Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Planetary Society Rover Updates
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
algorimancer
QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 1 2006, 09:38 AM) *

Nice article, good depth (though no mention of Bradley/"Hawking"). It sounds like the official name of Epsilon may be "Emma Dean", plus they have names for the other nearby craters Zeta and Eta, and another small crater nobody's felt the need to refer to. They mention the names: "Emma Dean, Kitty Clyde's Sister, Maid of the Canyon, and Canonita". Would anyone be able to formally tie them to the appropriate craters on the Route Map?
Jeff7
"The McMurdo panorama is probably 8 or 9 Imax screens worth of data, a ridiculous amount of data."

Insane. Maybe the Roving Mars movie folks should have waited until the mission was totally completely over, whenever that might be, to finally make it. Unless they plan for a sequel. All this from a crippled rover starved of energy. The designers, builders, operators, and everyone else involved, really did an excellent job. I just have a thing for well-built machinery.

"It's much easier driving," said Squyres. "It's such a thrill not to have to deal with those big, damn ripples anymore -- we're finally done with those."
Big, damn ripples. biggrin.gif
CosmicRocker
A sequel will definitely be in order at some point in the future. These machines are clearly examples of some of the finest devices yet created by our species. Engineers...no matter how much you want to hate them, in the end, you've got to love them. I still cannot believe how beautifully both of the rovers have peformed this long time, under very harsh conditions. My hat is off to the people who worried about the details.

Regarding the crater names, it does appear that Epsilon is Emma Dean, since the yellow line on a previously posted travel map "sideswipes" Epsilon, and that line so far remains pretty close to the route travelled to this point. Beyond that, I have no guesses for the other crater names.
Stephen
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 2 2006, 06:48 AM) *
Regarding the crater names, it does appear that Epsilon is Emma Dean, since the yellow line on a previously posted travel map "sideswipes" Epsilon, and that line so far remains pretty close to the route travelled to this point.

Is that Epsilon/Emma Dean they are now "sideswiping" in the latest exploratorium images such as:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P0685R0M1.JPG

======
Stephen
CosmicRocker
Yes, I am sure it must be.
dvandorn
QUOTE (Stephen @ Sep 4 2006, 07:29 PM) *

You know, this image is another example of a Mars that looks unlike any other place on Mars we've ever seen. The Viking landing sites, the Pathfinder site, even Gusev -- they're all rocky, to one degree or another.

This place -- this is eerily unlike anything else.

Gives you an appreciation, deep in your gut, of how widely varied a planet Mars actually is.

This is the kind of thing that really excites my sense of wonder... smile.gif

-the other Doug
RNeuhaus
The Meridiani Planum is like a dessert place as to the Earth. That place has so few boulders if we compare to the others places as seen by Vicky I (Chryse Plantia) and Vicky II (Isidis Plantia) and Pathfinder (Vallis Ares). That lead me to think that Meridiani had a very slow water flux or fewer water when comparing to the Vicky and Pathfinder places. These places had left big stones which might mean that place had a strong or much current of water which had eroded the land and left big boulders and stones.

Rodolfo
Pando
Vicky I (Chryse Plantia) and Vicky II (Isidis Plantia)

I'm sure you mean "Viking"..... tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Stephen
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 5 2006, 03:36 PM) *
The Meridiani Planum is like a dessert place as to the Earth. That place has so few boulders if we compare to the others places as seen by Vicky I (Chryse Plantia) and Vicky II (Isidis Plantia) and Pathfinder (Vallis Ares). That lead me to think that Meridiani had a very slow water flux or fewer water when comparing to the Vicky and Pathfinder places. These places had left big stones which might mean that place had a strong or much current of water which had eroded the land and left big boulders and stones.

Actually it reminds me more of what you'd expect to find on one of Earth's abyssal plains were you to drain its oceans dry: a very flat and very featureless landscape broken only by those features of comparatively recent origin (like Victoria Crater), in part because sediments deposited over the eons (when it was still a sea) have covered over the boulders and filled in the gullies, craters, etc which were originally there.

======
Stephen
Burmese
lo, I wonder if Steve has been monitoring our 'Are we there yet?' discussion:

"[a]t the risk of sounding like President Clinton, it depends on what your definition of 'there' is? By which I mean, at what point do you decide you've arrived at the rim? We're not going drive right to the rim on our very attempt and hang 2 wheels over the edge. We're going to get to a safe standoff distance from which we can see enough of the crater to make good decisions,"
helvick
Lots of meat in this update but this is a pleasant surprise:
What the rover needs to survive in winter is something between 200 and 250 watt-hours, whereas now we can survive on something less than 200 watt-hours, so even with relatively low power numbers we're able to safely operate the vehicle and get lots done," Squyres explained.
Tesheiner
On the other side of Good Hope is a fairly wide bay that is not yet named, but it is "an interesting bay for a couple of reasons," he noted. "It is one of the bays that looks from preliminary data to have one of the more shallow slopes and may be a third possibility after Duck Bay and Bottomless Bay that would give us entrée into Victoria."

That's C5.
alan
Once that assignment is done, Opportunity has a full slate ahead. "We had a wonderful planning session [Wednesday] and we've actually got a plan that extends considerably into the future now for Opportunity," Squyres reported. "The next step after characterizing the slopes is to drive right into one of those dark streaks that emanate from a couple of these alcoves. We want to drive into them and find out what they are. We will drive into the darkest spot of the darkest dark streak and try to find out what's going on there."

After that, Squyres said the plan for Opportunity is to follow the dark streak back to its source at the rim of the crater, do some work there, then drive out onto the next promontory, named Tierra del Fuego, and take picture of the eastern face of Cape St. Vincent. [The area (bay) between Cape St. Vincent and Tierra del Fuego is still not named.]

"After all that, we'll be ready to try entering Victoria crater," Squyres said. "We've got two candidates. One possibility is that we'll do a toe-dip in the Valley Without Peril and do some imaging of cliff faces." That, of course, is why the rover is spending quality time imaging the Valley's slopes. "But we have to see these images first to see if the Valley Without Peril lives up to its name or not and verify that it is safe. We would not be in there for long." There is, however, "a significant probability" Opportunity won't venture in at the Valley Without Peril. "Either way, once the work is done in this area, we're going to scoot at high speed back to Duck Bay," he added. "That's where we're going to go in."

The newly-revised plan means the rover will not be going all the way around Victoria's rim – at least not at this juncture. "What we're going to do after we finish our work inside the crater is to be determined," Squyres said. "We have several possibilities – continuing the circumnavigation by egressing out of the crater and going counter-clockwise, spending time looking at cobbles on the plains, or driving up to another crater, and we have several candidates for those."

But that is when. For now, the science team is anxious to get on with the exploration of the interior of the crater. "Exploring the interior of Victoria crater requires a completely healthy mobility system with 6 good wheels," noted Squyres. "We could traverse along the rim with 5 wheels just fine and we could drive to other craters, but the one thing we cannot do with 5 wheels is explore the interior of this crater, because it's too steep. We have 6 good wheels now, but will we in 6 months? I don't know. Therefore, we are strongly motivated to explore the interior as soon as we can while the vehicle health is still excellent."
MarsIsImportant
Oppy will check out the "land of fire" before either going into the crater at the Valley without Peril or much more likely Duck Bay!

"There is, however, "a significant probability" Opportunity won't venture in at the Valley Without Peril. "Either way, once the work is done in this area, we're going to scoot at high speed back to Duck Bay," he added. "That's where we're going to go in." "
fredk
I'm sure most of you caught the slip in the image titled "No hematite?" Yes, Oppy took that pic, but no, it's not of Torquas in Mitcheltree Ridge! Even the excellent pancam can't image that far away!

As far as I know, the Meridian berries all contain hematite.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 1 2007, 01:03 PM) *
I'm sure most of you caught the slip in the image titled "No hematite?"

And in the Inner Basin pan, Lookout Point is STILL mislabled as West Spur!

But on the whole, I like this update -- the outlining of the geologic mysteries
for Spirit to unravel and especially the part about Opportunity's not wasting
any time getting into Victoria.
CosmicRocker
It was a fantastic update, as usual. But I nearly fell out of my chair this morning when I started reading and saw that image caption. That image is from sol 1128, and was described as "pancam_frontforegrnd_L234567Rall" at the tracking site. It is one of a series of surface images Opportunity has been collecting on the trek around the rim.

The lack of hematite in the spherules at Gusev is much much less of a shock. ohmy.gif
nprev
Still not convinced that going all the way in is the best strategy. Seems that a few 'dips' as described are definitely worth doing if for no other reason than to acquire better data on the exposed strata, but why put Oppy all the way down? Would rather see her finish investigations @ Victoria from the rim then head for the horizon, just to see what might be found...
diane
I expect the reason for going in is to put the Mossbauer on some of those exposed cliffs, and to do a few RAT grinds to get under the surface. We never got close to Burns Cliff at Endurance, and there won't be another "opportunity" like this for several years, at the very least.

I didn't see anything that suggested "all they way" and I agree that it would be risky, but we need to get what we can, while we can.
nprev
True, Diane...but I would be far more comfortable with an explicit statement by Steve that there is no intention of driving Oppy all the way in. There's no need to do so, and I don't want to see this turn into a prima facie EOM action. I doubt very much that Oppy could exit as easily as she entered... unsure.gif
edstrick
I printed out and read the rover update (9 pages with the I.E.6's "smallest" font). There was a lot of interesting new information in the report, but it was rambling, and repetetive, switching back and forth between the rovers and several times restating something said a few pages earlier in similar words. Some of the text seemed to almost be a regurtitation of snippets of text from the periodic status postings on the main rover website. (the rover took mossbauer readings on this rock, morning and evening sky brightness measurements, MiniTES spectra of targets blah, blorg and blibbble....)

I hate to be fussy and critical, but I ended up skimming the report to find meaty info while skipping over marshmallow peeps filler.
Edward Schmitz
It was explicitly stated that they plan to exit the crater. This wont be a suicide dive.

ed
helvick
I also hate to be critical but I noticed a number of typos and editing bloopers also (Insulation vs Insolation when talking about available solar power for example). I really, really like the Planetary Society rover updates ,including this one, and maybe the answer is to have a way for some enthusiastic amateurs to post in errata.
CosmicRocker
nprev: I don't know that we need an explicit statement from the PI that this is not a kamikaze plan. They have made it pretty clear that they do not want to enter unless they can be confident of a subsequent exit. They attempted to approach one of the inner dune tendrils in Endurance and almost got stuck. I don't see them trying to go into this abyss. They will surely try to remain on solid ground.

Regarding the MER update, we shouldn't be to critical. It is obvious that we all appreciate the information Ms. Rayl is documenting in these things for us. They are essentially sol-by-sol summaries of rover activities with an overlying layer of context for us enthusiasts. Considering the huge number of amazing observations these rovers are making, that is quite a task. As hard as I try, I notice that I make typographical errors. I tend to not worry about them unless they were seriously misleading.
Bobby
Spirit Finds Past Water at Home, Opportunity Takes in Tierra del Fuego

http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0430_Ma...ate_Spirit.html
fredk
Interesting description of this odd hazcam frame.
"We were doing just a standard IDD unstow and it stopped part way through the unstow process. It scared the living daylights out of us, because this IDD is the one with the problem with the shoulder," recalled Squyres. "We thought something terrible might have happened."
It turned out to be an obscure "angle 360 wrapping" bug.
mhoward
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 1 2007, 10:53 PM) *
It turned out to be an obscure "angle 360 wrapping" bug.

The detailed description of the bug is actually a bit funny, but probably only to an engineer. laugh.gif
fredk
Lot's of info in this one.
The only way to get rid of the dust is to let it slowly settle out. A typical rate, Lemmon said, is something like one percent a day. "So even if all the storms on Mars shut down today, you're talking about two or three months before you're back to normal levels."
And what the heck is going on here:
If Mars wasn't enough of a challenge, the rovers are now facing a death threat down here on Earth, as a bill wending its way through the Senate threatens to shut down the rovers and pull the funding plug. It's part of the continued budget cuts from the science programs at NASA to fund the return to the Moon announced by Pres. Bush in January 2004 as part of his new Vision for Space Exploration.
helvick
Minor conversion error in there:
"It's cooler by 10 to 20 degrees Celsius [50 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit]

Well no, that would be 18 to 36 degrees Fahrenheit since this is a delta not an absolute temperature.
Juramike
A little off topic here, but I saw this on the UMSF login screen:

Click to view attachment

It looks like the The Planetary Society is thinking waaaay beyond the Solar Sail. wink.gif

You go!
Eluchil
An excellent update as usual. The comments on the low power fault protection mode seemed a bit odd to me though. Didn't Spirit enter it when it experienced the early continuous reset anomaly?
djellison
Yes it did, but because of the reset issue, it couldn't really follow it through with normal low power fault ops.

Doug
CosmicRocker
Wow! I'm not even going to attempt to elaborate beyond that update. Salley, if you are reading this, that was one of your best ever updates. I feel updated on several levels. wink.gif

As I read through it I was collecting quotes to comment on, but I loved the one you ended with...

In reflecting on the last several weeks, Squyres typically put things in perspective. "No one's ever known what it's like to be in one of these storms," he said. "We're lucky we've lasted long enough to experience this. We may come out the other side and we may not. If we do come through the other side -- okay, it's going to be one more phenomenal accomplishment for the mission. If we don't, well, this is one of the two acceptable ways for the rovers to go."
Del Palmer
http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0831_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

Looks like Steve Squyres was busy with other rovers (and polar bears) this month:

Squyres was leading a team to test out past and present life-seeking instruments for future Mars rovers on NASA's Arctic Mars Analog Svalbard Expedition and facing "some very challenging conditions," as he put it. "In 10 years of doing rover field tests, it turned out to be the first time I've had a command approval meeting interrupted by a polar bear," he elaborated. The humans stood down, the bear was diverted from the test rovers, and Squyres returned to his Cornell University MER base in one piece earlier this week.
Del Palmer
More from NASA's Arctic Mars Analog Svalbard Expedition:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/news/amase/index.html

Steve's journal entry:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/new...e07_entry5.html
tty
I wonder why they chose Svalbard? Admittedly it is the part of the Arctic that it is simplest and cheapest to get to (but definitely not the safest part since it has a very high density of polar bears). However it has a very maritime arctic climate. I would have thought that a dry arctic environment (e. g. northeastern Greenland, Wrangel's land or the Parry archipelago) would be much more relevant for Martian research.
CosmicRocker
Hehe...I guess it is good to hear that Steve managed to avoid being eaten by a bear. There is a high probability he will survive the rovers, too. cool.gif

It might be interesting to hear more about why this location was chosen for the tests. But after reading the descriptions of the experiments that were performed, they seemed more aimed at simulating communications between a rover's instruments and its controllers on Earth. If that is the case, the local climatic conditions might be of secondary importance.
Del Palmer
http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0930_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

Interesting news regarding calibration:

Bell said he was hoping they could figure out a way to use these calibrated images to generate the JPEGs that go out to the public every day, so that those who are working to make their own mosaics or are otherwise working with the images on their own don't have to completely re-invent this wheel. Stay tuned for that.
fredk
It seems that some of the imaging gurus here have not just re-invented the wheel, but improved on it substantially! smile.gif
CosmicRocker
I for one, hope that Jim and his team are successful. I don't want to mess around with extra processing, or wait for others to post a view that can be useful. We have some really awesome people here, but let us take all the informed help we can get. wink.gif
Go Jim, go.
jamescanvin
Well I've already re-invented the wheel as best I can, but this would still be most welcome. Applying this step to the stretched jpegs is not ideal, having JPL do it first would work much better. smile.gif

James
ugordan
Wow... imagine having calibrated jpegs instead of raws. They could still be histogram stretched linearly as they are now, but additional info on what luminance the lowest and highest DNs are exactly so we could reconstruct the original dynamic range from 8bit jpegs, while retaining a good portion of it. The actual image quality per jpeg would go up because the algorithm wouldn't have to encode the flatfield noise as actual data.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.