Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
SFJCody
laugh.gif laugh.gif mars.gif mars.gif
SpaceListener
Brrrr!!!! So cold !!!! Welcome to Mars! laugh.gif
TheChemist
Yes !!!
Here's to the good people at NASA and everybody contributing to their enormous efforts.

Congrats guys !!
PFK
Good grief smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
I have a confession to make. I had no peanuts, so I was eating cheddar flavored potato chips.
OWW
did I hear someone say 40 or 14 degree tilt????
kto
0.25 degree tilt?
The Singing Badger
Thanks to everyone who created simulations, feeds, etc. This was incredible fun.
Ant103
Excellent! This was very exciting!
Hail Phoenix, "welcome on an other planet" smile.gif.
Graham
* * * * 00.53.52: TOUCHDOWN * * * *

00.54.55: Phoenix radio off.

01.06: SOLAR ARRAYS OPEN
01.28: MRO data playback begins

01.30: Flight Operations post-landing poll.

01.30: Mars Express playback (43 mins)

02.43: FIRST IMAGES EXPECTED!

...........However its bed for me - tis late here but I'm so proud to have been present.
kwan3217
At my site we have 150% margin on peanuts...
Graham
P.S. Sorry - timings are for UK - got from Stu's blog - Biyee
centsworth_II
QUOTE (kto @ May 25 2008, 07:59 PM) *
0.25 degree tilt?

Don't know the significance of it, but I heard someone exclaim: "quarter degree tilt."

edit: yeah, that's it! 1/4 degree tilt!
Reckless
Absolutely brilliant thanks to all for helping co-ordinate all the timings.
Watching the simulation at the same time as watching NASA tv was great and the music went well with the comentary.
Phew!
Well done to all. lots of fun to follow
Roy pancam.gif laugh.gif
kto
that's right, 0.25 deg tilt
mars loon
yes !!

0.25 degree tilt confirmed !!

awaiting solar array deploy
Pete B.
According to project manager Phoenix is almost exactly on azimuth orientation - EW
Tom Tamlyn
>0.25 degree tilt confirmed !!

That's flat. I wonder if we'll see any rocks at all.

TTT
SFJCody
What with the flatness and the dd.gif I advise everyone to examine the first images of the footpads when they come down for some anomalous red footwear.
Alex Chapman
I think someone must have laid a concrete slab for Phoenix to Land on to get just 0.25 degrees of tilt. No chance of rocks under any of the feet!!!
Pando
QUOTE (climber @ May 25 2008, 04:48 PM) *
Hi Pando, old mate !

Hey climber, good to see you again!
gndonald
QUOTE (imipak @ May 26 2008, 07:57 AM) *
Champagne and cigar are go.

I only have orange juice, but it's the spirit of the thing that counts smile.gif
Alex Chapman
Now all the excitement is over it’s the long quiet wait till those first images arrive. Its 1:30am here in the UK but there is no going to bed for this space cadet. I couldn’t think of going to bed before I get my first look at Green Valley. Got to see just how flat and featureless it really. God it’s nice to be down
volcanopele
Just wanna confirm - it is 6:43pm PDT that the first images are expected. I have a few friends coming over to check them out and I want to be sure I gave them the right time.
Stu
Same here Alex, no way I'm turning in until Ive seen those first pics...!
Julius
I believe Peter Smith was giving peanuts to the people in the control room if you were watching on Nasa TV during EDL.Its great to be on Mars again!
climber
I've tried to switch sleeping hours and I 1/2 succeed blink.gif
I've got to leave home in another 2h20 minutes to catch a plane and I'm sure the pictures will be down by then smile.gif
They HAVE too. Mind Phoenix, we know where you are (I mean, at least Tim53 must know it wink.gif )
mhoward
QUOTE (climber @ May 25 2008, 05:42 PM) *
Mind Phoenix, we know where you are (I mean, at least Tim53 must know it wink.gif )

Based on how things have gone so far, I'd guess that's exactly dead center of the landing elipse. But we'll find out soon enough smile.gif
Alex Chapman
Emily is transmitting an impromptu news conference on ustream
tuvas
I was able to post a bit of what the experience at Kuiper Space Sciences was at my blog at http://tuvas21.blogspot.com , it was pretty boring really, but, well, yah... I was able to get more information from there then I was from web sources, although it was basically a play of NASA TV.

BTW, I do know at least one of the Tucson channels had live coverage, I just don't know which one...
John Flushing
The New York Times posted an article about the successful landing. I do not know if it has already been posted here.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 25 2008, 07:34 PM) *
Just wanna confirm - it is 6:43pm PDT that the first images are expected.

The way I understand it is that at that time the images will be coming into JPL and
any chance for us to see them will be on NASA TV shots of the screens at JPL.

They will be on full display at the press briefing (formerly scheduled for 9pm pacific time but
now the NASA TV site says: ""9:30 p.m. - Mars Phoenix Lander Briefing - First Downlink of Data - JPL")
rlorenz
QUOTE (kwan3217 @ May 25 2008, 05:15 PM) *
What is the exact peanut deployment sequence? I have my jar of peanuts, unopened. Am I supposed to wait until EDL, until we hear it succeed?

I wish they'd shut up about the peanuts. We ate peanuts at the Mars Polar Lander
arrival - they didnt work.

I'm really glad this looks like it went well.
Alex Chapman
Just saw a snipit of News about the Phoenix landing on Sky News. Don;t know if they carried it live
nprev
NOW you tell me...I'm personally not far from producing Snickers Bars for the next week...
Mongo
QUOTE (rlorenz @ May 26 2008, 02:01 AM) *
I wish they'd shut up about the peanuts. We ate peanuts at the Mars Polar Lander
arrival - they didnt work.

I think that the MPL disaster was due to a conversion mixup -- you were supposed to eat CIRCUS peanuts!
centsworth_II
QUOTE (rlorenz @ May 25 2008, 08:01 PM) *
We ate peanuts at the Mars Polar Lander arrival - they didnt work.

Well, you can't say they didn't work this time! tongue.gif
Greg Hullender
QUOTE (nprev @ May 25 2008, 06:07 PM) *
NOW you tell me...I'm personally not far from producing Snickers Bars for the next week...

This is why silly superstitions have no place in science and technology -- now I'm going to have to steer clear of candy bars for a while! :-)

--Greg
marsman
Congratulations NASA and JPL! My whole family watched it on NASA TV. Fantastic! Got to go to see the first post-landing briefing now.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ May 25 2008, 08:15 PM) *
This is why silly superstitions have no place in science and technology --

How about using Imperial units of measure?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (nprev @ May 25 2008, 08:07 PM) *
I'm personally not far from producing Snickers Bars for the next week...

Oh! I just now got it! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
MaxSt
Pictures!

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=0&cID=7
kungpostyle
Awesome, This is awesome. Mars, nasa, the internet. A great combination!

From Mars to my living room, wow.
MahFL
Cool pictures
nprev
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 25 2008, 06:35 PM) *
Oh! I just now got it! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

...yes, my apologies! I REALLY shouldn't drink beer & post... rolleyes.gif
J.J.
^
I know the feeling! wink.gif

Utopia Planitia without the rocks...

Congrats to djellison for pegging the terrain, and most of all to the Phoenix team for getting us here. smile.gif What would we do without you?

-J.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.