Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phoenix EDL SUCCESS!!!!!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Rakhir
I opened my peanuts jar when NASA TV coverage began.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ustrax @ May 25 2008, 05:42 PM) *
Amazing...I can't quite understand how does spacEurope get way beyond the 1000 visitors...

The countdown to landing clock on SpaceEurope seems to be about 5 hours off. I hope none of your visitors is fooled into thinking they have time for a nap!
brellis
QUOTE (Rakhir @ May 25 2008, 03:54 PM) *
I opened my peanuts jar when NASA TV coverage began.

Bunch o' nuts 'round here, hehe!
SFJCody
That's within nominal peanut eating parameters. laugh.gif
Sunspot
OMG.. I just found some peanuts in a kitchen cupboard left over from Christmas ... best before date is 29th March 2008.

.....eats a couple.

ustrax
Guess that less than an hour is time to listen to this...

centsworth_II...it works for me perfectly...I think...but I'm...for hours...on wiiwii mode... rolleyes.gif
SFJCody
A peanut smiley would be good at this point.
kwan3217
The timeline on the NASA blog latest entry shows entry and landing happening about 19 seconds before the realtime display on dmuller.net
stewjack
pioneer wrote:

I read somewhere only 1 trench will be dug. Is this true?

---

I got this material from an official source but I don't have a link. It doesn't answer your question but it is related.

Anticipated pace of Mars surface operations wheel.gif

-- If operations proceed relatively smoothly, the first eight to 10 days after landing will be a "characterization phase" of checking out and understanding the performance of the spacecraft's power and thermal systems, as well as the robotic arm and other instruments.
-- At the end of the characterization phase (date tba), the first sample of surface soil will be delivered to the Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer onboard Phoenix.
-- Analysis of soil from the surface in both the Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer and in the Microscopy, Electrochemistry and Conductivity Analyzer will likely take 10 to 15 days if all processes go well. After that, each additional sampling cycle will reach a deeper subsurface level, in increments of about two to three centimeters. At each different layer, collecting and analyzing samples is expected to take 10 to 15 days, barring operational difficulties.
-- How soon the digging reaches the expected icy layer will depend on how far below the surface that layer lies. Estimates in advance of landing range from two to five centimeters. If the ice is at the deeper end of that range, the first analysis of an icy sample could be in July or later.

Jack
paxdan
Go Phoenix!!1

pioneer
TCM cabinet heaters have been activated.
climber
Check Emily blog; SS said the'll test driving with the arm out and it works. SO, Oppy's gona drive this week. Good mood, good mood

I think, I've spoted Ed Weiller on NTV.
Gonzz
Fasten your seat belt and stow your tray table, we are 48 minutes from landing

Go Pheonix, safe landing

elakdawalla
Actually that was prolly a bit stronger than what SS said...better modify that with his usual qualifiers...they haven't made a "go-nogo" decision on that yet.

--E
Stu
VERY well done on the UStream chat Emily, it went really well. We chased "tatoo guy" off for ya! :-)
nprev
My peanuts have been deployed, and now I have to wiiwii....
kwan3217
For those watching streams on the Net, be aware that all streams are delayed, sometimes as much as a minute.

"Absurd Accuracy is Our Obsession"
--Kwan Systems official motto
Pete B.
The Science Channel on cable in the US has coverage that just started and will go until 9 EST .
ugordan
Odyssey is GO for EDL comm support...
PaulW
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but live coverage just started on Science Channel. If your cable system doesn't carry NASA TV and you don't want to watch it on computer this looks like a reasonable alternative.

Two hours of live coverage is scheduled, followed by repeats of one hour MRO documentary and Roving Mars.

Paul
volcanopele
hey Emily, thanks for answering my question on when the HiRISE images will hit the ground. Was curious if I should head into work for a bit tomorrow to hover over someone's shoulder.
lyford
Is there a way to set this thread to auto refresh? I should really know ow to work the board by now smile.gif

And it's so weird to see Emily here and then over at ustream and then at PB..... it's like that episode of the brady bunch when peter had two dates for prom and he had to keep running back and forth between them smile.gif

Dominik
This is the first time that I watch a landing live on NASA TV. Watching the Real-Time Simulation on dmuller.net as well. smile.gif

~5 minutes until the pass of phobos orbit will be received on earth ^^...
Graham
Changing batteries?
Copy that !
climber
QUOTE (nprev @ May 26 2008, 01:07 AM) *
My peanuts have been deployed, and now I have to wiiwii....

Don't play with the joystick ok ?
kwan3217
QUOTE (lyford @ May 25 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Is there a way to set this thread to auto refresh? I should really know ow to work the board by now smile.gif

If you are using Firefox, get the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115 ReloadEvery addon
RubberoidLifeform
Anybody know if there's a feed that can go to full screen (or something larger than on nasa tv)?
Stu
QUOTE (RubberoidLifeform @ May 26 2008, 12:14 AM) *
Anybody know if there's a feed that can go to full screen (or something larger than on nasa tv)?

This site has a full screen option...

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/nasa/index.html
brellis
QUOTE (kwan3217 @ May 25 2008, 04:12 PM) *
If you are using Firefox, get the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115 ReloadEvery addon

Thx kwan! smile.gif
Graham
With a PC use F5 to refresh
Alex Chapman
Looks like dmuller is ahead of time on pressurisation
mars loon
30 minutes to landing

GO Phoenix

watching NASA TV, CNN, Science Channel , TPS simultaneiusly

got a good feeling

ken
climber
And the big bosses are there to watch...
Dominik
Propulsion system pressurized! Go Phoenix!
Graham
I'm worried about Attitude Control - He could have gone for a pee or he could have gone home to shave off that awful beard!
RubberoidLifeform
QUOTE (Stu @ May 25 2008, 06:16 PM) *
This site has a full screen option...

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/nasa/index.html

I'm not getting that option. I'm using Firefox - does it work on IE?
climber
QUOTE (RubberoidLifeform @ May 26 2008, 01:21 AM) *

Right click on the image and full screen
Graham
Not full screen with me in IE
Gonzz
I am now Go for beer, that will surely change my atitude control laugh.gif
Adam
QUOTE (RubberoidLifeform @ May 26 2008, 01:21 AM) *

Yeah, it works for me in IE.
Dominik
Just open the following link with Windows Media Player 10 or 11:

http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx
I'm watching it in fullscreen...

EDIT:
VLC Media Player seems to work too...
Graham
Right clicking does it fine
eeergo
Try double-clicking on the image, it works when the main button doesn't answer.
RubberoidLifeform
QUOTE (climber @ May 25 2008, 06:22 PM) *
Right click on the image and full screen

Thanks climber. I'm so nervous I forgot to right-click blink.gif
Alex Chapman
Has everyone else lost Emilys blog enteries?
SFJCody
Arrgh, the tension... it's just hit me that this is really going to happen.
elakdawalla
OUr ^%*(&*&^$*% website just went down!!
ugordan
QUOTE (Alex Chapman @ May 26 2008, 01:26 AM) *
Has everyone else lost Emilys blog enteries?

Yep, looks like it crashed. Pardon the pun biggrin.gif

So did my machine on a related note. &(/(!!"&%()/ " virus!!!!
SpaceListener
What is the reason that Phoenix will use Pulse thrusters to land on Mars instead of chemical thrusters which were used others spacecrafts landing on Moon?

I know that the 2 Vikings used the same Pulse Thrusters Technology. What are the advantages of using that technology?

One important thing is that the spacecraft will have about 600 kg on Earth or about 198 kgs on Mars.

I suspect that the pulsed thrusters has an advantage to damage less on the surface than a chemical engine.
Roby72
I ve seen good luck peanuts !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.