Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phoenix has landed!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Gonzz
I'm working late tonight at the moment, deadline next morning, so it's perfect for waiting for those first few pics smile.gif
The first views from an alien landscape, so incredibly far and yet now so close

Very emotional landing, specially doing it live here with all of you.

Many Congrats for the Pheonix team, thanks so much for sharing your vision with all of us.

Spirit and Oppy have company!
centsworth_II
QUOTE (TheChemist @ May 25 2008, 07:22 PM) *
Shall we get solar panel confirmation any minute now ?

Maybe during the checkoff in five minutes power production will indicate the state of the panels.
Don't know if it will be clearly stated at that time, but surely the first pictures to come down in a little over an hour will show the panels in all their glory!
Leither
Emily has taken her laptop into the press briefing - see her Ustream. Sounding good.
Sym05
I recorded the NASA TV windows media stream during EDL. About 70 MB. I'm trying to upload on youtube... wink.gif
JRehling
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ May 25 2008, 04:32 PM) *
And I remember following the Viking mission as a child. No live coverage back then

I think my two quickest streams of information were National Geographic and hardcover books.

But by Pioneer Venus I'd started to make use of the small-town newspaper.

And after Voyager at Jupiter, Science News.

Galileo's arrival was when I joined the world of "real time".

Seems like we're at the end of that evolution now. We could only cut seconds off.
Gonzz
Someone please add a link to Emily's Ustream, can't get through to Planetary Society blog
Tom Tamlyn
QUOTE (climber @ May 25 2008, 08:26 PM) *
This is an unMANNINGspaceflight

My mistake. An off-hand comment by Doug led me to think that Rob was part of the Phoenix EDL team, but maybe he was just part of a review panel. But Rob always has something interesting to say.

>>I'm not giving Rob the questions till after Phoenix is away smile.gif
>>I'm not going to get the blame if Phoenix has EDL issues
scalbers
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/emily-lakdawalla
Gonzz
Thanks!!
climber
Link to Emily's ustream, PM are live there
Leither
This is Emily's best ever - an informal press briefing, look how relaxed those guys are.
climber
Everything looks nominal. Only parachutte deployed 7 second late which support we'll have landed long.
climber
Venting HAS taken place !
Decepticon
HI Emily!

Love those updates!
Sunspot
UMSF has been abandoned unsure.gif
climber
Not quite, Sir, not quite
Stu
QUOTE (Sunspot @ May 26 2008, 02:02 AM) *
UMSF has been abandoned unsure.gif

No, it hasn't, everyone's just flipping between about ten diff sites smile.gif
TheChemist
Ustream was cool, thanks Emily !

I have to be at work in 4 hours ... mmm.. Should I stay or should I go ? (to sleep, that is) :-)
belleraphon1

Trying to catch the comments in mission control....

Parachute deploy 7 seconds late.... they were a little long on landing... helium venting was succwessful... that is what I have gotten so far....

Craig
Decepticon
Are there any GOOD streaming sites (any commentary or LIVE interviews ) the more windows I got open the better!

I got 5 open now!
climber
They've retreived data and they are processing BUT I didn't get what they are talking about
belleraphon1
QUOTE (climber @ May 25 2008, 09:08 PM) *
They've retreived data and they are processing BUT I didn't get what they are talking about

Believe they are talking about the MEX data...

Craig
imipak
QUOTE (Stu @ May 26 2008, 01:03 AM) *
everyone's just flipping between about ten diff sites smile.gif

The s:n ratio - or rather the signal:troll/griefer ratio - here, vs ustream, vs IRC was interesting.
Sunspot
When is MRO likely to return the image obtained during the descent? I guess it's not really a high priority right now?
climber
Emily said MRO will attempt to get a picture of Phoenix tomorrow! We should have one on friday if not succesfull. Whoua
Norm Hartnett
Does anyone know if NASA TV/PAO is switching over to surface operations at UA?
Sunspot
UH OH... that nervousness is starting to return... lets hope all the POST landing events have been completed successfully. smile.gif
Gonzz
NASA TV Live coverage is back smile.gif
Leither
Nasa TV starting up again - but they can't have pics yet.
mars loon
Peter Smith is on Live now on NASA TV

he is talking surface operations "They are ready to go. We will analyze from surface down to ice layer""

First few hours are all preprogrammed. We willl take pictures of solar arrays first. they lander foot . then lander horizon"

New Data/Images expected in a few minutes
Norm Hartnett
Looks like they are going to cover surface ops from EDL/JPL. At least for the first pictures which is all PAO will cover.

Hopefully UA will do as good as or better job than the MER folks have done.

kwan3217
Did anyone catch the preliminary lat/lon they just said on NasaTV?
climber
I wondering whether Rui survive the landing! He's nowhere to be seen.
mhoward
QUOTE (kwan3217 @ May 25 2008, 07:38 PM) *
Did anyone catch the preliminary lat/lon they just said on NasaTV?

Spaceflight Now is reporting "68.22 degrees latitude and 234.3 degrees longitude".
Sunspot
The landing point appears to be 68.22 degrees latitude and 234.3 degrees longitude.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/phoenix/status.html
Gonzz
Waiting downlink
Shaka
QUOTE (climber @ May 25 2008, 03:41 PM) *
I wondering whether Rui survive the landing! He's nowhere to be seen.

Finally hugged the wrong guy. sad.gif
Gonzz
Odissey is transmiting data

Maybe Rui had a few SuperBock too many laugh.gif
deglr6328
WOW I've never seen this many people here before! What a great night! I was actually with my family during landing 'cuz we were having a birthday party. I was watching live on the science channel when at T-5 minutes to landing my grandma was like "ok time for cake! *clicks TV off*" I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!". I don't think I've ever ran for the TV remote so fast in my life! rolleyes.gif
Bjorn Jonsson
Power positive so the solar arrays appear to have deployed!
mars loon
1st picture down. solar array deployed !!

lander leg , plus horizon too

wow !!!
Norm Hartnett
Looks like Doug nailed it!

Pictures posted in UA Gallery http://fawkes1.lpl.arizona.edu/gallery.php
The Singing Badger
PICTURE!!!!!!! blink.gif
Tom Tamlyn
Did I see a solar panel image?
volcanopele
Wow, that's flat!
ElkGroveDan
Holy cow look at those pictures! Doug was right, (except for the small rocks)!!!
John Flushing
I just saw a picture of the foot of the landing craft.
Bjorn Jonsson
"So few rocks" (as far as I can tell from the images on NASA TV).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.