hit "stop" on their browser once the latest sol's thumbnails have loaded.
elakdawalla
Jared, when MMB is done with the full update, it writes the metadata to a file "metadata.csv" in the [mmbdir]/Phoenix directory.

Just for grins, here's the Excel file I used to create the page I posted last night, not yet updated with Sol 10 images.

--Emily
mhoward
QUOTE (jaredGalen @ Jun 5 2008, 10:39 AM) *
I updated the metadata with MMB but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Jared, you need to use the "Fast Update Phoenix Images" menu option. not the "Update Metadata" option. MMB extracts the metadata from the downloaded images after they've downloaded.
fredk
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 5 2008, 05:11 PM) *
Phoenix doesn't return all of its images every day, so every day's downlink contains images from multiple sols, and that means I'll need to update multiple files.

Another thought occurs to me. Could you just update the single main page (html file) as is, but add a separate sol index page, with links to each sol. You could have a new script run after each update to the main page, which scans through the main page looking for the sol delimiters. The script then generates a separate page (html file) for each sol that it finds, using the contents of the main page between the appropriate sol delimiters.

This sounds simple in principle, but perhaps there are coding difficulties here? (My coding expertise is limited to fortran, unfortunately.) (Yes, you read right, fortran.)
Airbag
Emily,

Another minor formatting comment - it would be nicer to let the images "float" I think as now for each sol/sequence/camera type you sometimes have to scroll sideways on the browser (at least in IE) to see them all. That means you have to use sideways as well as up down scrolling, a very painful combination.

Airbag
elakdawalla
OK, here's a new and improved version based on all your comments. Still need to wrap more explanatory text around it, but it might be a little more useable:
http://planetary.org/data/phoenix/raw/

Let me know what you think.

Fred, if I could script in any language this would be easier. It's a little frustrating because I know what I'm doing isn't complicated. I even learned (and used!) visual basic within Microsoft Access during my previous life as an environmental consultant, so it seems I should be able to write a simple script to do this kind of stuff. But every time I teach myself the rudiments of a programming language (something I've done, like, four times), I lose it all after falling out of practice and have to start from scratch again. Now I definitely don't have time to even try. sad.gif Manipulating text, numbers, dates, and times within Excel is currently the limit of my programming ability, because it's the only skill I've used continuously.

--Emily
Stu
Superb Emily, wonderful resource. Thank you! smile.gif
fredk
Thanks again for all your work on this, Emily. One comment about the latest iteration: I see what you meant by "garish". Perhaps just the top line of text ("SSI RIGHT BLUE" or whatever) could have the appropriate colour background, or even just the foreground of the top line in that colour, with the background default. That should be enough to quickly locate rgb triples or whatever.
ElkGroveDan
This is really useful Emily. I like this a lot. Thanks for all your effort.
Airbag
Good compromise. And I like the one-line Sol summaries too.

Airbag

Well, one minor style sheet comment - add a small (say 5px) margin to the pages so the text doesn't sit against the left margin. And also a "last modified" timestamp to all the pages so we know when something changed.
climber
Very handy Emily, thanks.
I'm just thinking that I feel I'm looking at a familiar place now but I also realize that none of these images existed only 11 days ago smile.gif
MizarKey
Emily, you did a great job.

I thank the Phoenix team for getting data/images out as fast as they are. It's too bad the MER pages couldn't have been shared so they wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel to store the images. I know that sounds like I'm complaining, I'm really not. I'm just a fan of standardization.
mars loon
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 5 2008, 07:31 PM) *
OK, here's a new and improved version based on all your comments. Still need to wrap more explanatory text around it, but it might be a little more useable:
http://planetary.org/data/phoenix/raw/
Let me know what you think.

This is very nice, helpful and informative Emily !

the short summaries are an excellent thought and guide

one comment: For RAC, the Max Planck Institute should be added to the credits

for example : http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?...2665&cID=42

ken
Tman
QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 5 2008, 09:48 PM) *
...I see what you meant by "garish". Perhaps just the top line of text ("SSI RIGHT BLUE" or whatever) could have the appropriate colour background, or even just the foreground of the top line in that colour, with the background default...

It is the size of the table cells (thumbnail and text below) that gives the amount of background color. Text coloring, like RED written in red, could be the solution. Otherwise it also works well without colors I think.
jamescanvin
Runout sequences aren't all bad!

Here is the Sol 10 colour sequence with the sol 2 one. The relative positions should be correct.

James
climber
In the "RAC - Lander and Under-side observations" topic I wrote : The thrusters could also have removed the "white layer" (if this is not ice) and get to the ice then. In this theory, the white layer would have spread all over the place.
Ugordan replied : Why don't we see it, then?
Looking at james picture here above, I feel that the soil is whiter close to the lander than further.
If I'm right, we'll have :

Soil
====
White layer
====
Ice
====

We'll know very soon but I wonder if you've got the same feeling of a white powder spread around the lander or if you think is just image processing trick.
ugordan
What you're seeing in James' image is the opposition effect on Martian soil, the point opposite to the sun exhibits an conspicuous brightening seen on many airless worlds as well. It's more or less a signature effect of regolith.

HiRISE images of the lander on the other hand show the soil around the lander is in fact darker, not brighter, similar to what you'd expect for removal of superficial surface dust layer.
climber
QUOTE (ugordan @ Jun 6 2008, 12:08 AM) *
HiRISE images of the lander on the other hand show the soil around the lander is in fact darker, not brighter, similar to what you'd expect for removal of superficial surface dust layer.

Ah! I forgot to think of the broader view. Thanks!
Big brother's looking
Oersted
What the teams behind the various space craft need to remember, in general terms, is that all those raw image pages are not seen by "the average internet surfer dude", but mostly by "space nerds" who prefer easily accessible info and pics rather than cool java programming and stylish but non-informative picture pages.

By all means, have "cool" pages somewhere in your site, but limit it to the pages that will attract casual visitors, and then offer the serious databases somewhere behind the fluff.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Airbag @ Jun 5 2008, 11:30 AM) *
Another minor formatting comment - it would be nicer to let the images "float" I think as now for each sol/sequence/camera type you sometimes have to scroll sideways on the browser (at least in IE) to see them all. That means you have to use sideways as well as up down scrolling, a very painful combination.

QUOTE (Airbag @ Jun 5 2008, 12:23 PM) *
Well, one minor style sheet comment - add a small (say 5px) margin to the pages so the text doesn't sit against the left margin. And also a "last modified" timestamp to all the pages so we know when something changed.

For a long time I've put off learning how to use the "float" class -- I think in tables and want everything to stay put -- but it does make sense to use it here, so I went off and did my homework and learned how to make use of it and now the thumbnails float so no more right-left scrolling. You're welcome. smile.gif
http://planetary.org/data/phoenix/raw/index.html

Rather than put a date on the individual pages that I will probably forget to update, I think I'll just put last-modified commentary on the index page.

By the way, I tried to ask nicely today in the press conference why they take so few images in the runout sols. It seems to me that if they're doing no arm activities they ought to gave time to take a boatload of SSI images. The response was that the science team is looking into expanding these plans, as "we find ourselves using these days." I think that while they expected to lose days (their plan allows for mission success to be accomplished in 60 sols of activity, so it allows for up to 1 in 3 sols to be lost, the same figure that was used for planning rover success goals), I think that in their planning minds those sols would be lost due to anomalies on Phoenix rather than anomalies on orbiters. So now they're scrambling to make better use of Phoenix when sols of activity are lost due to comm problems that have nothing to do with their own spacecraft.

--Emily
Deimos
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 6 2008, 05:10 AM) *
By the way, I tried to ask nicely today in the press conference why they take so few images in the runout sols. It seems to me that if they're doing no arm activities they ought to gave time to take a boatload of SSI images.

The runouts are built by the same set of people who do tactical plans, did writing and validation of our commands before landing, and are continuing to validate things like our sample delivery commands. So, the runouts end up low on the totem pole. The first was a simple one just to have something. The second was considerably more ambitious, but with a small PM downlink. If we get all the data down, it will easily trump the first. I say "if" because we put runout data in the bottom bin for saving. Data we command on purpose is both downlinked and saved in flash first. Both of those are a factor: MER has maybe 20 sols worth of downlink that can be stroed in flash; with Phoenix, flash is 114 Mb and downlinks have sometimes been well over that (counting all passes in a sol). Much of our potentially repeatable imaging is fire and forget, and when things go wrong with comm, it can just go into the "forget" bin. Before you ask: Scout. Many of us fought the flash battle, it was easy to see coming. While it was painfully difficult to get the extra millions to make EDL safe (money well spent), it was not possible to get the extra half million or so to use modern flash capabilities. And, before you ask, yes it would have cost that much, or more.

Anyway, the science team is now building more ambitious runout plans, but it may be a week or two before we use them. The new runout is the sol 10 runout with a new pan section. But, the pan is updated to a more ambitious mission success pan (stereo at full res, less downsampling for color). As soon as we have more downlink (sols 10 and 11 are low data volume) we'll get the pan going. Sol 10 was supposed to start it with some (I think) dramatic images, but we'll just have to get back to that later.

Mark
jamescanvin
Note that quite a bit more colour came down to add to that pan tosol, it's now a reasonable sols worth. smile.gif

I'm not sure if I'm get time to process it today, busy this evening (and for the whole weekend), might have a go at lunchtime...

James
jamescanvin
Very rough and ready but gives you the idea - a better one next week when i have the time

elakdawalla
Oh, my, that's cool. It brings home the "like a fishing pole" comment Ashitey Trebi-Ollenu made about the Phoenix RA.

--Emily
ugordan
A sort of a salvage job on the automatically generated mosaics. Not accurate, merely for aesthetic purposes. Obviously not the complete runout image sequence was included in the mosaics.

The pointing errors are pretty nasty, hopefully there'll be some sort of a fix for that.
elakdawalla
My page is now updated to sol 11.

Thanks to those of you who've sent PMs with scripting help and notes about some broken code. With my vacation looming I probably won't be able to get to any modifications or stuff until after I get back -- at which point my efforts may have been rendered obsolete by someone who can do better...

--Emily
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.