Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phoenix has landed!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
John Flushing
I see the solar arrays have deployed!
Leither
Those are just beautiful - so, so good. I want more!
ElkGroveDan
Tom Tamlyn
Did I see hexagonal patterns on the landscape?
helvick
Kudos to the team for releasing images this rapidly - they are up on the web site as fast as I'm seeing them come in over NASA TV.
ElkGroveDan
Note the object on the horizon. Large rock? or backshell?
dvandorn
I was really impressed -- I had the UofAZ site up and, within just a few seconds of when the images started to show up on NASA TV, they started populating on the Images from the Lander page.

I'm really happy right now...

-the other Doug
Stephen
It's great to see Phoenix safely on Mars!

(BTW, having it down and with all systems apparently healthy means that for the first time ever there will be three functioning landers on Mars.)

======
Stephen
SpaceListener
Even faster in posting pictures from Mars in less than two hours!!! a Record! laugh.gif
tuvas
I remember some of the team wanting a few rocks for some science purposes. Better luck in the panoramic view... It certainly does look like a barren area.
kwan3217
Congrats to the Ops guys for getting the images out the door this quickly! lg_318.jpg wasn't on the ground for more than a minute before it was live on the net.
scalbers
One of the footpad images has a relatively bright spot above that is still in shadow. Could this be exposed ice?
Thu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 26 2008, 09:01 AM) *
Note the object on the horizon. Large rock? or backshell?

Large rock, I suppose. This one should be around several feet tall.
Btw, anybody knows when the first panorama picture will be beamed back?
kwan3217
lg_320.jpg? Looks to me like its a "hole" in the lander shadow, like there is a triangluar hole in the spacecraft over the leg or something like that.
Stu
Oh wow, look at that... lots of little pebbles to cast shadows in the slanting sunlight.... an intriguing "something" on the horizon... features on the ground... Flat? Maybe. Dull? Absolutely not!

Triumph for everyone concerned. What a fantastic night!
ToSeek
QUOTE (scalbers @ May 25 2008, 09:06 PM) *
One of the footpad images has a relatively bright spot above that is still in shadow. Could this be exposed ice?

I think that's just a little spot that's not in shadow. Take a look at the large version:

http://fawkes1.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_320.jpg

It looks just like the sunlit part on the left.
tuvas
If they could get these 6 images back so fast, well, it might be soon indeed. Hmmm... Still, I'm guessing about 10 hours...
scalbers
QUOTE (kwan3217 @ May 26 2008, 02:07 AM) *
lg_320.jpg? Looks to me like its a "hole" in the lander shadow, like there is a triangluar hole in the spacecraft over the leg or something like that.

Yes, thanks. The higher resolution of the on-line image supports your interpretation nicely.
kwan3217
They are already getting part of a panorama back, look at lg_331.jpg. The bottom of it looks to be at -30deg, about 4m away, still out of reach of the arm.
volcanopele
Holy simoleon!

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_331.jpg
Bjorn Jonsson
Wow, that was fast smile.gif. I now have all of these images on my computer and now that the excitement is finally over I'm starting to feel the effects of the fact that it's 02:15am where I live wink.gif.
ToSeek
QUOTE (Thu @ May 25 2008, 09:06 PM) *
Large rock, I suppose. This one should be around several feet tall.
Btw, anybody knows when the first panorama picture will be beamed back?

Looks like they're working on it already!:

http://fawkes1.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_331.jpg

alan
in stereo
Click to view attachment
Pavel
We have three working probes on the surface of Mars at the same time. That's something even the designers of those probes didn't expect!
Bjorn Jonsson
Oops, even more images. Looks like I won't be able to go to sleep any time soon wink.gif.
simonbp
Look at how rounded those embedded cobble-sized rocks are (in the footpad images); presumably glacial drop stones?

Simon wink.gif
tanjent
Need advice on how to download and save the images. Everything seems to be in Flash Player mode. Is anybody getting jpg's or some other non-proprietary format?
Thu
QUOTE (ToSeek @ May 26 2008, 09:11 AM) *
Looks like they're working on it already!:

http://fawkes1.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_331.jpg

The scene looks pretty muck like Doug Ellison's imagination. I wonder if he's ever been there laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
Well it looks like we are sitting on top of some nice polygons. Should be interesting.

ToSeek
More panorama work:

http://fawkes1.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_334.jpg
Stu
Look at that...

http://fawkes1.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_346.jpg

nprev
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 25 2008, 07:10 PM) *

Suh-WEEET!!!! smile.gif I KNEW there'd be lotsa little cracks...there's a <clink>load of ice not far below!!!!
Leither
QUOTE (alan @ May 26 2008, 03:12 AM) *
in stereo

Wow that really shows their shape. Did I hear someone say each is about as big as Phoenix ~5ft across
ElkGroveDan
Press briefing coming up on NASA TV
kungpostyle
What is that?

Reed
QUOTE (tanjent @ May 25 2008, 07:14 PM) *
Need advice on how to download and save the images. Everything seems to be in Flash Player mode. Is anybody getting jpg's or some other non-proprietary format?

There's a list of download options on the lower right side of the flash viewer thing. Make sure it isn't being blocked by a popup blocker.
Bjorn Jonsson
This terrain looks rather familiar. There's a lot of fairly (or possibly very) similar terrain here in Iceland, except that it's not that flat all the way to the horizon. I need to dig up a comparison picture.
SpaceListener
QUOTE (tanjent @ May 25 2008, 09:14 PM) *

Otherwise you can save them from http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/phoenix/images/lg_338.jpg
Sunspot
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 26 2008, 03:18 AM) *
Press briefing coming up on NASA TV

Immediately, or in a short while? It's already 3.25am here lol
nprev
Good grief...237 users active on the forum...is this a record?
antipode
Interesting bright feature in front of a small mound on the horizon in the right hand part of 346.jpg. A sunlit rock I suppose.

P
Ant103
Kungpost' : maybe the backshell? or the heatshield? Or maybe an artefact?
SpaceListener
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 25 2008, 09:14 PM) *

The surface is combed by the pulse thrusters toward away. I seem!! What do you see?
climber
I'd go for ice.

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ May 26 2008, 04:23 AM) *
The surface is combed by the pulse thrusters toward away. I seems!! What do you see?

Agree
scalbers
QUOTE (Sunspot @ May 26 2008, 02:21 AM) *
Immediately, or in a short while? It's already 3.25am here lol

If I caught it right it would be in an hour and 35 minutes from now... or 0400UTC.
helvick
QUOTE (nprev @ May 26 2008, 03:21 AM) *
Good grief...237 users active on the forum...is this a record?

We had 279 active users at the end of EDL which is as high as I saw it but it might have nudged up a few more. Whatever the absolute number is this is the busiest UMSF has ever been while I've been watching and Doug's new server and host have both held up to the task.
imipak
Looks like absolutely textbook polygonal frost heave - hopefully that means the ice will be at the depth expected. My wild-eyed speculation about landing at a tilt wasn't completely hatstand, after all, I think - it looks like there's (?) 30 - 50cm vertical relief in places.

And how's about that for fast image release? ESA eat your heart out... that is how tax-funded space science outreach should be done.

edit: yes, definite thruster exhaust effects; it looks like you could get down to ice by scrubbing with a stiff broom.
Ant103
About gallery, are they expected to make a better, more easyer? Because it's not very simple to distinguish camera, filters, etc.
kungpostyle
Yeah, most likely part of the ship cast off during EDL. or a compression artifact. It would be cool if was a piece of ice
Stu
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.