Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Planetary Society Rover Updates
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
lyford
We are so spoiled by such access....

"Allow 4 to 6 weeks for results"
Stu
Absolutely superb write-up, as always. These Updates put the efforts of many newspaper/magazine space journalists to shame.
nprev
So true, Stu. The amount of detail & plain-language analysis presented by TPS on the Web is simply staggering in both quality & quantity. Mr. Ryl's MER updates are always must-reads, as of course is Emily's blog; hope they get the professional recognition that they have earned.

Also, congratulations to you, Eduardo, and all the other members of UMSF's truly formidable talent brigade for consistently providing integral features for these articles! smile.gif
Stu
A.J.S. Rayl is a lady called Salley, by the way... smile.gif
cbcnasa
I have found the Planetary Society as a great source and easy to read, as a high school teacher I have shared several of the blog reports with students and the students have learned from them while at the same time the blogs are informative to those of us who are more aware of the topics. rolleyes.gif
nprev
QUOTE (Stu @ May 2 2009, 03:52 AM) *
A.J.S. Rayl is a lady called Salley, by the way... smile.gif

D'oh!!!!! sad.gif Thanks for the correction, Stu, and my apologies to Ms. Rayl if she ever happens to read this!
Marz
QUOTE (Stu @ May 2 2009, 03:11 AM) *
Absolutely superb write-up, as always. These Updates put the efforts of many newspaper/magazine space journalists to shame.

fyi: Emily has an excellent article about the icy moons of Saturn in June's Sky & Telescope.
Bobby
This is a few days late. I was away on a Trip

http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/0531_Ma...ate_Spirit.html
Bobby
Happy 4th USA

Here is the latest update on our Rovers:

http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/0630_Ma...ate_Spirit.html
BrianL
So, they are now considering experimenting with intentionally locking up the RF wheel. Good idea. biggrin.gif
CosmicRocker
I thought that was a good idea when you first proposed it. This update also mentioned a local Venturi effect at Spirit's location, which may be cleaning the solar panels. I think I first read about that concept in this forum, too.
climber
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 6 2009, 06:45 AM) *
...This update also mentioned a local Venturi effect at Spirit's location, which may be cleaning the solar panels. I think I first read about that concept in this forum, too.

I think so wink.gif
I first proposed Venturi effect for Larry's look-out significant cleaning and again were we are now. It's nice to be proved to be right once in a while smile.gif
Anyway, I'm still puzzled by such a big cleaning by Venturi effect knowing how thin the atmosphere is.
serpens
QUOTE (climber @ Jul 6 2009, 07:57 PM) *
I'm still puzzled by such a big cleaning by Venturi effect knowing how thin the atmosphere is.

Well the dust on the panels is airfall and ultra fine (I think SQ made an analogy to cigarette smoke) so it should be easy to loft with increased windspeed. But there is no real evidence that this event was anything more significant than dust devil action - particularly given the large DD animation on the Spirit thread.
Nirgal
My favorite quote in this MER update:

The big news – and the best news – from Meridiani Planum this month though is that the team has found a way to mitigate the elevated currents drawn by the rover’s right front wheel motor. “The currents have been more normal than we’ve seen in a long time. While we still see some elevation in that right front wheel current, especially on turns, overall the driving was pretty stable this month.” Laubach reported. That comes as real relief, especially considering that Opportunity still have some 15 kilometers to go to get to Endeavour.

And my all-time favorite:

"drive, drive, drive" Squyres said wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
ElkGroveDan
Anyone have any ideas as to what this "way" to mitigate is? Does it involve programming it to turn with the other wheels and leave that one alone?
BrianL
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 5 2009, 06:25 PM) *
Anyone have any ideas as to what this "way" to mitigate is? Does it involve programming it to turn with the other wheels and leave that one alone?

I believe it was adding heating to resting to re-distribute the lubricant that has yielded these better results.
Bobby
Happy New Years to all UMSF members and may it be a good year for both rovers especially Spirit. unsure.gif

http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/1231_Ma...ate_Spirit.html
Den
QUOTE (Bobby @ Jan 2 2010, 12:35 PM) *
Happy New Years to all UMSF members and may it be a good year for both rovers especially Spirit. unsure.gif

http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/1231_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

I'm getting error 404
elakdawalla
The story was originally posted in the wrong year -- I've edited the various links to make them work.
brellis
It's like 1999 all over again, hehee. laugh.gif
Bobby
While Spirit still Sleeps

Oppy is going to keep driving onto The Parking Lot without parking itself for a long time. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

http://www.planetary.org/news/2010/0831_Ma...ate_Spirit.html
fredk
A few highlights:

“We’re going to try and beat MSL to find phyllosilicates,” Arvidson announced.

“The wheels are very well-behaved,” reported Callas. “We’re quite pleased with the current levels of all the wheels.”

“The rim is connected and the northern part that is closest, Cape York, and the surrounding hydrated sedimentary rocks at Botany Bay, where we are heading, are on a lower part of the rim, so we just cannot see them yet,” Arvidson reminded.

About this last quote, have we heard a reference to Botany Bay at Endeavour before? They seem to agree that York is somewhat inside Endeavour.
eoincampbell
Update for March end (2011) includes fascinating read on hailing Spirit as well as our Stu!...
http://www.planetary.org/news/2011/0331_Ma...te_Spirits.html
(sorry if wrong thread but references to A.S.J. Rayl's wonderful monthly P.S. updates are somewhat scattered!)
Oersted
There is a small error in the article, R. V. Morris is referred to as both "Richard" and "Robert"...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.